Author Topic: Recommendations for keys for a Massdrop ALT  (Read 6215 times)

Offline TheProwess

Recommendations for keys for a Massdrop ALT
« on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 06:46:15 »
Hi! I'm new to the MK community (first time builder) and hoping you can help!

I started with a Massdrop ALT, 67g purple Zealios V2 switches, and Ducky Ultra Violet keycaps with some Tai-Hao accents (yes, I totally fell in love with Tfue's original board. I still don't know who he is. ;D)

https://imgur.com/a/3PehsRU

The problem is of course the lack of 1.75U right shift, and the wrong key profiles on the right-hand side.

I thought the best solution would be to find an additional set with the correct keys, and just replace all of the purple keys on the left and right-hand sides. Am I right in thinking they would have to be Cherry profile and the correct layout (like GMK) for this to work?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Offline typo

Re: Recommendations for keys for a Massdrop ALT
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 20:57:31 »
I think Drop has sets for those. My board is a similar layout. What is wrong with the caps? I never tried those switches. I am interested. I like your kitty!

Actually the Tai Hao are very good. They are much thicker than most people think. Look at them or better yet use a caliper. Why didn't you like them? I would just keep those instead of waste more money.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2020, 00:54:14 by typo »

Offline TheProwess

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 11:19:10 »
Thanks! I checked out Drop and some of the GMK sets and I solved my own problem. I saw the GMK Apollo group buy, and well... I bought it.

So it looks like I'll have fully matching caps soon. ;D

You're right about the Tai-Haos being good! I really like them, so I will keep them (and the Duckys) for a future 60% board. Thanks!

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:26:31 »
I had mentioned this elsewhere if you did not see. The Tai Hao are 100% POM. The Vortex are only 5% POM. POM IS 35% stronger than PBT. That is why they are not as thick but still feel just as solid because they do not flex. First of all they are only $60 and come in many color ways. Second, I do not think you can obtain a better shine through set at any price. You got the best set if you wanted shine through. My set is much nicer and much more money but there is almost no light at all and certainly not shine through. They are so thick they almost touch each other. Having the absolute thickest caps is not always the best thing. Plus since I bought pick and choose, like Modifiers, enter, space, alphas ETC you honestly got a much better "value". Your keys are just as strong as mine and cost a fraction of mine, I just employ stupidity when I shop. People around here like to insult Tai Hao but the truth is they probably know nothing about them. Drop picked very good keys. To pick $60 keys no wonder a Chinese non custom board can run up to 300 bucks complete. I think it started at $250. The other nice thing about those is they do not fit too tight. You can pull them on your hot swap board without fear of pulling the switches. You should be very pleased with them. I am not sure why you felt you needed to replace the caps though? I would have gotten another Tai Hao set. Since they have way more color ways. Plus, you now have ABS? Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:25:06 »
POM is great if you don't mind how they feel....Very solid, but super slick....If you're used to PBT where it generally is a bit rougher in texture, you probably won't enjoy POM simply because it feels so slick....

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:01:35 »
See other thread. Someone is doubting they are POM but yes they felt like shined ABS to me. I only handled them. Never typed on them.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:33:55 »
That actually sounds great. Stronger than PBT but slick like ABS? Sounds like the perfect cap. I always loved when my old keyboards would start to shine. Easier to clean that way too.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 21:32:01 »
I always "pre shine" my ABS! See my old threads. I use an automotive compound for bodywork to do it. You must use the right one or it will eat the cap! I do it to SA and GMK because I am careful and tape off the "skirts".

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 03:14:00 »
On topic. To the OP, I guess you are all set? The trick is to look for a GMK custom group buy. Many of them out there. They will have 65% then. 65% is pretty common with us. You could not possibly commission GMK yourself. As you found out a 104+ set will not fit. You just need to locate a 65% group buy. Even Drop has them. I bet that is where you got them too? Plus Drop's price is good. GMK average is $200 and up to $300. I saw a special edition set for $1,000! I really like Drop. The ALT is a good board. Forget it is made in China. It is still good quality. I think better than KBDFAN. I know I am going to get flamed again now. It is more money, okay?
Maledicted, were you just appeasing me or were you being serious? For everything I know they are POM I have no reason to think otherwise. Including being told so by Tai Hao.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 08:35:52 »
On topic. To the OP, I guess you are all set? The trick is to look for a GMK custom group buy. Many of them out there. They will have 65% then. 65% is pretty common with us. You could not possibly commission GMK yourself. As you found out a 104+ set will not fit. You just need to locate a 65% group buy. Even Drop has them. I bet that is where you got them too? Plus Drop's price is good. GMK average is $200 and up to $300. I saw a special edition set for $1,000! I really like Drop. The ALT is a good board. Forget it is made in China. It is still good quality. I think better than KBDFAN. I know I am going to get flamed again now. It is more money, okay?
Maledicted, were you just appeasing me or were you being serious? For everything I know they are POM I have no reason to think otherwise. Including being told so by Tai Hao.

I have no reason to appease anybody just for the sake of doing so. I don't know what to think about you, and thus reserve overall judgement. I know nothing about caps, since I don't care much about them other than being nice and thick, and at least matching the board. You obviously know a lot more about them than I do. I have looked at the ALT myself, if I were ever to want to get one of the scene's hipster boards. It is certainly better than the stupid AK33 75% I got on Amazon.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 13:48:01 »
My bad. I was thinking you were someone else, duh. Alt is a good board. Not the best but very good. Tai Hao are not nearly the best caps but they are the best shine through. I did the same as OP. I put better caps without shine through on my board. My board is not an Alt. It is Korean. I honestly do not know what because I do not speak Korean. I know it is built like a tank and I paid a lot for it. I don't think I got ripped off because everyone else was driving the price higher. I was set on winning. You have to understand, I am kind of crazy but I mean well.

Offline longford

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 19:13:56 »
On topic. To the OP, I guess you are all set? The trick is to look for a GMK custom group buy. Many of them out there. They will have 65% then. 65% is pretty common with us. You could not possibly commission GMK yourself. As you found out a 104+ set will not fit. You just need to locate a 65% group buy. Even Drop has them. I bet that is where you got them too? Plus Drop's price is good. GMK average is $200 and up to $300. I saw a special edition set for $1,000! I really like Drop. The ALT is a good board. Forget it is made in China. It is still good quality.
Is it really important to have RGB friendly see through key caps for the Alt? I saw the Ash, and a couple open group buys posted in the group buy forum.. they all seem pretty solid, assuming they might not all look good for Alt colors to shine thru.

I ask because I'm looking at possibly picking up the Alt right now. As you know :D
Anyway, I also saw a 65 samurai set on drop and the first comment in the review was that they are a good set but don't look great with rgb shine through