Author Topic: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | Groupbuy is live! March 21 - April 21  (Read 46183 times)

Offline pararch

[IC] GMK Marmoreal | Groupbuy is live! March 21 - April 21
« on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:10:28 »

Groupbuy Link

Hello, and thanks for stopping by! I'm very excited to present my first set, GMK Marmoreal!

GB Date: March 21 - April 21 2022!

After a year of development we're on the home stretch now, Group Buy is live! A big thank you to everyone who gave their feedback and support throughout the project- it doesn't happen without you all. Group Buy thread should be coming up later today!

Please check out the IC form here:
Interest Form

Marmoreal: To be made of or likened to marble.

A set inspired and themed around the marble and architecture of the Barcelona Pavilion.

-A Bit of History-

More

Mies van der Rohe was commissioned by the German Government in 1928 to design and construct the German National Pavilion (more commonly known as the Barcelona Pavilion) for the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition. Collaborating with Lilly Reich, the pavilion was designed and built in a remarkably short amount of time- 18 months from design to unveiling. Completed in 1929, the building quickly became a Modernist classic, embodying the progressive, sleek and forward thinking ethos behind the movement. The original pavilion stood only for a short time, and was demolished in 1930 at the end of the exposition. In its short time standing, the pavilion gained an almost mystical aura, becoming one of the most influential modernist buildings to have ever been built; while hardly being seen by anyone. The pavilion was reconstructed during 1984-1986 by local Spanish architects and the Barcelona City Council on its original site, as a permanant structure. Rebuilt according to the original drawings and photographs, the Barcelona Pavilion in its current incarnation continues to be a remarkable piece of architecture that delights visitors today, and is a testament to Mies's skill as an architect and designer.

-Set Design-

More

The overall set colors and arrangment were inspired by the four types of marble used thoughout the pavilion's construction: Roman Travertine, Green Alpine, Ancient Green Greek and Golden Onyx. To simplify the number of colors (and cost), I opted to reduce the total number down to 3, with the green representing both the Green Alpine and Ancient Green Greek Marble. The novelties were based on significant features and moments in the current pavilion in addition to archived documents and drawings. As such, the novelties feature drawing sections and details, Georg Kolbe's sculpture Dawn, marble patterns and the like. In keeping with the Modernist basis, the choice was made to use icon modifiers, but I wanted to put a bit more fun in the set with some more elaborate novelty art.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

-Colours-

_____________________________________________________________________________________

-Kits-
**Renders are representative only. Kit Renders are closest to actual colors**

The novelties are based on significant details and moments in the Barcelona Pavilion. As numbered, the novelties are: 1. Cigar (Mies was a known chain smoker), 2. Marble Pattern, 3. Building Elevation, 4. Column detail, 5. Pavilion chair, 6. Feature wall, 7. Window joint detail, 8. Dawn by Georg Kolbe. The accent arrows have also been moved from the basekit to the novelties for the time being to reduce basekit costs.

Kitting comments and desired changes are welcomed in the IC form.
Interest Form

-Deskmats-

Inlay. Design by Summerqm

Line. Design by Summerqm

Pavilion. Design by Ulliam

Marble.

-Renders-

Haus by Hand Engineering

More

Mountain Alice by YoBoards

More

Nascent by Reticent

More

SP111 by BlindAssassin111

More

KL90 by Kiko

More

Ellora65 by Kiko

More

Paragon by Artemis Design Studios

More

Frog by Geonworks

More

Argyle by Seoucialite

More

-Vendors-

CAN: Ashkeebs
USA: Vala Supply
LatAM: Fancy Customs
EU: MyKeyboard
UK: Protozoa Studio
IND: Rectangles.Store
SEA: Zion Studios
JP: Basekeys
CN: zFrontier
OCE: Daily Clack

GB Date: March 21, 2022!

-Pricing-

Pricing will be updated as vendors send their pricing.

-Collaborations-

-Metal Artisan-

-Artisan Keycaps-

Sale Date: 2022.03.09

Sale Date: 2022.03.19

-Spacebars-

-Cables-

-Sleeves-

-Wristrest-

If you're interested in collaborating, please drop me a line on my discord! - pararch#8610

-Acknowledgements-

A huge thanks to everyone who kindly gave the time, encouragement and feedback. This set couldn't happen without you.

Special thanks to iinko, aad, Rayhhdailo, Guill3m, Ireris, Kure, Loop and Lewis for going above and beyond in giving encouragement, feedback and keeping me on the right track for the set.

Many thanks to NoPunIn10Did and Acitrin for the kitting help.

Thanks to Kiko, Obzkure, Reticent, Owlabs, Lewis, Blindassassin111 and YoBoards for graciously providing their boards for renders.

Thanks to ImperfectLink for his incredible work developing and supporting Keyboard Render Kit.

Last but not least, everyone who contributed feedback, kept me motivated and gave encouragement for the set, thank you. There's too many of you to list but I deeply appreciate your help on this journey.

-Contact-

Instagram:

Discord Server:

Discord PM: pararch#8610

-To Do-

More

-Deskmats 2022.01.01
-Vendors 2021.07.27
-Collaborators (Ongoing)
-Finalize kitting based on feedback. 2022.02.21
-Finalize novelties based on feedback. 2021.06.03
-Finalize novelties based on GMK approval. 2022.01.01
-Finalize colours based on feedback. 2021.06.03
-Better/more renders. (Ongoing)
-Get Pricing- Quotes submitted from GMK, awaiting final pricing. (Ongoing)

-Changelog-

More

-IC Posted- 2021.03.18
-Version 2.0 Revision Posted- 2021.06.03
-Mountain Alice and Nascent renders posted- 2021.06.21
-Kitting updated, Ellora65 renders posted- 2021.06.28
-Updated Mode80 renders posted- 2021.06.30
-Haus renders posted- 2021.07.19
-Vendors posted- 2021.07.27
-Deskmats posted- 2022.01.01
-Vendors posted- 2021.07.27
-Vendor update- 2022.02.17
-GB Date posted- 2022.02.22
-Collabs posted- 2022.02.22
-Added Picaps and Asero Foundry Collabs- 2022.03.01
-Archetype samples posted- 2022.03.08
-YVK Studio collab posted- 2022.03.14

-Signature-

If you wish to show your support for the set, feel free to add this signature by copying the code below and following the steps:

> Profile > Forum Profile > Signature > Paste

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111828.0][img width=240 height=90]https://i.imgur.com/2ZA2Z8d.png[/img][/url]

-Previous Version-

More

KL90 Polycarbonate by Kiko

Mode 80 by Mode Designs

Haus by Hand Engineering

SP111 by BlindAssassin111

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2022, 13:06:02 by pararch »

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:11:53 »
Changelog:

-IC Posted- 2021.03.18
-Version 2.0 Revision Posted- 2021.06.03
-Mountain Alice and Nascent renders posted- 2021.06.21
-Updated Base and Alphas Mods kit names - 2021.06.24
-Updated Kitting, added Ellora65 renders - 2021.06.28
-Updated Mode80 renders - 2021.06.30
-Added Haus renders - 2021.07.19
-Vendors Announced - 2021.07.27
-Deskmats -2022.01.01
-Kit Render fixed- 2022.01.10
-Final Novelty Artwork- 2022.01.20
-Added Paragon, Frog renders, Removed Mode80 renders pending updates- 2022.01.20
-Removed Monokei as SEA Vendor 2022.02.11
-Added Basekeys as JP Vendor 2022.02.17
-Added GB date and Collabs 2022.02.21
-Added Picaps and Asero Foundry Collabs 2022.03.01
-Added Archetype samples 2022.03.08
-Added YVK Studio Collab 2022.03.14
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2022, 00:14:16 by pararch »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:27:04 »
Hmmm interesting.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:27:17 »
I think it's quite nice!
i really like the colors you chose, they fit the theme really well, and really work together imo.
Was a nice intro read lol
I do think the novelties can be more cohesive with less thin lines.
I also think the renders can be touched up a bit with better lighting, though your SP111 renders were great

GLWIC :thumb:
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Xanira

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:27:45 »
Inverse kaiju 👍🏿

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:29:21 »
Inverse kaiju 👍🏿

I was thinking the same thing and although the colour combo works in principle I'm not sure the dark alphas and light mods play well with each other.

Offline pararch

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:54:15 »
I think it's quite nice!
i really like the colors you chose, they fit the theme really well, and really work together imo.
Was a nice intro read lol
I do think the novelties can be more cohesive with less thin lines.
I also think the renders can be touched up a bit with better lighting, though your SP111 renders were great

GLWIC :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback! and yes, looking at the renders in a smaller resolution really does show the thin lines.. something to add to the to fix list for sure. Working on getting better at renders so that'll hopefully get better as I do more. ^^

Offline Vegas_

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 22:06:31 »
very unique inspiration, you've clearly put effort into this! i like it, GLWIC :thumb:

Offline pararch

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 23:33:28 »
very unique inspiration, you've clearly put effort into this! i like it, GLWIC :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words!

Offline pararch

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 23:48:17 »
Inverse kaiju 👍🏿

I was thinking the same thing and although the colour combo works in principle I'm not sure the dark alphas and light mods play well with each other.

Thanks for the feedback! I was really trying to avoid GMK Kaiju- other than inverting the colors, the green is a deeper, and more saturated, while the orangey brown is more muted than the Pantone used in Kaiju. But please also leave your comments in the IC form, as I'll be relying on that in addition to comments to make necessary updates.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 01:32:46 »
I think the color and kitting are good. Now, can you consider adding novelties for ISO enter, at least an accent one?

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 08:51:00 »
I was very interested in the marble theme but the colours just turned out... very un-marbley. And am I the only one who sees the tampon in the novelty kit?  :))

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 10:32:52 »
PS this IC is near impossible to read on Tapatalk on mobile because of the text color. I think anyone using a day mode theme would have the same issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 11:13:09 »
GMK ujiaK

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 18:51:58 »
PS this IC is near impossible to read on Tapatalk on mobile because of the text color. I think anyone using a day mode theme would have the same issue

it's using the default text color which is white. If he used black, everyone using the regular mode can't read it.  I'm not too sure, but i think that more people are using dark mode, which is why most ic's use white. Unless it's supposed to change to black or something like that.
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline GreatKingNorann

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 11:26:45 »
Gatorade?

Offline KEYE

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 06:30:39 »
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I think a lighter colour for the alphas would help the set become more eye-catching. Nonetheless, a very nice set.

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | Major Update Live!!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 00:34:57 »
Hey all, I've been out of communication for a bit, but I've been busy at reworking a lot of stuff in this set, and I'm happy to present the Version 2 update incorporating all the feedback!

The list of changes include:

• Updating alphas, legends and accent colours.
  • Redrawing almost all novelties
  • Adding in Alpha Mod Kit
  • Rerendering sets

Deskmats, vendors and collabs still to come!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 June 2021, 19:12:35 by pararch »

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 15:58:26 »
The new colors for this are much more palatable and suit the theme much better. Great job, glad you took the feedback from the community!

Offline TomatoMan

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 17:08:31 »
Love the full white on green combo! Any chance to get a full kit without having to buy the green mods apart?

Offline saam

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 17:09:36 »
Awesome! instacop.

Sam E

Offline pararch

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:25:57 »
The new colors for this are much more palatable and suit the theme much better. Great job, glad you took the feedback from the community!

Thank you! The design critique you gave was immensely helpful in pushing things forward!

Offline pararch

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:28:15 »
Love the full white on green combo! Any chance to get a full kit without having to buy the green mods apart?

Thanks!

Not at this time, but kitting has yet to be finalized, so there may be some changes still. If there are a lot of requests for this I'll consider it, so make sure you fill out the IC form!

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:50:10 »
I think I would prefer the green as the mods and white as alphas, but obviously thats just my preference. The colors are really nice tho

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 00:05:36 »
Does not feel like a new concept  more like a switcharoo of colors from existing sets  because the first thing I saw was kaiju or bento or whatever it's called

Treeleaf is truly going insane  Please help him!!!!!!!!

Make sure the verse is right
Return who adverse to the earth, make sure that my hearse is white
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline KCK

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 16:22:10 »
ooo I really like the colourway! Kinda reminds me of a Minecraft salmon

Offline pararch

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 21:55:47 »
I think I would prefer the green as the mods and white as alphas, but obviously thats just my preference. The colors are really nice tho

Thank you!

Awesome! instacop.

Thanks for the kind words! if you haven't already please fill out the IC form as that helps a lot!

ooo I really like the colourway! Kinda reminds me of a Minecraft salmon

Thank you! I can see a bit of the resemblance there haha.

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | New Renders Added!
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 23:53:45 »
Hey everyone, I've added new renders for the Mountain Alice and the Nascent, also showcasing a full alpha configuration.

Offline Bonobo

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 13:58:29 »
I'm happy that you updated the set, but novelties look somehow big

Offline pararch

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 02:15:10 »
I'm happy that you updated the set, but novelties look somehow big

Yeah, I noticed that, a bit of a screw up on my part, but there will be another large update soontm as the novelties are under review right now for manufacturing compliance. I'll be re-rendering things once those are cleared.

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | Kitting update and new renders!
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 22:27:54 »
Kitting update is live! also added new renders featuring the Ellora65!

Kitting changes were done in response to community feedback and vendor recommendations and are as follows:

F13 Added
R3/R4 pgup/pgdn removed
R1 Pipe removed
Accent arrows moved to novelties.

The reasoning here is to keep the basekit as affordable as possible, and accent arrows in the novelties kit allows me to keep them for minimal cost.

Offline BeauxGnar

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 08:39:09 »
Personally, I feel like accent arrows being in any other kit would be a better spot for it as I personally have no attachment to the content of the novelties and will pass on them as I feel most others would as well if accent arrows were not in there(no offense, very clean designs but again the subject matter is not enough to get me to spend 50+ on it). Slapping accent arrows onto novelties feels like a trick to get people to buy the kit.

Adding them to novelties is a pretty odd decision.

Would recommend adding them to spacebar kit à la GMK Stargaze or GMK Norse(among others) as that people actually buy and will help keep the base kit price down.

Offline pararch

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 22:52:07 »
Personally, I feel like accent arrows being in any other kit would be a better spot for it as I personally have no attachment to the content of the novelties and will pass on them as I feel most others would as well if accent arrows were not in there(no offense, very clean designs but again the subject matter is not enough to get me to spend 50+ on it). Slapping accent arrows onto novelties feels like a trick to get people to buy the kit.

Adding them to novelties is a pretty odd decision.

Would recommend adding them to spacebar kit à la GMK Stargaze or GMK Norse(among others) as that people actually buy and will help keep the base kit price down.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! The problem of putting the accent arrows into the spacebars is that it introduces an additional colour into the spacebar kit, which will significantly increase cost, versus the colours already being present in the novelties kit. With that said, I'm working towards GMK quoting, so it'll be a bit of a wait and see on what comes out of that. But I do understand where you're coming from on this. Its not an optimal solution, but its the best one I have so far based on what I've heard from my vendors.

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | More Renders!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 00:06:39 »
Hey everyone! new renders featuring the Haus by Hand Engineering are up! also check out the upcoming group buy if you're interested in the board!

Offline aerospice

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 00:47:48 »
The caps on the grey HAUS is definitely one of my favorite looks for the set so far, alongside the cream Mountain Alice. By the way, any chance for a deskmat like the Barcelona Pavilion blueprint in the HAUS render? That'd be an easy cop for me

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 13:21:03 »
This looks a lot like a muted GMK Deku, which I'm already in, but it looks like this Marmoreal set has a huge advantage in that it has Alt Mods that are alpha-colored. I'm in if it makes it.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 16:34:28 »
I think you can remove the 2 R4 1.25u of Pavilion chair since 1 pair of 1.5u is enough, also please consider using the design of numpad enter novelty for iso enter, I think the number of people who actually use numpad enter novelty is significant smaller than iso enter users.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 22:20:45 »
I like the theme here, but think the set would look more classy with Icon+Text mods.

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 01:41:10 »
Yeah I think i need to be in on this one, I love the colors.  Nice work!

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | VENDORS ANNOUNCED!!
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 13:42:31 »
Hey all, I'm very happy to announce an amazing vendor lineup! Vendors listed in the post.

Offline pararch

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 13:44:44 »
The caps on the grey HAUS is definitely one of my favorite looks for the set so far, alongside the cream Mountain Alice. By the way, any chance for a deskmat like the Barcelona Pavilion blueprint in the HAUS render? That'd be an easy cop for me

Thanks so much! Perhaps- I am working with an illustrator on the deskmats right now, and we'll have at least one that has imagery from the building.

I think you can remove the 2 R4 1.25u of Pavilion chair since 1 pair of 1.5u is enough, also please consider using the design of numpad enter novelty for iso enter, I think the number of people who actually use numpad enter novelty is significant smaller than iso enter users.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll definitely consider it! I'm thinking of putting the wall onto the 1.5u instead of the chair, but I want to get GMK feedback before proceeding with updates to the novelties, as I suspect there will be changes required to meet their manufacturing standards.

I like the theme here, but think the set would look more classy with Icon+Text mods.

I did try out Icon+Text, but I wanted to keep things a bit simpler for this one. A bit of a personal preference, but while Icon + Text is a viable option on this set imo I felt mostly icon fit better with the overall theme.

Yeah I think i need to be in on this one, I love the colors.  Nice work!

Thank you!

This looks a lot like a muted GMK Deku, which I'm already in, but it looks like this Marmoreal set has a huge advantage in that it has Alt Mods that are alpha-colored. I'm in if it makes it.

Thanks! I'm hopeful that it'll make it as well  :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 July 2021, 18:02:29 by pararch »

Offline khraxion

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 05:52:52 »
Looks great. I'm a huge fan of muted colors so I'll probably get this.

Offline pleasega

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 06:50:57 »
clean

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | DESKMATS POSTED, IC FORM UPDATED!!!
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 20:01:55 »
Hey everyone, Happy New Year, and I hope you all had a great holiday! As an update going into the new year, Deskmats have been posted and the IC form has been updated, so let me know what you all think! We'll probably be running at least 2 options, but possibly more depending on the feedback. In other exciting news, we are currently looking at a February/March GB date, so stay tuned. I'll be putting up collabs and more renders as we approach that date!

Offline Oddstag

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | DESKMATS POSTED! ! !
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 06:53:47 »
I like it. Given the theme I’m surprised there is no international kit?

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 17:09:07 »
8x1.25 R4 novelties feels excessive, especially with only 2x1.5.

1.5u and 1.75u backspaces in your kit renders should be swapped, as they're currently in the wrong positions.

You have 3x1.25 controls in the bottom row in base kit render.

I enjoy the look of this set - prefer the look of the simpler deskmats though.

Offline pararch

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 23:05:52 »
I like it. Given the theme I’m surprised there is no international kit?

Given the interest I got so far, there's not enough to support an international kit unfortunately. I do agree an international kit would be nice to have and is thematically appropriate.

8x1.25 R4 novelties feels excessive, especially with only 2x1.5.

1.5u and 1.75u backspaces in your kit renders should be swapped, as they're currently in the wrong positions.

You have 3x1.25 controls in the bottom row in base kit render.

I enjoy the look of this set - prefer the look of the simpler deskmats though.

Good catches! I'll get on those, and thanks! I'll consider the novelty kitting. There's still a bit of time but considering the deadlines its going to be close. The kitting was based on GMK Seafarer with a couple additional keys added in; but thinking about it  4x1.5u and 6x1.25u may not be too bad either since it allows for a full novelty tsangan...

Offline pararch

Re: [IC] GMK Marmoreal | Finalized Artwork and Updated Renders!
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 23:07:39 »
Final versions of novelty artwork and updated renders are up!

Offline whee74

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 14:04:24 »
the #8 novelty looks great. is it a dancing person?

Offline max.clacks

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 14:12:00 »
the #8 novelty looks great. is it a dancing person?

8. Dawn by Georg Kolbe.