Author Topic: [IC] GMK Fitness Studio : GB LIVE 24th July - 24th August  (Read 49198 times)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
[IC] GMK Fitness Studio : GB LIVE 24th July - 24th August
« on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 12:44:37 »

(I would be really grateful if you could spend a couple of minutes to give us some feedback.)

The one thing me and my wife really miss during this pandemic is going to the gym together every morning. This set is inspired from our times in the Gym.

For updates to our current projects and future ones, please join our discord and follow us over Instagram at the links below.

We decided on the following kits. Feedback is really appreciated!.

Workout aka Base Kit

Motivation aka Novelties

Barbells aka Spacebars

KBD8X MK2 by KBDFans.

More

M60A Rama.

More

Fuji65 by CMM.Studios.

More

Dalco 959 Mini by Hand Engineering.

More

Strings Deskmat

XO Deskmat

EU        : MyKeyboard.eu                   
NA        : Mekibo                           
Canada    : Deskhero.ca                     
Asia      : Ilumkb                           
China     : KBDFans                         
Oceania   : Daily Clack                     
Korea     : Swagkeys                         
S.America : Fancy Customs                   

GB Date : 24th July 2022 

Hibi Metal artisan!

Cablemod cables

If you want to support this project please add this signature and spread the word. Thanks  :thumb:
To add a signature go to Profile -> Modify Profile -> Forum Profile -> Signature

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112831.0][img width=302 height=120]https://i.ibb.co/2Mhjy4q/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Special thanks to my wife for coming up with this!

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2022, 02:30:51 by SxM Designs »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
Re: [IC] GMK Fitness Studio : Bringing the gym at your desk!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 12:44:53 »
Reserved!

Offline Beenoman

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 12:50:52 »
ne jtk night sakura

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 12:54:44 »
haha I had an idea like this a while back but didn’t pursue it, cool to see it happening!

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 13:00:13 »
I'm really into this set. Consider adding 2x 3u spacebars to the spacebar kit, and forcing accents on esc and enters to save a little space in the 40s kit

Offline andromache

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 13:09:08 »
I feel like I should theoretically really love this set, but even though I love fitness/cute gymwear, the fitness-inspired novelties just strike the wrong note for me and I can't figure out how to articulate why.  I think everything that is actually appealing about fitness/gym aesthetics doesn't translate well to keycaps, I guess?

The colors of the set are nice overall, but not super original or interesting on their own.

There's nothing objectively wrong here, but I think this just isn't for me (even though I feel like it should be lol). GLWIC!!

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:29:19 »
This is alright, though I do think it's approaching on "too similar" to JTK Night Sakura. I understand that nobody owns colors, but this looks pretty darn similar.

I have to +1 the comment on the novelties not really being appealing for me, I admit I'm not a fitness person but I feel like this is just a sort of strange clash of interests or something, not sure.

I would also like to note:
Mod Legends              : GMK Stock Cold White                                               
Alphas Legends/Accents   : Custom RAL - A shade of baby pink.                                 
Alphas                   : Custom RAL - A lighter shade of blue grey                         
Modifiers/alt alphas     : Custom RAL - A shade of dark blue grey                             

This... doesn't really mean anything? I wanted to check the colors on my books to see if they were actually too close to Night Sakura or other similarly designed sets, but I can't because you haven't listed any actual colors, not even the GMK stock color.

Please update these when you figure out your color matching, it's a very important part of the process and crucial for people to know if they will like what they see. Please please please tell us the colors you end up choosing.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:35:11 »
Don't feel the novs

Offline Izeri

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:47:26 »

Could you write that in a way that makes actual sense? Thanks.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:49:41 »
too many safe colors in keycap sets nowadays, getting tiring. every time it'sjust dark gray with an accent color or any other neutral color with an accent. this was definitely not what i would consider "colorful" gym clothes... theyhave a lot of zany colors!
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:53:02 »
The color reminds me of another set, but cant remember which one lol.

I don't really know about most of the novelties. I'm a kettlebell guy so I do like the kettlebell one, the others don't feel right but I cant put it into words (maybe lack of cohesiveness?). I also like the idea of the iso nov but I feel it could be more refined to fit the "fitness/healthy-lifestyle" theme since it just kinda looks like a fruits+food bowl.

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:58:29 »
too many safe colors in keycap sets nowadays, getting tiring. every time it'sjust dark gray with an accent color or any other neutral color with an accent. this was definitely not what i would consider "colorful" gym clothes... theyhave a lot of zany colors!

Don't know about that... the best selling colors when it comes to gym clothing is grey, most gym equipment is grey/dark grey/black as well (unless customized), barbell brigade for example uses neutral colors alot and of their grey selection sells out quite quick.

EDIT: but yea I think they shouldn't have said "colorful" since alot of gym clothing is pretty plain lookin.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:03:51 »
This is alright, though I do think it's approaching on "too similar" to JTK Night Sakura. I understand that nobody owns colors, but this looks pretty darn similar.

I have to +1 the comment on the novelties not really being appealing for me, I admit I'm not a fitness person but I feel like this is just a sort of strange clash of interests or something, not sure.

This... doesn't really mean anything? I wanted to check the colors on my books to see if they were actually too close to Night Sakura or other similarly designed sets, but I can't because you haven't listed any actual colors, not even the GMK stock color.

Please update these when you figure out your color matching, it's a very important part of the process and crucial for people to know if they will like what they see. Please please please tell us the colors you end up choosing.

Hi Liz!

Well the colors are figured out. I just was not comfortable sharing them in the light of recent events. I am active over Discord. Feel free to msg me in my server or directly to me and I can show you the color codes.

In light of the comparison with JTK NightSakura, here is a little snippet!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:10:01 »

Firstly, thanks for the feedback!

I think the word 'colorful' got lost in translation somehow.

Gym wear which we wear / like are always darker shades of blues / grey with colorful accents.
Now I cannot make a 1:1 comparison of a gym wear to a keyset.
The zany /crazy colors/ patterns on gym wear might look good but on a keyboard would just look out of place.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:13:24 »

Could you write that in a way that makes actual sense? Thanks.

Added one extra line to the IC, to explain that I dont intend to disclose color codes prior to GB.
However, I am quite active on Discord. Feel free to contact me and I will show you :)

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:17:55 »
Why even include a color section lol

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:26:11 »
Why even include a color section lol

Because to tell people that this set will use custom RAL colors and the basic shade of the used color without going deep into the actual color codes.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:29:17 »
Comparing JTK NightSakura with GMK Fitness Studio. I hope this helps in the comparison  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:37:12 by SxM Designs »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 15:44:43 »
Because to tell people that this set will use custom RAL colors and the basic shade of the used color without going deep into the actual color codes.

But like, its kinda assumed to be custom color and most of us have eyes to see the basic shade of color

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 16:19:08 »

But like, its kinda assumed to be custom color and most of us have eyes to see the basic shade of color

To assume that I would be using custom colors would also mean that you would have to assume that everyone here has access to GMK stock color ring and RAL D2 book.

Now coming to the last part of your comment  "most of us have eyes to see basic shades of color" - Well we do. But most of us, are not using the same monitor /screen. As a designer, I feel its my responsibility to guide people towards the right color. I think you would agree with this sentiment.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:21:37 »

To assume that I would be using custom colors would also mean that you would have to assume that everyone here has access to GMK stock color ring and RAL D2 book.

Now coming to the last part of your comment  "most of us have eyes to see basic shades of color" - Well we do. But most of us, are not using the same monitor /screen. As a designer, I feel its my responsibility to guide people towards the right color. I think you would agree with this sentiment.

dunno about you but I've never had or seen a screen where pink looked like a different color.  I don't think there is a point to the colors section right now, it tells you pretty much nothing except contact you for colors.

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:40:13 »

Hi Liz!

Well the colors are figured out. I just was not comfortable sharing them in the light of recent events. I am active over Discord. Feel free to msg me in my server or directly to me and I can show you the color codes.

Show Image

Yeah, my concern here is that the lighting on your renders will affect your color choices, if your renders were lit a little more dimly it'd resemble JTK NS very closely, and I can't tell if the colors are different due to lighting or due to color choice.

What recent events would cause you to not want to share colors?

People want to know what they're going to be buying and sharing the colors is the only way to know for sure you'll be happy with your purchase. I am not saying that to be elitist or nitpicky, it is the ONLY way to effectively demonstrate the intended colors to consumers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:42:20 by Lizcuits »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:42:48 »

dunno about you but I've never had or seen a screen where pink looked like a different color.  I don't think there is a point to the colors section right now, it tells you pretty much nothing except contact you for colors.

I use 4 screens ( different budgets ranging from very cheap to expensive) + 3 phone screens. I can honestly tell you that the colors are very different in them all. Ofcourse a pink wont be blue but when complex colors like blue grey, blue blacks are concerned, it is very easy to miss those colors completely. In one of my monitors, the modifiers look black, which is definitely wrong.

I hope I could explain.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:54:21 »
I mean I can assume yall are using custom colors, if you don't list colors, it's probably mostly custom. The point of a colors section is to list colors so those who do have books can look at it to judge and those who don't to be able to google colors to get a rough idea of what the final product might look like.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:56:31 »

Hi Liz!

Show Image

Yeah, my concern here is that the lighting on your renders will affect your color choices, if your renders were lit a little more dimly it'd resemble JTK NS very closely, and I can't tell if the colors are different due to lighting or due to color choice.

What recent events would cause you to not want to share colors?

People want to know what they're going to be buying and sharing the colors is the only way to know for sure you'll be happy with your purchase. I am not saying that to be elitist or nitpicky, it is the ONLY way to effectively demonstrate the intended colors to consumers.

Hi,

Recent event would be copying of sets even before it goes to GB. Example : Amethyst .

Your concerns regarding colors are valid. I think there is no point going through this argument anymore. I will take some pics tomorrow from my D2 book and release the colors tomorrow. :thumb:

Offline ee

• hi
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 20:19:52 »
lunk alarm

Offline AzureBeastKing

• datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 02:33:00 »
love this color way glwic

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 02:37:52 by SxM Designs »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 05:43:34 »
love this color way glwic

Thanks for the love!!!

Offline doggo1dance

looks amazing, i barely see any resemblance with jtk night sakura tbh. not sure if the others have eye sight issues or not  ;D

glwic  :thumb:

Offline atlanticise

these colours on their own look quite nice, like 8008 and nightsakura and fuji had a baby together. but those novelties... are a little weird. not digging the theme/inspo. it would be a lot better if you associated this set of colours with something else entirely.

Offline kure_

I expected this set to be some NEON EYE MELTINESS but it looks good!

Offline nvh2092

I think the ansi novelty could use some better designs, for example: a short barbell.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
looks amazing, i barely see any resemblance with jtk night sakura tbh. not sure if the others have eye sight issues or not  ;D

glwic  :thumb:

I think the color comparison I posted will help people notice that the colors are vividly different from NightSakura!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 06:10:59 »
I'm really into this set. Consider adding 2x 3u spacebars to the spacebar kit, and forcing accents on esc and enters to save a little space in the 40s kit

Sorry I missed your feedback. Firstly, thanks for the comment!

There are already 2X3u spacebars in the spacebar kit. Or do you mean something else?

Forcing the accents on Esc/Enter on the 40s would reduce the price very little. Plus it gives a bit of flexibility to the 40s users as well. So I dont think its worth it.

Cheers!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Gives me 8008 vibes. That's not a complaint, I like it. GLWIC!

Offline WillyWortel

Interested :)

Nice color combo. I like the novelties too.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
The novelties are soooooo cute

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
I expected this set to be some NEON EYE MELTINESS but it looks good!

The initial iterations did have EYE MELTING NEON colors. But I ended up scrapping it because it looked worse to my eyes.
Thanks for the appreciation and I am really happy that you like the colors here  :cool:

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
I think the ansi novelty could use some better designs, for example: a short barbell.

I think I tried a barbell in the ansi enter. Looks weird because of a lot of negative space. I will try to do some iterations to see if it fits.
Regarding the word "motivation" why do you think it needs redesigning?

I also welcome more constructive feedback from everyone else here.

If you dont like what you see : tell me why
If you like what you see : tell me why

Also please fill the IC form. Getting feedback / comments / constructive criticism is the only way to address things :)

Offline ENG Studio

• Discord
Great colours. Hope to see this go into GB!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
Great colours. Hope to see this go into GB!

Thanks for the compliments!

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
Gives me 8008 vibes. That's not a complaint, I like it. GLWIC!

Thank you !  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Havattack

Re: [IC] GMK Fitness Studio : The GYM set!
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 13:13:23 »
Kettle bell novelty.... dumbbell novelty.....BUT NO BARBELL NOVELTY?!? 
Salad novelty.... BUT NO PROTEIN SHAKE?!?!
No syringes for the guys like The Rock, and Stalone? How are they suppose to tren hard?

Bra.... I hate to do it.... but....

Do. You. Even.

(Where's that guy with the  shirtless pic as an avatar? He would love this...)

Oh, and kidding aside, (except for the barbell... that's real talk...) great job man, good luck with the IC.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2021, 23:57:22 by Havattack »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 13:47:43 »
No syringes for the guys like The Rock, and Stalone? How are they suppose to tren hard?

Do. You. Even.

(Where's that guy with the cringey shirtless pic as an avatar? He would love this...)

Oh, and kidding aside, (except for the barbell... that's real talk...) great job man, good luck with the IC.

Lol. I laughed so hard!!
Thanks for the comments.

I did try to put a barbell in the ansi enter but that did not work. Currently I am waiting for cool feedback like yours to add something more.
Possible adding some in a 1.25u or 1.5 u.

Protein shakes are also a nice idea tbh :) Lets see.

If you havenot filled the IC please leave some feedback. We will be implementing as much as possible!!

Again, thanks for the love! Really appreciate it!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 23:59:50 »

Do. You. Even.

(Where's that guy with the cringey shirtless pic as an avatar? He would love this...)

Lol. I laughed so hard!!
Thanks for the comments.

I did try to put a barbell in the ansi enter but that did not work. Currently I am waiting for cool feedback like yours to add something more.

If you havenot filled the IC please leave some feedback. We will be implementing as much as possible!!

For a protein shake novelty- i was thinking those "shaker" bottles you see everywhere at the gym. Though I guess the water bottle novelty is all ready close enough. Those shaker bottles do have a pretty distinct look.

Or, I guess you could do a novelty with one of those giant powder bins all the supplements come in, with like a scoop sticking out. Or maybe just a scoop with some powder in it..
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2021, 00:04:10 by Havattack »

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 18:01:11 »

Do. You. Even.

Lol. I laughed so hard!!
Thanks for the comments.

For a protein shake novelty- i was thinking those "shaker" bottles you see everywhere at the gym. Though I guess the water bottle novelty is all ready close enough. Those shaker bottles do have a pretty distinct look.

Or, I guess you could do a novelty with one of those giant powder bins all the supplements come in, with like a scoop sticking out. Or maybe just a scoop with some powder in it..

Yeah totally I dig the ideas. I will start cooking up something in the next few days!

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 18:19:36 »

Do. You. Even.

Lol. I laughed so hard!!
Thanks for the comments.

Or maybe "snorting a scoop with some powder in it" kind of idea  :p

Offline Havattack

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 21:55:44 »

Do. You. Even.

Lol. I laughed so hard!!
Thanks for the comments.

If GMK wasn't so square, we could have a steroid novelty. I want the little bottle from Duke Nukem 3D.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
    • Website
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 04:19:03 »

Do. You. Even.

Lol. I laughed so hard!!
Thanks for the comments.

xddd . Lets not go into that....