Author Topic: GON NS NerD Crystal TKL - Detailed Build Log  (Read 107388 times)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: GON NS NerD Crystal TKL - Detailed Build Log
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 07:46:15 »
Been following the keyboard of the month thread and I have to say, this board still blows away all the new nominations. Simply the best looking board I've ever seen.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline phishy

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:24:51 »
That is one amazing keyboard you have there.  Carry on.

Offline derzemel

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 06:05:30 »
Hello,

I am planning my first DIY keyboard and I am absorbing all the information an build logs I can find.

I have been looking through your images (thank you for the high resolution) and I saw that the acrylic plate has these notches:

Would you mind telling me what are those for? I do not think I have seen them on metal plates.

Thank you!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 09:07:09 »
Hello,

I am planning my first DIY keyboard and I am absorbing all the information an build logs I can find.

I have been looking through your images (thank you for the high resolution) and I saw that the acrylic plate has these notches:

Show Image

Would you mind telling me what are those for? I do not think I have seen them on metal plates.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure they're so that the Cherry switches will actually click/lock into the plate because if the plate is too thick it won't lock in.

*edit*
This part.
90345-0

Also next time please post these kinds on things in this thread to keep people's post uncluttered https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0

So Last are you going to leave the board as is forever? or do you have any plans to tinker with it a bit more?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 09:11:39 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline whitelines

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 09:11:58 »
This keyboard is amazing! Congratulations on achieving such perfection.

Offline derzemel

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:17:50 »
Hello,

Show Image

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure they're so that the Cherry switches will actually click/lock into the plate because if the plate is too thick it won't lock in.

*edit*
This part.
(Attachment Link)

Also next time please post these kinds on things in this thread to keep people's post uncluttered https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0

So Last are you going to leave the board as is forever? or do you have any plans to tinker with it a bit more?

Thank you! That makes allot of sense.

I was under the impression (from the pictures) that GON's plate had a thickness of 1.5 mm. Maybe he chose to have it thicker to avoid flimsiness.

Thank you again for the information!

I'll post any other questions on the Simple questions thread
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:20:02 by derzemel »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:22:07 »
Thank you all for the kind words!

Sorry, yeah I'm not exactly sure what the bottomside notches are for, but accommodations for switch fitment seem likely.

No plans on changing the GON right now, it's pretty much exactly how I wanted it to be. Might switch to heavier springs later, but we'll see.

Next things I have on my plate are changing the PCB and adding LED's to my LZ, and then building a TX1800. The TX will definitely have a build log, but won't be as unique/passionate as this GON. But I think my photography has improved since building the GON, so the new build log will be better in some ways lol.

But before all that, I'm still doing a few Viper and a Kaliet build for other people. Keyboards are so much fun lololol.

Offline techintosh12

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:18:01 »
Hands down, this is the most beautiful keyboard I have ever seen, and I don't think I've ever been as jealous.
Because I have a Poker II with Cherry MX Clears, I would like some advice. VesperSAINT has already offered me plenty of good information through Youtube comments, but I still have a couple questions...
1. What is the spring weight of the factory Cherry MX Clear? I have heard the actuation force is 65 grams, and peak is 92, but what is used to measure spring weight?
2. VesperSAINT recommended 62g springs to me as well, but if I want to get something between the weight of Cherry MX Blue and Cherry MX Clear, I would lean slightly more toward the stiffness of the clears. What would you recommend for me?
3. Where in the world can I actually buy springs? I've looked everywhere! :confused:
4. I have silicone-based lube for lubing Rubik's cubes... would that work with lubing switches?

Thanks, and um... I think your Crystal is the world's most perfect keyboard  ;)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 09:36:03 »
Hands down, this is the most beautiful keyboard I have ever seen, and I don't think I've ever been as jealous.
Because I have a Poker II with Cherry MX Clears, I would like some advice. VesperSAINT has already offered me plenty of good information through Youtube comments, but I still have a couple questions...
1. What is the spring weight of the factory Cherry MX Clear? I have heard the actuation force is 65 grams, and peak is 92, but what is used to measure spring weight?
2. VesperSAINT recommended 62g springs to me as well, but if I want to get something between the weight of Cherry MX Blue and Cherry MX Clear, I would lean slightly more toward the stiffness of the clears. What would you recommend for me?
3. Where in the world can I actually buy springs? I've looked everywhere! :confused:
4. I have silicone-based lube for lubing Rubik's cubes... would that work with lubing switches?

Thanks, and um... I think your Crystal is the world's most perfect keyboard  ;)

1. Spring weights have been measured here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46449.0
2. 62g is heavier than blue as you can see from the above link :]
3. I _think_ Sprit _might_ be back in business so maybe Zeal will get a restock soon? Not too sure on this, sorry!
4. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the lubrication formula itself, I just use what the experts here at GH recommend. :] It doesn't cost much so I think the peace of mind is worth it to use something that is already proven.

Sorry I didn't really help that much lolol.

Thank you for your kind words, I wish you well in your keyboard journey!

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 12:46:08 »
Amazing Build Log Lastpilot!  :-*
The board looks absolutely incredible and the pics are just stunning!  :thumb:

I'm actually trying to reach out to GON to ask about polycarb screws for a crystal case as well now.
After seeing your pictures its hard to imagine anything else but polycarb screws for a crystal! =)

Offline slaction

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:30:24 »
Easily the most beautiful board I've never seen!  Such a great build.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:39:33 »
Yes that video is pure bliss.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 23:00:00 »
Easily the most beautiful board I've never seen!  Such a great build.

Wow, that 'never' is deep...
Definitely +1 on that!  :)

Offline kernel

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 05:49:56 »
-
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2023, 07:30:55 by kernel »

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:50:22 »
I'm sorry that i bumped this thread after a long time..

BUT HOLY **** THAT BOARD IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE EVER SEEN <33

this is my dream keyboard if i ever get money for this

this same board was recently put on MD.
nice to see a first post =P
welcome to GH

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 15:34:54 »
Beauty. Last pilot you've done such a great job!

It's tempting to see what can be done with this kit. That massdrop buy is very tempting.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 00:24:08 »
Having that board show up on Massdrop, and then seeing this buildlog, caused me to finally pull the trigger and start gathering parts for a custom. Fantastic keyboard.

If for some god-forsaken reason you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

Offline kernel

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 11:30:34 »
-
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2023, 07:30:31 by kernel »

Offline kivx

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 01:03:40 »
HI.
I love this set very much.
But when I was browsing on Gon's website, I don't know the detail housing you chosed.
Could you please tell me the details of the four parts of housing?
I don't know yours are semi-clear or clear.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 08:43:31 »
HI.
I love this set very much.
But when I was browsing on Gon's website, I don't know the detail housing you chosed.
Could you please tell me the details of the four parts of housing?
I don't know yours are semi-clear or clear.
It is the Crystal set, located here: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/diy-kits/108-gon-ns-nerd-crystal-tkl-complete-diy-set.html

Sorry for such a late reply!

Also, thank you everyone else that recently posted. Your kind words are definitely appreciated, I just haven't kept up with this thread in a while.

I just updated the OP with how the GON currently looks. Low led settings with the new TA set :]

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:21:05 »

Wow.... This is gorgeous.

Offline Deep

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 11:09:24 »
Amazing board... What usb cable are you using?

Offline Lulleh

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 11:13:15 »
This is so flawless. I just have to ask (not sure you got my PMs / they went through) but would you be willing to sell me yours (I 200% understand if you wouldnt, I sure wouldn't) or better, build one for me? My main concern is obtaining the actual board, read some horror stories regarding the seller. I've got a NS NerD currenty that I've been using for the past, 10 years? But seems a lot has happened since then.

Looking forward to your reply! Feels like you're one of the most qualified for this request, considering your results. I remember seeing your typing video here many many years ago and I've wanted one since.

Online Uguubox

• what's clackalackin'
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 07:45:12 »
Amazing board and build log! It's great reliving these the keyboard memories of the past, seeing how different the scene and trends were back then - love the idea of a build log where you post detailed thoughts of the boards, and great to see so many people encouraging the build! The best feedback from the community somebody would get on a keyboard they built nowadays on a 20 pepe comment per second discord channel would be "sounds like a keyboard"  :))

Keyboards - Grey LZ GHv2, Pink Sho60, Navy/Silver F1-8X, NMB SI tactile, linear & clicky boards