Author Topic: [Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco [Shipping soon]  (Read 122309 times)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Re: [Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 16:24:15 »
What are the chances that a Leopold FC700R would fit in one of these?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 16:42:11 »
2) swede finished a prototype, but needed to mod it to fit filcos, and all of a sudden he went MIA, never to be heard again.
He is still working one it at DT and not at all MIA.

This case is a bit unnecessarily expensive imo. The curved bottom on the sides required the item to be remounted in the cnc mill unless it has more than the common 3-axis. If it indeed is a 5 axis mill, then the machine time goes through the roof which would also explain it. Anyways, nice case, a bit too much for me though. Especially considering machine time costs way less in Asia than in Europe or the US. The curved bottom really adds a lot to the looks though.

fartq

[Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 17:06:34 »
i doubt mkc would try the curved thing unless he has access to a 5-axis. one never knows though

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 21:42:33 »
I doubt it.

If you break off that one standoff, a CMstorm would probably fit, though.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 01:42:26 »
2) swede finished a prototype, but needed to mod it to fit filcos, and all of a sudden he went MIA, never to be heard again.
He is still working one it at DT and not at all MIA.

that's good news. he should be realistic about how many he will be able to ship though. maybe make a few for fun and for the dfm experience. given how much machine time costs, and how much he should value his time at, i don't think he'll really be able to beat mkc on price. but, if he can take that experience and refine his design into one that can be milled cheaply on a common 3-axis, we have several people that can get pretty good costs on 3-axis machine time and are or know good consistent machinists.

fwiw we would love to have him back on gh, complete design or not :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 04:07:09 »
why MKC don't use a circle alu feet like this :(

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
[Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 04:38:45 »
I doubt it.

They have a different USB controller so it probably wouldn't fit.

Offline Bar81

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 04:23:55 »
A GB for black at $250 would be nice and he could determine what quantity we would have to hit to make it work for him.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 15:51:23 »
I doubt it.

They have a different USB controller so it probably wouldn't fit.
CMstorm has the same controller size and placement as filco. It'll fit the top for sure.

(large pictures)
http://i.imm.io/AXNr.jpeg
http://i.imm.io/AXNx.jpeg

The bottom has an extra USB subboard that the connector plugs in to. Given how deep the bottom goes, it should also fit no problem, provided you move the proper standoff.

(Phone Quality)
http://i.imm.io/AXOi.jpeg
http://i.imm.io/AXOM.png

Worst case is you get a filco cable and just plug that in, as it (I believe) just uses a pretty standard 4-pin connector to go between the USB subboard and the main PCB.

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 16:28:25 »
I would, but $325 is really steep. Very attractive case, however. :)
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 18:36:48 »
this is the best thing I have seen in ages but way out of my budget
Nice work!
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 20:59:45 »
on number 3..

or vortex just doesn't deliver on anything they promise on.

still dont understand how that company is still around

Vortex has so many interesting things and keep showing us the pictures. But I don't know why they never release these products. Like the aluminum numpad that I've been dreaming about. And the $250 aluminum case.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 21:05:25 »
I am interested maybe. I'll have to see if I can find the money. Feng I think you missed the question of what color code is the black-grey you posted? I think I might want to do a shade or two lighter, and I'm looking for some reference.
MKC said he forgot the color code of that black-grey one because that color code is from a factory. But if you like that color, you could let me know and I'll tell MKC to make a one as shown in the picture.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 21:07:39 »
why MKC don't use a circle alu feet like this :(

I've told MKC many times that he should make aluminum feet for the case before these coming out. But I don't know why he doesn't listen to me. Maybe it would cost some extra fees? I have no idea.

Offline balanar

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 02:34:50 »
Hi feng, I dunno if anyone else has asked this but how much does this case weigh?

Offline Rafen

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 06:15:14 »
You wouldn't be able to get your hands on a picture of some of the blue cases would you?
I always think the colors look different on the color boards than they do when they are done on the metal.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 07:38:55 »
Ahhh Feng,

I just can not resist.  Looks like this coming Thursday I'll be draining my bank account again.  Having this case for one of my Filco's is what's required.

I do not have a Green coloured case anywhere in my possession hence I'm really liking the RAL 6029 colour.  You know why, it's for the Cream Cheese and Green keyset.  ;D   I saw someone who painted his G80 1800 keyboard to match the CC&G set and it looked fantastic.  8)

Please see that it happens.  Of course you are looking for the full amount, let us know how much that it would be.  It's good to know what the total will be including shipping and packaging.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 August 2012, 07:40:57 by Elrick »

Offline KeyboardRookie

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 07:46:59 »
Looks fantastic!.
Probably, I'll get one of those soon.
I'm in chronic intoxication to keyboards,

Offline kriminal

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 01:04:37 »
*drools* hmm i can save up....
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 01:29:56 »
Ahhh Feng,

I just can not resist.  Looks like this coming Thursday I'll be draining my bank account again.  Having this case for one of my Filco's is what's required.

I do not have a Green coloured case anywhere in my possession hence I'm really liking the RAL 6029 colour.  You know why, it's for the Cream Cheese and Green keyset.  ;D   I saw someone who painted his G80 1800 keyboard to match the CC&G set and it looked fantastic.  8)

Please see that it happens.  Of course you are looking for the full amount, let us know how much that it would be.  It's good to know what the total will be including shipping and packaging.

that was not painted by a GHer. straight from the factory for another company and he was lucky enough to find it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 02:29:01 »
that was not painted by a GHer. straight from the factory for another company and he was lucky enough to find it.

I never saw a Cherry keyboard in any other colour besides white, grey and black.  There are a lot of Taobao keyboards done in red, green and yellow and someone told me that the Chinese can paint any colour you like on any keyboards/mice.

Hence my natural conclusion that the "Green G80-1800 keyboard" was another Taobao custom paint job.  It's amazing that it's a custom colour mould from the Cherry factory.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 August 2012, 02:32:33 by Elrick »

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 10:53:02 »

I never saw a Cherry keyboard in any other colour besides white, grey and black.  There are a lot of Taobao keyboards done in red, green and yellow and someone told me that the Chinese can paint any colour you like on any keyboards/mice.

Hence my natural conclusion that the "Green G80-1800 keyboard" was another Taobao custom paint job.  It's amazing that it's a custom colour mould from the Cherry factory.

custom order from Sailor Radio Company back in 1984 is what the original owner said about it. Not really any details other than that known about it. I really should take it apart someday and make a thread just for it...
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:20:52 »

Hi feng, I dunno if anyone else has asked this but how much does this case weigh?
It's 1.2 kg.

You wouldn't be able to get your hands on a picture of some of the blue cases would you?
I always think the colors look different on the color boards than they do when they are done on the metal.
No I wouldn't. I guess you're right, the colors always look different on the color boards than they do on the metal.

Ahhh Feng,

I just updated a reference link and you would be able to know the exact name of the color, so you won't choose the wrong color.

The total is $325+$27=$352 including shipping and packing. Doesn't include the 3.5% Paypal fees though.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:30:45 »

Guess you're talking about these. The guy named Xi Ren has made the hottest MOD ever and he used to provide the most expensive MOD service. But he barely shows up since a year ago.

The Cherry G80-1800 WNV version was also painted by his studio.

2427-02429-12431-22433-32435-42437-52439-62441-72443-82445-92447-102449-112451-122461-132463-14
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 August 2012, 21:19:33 by feng »

Offline KeyboardRookie

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 22:50:35 »

Guess you're talking about these. The guy named Xi Ren has made the hottest MOD ever and he used to provide the most expensive MOD service. But he barely shows up since a year ago.

Wow, the quality is great!
I'll try after I purchase a compressor.
I'm in chronic intoxication to keyboards,

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 23:37:50 »

Oh my GAWD Feng, I've literally WET myself when I saw all these scrumptious looking babies.  The COLOURS are unbelievable.  I can see why the G80-1800 is so loved.

YES, the painted finish is superb, 1st Class example of what you could do on plastic with a spray gun.......love it to death.........really.

Offline harrison

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 08:09:30 »
wow... just wow.

i'll take "things i'll never be able to justify buying" for $350 alex.

:'(
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 17:35:19 »
I do not have a Green coloured case anywhere in my possession hence I'm really liking the RAL 6029 colour.  You know why, it's for the Cream Cheese and Green keyset.

The 6018 looks a little closer to me. At least from the picture.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 18:57:19 »
I do not have a Green coloured case anywhere in my possession hence I'm really liking the RAL 6029 colour.  You know why, it's for the Cream Cheese and Green keyset.

6018, thanks for that, even though I can never get a G80-1800 in that colour I could at least try to make a Filco into one.  Plus I don't have any Green keyboards in my possession.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 19:01:13 »
Well, it is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. What do others think?

Offline peizilla

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 20:14:55 »
omg... must... resist...buy...FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 22:25:27 »
Were these the ones that were lowered to 285?

Offline nebo

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 23:01:59 »
Were these the ones that were lowered to 285?
It's an IC if there are at least 10 people willing.

EDIT: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34739.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 August 2012, 01:30:33 by nebo »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 20:50:49 »

Funny enough, I have my money right here but I have to hold off on placing the order because my Cream Cheese and Greens still have not shown up yet.  It should be any day now, but the waiting is killing me.

This MKC case is strictly for the CC&G's and nothing else.

I need to see the actual colours of the key-caps to determine which final colour to go for on the MKC case.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 20:56:25 »
I need to see the actual colours of the key-caps to determine which final colour to go for on the MKC case.

Well, to help you decide, go here: http://www.ralcolor.com/

It is the site of RAL who makes the colors. They are well defined and they give you RGB values so you can fire up graphics software (Paint in Windows 7) and recreate the colors and play with them a bit. It may help you to determine things a little netter. Good luck. You will love the cap set. They are awesome. I have them on my everyday driver at work.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 21:21:31 »

Well, to help you decide, go here: http://www.ralcolor.com/

It is the site of RAL who makes the colors. They are well defined and they give you RGB values so you can fire up graphics software (Paint in Windows 7) and recreate the colors and play with them a bit. It may help you to determine things a little netter. Good luck. You will love the cap set. They are awesome. I have them on my everyday driver at work.

Damn, now I want RAL 6038.  Luminous Green.  IN LOVE with it.  Need to make sure with Feng.

If I can get this colour then I'm paying it up TODAY.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 August 2012, 21:24:35 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 01:12:34 »
DONE it.......I definitely want this baby now.  :-*

This will be my FIRST all Green casing.  I just need to gut a Filco, that will be the most difficult thing to do.  :-[ :)) ???
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2012, 01:14:23 by Elrick »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 01:38:46 »

This will be my FIRST all Green casing.  I just need to gut a Filco, that will be the most difficult thing to do.  :-[ :)) ???

Funny you mention that. I'm putting up the innards of my red filco up for sale as soon as I get my phantom.

I just need the case. It has cherry blues.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 01:41:22 »
Cool, can't wait to see the green aluminum case!  :))

Now we just need the last person to join this party! And then we can get the producing started.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 01:57:12 »

Funny you mention that. I'm putting up the innards of my red filco up for sale as soon as I get my phantom.

I just need the case. It has cherry blues.

Demik, I have about 6 Filco's, four of them are Blues, one is Red and one is Brown.  I have the tough decision of gutting one of the Blues for the MKC, and they all still work beautifully since the day I got them.

I normally ONLY gut something when it dies/RIP.  ^-^
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2012, 02:01:00 by Elrick »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 02:17:49 »
Thumbs up for having that many blues.

Too many ghers with sensitive ears that don't like blues :p

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 02:30:34 »
Thumbs up for having that many blues.

Too many ghers with sensitive ears that don't like blues :p

I always loved the Blues, the other keyboards barely get used or I suffer them to realize how much I love the Blues.  Besides I share my place with my significant other and she never minded my keyboard obsession nor my Blues craving.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline nebo

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 10:35:21 »
Cool, can't wait to see the green aluminum case!  :))

Now we just need the last person to join this party! And then we can get the producing started.

I should be ordering in the next few days. EVGA currently has a sum of money held as collateral from me for an RMA; will order once I have that back.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 13:23:56 »
The more I think about the price, the more I see the opportunity to get ANY color I want as a valuable service.  I could get another case and have it painted or anodized, but then I would actually have to go DO that.  I'm really tempted. 

Production starts at 3 orders, but will there be a delay for each round of 3, or is it continuous after the third order?
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 16:16:00 »
RAL 1021 is listed as "Rape Yellow".
http://www.ralcolor.com/
I think I'll pass on that color...
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 17:16:38 »
holy look-of-disapproval face batman
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 17:47:11 »
Beautiful.  I want that so bad :)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 17:54:47 »
The more I think about the price, the more I see the opportunity to get ANY color I want as a valuable service.  I could get another case and have it painted or anodized, but then I would actually have to go DO that.  I'm really tempted. 

Production starts at 3 orders, but will there be a delay for each round of 3, or is it continuous after the third order?

I'll send the orders to MKC immediately for each round of 3. And then the 4th order would be the 1st of the other round.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 17:56:41 »
Just curious has there been three yet?
I love Elzy

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 18:07:34 »
Just curious has there been three yet?
Maybe soon. There's one person willing to make the payment now.