Author Topic: Cherry switches... ever wonder???  (Read 15557 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Cherry switches... ever wonder???
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 14:15:37 »
Quote from: karlito;2103
uhh dont know how to use this forum thingy... how do you do images now? putting as an attachment isnt working. says it's too big or something so just go to that url in your browser.

Standard BBCODE ( [img] , in this case )

You can click edit on your post to see the code in use.

I suppose I could turn on allowing HTML as well.  :)

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 15:26:16 »
hmm that's weird i tried using [img] i guess i must have messed something up.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 20:02:21 »
Looks good. Are the black keycaps from the M10 and are they exactly the same size / shape as the white ones?

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 22:00:15 »
yea the black keycaps are from the scorpius. The F key caps are all the game size. I replaced the "clear" key w/ the "num lock" key from the scorpius and the num lock is larger than the clear since they were on different rows.

i just replaced esc, f4, f8, f13 (w/ print screen), f14 (w/ scroll lock), f15 (w/ pause).

the black helps break up the function keys for me so i can hit alt + f4 easier.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 25 December 2007, 22:07:12 »
Nice work.

Still very impressed with the patience you exhibited in completing that project...and it is nice to see that you are using the keyboard regularly.  

Which reminds me...we have another member with a blue-stemmed-Cherry-equipped SMK-88 whom we haven't heard from yet.  (YOU know who you are)  ;)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 December 2007, 23:33:37 »
SLACKER!  Who is it?
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 13:45:11 »
Here's what I received in an email reply from Datacal

Quote from: Loree Rolnick
I am sorry the brown switches are discontinued.

So no more brown switches available, just like the discontinued Alps.  I guess I'll go ahead in getting either white or using the blues from my Scorpius.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline mr_sf_applet

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 14:38:56 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;2147
So no more brown switches available, just like the discontinued Alps.  I guess I'll go ahead in getting either white or using the blues from my Scorpius.

Wait a minute. What was your specific question to DataCal? Was it concerning brown Cherries in a specific model keyboard? Or was it about the availability of brown Cherry switches in general?

If this is indeed true, then what happens to the Kinesis contoured keyboards, and the Maltron, and the  Filco Majestouch versions with brown Cherry keyswitches?

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 15:30:46 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2148
Wait a minute. What was your specific question to DataCal? Was it concerning brown Cherries in a specific model keyboard? Or was it about the availability of brown Cherry switches in general?

Just the switches.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 15:38:23 »
fkeidjn, how is that vintage Fujitsu? Is it clicky? How do the keys feel?

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 21:01:48 »
Quote from: xsphat;2150
fkeidjn, how is that vintage Fujitsu? Is it clicky? How do the keys feel?

It's a capacitor rubber-cup/spring keyboard.  Initially, when pressing down on a key, you feel the spring, but after you press down far enough, the spring will release itself, pushing down the cup.  I could say it's semi-mechanical, but it's not actually mechanical.  I didn't get a chance to plug it into my ps/2 port of my computer, so I don't know whether or not it has the n-key rollover.

There should be a link in my signature to a site that explains more about the keyboard (if you could read Japanese), plus pictures.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 23:34:59 »