Author Topic: Reasonably priced Kailh Choc keebs (REVIEW added)  (Read 7182 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Reasonably priced Kailh Choc keebs (REVIEW added)
« on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 03:45:17 »
Hey guys,

I've wanted to try low-profile Kailh Choc switches for some time, but never found ready-made boards with them. (Unfortunately, building with them was beyond my capabilities, because of their unique footprint.)

Tonight I came across some reasonably priced Choc boards on Amazon, and have posted about them here in Great Finds, if anyone's interested.

Cheers, A.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2023, 03:15:14 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline PlayBox

Re: Reasonably priced Kailh Choc keebs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 14:38:00 »
there are many choc open source board sbut most are ergo but way better than the amazon ones for sure
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 15:23:51 »
I bought one of the 65% boards to swap choc jades into. Turned out the jades I ordered didn't even fit the caps anyway so it is in pieces in a bag.

I have looked at Perixx's various interesting products off and on for a few years now, like their mechanical keyboard with an integrated trackball, the PERIBOARD-522. I most recently modded one of their PERIPAD-501 trackpads into my HTPC TG3 cop keyboard to give it multitouch. Based on the things I have read, and the two products of theirs that I have, they seem to make things pretty comparable to the random Chinesium products on Amazon ... which is perfectly fine if you ask me.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 03:14:49 »
I ordered one of the Perixx Choc boards, and really like it.

296300-0

296302-1

296304-2

Made in China, of course, but "designed in Germany".

296306-3

Fit and finish seem perfect. It's also, without a doubt, the thinnest board I own. The case is only a hair over 1/4" high, not even as high as the low-profile switches and keys (AKA "caps") themselves. But the steel layer just below the top surface makes it quite sturdy, stable and flex-free, and adds surprising heft (1.25 lbs / 570 g) to what appears to be a very light board.

296308-4

296310-5

Once you put it down, as my dad would've said, "It's not going anywhere."

The keys have a nice matte fingerprint-resistant finish. I've been typing on them for a few days now, and they look as good as when I took it out of the box.

296324-6

Considering the whole thing's, like, black, the RGB backlighting is surprisingly effective, shining through the legends and out around the opaque keys. Remember when RGB boards were, like, an extra $100? 😁

296312-7

296314-8

296316-9

Sorry about the lack of detail in these darker photos (my cheap phone camera). Despite how these shots may look, the legends are razer-sharp everywhere. ("Alt Gr" too, to the right—that's fun.)

Fn+PgUp/PgDn are embedded media keys, though it would've been nice if they'd included a Mute key.

Oddly, I found the Cherry-type stab on the Enter key wasn't connected.

296318-10

The broad Choc switch compensates somewhat, but if you try to wobble it, it wobbles... This seems like an oversight. That said, I haven't had any trouble with it when actually typing. And all the other 2X+ keys (and of course the spacebar—see edge photo above) are fully stabbed.

There are lots of LED options, and the board "remembers" your last setting when it's disconnected.

296320-11

Specs:

296322-12

Considering how inexpensive this board was, I consider it a real deal. Many people have reviewed Choc switches, so I needn't add much to that here, except to say they're fast (faster than Cherry-style "speed" switches, IMHO). And considering their miniscule 1.5mm travel length, it's impressive how Kailh managed to include genuine tactility in these Choc Browns. I'm diggin' it. ⌨️ 😁👌
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2023, 03:47:35 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Maledicted

Re: Reasonably priced Kailh Choc keebs (REVIEW added)
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 13:03:37 »
Great review. There really need to be more mainstream commercial boards with choc switches.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 23:56:19 »

:p

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 20:55:43 »
This is very interesting. I'm trying to find a way to get Kailh Sunrise switches into a conventional form-factor. I suppose they could be retrofitted into one of these Perixx boards.

Although, given the Co-Star stabilizers and lack of dampening, it wouldn't really be an upgrade from a Filco in terms of build quality.

Too bad about the laser-ablated keycaps, though.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 February 2023, 02:42:09 »
Those chocolate bar meme boards are awesome.

What the heck are Kailh Sunrise switches? I can't find anything about any low profile sunrise switches, just sunsets.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 February 2023, 12:27:25 »

What the heck are Kailh Sunrise switches? I can't find anything about any low profile sunrise switches, just sunsets.

Haha, you are right. I meant Kailh Sunset. I have 1 sample, and it is great. Kinda like a short-travel U4T. Doesn't feel too heavy, either.

I'd love to get those into a TKL/100%, or even a VA68 layout, since that would be cheaper. Those switches are expensive!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 20:55:36 »

Haha, you are right. I meant Kailh Sunset. I have 1 sample, and it is great. Kinda like a short-travel U4T. Doesn't feel too heavy, either.

I'd love to get those into a TKL/100%, or even a VA68 layout, since that would be cheaper. Those switches are expensive!

Yeah, I saw those too. Haven't gotten to try them, but what a beautiful colour for a switch! So they have to be good, right?  ^-^

HungerMechanic, if you find a board they'll fit, please post about it here, as some of us would really like to set up a board like that. Thanks!

BTW, I've also ordered this cheap Redragon K607—not because I like Redragon boards in particular (never tried one, but obviously it's what we'd consider an off-brand), but because it has "Redragon low-profile blues"—which, as far as I can tell, are also Kailh-made, and are in effect low-profile Kailh box blues. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll report on it here. Cheers!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 21:48:03 »
I have one Redragon board and have used and fixed one other when a switch died. I think they're perfectly serviceable from what I have seen. I'll be interested to hear your findings since the V2 switches might solve my problem of a bag full of Perixx parts with incompatible caps.