Author Topic: Post your Topre Keyboard  (Read 2625251 times)

Offline quovadis123

Re: Post your Topre Keyboard
« Reply #4300 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 09:21:50 »
Show Image

Show Image

Topre-compatible keycap.
Nice.  :thumb:
PFU HHKB Professional 2 45g
PFU HHKB Professional 2 Type-S 55g
Realforce 23UB 55g Silenced
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL White

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4301 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 09:47:41 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4302 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 09:49:25 »
Darth vander on his hacking happy board of keys
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #4303 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 09:50:51 »
null

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4305 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:06:09 »
Changed around to some artisans I got this week.

90597-0
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #4306 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:30:50 »
So I just spent 2.5 hours modding my HHKB and Realforce 23UB into uniform 55g, and then I made my Realforce 87UB into a hybrid where it's uniform 45g except the spacebar, ESC, enter, and backspace.

The HHKB needs to come stock in 55g... OMG... I don't know why I waited so damn long to do this... damn you laziness... The thock and tactility just went through the roof... This thing is so damn tactile and soft. This is how HHKB was meant to be... Who am I kidding... 55g was always king of any Topre. Lol!

The 23UB is just Realforce 55g. In other words, just plain awesome.

I think this 87UB is better than a regular uniform 45g because the spacebar, enter, and spacebar DEFINITELY benefit from 55g domes because of the extra stiffness to support the larger keys. The ESC is because I had an extra 55g dome left, and it was the most obvious place to put the remaining dome. This keyboard is surprisingly good feeling... I was originally planning to sell it but now I'm afraid I might end up keeping it... *sigh* Seriously feels like a workhorse board. I could type on this thing for hours without fatigue, and it's a huge contrast to the HHKB feel.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:32:29 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4307 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:41:19 »
So I just spent 2.5 hours modding my HHKB and Realforce 23UB into uniform 55g, and then I made my Realforce 87UB into a hybrid where it's uniform 45g except the spacebar, ESC, enter, and backspace.

The HHKB needs to come stock in 55g... OMG... I don't know why I waited so damn long to do this... damn you laziness... The thock and tactility just went through the roof... This thing is so damn tactile and soft. This is how HHKB was meant to be... Who am I kidding... 55g was always king of any Topre. Lol!

I think this 87UB is better than a regular uniform 45g because the spacebar, enter, and spacebar DEFINITELY benefit from 55g domes because of the extra stiffness to support the larger keys. The ESC is because I had an extra 55g dome left, and it was the most obvious place to put the remaining dome. This keyboard is surprisingly good feeling... I was originally planning to sell it but now I'm afraid I might end up keeping it... *sigh* Seriously feels like a workhorse board. I could type on this thing for hours without fatigue, and it's a huge contrast to the HHKB feel.

I know!! I just made the swap a few weeks ago, it's night and day. 55g HHKBs are a dream.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #4308 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:49:48 »
Welp, looks like I'm buying a 55g Realforce soon. Glad I sold 2/3 of the extra Topres I had in the last couple days at least.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4309 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:50:41 »
I know!! I just made the swap a few weeks ago, it's night and day. 55g HHKBs are a dream.

Yeeeee, mang. I'm just glad I had the sudden urge to do it today, and went through with it. Feels mad good, but the Realforce is now going to end up being the workhorse Topre board, and the HHKB a pleasure board.

Welp, looks like I'm buying a 55g Realforce soon. Glad I sold 2/3 of the extra Topres I had in the last couple days at least.

Do it. Be sure to spend some time on the Realforce 55g before you make any decisions! You may at first think it's too stiff, but let it grow on you, you won't regret it. And make sure to type on it for awhile before modding your HHKB :P

You can't lose!... except some money. Lol.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4310 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:53:21 »

Yeeeee, mang. I'm just glad I had the sudden urge to do it today, and went through with it. Feels mad good, but the Realforce is now going to end up being the workhorse Topre board, and the HHKB a pleasure board.

I need money so I have to sell the RF, the only reason I bought it was for the swap, my extra domes went to SpAmRaY. Him telling me to man up and buy the board to do the swap was one of the main reasons I did it.  :))

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4311 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 19:58:14 »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4312 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 20:04:25 »
I need money so I have to sell the RF, the only reason I bought it was for the swap, my extra domes went to SpAmRaY. Him telling me to man up and buy the board to do the swap was one of the main reasons I did it.  :))

LOLOL! I won't lie... I actually did the swap too with the intention of selling the Realforce Hybrid because I'm sitting on too many things I don't use often enough... but the Hybrid feels pretty good right now... I'll probably play with it a bit and see how it goes from there. LOL!

Show Image

LOLOLOL! Leave it to me or Bromius to break a thread with gifs. HUE!

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #4313 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:29:36 »
Nice Vesper, super jelly, I need to make my HHKB and 23ub 55g.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4314 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:39:31 »

Thank you!!!

You totally should! You could totally have the same set up as me, and still have a 45g HHKB with your Type-S!

Only thing is that it takes awhile to do... so so many screws... Be careful not to strip any if you do! I got close once by accident, but gladly I didn't. Also... aligning those cup rubbers to the plate/switch base can be a B. The best way to do it is to put the domes inside the switch (make sure the dome base/squares are aligned to the switch bottom, place the springs inside the domes, and then place the PCB on top, and then screw it in. You'll have to do this while holding the plate/HHKB top case up in the air so that the Topre stems are dropped, and you can align the domes onto the bottom of the switch. If you have it on the desk, the switches will be depressed and you won't be able to align the domes. Try not to move the PCB around otherwise you risk misaligning the domes.

This may all seem confusing but once you've opened the keyboard up and you're putting it back together, you'll see what I mean :)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4315 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:42:52 »

Thank you!!!

You totally should! You could totally have the same set up as me, and still have a 45g HHKB with your Type-S!

Only thing is that it takes awhile to do... so so many screws... Be careful not to strip any if you do! I got close once by accident, but gladly I didn't. Also... aligning those cup rubbers to the plate/switch base can be a B. The best way to do it is to put the domes inside the switch (make sure the dome base/squares are aligned to the switch bottom, place the springs inside the domes, and then place the PCB on top, and then screw it in. You'll have to do this while holding the plate/HHKB top case up in the air so that the Topre stems are dropped, and you can align the domes onto the bottom of the switch. If you have it on the desk, the switches will be depressed and you won't be able to align the domes. Try not to move the PCB around otherwise you risk misaligning the domes.

This may all seem confusing but once you've opened the keyboard up and you're putting it back together, you'll see what I mean :)

It does seem like quite a job, just aligning the domes must be so annoying. I just need to find a well priced 55g board and the extra cash to buy it :) Busy trying to buy a house, so it's gonna have to wait a little unfortunately.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4316 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:43:01 »

You are a bad influence...
Now I'm tempted to rip my RF87U and my HHKB to try this...
null

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4317 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:50:09 »

It does seem like quite a job, just aligning the domes must be so annoying. I just need to find a well priced 55g board and the extra cash to buy it :) Busy trying to buy a house, so it's gonna have to wait a little unfortunately.

Good thing you have your priorities straight! What about your RF 10AE 55g??? But then again, I'd understand if you don't want to risk opening that baby... so precious...

You are a bad influence...
Now I'm tempted to rip my RF87U and my HHKB to try this...

Do eeeeeeeeeeet. Hue. It is a pain in the ass to do though. I warned you! But you might be pleasantly surprised and satisfied once it's all said and done!

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4318 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 03:40:56 »
Good thing you have your priorities straight! What about your RF 10AE 55g??? But then again, I'd understand if you don't want to risk opening that baby... so precious...

Exactly, that thing is my baby and I would probably say my favourite board overall. 55g Topre is the only way, I understand why people try 45g (excluding HHKBs) and go "mhhh topre isn't that great" 55g just gives it the proper thock and tactile feel that you expect.

Offline Moralless

« Reply #4319 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 07:28:12 »

You finally did it Vesper! Surprised it only took you 2.5 hours, it took me 3 hours just lubing up the stems on my hhkb  :-[ Gahh already planning on harvesting a novatouch for the stems now you hae me wanting to get a realforce just for the domes :/

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #4320 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 11:18:33 »
One of these things is not like the other...one of these things, doesn't belong...

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #4321 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 14:34:35 »
So happy to have joined the club! 

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4322 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 14:50:35 »
Here is my new HHKB Pro 2 Type-S:

90667-0

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4323 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 08:32:07 »

(Attachment Link)

It is definitely looking good!

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4324 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 19:19:21 »
One of these things is not like the other...one of these things, doesn't belong...

Very silver :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4325 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:10:23 »
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4326 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:26:55 »
HHKB altar?

much approval!
null

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4327 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 14:55:21 »

You finally did it Vesper! Surprised it only took you 2.5 hours, it took me 3 hours just lubing up the stems on my hhkb  :-[ Gahh already planning on harvesting a novatouch for the stems now you hae me wanting to get a realforce just for the domes :/

Yay! Yeah... I dunno, it might have been closer to 3 hours but yeah~ once I get in the zone I be all workin' like a Chinese assembly line and sheet.

GIT DA DOMES. Your fingers deserve them.

Show Image

Now you just need an blank red ESC, and then it'll be perfect!!!

(Attachment Link)

Crazy combo of caps, mang. Nice :)

Show Image

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #4328 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 16:51:16 »

Show Image

Gotta love the white on black. :) Nice.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4329 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 16:30:23 »

Cleaned my board and caps today

Mid-way:

End result:

PS: All of the purple modifiers are exactly the same colour, but the light seems to have them off-colour a bit.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4330 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 16:35:49 »

Cleaned my board and caps today

Mid-way:

Show Image

End result:

Show Image

PS: All of the purple modifiers are exactly the same colour, but the light seems to have them off-colour a bit.

I like how the purple v2 is hiding within the mods. :D

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #4331 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 18:27:32 »
@byker , i cleaned mine today too!

no naked shots, but i did put a Topre to MX Slider in there.

I also was brainstorming a enebrick type portable setup, minus the bluetooth. Got it all working as proof of concept, I'd need a much smaller battery as well as a case for it all that could also be a stand. I was thinking an nes controller,but battery size would be the problem. It'd be neat to fit it all inside the hhkb itself, but seems like a bit of a stretch in terms of space.

usb to power
usb to mini b
Apple camera connection kit
cheero DANBOARD battery
4 port amazon usb3 hub that i took apart
hhkb type-s| jd40 | jd45 | keycool87

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4332 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 18:31:39 »
@byker , i cleaned mine today too!

no naked shots, but i did put a Topre to MX Slider in there.

Show Image

I also was brainstorming a enebrick type portable setup, minus the bluetooth. Got it all working as proof of concept, I'd need a much smaller battery as well as a case for it all that could also be a stand. I was thinking an nes controller,but battery size would be the problem. It'd be neat to fit it all inside the hhkb itself, but seems like a bit of a stretch in terms of space.
Show Image

usb to power
usb to mini b
Apple camera connection kit
cheero DANBOARD battery
4 port amazon usb3 hub that i took apart

Nice clacks!  ;D  That bluetooth setup is cool! If you are looking for a smaller one, check out Hasu's controller. He made a bluetooth replacement controller for the hhkb that allows your to set all of the key controls. You can put your name on a waiting list to purchase one too!

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #4333 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 18:39:37 »
snip

Nice clacks!  ;D  That bluetooth setup is cool! If you are looking for a smaller one, check out Hasu's controller. He made a bluetooth replacement controller for the hhkb that allows your to set all of the key controls. You can put your name on a waiting list to purchase one too!

All those red eyes  ^-^

I read up on it a few months ago, so sweet. Eventually I'll tackle that project :3  Hopefully the waiting list won't be too long.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #4334 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:17:51 »

heaven...
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4335 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:26:53 »
snip

All those red eyes  ^-^

I read up on it a few months ago, so sweet. Eventually I'll tackle that project :3  Hopefully the waiting list won't be too long.
The waiting list wasn't too bad. Waited a couple months and I just heard from Hasu that he'll be assembling the batch I'm in pretty soon!
null

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #4336 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:53:33 »
snip

All those red eyes  ^-^

The waiting list wasn't too bad. Waited a couple months and I just heard from Hasu that he'll be assembling the batch I'm in pretty soon!

That's wonderful news :3  That will give me plenty of time to try out 55g topre and if i like it, make a 55g hhkb type-s.

Actually speaking of, has anyone tried putting heavier conical spring inside the domes? I tried searched around a bit and didn't find anything.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4337 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:07:59 »
snip

All those red eyes  ^-^

That's wonderful news :3  That will give me plenty of time to try out 55g topre and if i like it, make a 55g hhkb type-s.

Actually speaking of, has anyone tried putting heavier conical spring inside the domes? I tried searched around a bit and didn't find anything.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just source similar springs to the spacebar spring and put them over each switch?
null

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #4338 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:22:09 »
snip

All those red eyes  ^-^

Wouldn't it make more sense to just source similar springs to the spacebar spring and put them over each switch?

Ha wow that's a much better idea.  I had conical springs on the mind from taking my board apart    :))

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4339 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:09:30 »

my daily driver! :)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4340 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:10:16 »
Show Image

Looks nice... but that spacebar  :-X
null

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4341 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:16:27 »
Show Image

Simple but cool cody! Also Sygaldry I don't know what you mean, it looks like cody has his space facing the right direction.  :p

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4342 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:37:40 »
Show Image

Simple but cool cody! Also Sygaldry I don't know what you mean, it looks like cody has his space facing the right direction.  :p

(had this .gif in my clipboard, but I find it very fitting for this post)
null

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4343 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:48:22 »
Show Image

flipped spacebar cru

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4344 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:50:15 »
Topre sucks. Cherry forever.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4345 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:52:38 »
Oh snap.
Shots fired.
Great first post.
null

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4346 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:00:24 »

You have the craziest post count changes.  :confused:

Also welcome to GH!  :p

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #4347 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:01:46 »
Show Image

flipped spacebar cru

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4348 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:09:19 »

I think you made a (simple) mistake here (it's okay though! I'm here to help).  The :-X face is meant to imply a feeling of uncertainty or disgust.  I believe you were looking for the :cool: emoticon, which means that what he has done is "cool" or otherwise approved.   :thumb:

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4349 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:12:10 »

I think you made a (simple) mistake here (it's okay though! I'm here to help).  The :-X face is meant to imply a feeling of uncertainty or disgust.  I believe you were looking for the :cool: emoticon, which means that what he has done is "cool" or otherwise approved.   :thumb:

My mistake.

Corrected with my face of "approval":

:cool:

Here's a good one too; much "approval"!
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:14:12 by Sygaldry »
null