Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 371000 times)

Offline vtachkov

Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS and ORTHOLINEAR)
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:08:03 »
You can always invoice for the cases and shipping separately, which is common among GBs. This has a few advantages: 1) Gives you more time to decide how to handle shipping 2) Doesn't screw you or GB participants over if exchange rates change between the GB ending and when you are ready to ship 3) Makes it easier for people to change their address during the GB if they need it to be shipped somewhere else.

I'm fine with the updated shipping estimates to the US, way better than the original ones, but if a proxy would help even more I wouldn't decline.

Offline giangpn

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:10:22 »
Till when will the form most likely be open? Just stumbled this it yesterday and consider it for my YAS but don’t really want to make a quick decision in just one day :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do it, pick it up, like I just did  :))
I see dead people.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 13:11:27 »
Till when will the form most likely be open? Just stumbled this it yesterday and consider it for my YAS but don’t really want to make a quick decision in just one day :O

do it, pick it up, like I just did  :))
For now I’ve decided to go and spray paint my YAS case black and see how that turns up. Should be ready in 2 weeks easily so can always buy SKB if I don’t like the result. €15 paint >> €150 case

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 14:23:07 »
UPDATE (final sample and invoicing):
A US proxy is also something I wanted to look into. Need to decide about that as well before invoicing can start. A proxy would mean a lot of extra communication, planning and time. That's why I hope the new and cheaper shipping options I told you about here are satisfactory for you. If so, we could get along without proxy. Need some opinions about that.

Orders are still taken for these reasons, obviously.

This is really bugging me out but at the moment I can't do nothing about it, but be patient.

Btw, almost none of you who ordered the HHKB version really cares about the 6U suggestion, right?

You can always invoice for the cases and shipping separately, which is common among GBs. This has a few advantages: 1) Gives you more time to decide how to handle shipping 2) Doesn't screw you or GB participants over if exchange rates change between the GB ending and when you are ready to ship 3) Makes it easier for people to change their address during the GB if they need it to be shipped somewhere else.

I'm fine with the updated shipping estimates to the US, way better than the original ones, but if a proxy would help even more I wouldn't decline.

It's completely up to you on figuring out pricing/communication/logistics of a US Proxy. I personally don't have any issue with the lower-cost shipping option you already quoted, and unless the potential US proxy has a commercial account already in place, the domestic shipping within CONUS will be close to the direct-from-EU price already, and will entail a lot more moving pieces. My 2c is that you can invoice for the kits themselves and then separately for shipping once that is confirmed and solidified, just to get things moving.

(As a non-HHKB user) Have you put together a list of those buying HHKB cases and emailed or PM'd them directly for input, or maybe create a short google form survey and have those people fill it out for feedback?
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 14:24:41 »

Very interesting, thanks, hadn't considered this at all.
I'll think about it over the weekend.

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 14:37:24 »
It's completely up to you on figuring out pricing/communication/logistics of a US Proxy. I personally don't have any issue with the lower-cost shipping option you already quoted, and unless the potential US proxy has a commercial account already in place, the domestic shipping within CONUS will be close to the direct-from-EU price already, and will entail a lot more moving pieces.

Yes, since the 21€ option to the US offers tracking as well and it is direct, a proxy isn't that big of an advantage any more. I'll see if I can get a rebate for sending so many packages. So maybe it's possible to get it down to 20 or even 19€.

My 2c is that you can invoice for the kits themselves and then separately for shipping once that is confirmed and solidified, just to get things moving.

Good thinking, seriously considering this now.

(As a non-HHKB user) Have you put together a list of those buying HHKB cases and emailed or PM'd them directly for input, or maybe create a short google form survey and have those people fill it out for feedback?

I guess it's off the table now. If at least some would be interested in having the true 6U instead of the 7U, they would have come forward by now.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:12:16 »
As a European I would be happy with a €20 shipping fee, I'm used to $50 and upwards for all the expensive GB's :S Kinda funny to read comments about it when we don't have any other option usually :P

Offline pertain

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 21:25:06 »
UPDATE (regarding shipping):

Many of you asked if I could offer a cheaper shipping alternative. To the USA I only offered 40€ shipping so far. I chose this option because I wanted tracked shipping. I just spent some more time checking out the DHL options and it turns out I missed something before. The cheapest international (includes USA) option is 16€ and does not include tracking and insurance. BUT you can add tracking and insurance (only up to 50€ though) for additional 4€ to it. So this means 20€ is available as well now. This option allows up to 2kg. This means I can pack two SKBs and one or maybe even two extra plates in the package. The ∼40€ option allows for up to 5kg, that would mean at least five SKBs and extra plates. I made a table showing the available options. All prices include 1€ extra for packaging cost:

Destination  Option 1  Option 2
Germany  6€
  tracking
  weight up to 2kg
  insured up to 500€
  7€
  tracking
  weight up to 5kg
  insured up to 500€
Europe
(including the UK)
  15€
  tracking
  weight up to 2kg
  insured up to 500€
  17€
  tracking
  weight up to 5kg
  insured up to 500€
International
(most countries including USA)
  21€
  tracking
  weight up to 2kg
  insured up to 50€
  38€
  tracking
  weight up to 5kg
  insured up to 500€
International
(some countries like Australia and Japan)
  21€
  tracking
  weight up to 2kg
  insured up to 50€
  47€
  tracking
  weight up to 5kg
  insured up to 500€

Honestly, the cost of option 2 is not outrageous, and I like having insurance that actually covers the value of the items.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2018, 21:48:01 by pertain »

Offline EmptierVoid

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 05:12:23 »
Btw, almost none of you who ordered the HHKB version really cares about the 6U suggestion, right?

I'd like to have a 6u spacebar and longer blocker on right.
(I just don't browse GH often enough, found the GB from reddit. That might be the case for others too why people have not commented about the 6u vs 7u.)

Offline Draic

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 05:25:13 »

I'd like to have a 6u spacebar and longer blocker on right.
(I just don't browse GH often enough, found the GB from reddit. That might be the case for others too why people have not commented about the 6u vs 7u.)

I also voiced my interest in this, but we are a minority.

Offline pomk

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 08:45:54 »
I'm for 6U as well. Sadly we lost the poll in the IC phase by something like 40%-60%. 7U is still better than nothing I guess.

Offline Draic

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 09:12:44 »
I'm for 6U as well. Sadly we lost the poll in the IC phase by something like 40%-60%. 7U is still better than nothing I guess.

with free choice of PCB this isn't that big of a deal. If 7u space would be the only option I would skip the case, but only different blockers is fine by me.

Offline st0ckz

« Reply #362 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 04:51:31 »
After ordering a wkl from almost the beginning of the buy i changed for HHKB, since I have a wkl board coming..Variety is the spice of life.

Really looking forward to the case, going to stick to 14 degrees though, it'd be rude not to!

Offline phal

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 05:30:31 »
I've had a search about but can't see it listed clearly so apologies if I've missed it.

What PCBs are supported for the 75%?

Offline line

« Reply #364 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 05:48:07 »
I've had a search about but can't see it listed clearly so apologies if I've missed it.

KBD75
EEPW84 (XD84)
YMD75

Those are the ones listed on the plate layouts

Offline phal

« Reply #365 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 13:00:53 »

KBD75
EEPW84 (XD84)
YMD75

Those are the ones listed on the plate layouts

Ta! Just filled out the form for a 75% :D

Offline aydio

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 07:10:12 »
Do we receive an email when it's time to pay? I occasionally forget to check this thread only to remember a few weeks later, then I panic and rush to this thread because I don't want to miss it ;)

Offline Zuology

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 09:49:13 »
I think we're still holding pending final plate coating decision/approval and 75% sample build
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 05:23:41 »
IMPORTANT:

OK, there is a decision that has to be made before I can send out invoices. As you know, I pointed out several times how important the black plate is to me.
Quick recap:
Powder coating is not an option, because a thin layer can't be easily be achieved on a surface that has this many holes close together. The layer turns out to be too thick so the switches don't snap in nicely.
Black galvanizing was supposed to be the solution, but it turns out it has a drawback. It is not possible to galvanize stainless steel - this is only possible with "normal" steel.
I did research for other possibilities to make stainless steel black. There are solutions but they are not possible with the current prices.

I know most here expect the plate to be stainless steel, so I feel I can't just do this without letting you know.

So I need to know what is more important to you:
a) black plate / standard steel
b) bare plate / stainless steel

Again, sorry for the wait, we are very close.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2018, 05:25:38 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 05:25:45 »
galvanized black steel  :thumb:

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 05:26:49 »
Update regarding invoices:

When? probably next week.

Once invoices go out I will make a raffle. Five extra SKBs will be given away for the first 100 who payed. So many will have quite a good chance of getting an extra one. Once determined who the lucky ones are, they can choose any SKB version they want.
Hansichen and Zuology will get an extra SKB. Hansichen, because he was the first who ordered and Zuology because he was a great help. Just let me know which version you want to add.

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 06:13:51 »
About a) vs b)

The steel is not exposed to heavy weather conditions but inside a keyboard on a desk. Even normal steel will last for generations without the slightest trace of rust. Though the reflections of the shiny stainless steel is something you would notice every single day. So for me steel/black is the way to go, I just felt I had to let everyone know.

Offline Waven

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 06:24:17 »
I vote for a)

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 07:25:49 »
I'd be down with stainless but it's not a deal breaker for me.  Looking forward to this moving forward.  I wanted to confirm being in for an unanodized SKB75, is the any special notation for that in the table?
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 07:57:37 »
I'd be down with stainless but it's not a deal breaker for me.  Looking forward to this moving forward.  I wanted to confirm being in for an unanodized SKB75, is the any special notation for that in the table?

About two or three want without anodizing. Don't worry, I won't forget.

Offline Draic

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 08:11:18 »
I dislike bare metal plates, so I want a black one regardless of tradeoffs in material. So choice a) for me aswell.

Offline Data

« Reply #376 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 08:27:10 »
I like both.  Stainless is great, so is black.  I'd also be fine with an anodized aluminum plate.  /shrug

Offline E_rik

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:17:58 »
I vote for A (black standard steel)

Offline damagepoint

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:20:16 »
I'm cool with both, leaning towards the black plate though.

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:23:06 »
I vote for A as well.

Offline Hodgeman

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:26:39 »
I vote a as well, I’d prefer to keep the board all black

Offline Starston3

« Reply #381 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:27:01 »
I vote A

Offline zzzaacchh

« Reply #382 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 10:59:05 »
A, please.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #383 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 11:21:07 »
IMPORTANT:
OK, there is a decision that has to be made before I can send out invoices. As you know, I pointed out several times how important the black plate is to me.
Quick recap:
Powder coating is not an option, because a thin layer can't be easily be achieved on a surface that has this many holes close together. The layer turns out to be too thick so the switches don't snap in nicely.
Black galvanizing was supposed to be the solution, but it turns out it has a drawback. It is not possible to galvanize stainless steel - this is only possible with "normal" steel.
I did research for other possibilities to make stainless steel black. There are solutions but they are not possible with the current prices.

I know most here expect the plate to be stainless steel, so I feel I can't just do this without letting you know.

Again, sorry for the wait, we are very close.
About a) vs b)

The steel is not exposed to heavy weather conditions but inside a keyboard on a desk. Even normal steel will last for generations without the slightest trace of rust. Though the reflections of the shiny stainless steel is something you would notice every single day. So for me steel/black is the way to go, I just felt I had to let everyone know.

I am not familiar with the nuanced material benefits/differences between "normal" steel and stainless steel, as far as keyboard plate materials are concerned. I am personally fine with with either/or, but may lean towards stainless since it will play nicely with those of us who choose to run switch LEDs and be more reflective than pure black, plus it would be a nice subtle secret bling to contrast with the ninja look of the rest of the case. I may be mistaken, but I recall that you had offered to share plate schematics/design for people to get their own plates cut after? If I'm making that up, correct me of course, but that will be a good track to follow-up by individual users who may want alternative plate materials/finishes like Brass or Aluminum.

About two or three want without anodizing. Don't worry, I won't forget.

Aha, I think I missed the discussion about option to get raw/unanodized! Very cool, will have to consider this further.

Update regarding invoices:
When? probably next week.

Once invoices go out I will make a raffle. Five extra SKBs will be given away for the first 100 who payed. So many will have quite a good chance of getting an extra one. Once determined who the lucky ones are, they can choose any SKB version they want.
Hansichen and Zuology will get an extra SKB. Hansichen, because he was the first who ordered and Zuology because he was a great help. Just let me know which version you want to add.

:eek: OwO what's this?! This is a fantastic surprise, thank you. I will PM you with request, and I am blown away by your generosity! As I've said throughout, I am/was very happy to help because of the quality of the project to start with. Many thanks to PlastikSchnittstelle for this undertaking!
More

Offline online

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 13:08:40 »
A

or maybe carbon fibre?

Offline phal

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:32:12 »
Anodized for me too :)

Offline giangpn

« Reply #386 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:33:55 »
I'll go with black (A) too. even though stainless steel would reflect LEDs better, I think a black surface would create a "uniform" layer of light
I see dead people.

Offline blighty

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:35:53 »
I guess I am the odd man out, I'd prefer stainless steel, but will take what is available.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline giangpn

« Reply #388 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:38:10 »
I guess I am the odd man out, I'd prefer stainless steel, but will take what is available.

I think SS is also a solid choice, but a black plate on a custom board is (kinda) rare nowadays
I see dead people.

Offline blighty

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:49:47 »

I think SS is also a solid choice, but a black plate on a custom board is (kinda) rare nowadays

Well, with SS, one doesn't have to be as paranoid about drink spills ruining the plate's finish.  I feel like I'd need to desolder things alot quicker to prevent damage with the black plate vs letting the SS board take an alcohol bath post spill and then let air dry.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #390 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:58:42 »
Kudos for the great GB, have followed this on and off since IC and I'm very impressed with how you have planned, responded to and managed all the different aspects that came up along the way. Casting my vote for option A as well :)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkδs
« Reply #391 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:59:42 »
I would prefer a black plate as well. One of the reasons I initially got interested was the uniform black look.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline 112227

« Reply #392 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:18:48 »
black plate would be my choice. I wouldn't  care if it was acrylic, polycarbonate, aluminum, pvd brass, steel, fr4.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #393 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 17:08:40 »
Black for sure.

Offline pertain

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 17:20:02 »
IMPORTANT:

Is option A a black oxide finish? If so, is it high-temp or low-temp?

Offline macken

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 17:40:28 »
I also vote A, black plate.

Offline Shados

« Reply #396 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:30:31 »
Galvanized steel is already plenty corrosion-resistant, so A gets my vote.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #397 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:30:45 »
Black plate pls

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #398 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 23:21:31 »
I would prefer a stainless steel plate bare, personally. I like the idea of going out and getting it cerakote'd.

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline C7Kinetic

• /u/ADJ_Reflex
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 23:53:55 »
I'd prefer the black steel. However I'll be happy with either choice