Author Topic: [IC] ePBT Kavala - GB is Live!  (Read 62151 times)

Offline NimbleTortoise

Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala - Vendors Announced
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 18:58:48 »
Update: I will be updating the 40s kit with icon-only mods. 40s users should be able to fully cover their boards by purchasing the Sky Greek sublegend alphas and the mikro 40s kit. Keep a lookout for that sometime this week or next!

Development on the novelties is progressing, what Greek-themed illustrations would you like to see?

Regarding the icons,

1) I don't think it has to be heavily Greek themed. I'm just tired of the usual 'arrows on everything' icon mods, like with shifts, backspace, enter and cap locks. At the same time, I don't want it to be cheesy by having icons of Greek vases and temples. Simple symmetric shapes would be nice. Some ideas:

Zeus lightning for esc

Artemis or Cupid arrow for backspace or enter

Posideon trident and Hades symbol for shifts

Helios/ Apollo sun symbol for whatever

Aphrodite heart, Dionysus grape, Athena owl, Demeter branch, Hermeus Caduceus, etc. There are a lot of cool symbols that can replace the typical icon mods.

2) It may be worth considering centering these icons, rather than putting it on the left side. Like original cherry style. I can't be the only one who finds the usual right side mods awkward as hell aligned to the left.

3) The reason I suggest icon mods over the text + icon mods is because regular icon mods look a lot cleaner with sublegend alphas. I do believe with regular latin alphas, the text + icon mods look a bit more balanced. Imo having these unique mod designs will really match the Greek sublegends.

Offline DerBonk

• I'm just this guy, you know.
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 02:26:50 »
I think these icons are a cool idea, I personally enjoy non-standard mod icons, but I know a lot of the community does not like that at all. The idea with icons representing the gods is cool, though not for me. I get more "modern Greece" vibes from the colors and inspiration. However, depending on the execution, icons like that would not deter me from purchasing the set.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 13:40:15 »
My main suggestion would be to follow your inspiration. It is so personal, so, I bet you can draw some great non-cliche ideas there.

My personal associations with Greece and the image on the deskmat would be: an olive branch (or just an olive), a small fishing boat, the sunset in the sea, the shape of the Peloponnese and/or Crete, a branch of thyme, the Bouzouki, and of course the building style with lots of interwoven cubic shapes and some domes, as well as ornate wooden doors (this is probably very hard to capture in novelty, though). To me, all the references to ancient Greece (columns, pantheon, statues) are not as strong/too cliched, but if these are strong associations for you, I can totally understand that.

I guess it might make sense to decide what aspects of Greece you want to focus on, to make the theme stronger and more coherent.

Thank you for the feedback. The novelties designs have been progressing smoothly. I'm going to be avoiding the typical associations people have with Greece, such as Santorini houses, the Parthenon, the Greek Pantheon of Gods, etc. and rather focus on things that are culturally relevant to Greece, and to Kavala specifically. Kavala was originally a fishing town, so one of your ideas may be currently in development.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 June 2021, 13:43:16 by cylentshadows »

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 16:19:29 »
That sounds great to me. A strong theme does a lot for me with a keycap set and you clearly have a strong connection to and vision for this theme, that's always the best. Looking forward to the novelties!

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala - Color Change & 40s Kit Overhaul
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 22:35:10 »
Update:
The R3 Mod color has been changed from 209U to 207U. The hue is nearly identical, but is lighter and more saturated, increasing legibility and making the gradient more smooth.

The 40s kit, Mikró, has been overhauled, becoming a fully-fledged 40s mods kit with support for JD40/45, Prime-e, Planck, Preonic, Minivan, Dimple, and Whimsy layouts, among others when paired with Sky (Alt alphas).

I'm excited to hear your feedback on this update!

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 01:24:45 »
Update:
The 40s kit, Mikró, has been overhauled...support for...Whimsy layouts

Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 03:13:02 »
I really like the new color. Much more vibrant and evocative of the sun, imo. Great work on the kitting, also! The three "Opa!" novelties are also a very nice addition.

Offline Technofrikus

[IC] ePBT Kavala - Color Change & 40s Kit Overhaul
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 09:05:24 »
I agree! Great update and set.
Opa! means grandfather in German, but i love it, being half Greek.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2021, 12:33:49 by Technofrikus »

Offline Georen

• Dispatch Cables
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 12:15:01 »
Loving this set for sure,
So nice that it'll work on light or dark coloured boards too!

<3

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 11:30:56 »
I agree! Great update and set.
Opa! means grandfather in German, but i love it, being half Greek.

I didn't know that! I guess German users can get a kick out of the novelty too!

In case anyone missed it, the OPA! replaces the meta key.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 12:29:13 »
First keycap set I've seen in about 3 months that gets me excited for a GB.  Very nice look.  Can't wait to join

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 14:05:52 »
As a quick update, novelty designs are progressing smoothly. Expect a GB date announcement next week.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 18:01:48 »
As a quick update, novelty designs are progressing smoothly. Expect a GB date announcement next week.
poggers

Offline MultiDoc

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 05:58:37 »
I don’t know how I’ve missed this! Great looking set and hopefully will come to fruition. Personally if it will have proper Greek sublegends (I am Greek but live in the UK) with also proper UK ISO support, I’ll be getting two sets definitely and some child kits too. Looking forward to the GB!!!

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 11:33:56 »
I don’t know how I’ve missed this! Great looking set and hopefully will come to fruition. Personally if it will have proper Greek sublegends (I am Greek but live in the UK) with also proper UK ISO support, I’ll be getting two sets definitely and some child kits too. Looking forward to the GB!!!

I'm glad you like the colors! I have a couple follow up questions for you:
-what do you mean by proper Greek Sublegends?
-what do you mean by proper UK ISO support?

Offline MultiDoc

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 05:54:48 »
By proper sublegends I mean dyed ones, cause up this day I have to resort to using stick on shreek sublegends on my keycaps (yes, not funny). As for proper UK ISO again I mean prepped support and not just as many do by declaring iso support because they throw in an ISO enter keycap.

Thanks in advance for making this set and as I said count me in for two sets at least!

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala - GB Date Oct 1 - Nov 1!
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 08:48:13 »
Update:

The Group Buy Period for ePBT Kavala will be Oct 1 - Nov 1, 2021!

Offline _IanOfEarth

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 13:17:01 »
The colors and gradient in this set are great! I really like it!

Please add two 1.5u Super keys and a second 1u Alt key either to the base kit or an extension kit to add support for macOS 7u and HHKB layouts.

Offline 0hh.Hello

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 16:45:34 »
Update:

The Group Buy Period for ePBT Kavala will be Oct 1 - Nov 1, 2021!

Oh man, thank you an October GB-- I can't afford any new GBs right now, but October I can do!

Offline SykeJr

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 09:31:17 »
really loving this; looking forward to the GB

Offline SwirlCables

• * Vendor
  • Where Cables Meet End Game
    • SwirlCables - Custom Made Coiled Cables
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 00:50:36 »
loving the settle colors!  :eek:

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 08:18:59 »
Update:

Novelty Illustrations have been completed and sent to ePBT to review. Once approval is given they will be declassified. Expect a full release late this week or sometime next week.

Offline JohnYYZ

• KanataKeys.co
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 10:02:17 »
Update:

Novelty Illustrations have been completed and sent to ePBT to review. Once approval is given they will be declassified. Expect a full release late this week or sometime next week.

I look forward to seeing the novelties!  :thumb:

Offline atl22033

• Signature art by Shima
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 14:54:13 »
lookin extra spicy

Offline koolkeebs

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 08:21:39 »
This truly captures the essence of a sunset

Offline keepoto

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 11:03:00 »
Amazing colour. Just wish that alphas could follow side row's colour as well

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 13:06:21 »
Update:

Novelty illustrations are complete and have been approved by ePBT, but I still need to get my ducks in a row for the formal release. I will try to release them tomorrow, but it's looking more likely that the announcement will come Monday.

For those of you who don't want to wait, you may find something interesting on my discord... :-X

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala - Novelties Announced!
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 09:43:36 »
Novelties have been Declassified! Click "more" to see descriptions of what they all are, and their cultural significance to Kavala and Greece as a whole. I hope you all love these novelties as much as I loved working on them with the one-and-only SpikedSynapse (please consider GMK Terror Below).
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 July 2021, 10:33:40 by cylentshadows »

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 10:30:10 »
I really enjoy the novelties. They feel very Greek and modern, without being too stereotypical. Great work!

Offline nolsia

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 14:08:21 »
Beautiful novelties! The renders that eg0 made are stunning.

Wishing you lots of love and support!!!

Offline DrMuu

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 15:15:12 »
Really like this set! Probably going to be my first group by set.   :D Just a question, there's not going to be a Colemak set here? :)

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 22:25:24 »
Really like this set! Probably going to be my first group by set.   :D Just a question, there's not going to be a Colemak set here? :)

I'm glad you like it! ;D I haven't completely ruled out dvorak/colemak kits, but looking at past sales of these kits for fairly successful ePBT sets, it seems tough to justify.

Offline DrMuu

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 08:13:11 »

I'm glad you like it! ;D I haven't completely ruled out dvorak/colemak kits, but looking at past sales of these kits for fairly successful ePBT sets, it seems tough to justify.

Ok! I'll buy it either way, but I've been thinking of switching later on, so would buy it just in case :) Just out of curiosity, what impact does extra kits have for everything? Is it "just" the extra time you as the designer have to spend, or does it raise the price for everyone else? I get what you mean, ePBT Scandi which was the other set I was looking at only had 19 Typist sets bought, out of 592 base kits

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 11:29:28 »

Ok! I'll buy it either way, but I've been thinking of switching later on, so would buy it just in case :) Just out of curiosity, what impact does extra kits have for everything? Is it "just" the extra time you as the designer have to spend, or does it raise the price for everyone else? I get what you mean, ePBT Scandi which was the other set I was looking at only had 19 Typist sets bought, out of 592 base kits

With ePBT price structure there's not a massive punishment for lots of child kits (see ePBT Be the One), but there are a couple additional costs between design time, and vendor logistics and keeping track of kits. My main concern is that offering support for just one of these "rare" layouts seems difficult to justify.

Offline construed

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 07:53:42 »
Also in for a Colevrak kit if it's offered!

Offline AnonymousPlatypus

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 13:57:07 »
Wow these are gorgeous, I'm really interested in them... Is there going to be a french ISO support? Would definitely buy it! 
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 July 2021, 14:05:17 by AnonymousPlatypus »

Offline Gabrielcr78

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 08:46:55 »
Any chance to include Support for Spanish?
thanks

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 11:54:55 »
Also in for a Colevrak kit if it's offered!

Wow these are gorgeous, I'm really interested in them... Is there going to be a french ISO support? Would definitely buy it!

Any chance to include Support for Spanish?
thanks

Hi friends! I am working on seeing if there is a way I can both fulfill these requests, while keeping the # of kits down. Would you be OK with buying bundled kits that cost around the same as the norde (Global) kit, maybe a couple dollars less?

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 06:05:40 »
I'm OK with it! Thank you for your hard work

Offline iSamurai

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 14:34:10 »
ePBT One Dark had a lot of kits to support other languages, maybe it is doable to use the same kitting here too?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 16:33:36 »
It's the same for ePBT Scandi, they've got separate kits for NorDe, French, Iberica and typist!

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 11:01:53 »
Update on Colevrak and Language Support

The beacons were lit - many of you called for aid. I will try to answer the call for language and Colevrak support.

Here is the plan: In the next couple weeks I will be requesting quotes from ePBT. At that time I will be including some bundled language kit options and Colevrak. Based on how the quotes look I will talk to the kitting gods and release those new kits along with pricing. After that kitting should be finalized.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 August 2021, 21:36:59 by cylentshadows »

Offline DrMuu

Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala (Lang. support update in reply)
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 11:58:47 »
Hurray! If possible, I'd love an R2 Ö-key in the colevrak kit, but I'm guessing that's TOO niche. A Swedish Colemak user is already a subset of a subset.  ;D

Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala (Lang. support update in reply)
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 13:21:31 »
Sweeeeet thank you so much!!

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
Re: [IC] ePBT Kavala - Collabs Announced!
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:36:19 »
Update:

Collabs have been announced for ePBT Kavala. I am working on a few cables but they'll be announced (hopefully along with proto pics) later. I hope you're all excited for these :cool:

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 12:38:43 »
Update:

Hi friends, I'm back from vacation! :cool: We had a great time, the rest was much needed, and I'm slowly getting back into the grind.

I've added ZeroSky Keycaps added as a collaborator ;D and am working on cables, deskmats, and a few more goodies.

Only 7 weeks until GB!

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 16:28:38 »
I might comit if there's a french kit
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 17:11:39 »

You have great taste  ;)

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 17:32:33 »

If you or anyone else would buy Kavala if it had an ergo, french, spanish, colevrak, etc kit please fill out the IC with this feedback!

Offline eeveeatemyessay

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 08:13:55 »
Almost biting my nails, scrolling down, prepared to be disappointed that no Int/NorDe kit was in this. Lo and behold! There is!!! So happy. This set is perfect.

I've been looking for a light/sky blue set for so long, to the degree I even bought Protozoa Frost, even though the only ISO about it is the ISO enter. Happy this isn't GMK, too, since I'd like to get my set before I retire. ;)(Just joking, I like the rougher tactile feeling of the ePBT caps better.)