Author Topic: First ergonomic keyboard  (Read 191 times)

Offline savery

First ergonomic keyboard
« on: Thu, 25 April 2024, 16:28:06 »
Hi,
I'm looking for advice about my first ergonomic keyboard. I have been a full time software developer for over a year now. I have been looking for a new keyboard in general, but I'm interested in getting a ergonomic keyboard.
First thing: I'm little bit afraid to get a mechanical keyboard, because I would like to use it in office and I don't want it to be too loud. I have not ever use any mechanical keyboard before, so I really don't know how is the experience.
Second thing: I'm thinking to get one of these split keyboards. I understand, that there is a learning curve, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get used to it at all.
Now let's say, I would decide to get one. Which one would you recommend for budget around 100? (Euros) I was looking in my local stores and I could find these:
- Kinesis Freestyle2 - non-mechanical, in case I could get use to the split, I could just 'unsplit' it
- ErgoDelta Split - non-mechanical (I think), same as Kinesis, I could 'unsplit' it; it seems to come with vertical alignment options out of the box (I think you have to buy extra for Kinesis)
- Penclic Professional MK1 - this one is also listed as 'ergonomic', but this one is mechanical and it's not split

If possible, I would like to avoid numpad. Are there any reasonable options for my budget? Also, could you maybe describe the experience with split keyboards?

Thank

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: First ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 April 2024, 19:33:21 »
I'm not too well versed when it comes to the options of ergo keyboards, but from my experience with alice layout (which is far more similar to a regular layout so keep that in mind) it was like 5 minutes of it not being great and then was fine.

You shouldn't worry about not being able to switch layouts, you hands get used to it pretty quickly as long as you keeping typing on the boards.

Also if you are worried about making noise, you could always put silent switches, like the haimu silents which are pretty good.

Good luck with your search.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline vvp

Re: First ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2024, 01:12:21 »
It took me about 2 week to completely adapt to Kinesis Advantage when switching from a standard ANSI layout sometimes in 2002. I would  not worry about being able to adapt if you like the new keyboard otherwise. I.e. the success of the switch is more about your attitude and less about the ability to get used to it.

Many mechanical switches are not that loud when compared to rubber dome. E.g. Cherry MX Brown or linear Cherry switches and their clones. Other people in the office did not complain about noise  when I switched. Many rubber domes are not that silent either.

Left-right separation and thumb clusters are the most important advantages of ergonomic keyboards.

Your budget seems small for a proper ergonomic keyboard which in my case means something like Kinesis Advantage360 but I'm using a custom build keyboard (K84CS). Try to ask your employer to provide you with a good keyboard. It should not be such a big deal and you will not need to pay for it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2024, 01:19:13 by vvp »