Author Topic: [IC] EPBT FLOE | THE KEYCAP CLUB - KITTING UPDATE  (Read 10601 times)

Offline charli3b

• thekeycapclub.co.uk | @thekeycapclub
[IC] EPBT FLOE | THE KEYCAP CLUB - KITTING UPDATE
« on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 18:02:55 »

Hello! I'm Charlie the founder of THE KEYCAP CLUB and I'm very excited to present my first keycap set: ePBT FLOE
It's based on Floes in the arctic which is basically big sheets of ice. Hope you like it!

COLOURS

KITS

BASE

NUMPAD

ORTHO/40s

INTERNATIONAL

SPACEBARS

ALUMINIUM NOVELTY KEYCAP

RENDERS

RAMA M65

MEKANISK KLIPPE T

VENDORS

WORLDWIDE - KBDFANS

OTHER VENDORS TBD

COLLABORATIONS

COLLABORATIONS TBD

SIGNATURE

Add this to your signature to help support ePBT FLOE!

Code: [Select]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/6WmgUc8.png[/img]

CHANGE LOG

6/08/2021 - IC STARTED
6/08/2021 - THOCKEYS US VENDOR
7/08/2021 - SWAGKEYS KR VENDOR
7/08/2021 - NEW SPACEBAR KITTING
7/08/2021 - NEW 40S/ORTHO KITTING
8/08/2021 - INTERNATIONAL KIT ADDED
9/08/2021 - KBDFANS WORLDWIDE VENDOR
11/08/2021 - MEKANISK KLIPPE T RENDER ADDED
12/08/2021 - SMALL LEGEND UPDATE FOR BASE + ORTHO/40S KITS
18/08/2021 - ALUMINIUM NOVELTY ADDED

CREDITS
acitrin#5215/https://acitrin.design/ - ORTHO/40S KITTING
matthewdias#2671 - ORTHO/40S KITTING
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 August 2021, 17:19:37 by charli3b »

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
Re: [IC] EPBT FLOE | THE KEYCAP CLUB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 18:17:05 »
It looks like you've kitted this like a GMK keycap set. I would suggest looking at the conventions of other ePBT sets that have run. There are reasons for the differences, notably the permissiveness of MOQ and price with ePBT compared to GMK. As it is, this is kind of a "shooting yourself in the foot" situation.

****, I mean

reserved

Offline charli3b

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 18:22:17 »
It looks like you've kitted this like a GMK keycap set. I would suggest looking at the conventions of other ePBT sets that have run. There are reasons for the differences, notably the permissiveness of MOQ and price with ePBT compared to GMK. As it is, this is kind of a "shooting yourself in the foot" situation.

****, I mean

reserved
I will speak with ePBT about this, they seemed happy running it with the current kitting

Offline Lfgberg

• Lfgberg.org
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 18:29:57 »

****, I mean

reserved
I will speak with ePBT about this, they seemed happy running it with the current kitting
I don’t think he meant they wouldn’t run it, rather there’s a better way for you to do so

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 18:57:15 »

****, I mean

reserved

Like Lfgberg said, the issue is not that ePBT won't run it. ePBT largely does not care what your kitting looks like.
GMK kitting is a large series of compromises based on high price, high base and child MOQs, and limitations of doubleshot ABS keycaps.
In contrast, ePBT has a MOQ of 200 for a base set, and all child kits are made if the base kit is made.
This does not mean that you need 35 kits like a KAT set with three distinct colorways, but it also opens up a lot of possibilities, considering there is not a significant markup on child kits, e.g.:
* Your 40s kit can be more supportive
* numpad can be its own kit without being cost prohibitive for those that want it.
* spacebar kits are cheap as hell and can be very accommodating
* "extension" kits like the one you have there are unnecessary. those are a direct result of the "compromises" required of GMK
* international layouts are easier to accommoodate

Again, I highly recommend looking at the patterns in the other sets running this year. Following the formula others have used will allow you to reduce base price without disenfranchising users of more popular child kits (like numpad) or niche layouts, which will in turn increase interest.

Offline Zetina

• El pajarraco
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 19:09:51 »
I personally think you need some more renders but the set looks nice

Offline Coquelox18

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 19:22:09 »
I dont really like the base kit being a epbt set, you can take more advantage of epbt having more kits and lower moq than gmk, also are you working on some novelties? it would be great see some, and more renders would be also great. Love the set  :thumb:

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 19:31:33 »
Like many people have already said in here, you have a lot more kitting freedom with ePBT. You can do things like splitting off numpad without massive price jumps and putting comprehensive physical compatibility in base. You can also offer R3 keys that don't follow scuffed standards set in place and forced by one vendor, because IMO it's worse than limiting people to alpha/mod pipe and tilde.

Offline Daim

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 20:53:56 »
I've been looking for something in a teal colorway for a while. Looks really good, can't wait to see the novelties for this set!

Offline Hakatype

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 21:20:14 »
While I like the colors of your set (I think they're pretty cool), I think I'd also add to the voices that are suggesting that you rework your kitting, since you can really take advantage of it. Hopefully in the meantime you add some novelties too, I feel like you'd be able to make some really cool ones and make this set stand out.

I also don't want to roast you too much but I definitely think this set will need more time in the oven before it's ready. Given that you want to establish yourself as a vendor, it might've been better to hold off on putting this out until your first set had a stronger showing.

Offline charli3b

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 02:04:23 »
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback! I will work on the kitting over the weekend to improve it.

Novelties coming soon too!

Offline Stompy

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 04:19:08 »
Any hope for UK keys? I'll be in for sure if so

Offline Fraaaan

Re: [IC] EPBT FLOE | THE KEYCAP CLUB - KITTING UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 07:45:22 »
The Bksp legend is pretty cool but I'd like if you committed to the theme a bit more with Cpslk, Entr, Shft, Cntrl and Shft.

Also why is there no numpad kit? How do I use this on my keyboard if there's no numpad?

Offline charli3b

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 07:46:53 »
The Bksp legend is pretty cool but I'd like if you committed to the theme a bit more with Cpslk, Entr, Shft, Cntrl and Shft.

Also why is there no numpad kit? How do I use this on my keyboard if there's no numpad?

I'll take that on board!

Just waiting on renders for the Numpad kit!

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 15:25:50 »
by my calculations, getting base + 40s will leave me with 4 1u alt keys, 3 1u ctrl keys, 3 r1 esc keys, and no minibars at all

please look over your kitting when you push a kitting update

Offline charli3b

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 15:32:58 »
by my calculations, getting base + 40s will leave me with 4 1u alt keys, 3 1u ctrl keys, 3 r1 esc keys, and no minibars at all

Sorry about that! I'm a bit unfamiliar with 40s/ortho layout, could you drop me a message on discord to provide me with some assitance

Thanks

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 15:51:48 »

Sorry about that! I'm a bit unfamiliar with 40s/ortho layout, could you drop me a message on discord to provide me with some assitance

Thanks

I recommend joining the 40s discord, the #keycap-design channel will be happy to help

Offline KeyCartel

• Build it
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 19:16:26 »
I like it!
CREATE TO INSPIRE

Offline gex

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 01:55:19 »
poor man’s botanical

Offline Cynd

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 00:22:40 »
poor man’s botanical
I mean, if you ignore that one is green and one is blue yeah.  90% of new keycap sets are the same white-alphas-with-two-accent-colors thing anyway, so you could make this comparison to literally anything.  I like the look of it and it's PBT which is another plus.

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 00:44:07 »
poor man’s botanical

no, get some prescription please.

Offline zea

• yeh
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 02:02:48 »
oh god please no "bksp" that thing is horrible, i hate it on omnitype's kitting and i still hate it here.

also please consider changing the "caps" icon to the lock one (the one that epbt 9009 has) and maybe just have the "caps" text on the stepped one as both icon + text look too cramped imo

Offline atlantiasekai

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 02:35:35 »
Looks good! Love the color so far, would have liked it more if it was more blue than green, but I'd still get this! Hope to see some novelties soon :)

Offline zzkhan1996

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 13:18:37 »
poor man’s botanical
I mean, if you ignore that one is green and one is blue yeah.  90% of new keycap sets are the same white-alphas-with-two-accent-colors thing anyway, so you could make this comparison to literally anything.  I like the look of it and it's PBT which is another plus.

More like poor man Shoko

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 16:30:54 »
Kitting aside, I like it! Looks like Shoko, yeah!

Offline _IanOfEarth

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 10:30:37 »
I agree with all the kitting and legends advice here to make the best use of the ePBT kitting flexibility and unify the legends' design choices. I really like the color combo tho, will be following along as this matures.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 10:56:24 »
oh god please no "bksp" that thing is horrible, i hate it on omnitype's kitting and i still hate it here.

+1. I'm partial to either "Backspace" or just an arrow, but not an allision

Edit: "<- Back" is better I suppose...

poor man’s botanical

u wut m8?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 August 2021, 13:16:26 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline growler

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 09:09:34 »

Jesus, I just noticed that. Yeah, that would be a blocker for me on an otherwise quite pleasing set I'm very interested in.
Don't just stare at it ...

Offline tacotacx

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 01:33:34 »
eager to see how this one develops man!

Offline anonympku

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 10:42:12 »
I like this set. But could you add more layers of colors to the base? It seems that the current version is a little bit too simple with only two main colors, which makes this set looks quite like one of the epbt ABS doubleshot sets (though the material is different)