Author Topic: [Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco [Shipping soon]  (Read 121958 times)

Offline feng

• * Vendor
[Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco [Shipping soon]
« on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 13:08:18 »
[Important Update 10/31]: This group buy will be closed in 3 days. And this will be the last chance to having the MKC's aluminum case for Filco. MKC is planning to bring over his own keyboard brand, and he won't make any accessories such as aluminum case for the other brand's keyboards anymore. He will have his own keyboard with aluminum case.

Hello all, MKC's product again. It's aluminum case for Filco.

I'm not sure if this is a group buy. Because whenever we have three people in, I'll send the orders to MKC and let him start producing. And the products will be shipped from China instead of me (I'm in US).

There's no deadline for this group buy. I'll keep taking orders as long as MKC is still making these.

Whenever we have 3 people ordered, I'll send the orders to MKC.

And the producing usually takes 10-15 days. And then the cases will be shipped to you guys from China.

Overall, after submitting the order, you should be able to receive the case within 20 days.

You can choose the color you need from this website: http://www.ralcolor.com/

Beside these RAL colors, there're two more options: Silver and Gold.

Pricing:
$325 for each case

Shipping:
DHL Express $27  (Usually takes about 3-5 days to arrive)

How to order:
Please send the payment to tangxiruo@hotmail.com as gift or add 3.5% to cover the fees.

After sending the payment, fill out this Google form to submit your order:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dGJiVTBZaVR3T1BLbE9JUUxQZFpON3c6MQ

Pictures:

Silver:
2126-02128-12130-22132-32134-42164-5 [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ] [ Specified attachment is not available ]

Black-Gray:
2136-92138-102140-112142-122144-132148-142150-152152-162154-172156-182158-192162-20

Order List:

Wraul SHIPPED
Elrick  SHIPPED
digitalleftovers  SHIPPED
nebo  SHIPPED
tipo33  SHIPPED
arn SHIPPED
h2oxide SHIPPED
phetto SHIPPED
pasph SHIPPED
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 00:02:43 by feng »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: [Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 16:05:13 »
FYI: Since it's mostly empty on the bottom, it looks like it should work with phantom.

This case is HAWT. I'd grab one if I could afford it.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 16:07:29 »
Million-dollar question: will these be compatible with Phantom? Also, what is the finish being done with? Anodized or powder coated? Can you provide any other details, like height compared to standard Filco case, weight, etc? It doesn't appear to have any adjustable feet, is that correct?
-Ryan

Offline magnetic

• Slighted
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 16:48:00 »
black-grey is absolutely gorgeous, but can't justify the price personally—atm anyway.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 16:51:51 »
Million-dollar question: will these be compatible with Phantom? Also, what is the finish being done with? Anodized or powder coated? Can you provide any other details, like height compared to standard Filco case, weight, etc? It doesn't appear to have any adjustable feet, is that correct?

Don't know about the Phantom, but for that price it should definitely be anodized.  At least, it appears that way in the photos.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 16:54:51 »
That's beautiful. Happy shopping, guys and girls :).

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 16:55:59 »
How much shipped to UK?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 17:06:13 »
I don't have a Filco board, but I might have to buy one cause it's so pretty
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline lime

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 17:42:58 »
These are so nice! Spoilt for choice with colours. That green Zerg key is very nice too :D

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 17:55:57 »
ouch $325! i wish! i love that curve.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 17:58:33 »
ouch $325! i wish! i love that curve.

you know you want it !

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 18:03:24 »
These are very nice, but that price is insane...even with the custom color job. KMAC's didn't even cost that much in their original groupbuy.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 18:03:51 »
if it wasn't clear, i do want it. just can't afford it when it costs more than an unassembled kmac kit. i have switches and keycaps... just need the board :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:14:20 »
I need one of these for my Phantom. But I will have to sell off a couple Filco's first to be able to afford it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:30:38 »
I'm not sure if it fits Phantom since I don't have a Phantom. It's anodized finished.

I'll provide more details soon.

And yeah it doesn't come with any adjustable feet.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:31:38 »
Feng, what color code is that black-grey?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:37:43 »
How much shipped to UK?
$27 via DHL Express in 3-5 days.

I don't have a Filco board, but I might have to buy one cause it's so pretty

Everybody should has at least one Filco. :)

These are very nice, but that price is insane...even with the custom color job. KMAC's didn't even cost that much in their original groupbuy.
I know the price sucks. I've talked to MKC, but for now he couldn't cut down the price any more because this is a new design and the 3D plan costed him a lot. I think he just wanna get what he's paid back. I'm sure KMAC's price is a way more reasonable since it contains PCB, plate, and the adjustable feet. :/

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:39:17 »
Does that mean that prices will drop once he breaks even?
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:39:21 »
I have a WASD, same OEM, different body. But I'm not sure that the WASD would fit in there.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:41:08 »
I have a WASD, same OEM, different body. But I'm not sure that the WASD would fit in there.

sure as hell won't. wasd is 104 keys and this is for 87 :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:41:19 »
WASD no TKL, Beast. You gonna use hacksaw?

in memoriam

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:43:29 »
Are there plans for a winkeyless in the works. The top would only need slightly modified.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:43:46 »
So so SO sad that I'm poor and cannot afford this ...
I love Elzy

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:44:17 »
winkeyless with 1.25 mods? weird! think of all the space on the right side!

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:45:12 »
Also, are 100% sure these are anodized, because the RAL color pallette is what is used for powdercoating. My PC case is RAL9005.

Do a couple of Google searches on Anodizing Color Palette and the Powder Coating Color Pallette and see what I'm talking about. Anodizing offers far less color options than powder coating, at least I thought. Hope I'm wrong here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:48:59 by jcrouse »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:48:07 »
No, we want winkeyless with those metal tabs that cover the 1-unit space between 1.5 Control and Alt. I don't want to put a switch or keycap there, I want it covered, as in the KMAC case.

in memoriam

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:49:51 »
No, we want winkeyless with those metal tabs that cover the 1-unit space between 1.5 Control and Alt. I don't want to put a switch or keycap there, I want it covered, as in the KMAC case.

Yes, my point exactly. Although I have no phantom on the way there will be demand for this option. At least as much demand as there can be for a >$300 case.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:51:29 »
well this is a case for the filco... meaning 87, not 84 keys.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 19:53:35 »
I hope so, gotta ask him first.

Are there plans for a winkeyless in the works. The top would only need slightly modified.
He's kinda busy lately and doesn't have plan to make other keyboard case for now. But he told me that he has a plan in his mind to make a whole keyboard including everything like PCB, plate, etc.

Also, are 100% sure these are anodized, because the RAL color pallette is what is used for powdercoating. My PC case is RAL9005.

Do a couple of Google searches on Anodizing Color Palette and the Powder Coating Color Pallette and see what I'm talking about. Anodizing offers far less color options than powder coating, at least I thought. Hope I'm wrong here.

What? Really? Let me talk to him  and I'll get back to this question.

Offline Tenkey

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:07:25 »
Dat price.....

Offline balanar

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:10:15 »
Woah these are PRETTY! But at $325, I guess I'm gonna have to admire these only from the pictures..

If an aluminum case can cost $325 I wonder how much a titanium one would cost lol..

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:15:23 »

sure as hell won't. wasd is 104 keys and this is for 87 :P
WASD no TKL, Beast. You gonna use hacksaw?

I'm so dumb, I forgot this is a TKL case

^___^

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:48:00 »
OH gawd, it's finally here! I've been waiting forever for a metal filco case to finally be purchasable. But at this price, I'll have to find someone to buy one of my kidneys first. The other couple alu cases were in the high $100's range. I would have jumped on this if it's in that range...

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: [Order Thread] MKC Aluminum Cases for Filco
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 20:55:26 »
OH gawd, it's finally here! I've been waiting forever for a metal filco case to finally be purchasable. But at this price, I'll have to find someone to buy one of my kidneys first. The other couple alu cases were in the high $100's range. I would have jumped on this if it's in that range...

I know you were not being critical but when people make comparisons between this and the "other aluminum cases" let's not forget that these are significantly more complex. The machining time of these is probably more that twice that of, say a poker case. From a retail perspective an hour of machining time on one of these cnc machines could be $250 to $300.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 21:14:00 »

I know you were not being critical but when people make comparisons between this and the "other aluminum cases" let's not forget that these are significantly more complex. The machining time of these is probably more that twice that of, say a poker case. From a retail perspective an hour of machining time on one of these cnc machines could be $250 to $300.

In the US it's $250-$300, but else where I doubt it's that much.

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 21:35:04 »
Just ask him and he said he's not gonna break down the price because he's making this case just for fun, not really for profit since it's hard to sell a large quantity of them.

And he promised that if he reduce the price, the people who have ordered will get the extra money back within half an year. e.g. If you buy it for $325, and then MKC reduce the price to $300 in the following 6 months, you'll get $25 as refund.

He said the color pallette can be used for both. So it's fine with anodizing. I don't know why you said anodizing offers far less color options than powder coating, but MKC said any color can be used for anodizing.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:19:46 »

No I'm not taking about a few variations of the metal poker cases that's been sold in the past. I'm talking about full on filco TKL metal cases that were in the $100's if i remember correctly:

1) oneproduct was working on a prototype from his school's machine shop, but scrapped that project.
2) swede finished a prototype, but needed to mod it to fit filcos, and all of a sudden he went MIA, never to be heard again.
3) vortex showed a video of the machining process, posted prices up, and nearly ready to distribute, but then stopped all contact with any keyboard related stuff. I think it's because of the production time of PURE.

MKC is the first to take orders, but charging an arm and leg right now. All we can do is beg to lower price, but based on the last few posts, doesn't look like price will sway much.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:21:33 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:20:55 »
so, nobody has been able to actually bring the product to market at that price.  vortex's case remains to be seen, but I wouldn't hold out for it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:22:23 »
on number 3..

or vortex just doesn't deliver on anything they promise on.

still dont understand how that company is still around
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:23:44 »
vortex.tw doesn't even resolve anymore. the last comment they made on their FB was july 10th.
I think it's safe to assume that they are NOT around at this point. i wonder if i'll ever see my white RACE keycaps?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 23:25:23 »
on #2 - swede re-appeared on DT recently and commented on how pricey the design ended up being and how he still wanted to produce it but was going to be much more conservative and make a couple for himself and then decide if he would go forward with more.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 03:03:49 »
Would it be possible to get a discount if we did one larger group order?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 03:07:14 »
Yep, do it like a "real" GB then get more reasonable price tier can we? <3

Offline pmh1410

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 03:45:40 »
i like it but this price is not reasonable :(
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club

Keyboards Collection: Powered by OTD
TKL: 360C Hyper Silver, Cheat B/R/B
Mini: 356mini Red, Duck Poker + 38GT.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 04:18:34 »
How long will this be open for? Can we narrow down the colours and do one GB? I would imagine that you will get a lot more orders that way.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 04:21:27 »
Just ask him and he said he's not gonna break down the price because he's making this case just for fun, not really for profit since it's hard to sell a large quantity of them.
This statement is a little contradictory. If he's making this case purely for fun and not profit, then shouldn't price be lower? I'm sure there's some aspect of profit involved in selling something like this.

Since it seems that he does not want to produce these in mass quantities, would it be alright if we all pitched in some tip to get the AutoCAD file so one of use can maybe get a local machine shop to make these for everyone else in here?

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 13:07:58 »
I am interested maybe. I'll have to see if I can find the money. Feng I think you missed the question of what color code is the black-grey you posted? I think I might want to do a shade or two lighter, and I'm looking for some reference.

Offline Wibox

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 15:00:14 »
I would hop on this if it were a bit cheaper. Just can't justify 3xx.. I think I'd do it for $200 or upper $100s.
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 15:02:21 »
$250-270 seems like the sweet spot right now.  I'd pick one up in the $250+...but sub $300 price range in a heart beat. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline nebo

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 15:27:30 »
I'm really debating this right now. There just aren't that many TKL cases out there:

1) Vortex isn't happening, nobody should kid themselves.
2) I missed lister's case
3) Treble was working on one but he's currently really busy.
4) The one on esports equipment (PCB) is said to have fitting issues.

I wish I knew how sturdy this case was (looks to be good) and how much it weighed.