Author Topic: APEX - New Design  (Read 2305 times)

Offline jstein91

APEX - New Design
« on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 11:37:04 »
So I would like to present my second real project, the APEX keyboard (the first having fallen by the wayside). I thought of this board as a way to get all the features I want in a keyboard (encoders, OLED, USB hub) but with a design I can evolve with the times and add features to as my skills and knowledge increase. At its core, I intend for it to be a daily driver that I will be able to use for many years and one that I can use and redesign as new tech comes out. The design borrows heavily from the hub keyboard created by /konstantinwerner and has obvious inspiration from the ever-sought-after Satisfaction 75.

To that end, as a base design the keyboard utilizes the unified USB C daughter board designed by Acheron Project, has an OLED, a rotary encoder, and an integrated USB hub with 2 USB A ports.

247162-0

I know that this design isnt perfect. I plan to refine the key matrix but this was easiest as a jumping off point.

247164-1

247166-2

247168-3

The full git can be accessed here: https://github.com/jstein91/Apex/tree/C-Daughter

Ive gotten to the stage where my next step is designating pins for my matrix and routing them up. I would really appreciate it if someone would take a look at what I have so far before moving to the next step. I have no background in electrical design, its just a hobby I've picked up during the downtime at my day job as a lawyer. I've read all the guides and done my own research but would be crazy to say I know what I'm doing. I would love if anyone would identify any fundamental flaws with the wiring or pcb. No critique is too harsh. This is how I learn.

A couple notes:
  • I know its not a perfect design - its a starting point.
  • Although it may not look like it, all data lines were routed deferentially.
  • I currently have a ground plane covering the entire board to get rid of the GND rats nest but plan on replacing the large zone with smaller zones around the MCU, Xtal, and USB components.
  • I know there are no mounting points, Im working on designing a case to go with the board and am exploring mounting options.
  • The wiring for the hub is from the a board designed by someone else. Ive tried to follow the data sheets and implement it properly but I could be completely wrong on that front.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:32:35 by jstein91 »

Offline apexshikari

Re: APEX - New Design
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 13:02:48 »
Good luck dude..... will keep an eye out for sure. I will be first in line :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jstein91

Re: APEX - New Design
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 09:12:52 »
So I went ahead and routed the switches.

247341-0

Now I plan to refine my placements and traces and add some silk screen.