Author Topic: Filco Majestouch Convertible 2, ANSI US, Bluetooth, 104 keyboard review  (Read 34619 times)

Offline phoenix1234

Hello GH!

Today, I just purchased a new Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 from the local distributor in Vietnam. So I'm going to review it. I hope my review can highlight the pros and cons of the keyboard from my point of view.

Un-boxing:
- The keyboard
- User manual
- Keyboard cover in plastic
- a keycap puller
- a set of 3 keycaps for replacement when changing DIP positions
- 2 AA battery (Sony made)
- Mini usb cable

- Filco cleaning tool

* The Filco cleaning tool is an extra gift from Filco Vietnam to me since I'm a regular customer (worth 5$, I guess)

Price
I need to buy this keyboard at 3,960,000 VND (~185.88 USD)
This price is quite expensive so I hope its values can justify on the price.

Building Quality
Like Filco Majestouch 2, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 has a solid and reliable build quality. It weights about 1.2kg (~ 2.65 pound) without cable. In this keyboard, interestingly, they use 3 Torx bolts (T10) to assemble the keyboard. The keyboard is Made in Taiwan, probably Costar manufacturer because it has the Costar stabilizers.

Switch type
Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 uses authentic Cherry MX switch. This keyboard has Cherry MX Black. The switch is quite smooth. It is smoother than one of my Ducky Shine 3 TKL using Cherry Red. However it still has a bit of sandy feeling and requires to have lubing or breaking-in. I already concern the level of scratchiness from Cherry MX is different between batches but I never know the reason behind.

Led
N/A

Rubber feet
This version has a big rubber feet. It should be able to protect the keyboard slippery during heavy typing.

Stabilizers
Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 has Costar stabilizers. The stabilizers were lubed by default.

Cable
This keyboard has removable mini usb cable as an option for users to choose when they don't want to use the bluetooth connection.

Multimedia control

The keyboard came with several media keys to control the applications on the OS. I tested several keys on Windows, it works correctly.

Bluetooth vs USB connection

The Bluetooth connection is only ready for device has built-in Bluetooth adapter. Otherwise, we may need to buy the optional Bluetooth dongle in order to connect with the keyboard. I tested with the Belkin Bluetooth dongle successfully without any problem. It just works out of the box. Pairing Bluetooth is very fast on Linux environment. I did not test it on Windows but it should work similarly.

When this comes to the connectivity, this keyboard was designed to deliver a very convenient usage to the users.
Basically, we can use 1 keyboard to control 5 devices at the same time. We can plug the mini USB cable to the desktop and pair the bluetooth 1 with the laptop, Bluetooth 2 with the tablet, etc.  In my case, I tested with one desktop and one laptop successfully. I only need to press Ctrl_ALT_Fn and plus either 1-5 to choose Bluetooth or the cable connection.

Notes: There are 2 subtle buttons on the keyboard

Bluetooth enable / disable button

Bluetooth pairing clear button

Battery consumption
Required to test more in order to come up with the conclusion.

PCB and internal build
The PCB is well-designed and assembled. It is a dual-layer PCB. The power supply for the Bluetooth is nicely put in place via a bridge with a small button. The main controller is small, neat and installed into a separated module.

PCB Tear down in pictures
*Warning: Warranty void ! But who needs it anyway on GH  :cool:

Typing experience
The combination of solid keyboard building, Cherry MX and Costar stabilizers deliver a nice typing experience. Plus, the keyboard has no more cable around so the feeling is even more interesting. Users now can use the keyboard with other Bluetooth-ready devices like tablet, phone, laptop etc.

Keycap
The keycap is thin, ABS plastic. The Windows key has Windows 8 logo. According to the Filco sales rep, the keycap on Filco MC2 should have better quality. I cannot justify on that because I never use Filco keycap until it gets old and shinny. One thing I can be sure is that it looks slightly different comparing to the ones on Filco Majestouch 2.

(*Filco MC2 keycap is on the right)

(*Filco MC2 keycap is on the left - Windows 8 logo)

DIP switch feature
This feature is similar like what Topre Realforce TKL has.
The DIP switches allows us to swap the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys, disable the Windows key.

Full album
http://imgur.com/a/iA2gZ

Final words and verdict
After a few hours typing and playing around, I think this keyboard is interesting for those who prefer to work with mechanical keyboard on multiple devices at the same time in a confined space. Definitely, this keyboard is not an option for those who looking for keyboard with fancy illumination/led options. However, the keyboard is solid and robust on typing. The Cherry MX Black is great on typing, even the original and brand new ones. The responsiveness is great on Bluetooth connection. The price is quite expensive (~185.88 USD) but it should be justified for people who are looking for wireless keyboards.

Disclaimer:
This review is based on my personal experience as a normal user. It does not represent anything related to commercial aspect, marketing or PR.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:34:07 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
Re: Filco Majestouch Convertible 2, ANSI US, Bluetooth, 104 keyboard review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:49:37 »
Oh man. If only there was a TKL version!

Have you tested the approximate max distance for the bluetooth? I'd be interested in hearing that.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 23:07:54 »
Makes me just wonder if I can get a bluetooth conversion kit for my keyboard.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:19:11 »
Oh man. If only there was a TKL version!
Have you tested the approximate max distance for the bluetooth? I'd be interested in hearing that.
I'm not so sure about the max distance but when I put the laptop on the 3rd floor and moved to the 1st floor (~12m away via 2 thick concrete platforms), it still worked.

@Gh:
Updated the PCB tear-down.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:21:22 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 12:09:56 »
Nice! Yeah I really want a TKL version of this.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 13:40:31 »
Thanks for this detailed review!

I will definitely buy one with MX blue when they become more affordable in the EU :thumb:

Offline vohoangson

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 09:24:42 »
Why it's so dirty?

and the PCB too, not so clean, not so Filcolius

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 10:17:09 »
Why it's so dirty?
and the PCB too, not so clean, not so Filcolius

Nope, at least for me, the PCB is clean.
There is only a bit of flux residue left after cleaned.
On a different angle, we may not see anything.

92936-0
92934-1
BTW, welcome to GH!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2015, 10:19:27 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline dante

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 12:36:13 »
Filco hates 'Merica so pass...

Offline Maximus XXVIII

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 01:49:22 »
From Filco's product page, it mentioned that the keyboard will enter power saving mode after 30 minutes of inactivity.

So do you experience any lags or slow response when you start typing while it's in power saving mode?

https://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=1877
Under Bluetooth connection, it will automatically enter power saving mode to save electrical consumption if there is no activity for more than 30 minutes.

Offline iron_alchemist2108S

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 13:34:04 »
Waiting for this to be sold in the USA for reasonable money. Give me one with MX Browns, the Ninja caps, and a white case, and I am SOLD!

Offline infoslaw

• Linux and Open Source passionate
Thanks for nice review. I purchased one from Korea however forgot to check something before..... Could tell me please is it working on Bluetooth mode in BIOS or in Grub before loading system? The reason why I asking because use encryption soft and every time need to input password before load os.
I am also Linux user...  :thumb:
Greets,
Slav

Offline joric

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 05:21:19 »
Ordered this one to replace the 'endgame' hhkb, waiting for delivery (hhkb capacitive board can't be very wireless).
Just noticed that the bluetooth on/off button is weirdly placed and sticks out of the middle of the back side.
I'm a bit afraid, wouldn't this bluetooth button hit against the monitor stand and randomly switch the keyboard off?

Offline infoslaw

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 10:25:24 »
don't have afraid when bluetooth button is on is hidden deep in keyboard case and don't stick out
Slav

Offline joric

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 06:08:15 »
Got it. Purrrfect in every way, brown switches are fine and seem faster than topres. Bluetooth button doesn't stick out, and there's no lag.
Feels very heavy, came up 2.1 kg in a box, but according to specs it's only about 1.2 kg without batteries. Very grippy, doesn't slide at all.
It was probably the last Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 with MX Brown switches, most shops are all out of stock now, so I am sorry!
Seller (widebasket) threw a red filco key as a bonus, it really ties the keyboard together. Sorry for the potato pic, I need to get a better phone.

Offline joric

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 07:45:14 »
Doesn't light up a CapsLock LED when it's on batteries, is it supposed to be like that? I don't think it will really affect the battery life (it's 6 months  anyway). Maybe there's some magic spell or a key combination that enables this LED in a bluetooth mode?
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 07:49:57 by joric »

Offline infoslaw

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 07:55:08 »
same here, doesn't light in bluetooth mode this is because all 3 lights are reserved for bluetooth connection
Slav

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 10:51:05 »
in bluetooth mode, the Numlock and Cap lock leds are reserved for wifi signal and battery indicator.
I like linear switches

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 12:34:28 »
I'd so buy a TKL of this. Preferably in ISO, though.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline jukaduke1184

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 21:24:08 »
nice review.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 00:50:59 »
Thank you for the review.  I was looking at this board when looking for a single board to replace my IBM M and be a bluetooth for my phone with an easy way to switch.

Offline joric

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 11:07:13 »
Bought a blank cherry profile keyset, more pics are here http://imgur.com/a/aXH5K
Why spacebar sticks out so much, is it supposed to be like that?
HHKB spacebar looks perfectly aligned.

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2015, 12:24:17 by joric »

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 21:36:52 »
Bought a blank cherry profile keyset, more pics are here http://imgur.com/a/aXH5K
Why spacebar sticks out so much, is it supposed to be like that?
HHKB spacebar looks perfectly aligned.

It is because of the Cherry profile. In your set, the bottom row is B profile which is lower than the spacebar.
I like linear switches

Offline joric

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:05:47 »
Funny, didn't know there's another (older) bluetooth version without the usb connector at all. I thought there are only Convertible 2
and Minila. And there were no Ninja caps version available at the moment.

Review (Japanese):
http://waishezhi.com/filco-ninja-ii-bluetooth-dual-mode-of-mechanical-keyboard-review.html

Pics:

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2016, 04:31:12 by joric »