Author Topic: [IC] GMK Plum | GB is OVER | New colour samples are in, and they are stunning.  (Read 174227 times)

Offline nugglets

Re: [IC] GMK Plum | GB is LIVE
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 20:40:52 »
Update as of 15 Feb:

If Plum reaches 1k sets sold, this will become a novelty Esc and 2 OS replacement keys. These would not affect the price at all.

Show Image

They'd match the rest of the modifiers so purple with yellow legends.

Does that mean no price drop?

Price drop is $130 to $120.

I meant at 1k lol

That is at 1k.

Offline swangful

« Reply #551 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 20:50:44 »
Update as of 15 Feb:

If Plum reaches 1k sets sold, this will become a novelty Esc and 2 OS replacement keys. These would not affect the price at all.

Show Image

They'd match the rest of the modifiers so purple with yellow legends.

Does that mean no price drop?

Price drop is $130 to $120.

I meant at 1k lol

That is at 1k.

OoooOoOOo whoops. Sorry LOL!
Well...LETS GET TO 1000!!!!

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 08:59:58 »
Any chance we can get more 1.5u mods at 1,000 too?  :thumb:

Offline Tally810

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 15:14:48 »
Well **** it i joined the drop.  Now let's hit 1000

Offline swangful

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 14:17:35 »
Seems unlikely but I figured I would ask....is there a chance to get some plum community keys?

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:14:29 »
Seems unlikely but I figured I would ask....is there a chance to get some plum community keys?

Would not count on it. I don't feel they'd be fitting for the set.

Offline Winnja

• Winnja Cables and Keyboard Accessories
« Reply #556 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 01:03:38 »
Just FYI, Winnja has cables to match GMK Plum! https://www.winnja.com/gmk-plum-custom-sleeved-usb-cables.html

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #557 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 01:22:55 »
I'm having a very difficult time visualizing that gray-purple of the modifiers.  Mostly because the schematic shows them lighter and somewhat "milky" pastel toned, and the renders of the caps on keyboard show them as fairly dark (so I worry they will look very dark in all but bright light).  Was there an actual sample chip made for that color?
edit: ok, I'm blind (and a bit drunk).  You did add "color accurate" renders in the OP.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2017, 01:29:46 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #558 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 10:53:17 »
Hey, I spotted the international kit and the ergodox/planck kit - nice.

Serious question though: How much would GMK charge to add Colemak/Dvorak compatibility to the international kit?

I've already asked about a dvorak/colemak kit, and have been told it's unlikely. Now I'm curious whether this niche request can reasonably be bundled with one of the above (Int. + Planck/Dox).

Thanks.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #559 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 12:51:56 »
Just FYI, Winnja has cables to match GMK Plum! https://www.winnja.com/gmk-plum-custom-sleeved-usb-cables.html

I also bought won on these looking forward to trying them out!

Offline Cotay

Re: [IC] GMK Plum | GB goes live Feb. 14th on Massdrop
« Reply #560 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 15:08:56 »
I just read through them. Many of them are positive! Just one small thread going on with a bit of discussion.

Agreed. It seems like a higher-than-average number of people *****ing about the cost (ironic, given that the price is rather good), but I'd guess that's a sign of MD growing their eyeball-pool more than anything else.

No kidding! The trolls on Massdrop seem to be out in full force these days and are especially smug in their own superior knowledge. I love the one guy that claims he has done his "research" and can make his own caps to rival GMK.

Offline losskutleboys

« Reply #561 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 15:45:02 »
I just read through them. Many of them are positive! Just one small thread going on with a bit of discussion.

Agreed. It seems like a higher-than-average number of people *****ing about the cost (ironic, given that the price is rather good), but I'd guess that's a sign of MD growing their eyeball-pool more than anything else.

No kidding! The trolls on Massdrop seem to be out in full force these days and are especially smug in their own superior knowledge. I love the one guy that claims he has done his "research" and can make his own caps to rival GMK.

I love that one guy who's dissapointed that there was no planck support but when someone gave him the link for planck support he called it a scam and compared it to $10 blanks pbt from aliexpress
My comfort food is instant ramen

Offline Cotay

« Reply #562 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 16:52:17 »

I love that one guy who's dissapointed that there was no planck support but when someone gave him the link for planck support he called it a scam and compared it to $10 blanks pbt from aliexpress

Yeah, I saw that one and just had to shake my head.

I actually think most of these guys claiming that it's a scam or that otherwise claim the product doesn't justify the price know deep down that they are full of it. I appreciate that a set of GMK or SP may be out of reach financially for many, but I think that sour grapes is at the heart of many of the comments. I know many people who can't afford something that will say it's over priced because they really wish they could get in on it; it's really an "if I can't have it, I'm going to belittle the product and those who buy it" attitude. There are many things I can't afford in this life, but I don't harbor any jealousy against the product or those who can afford to obtain it.

Offline Chaosti

• Plastic Enthusiast
« Reply #563 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 19:47:51 »

Yeah, I saw that one and just had to shake my head.

I actually think most of these guys claiming that it's a scam or that otherwise claim the product doesn't justify the price know deep down that they are full of it. I appreciate that a set of GMK or SP may be out of reach financially for many, but I think that sour grapes is at the heart of many of the comments. I know many people who can't afford something that will say it's over priced because they really wish they could get in on it; it's really an "if I can't have it, I'm going to belittle the product and those who buy it" attitude. There are many things I can't afford in this life, but I don't harbor any jealousy against the product or those who can afford to obtain it.

I guess you can maybe say...Sour plums are at the heart of it  :cool:

But in all seriousness, I don't get the need to belittle the set. You don't like it, then don't buy it. Move on, no need to bash those who like it. Not like the caps will affect them. I seriously don't understand a troll's mentality.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #564 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 19:59:50 »
155 more to 1k

I guess you can maybe say...Sour plums are at the heart of it  :cool:

I love its sourness, literally  :D

But in all seriousness, I don't get the need to belittle the set. You don't like it, then don't buy it. Move on, no need to bash those who like it. Not like the caps will affect them. I seriously don't understand a troll's mentality.

trolls are to be ignored  :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 01:37:00 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #565 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 20:12:28 »

Don't feed the trolls!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #566 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 00:57:43 »
I know many people who can't afford something that will say it's over priced because they really wish they could get in on it; it's really an "if I can't have it, I'm going to belittle the product and those who buy it" attitude.

In the world of dating and romance, this is known as "negging", where for example a lesser attractive person subtly insults the other's looks to lower self-esteem or "value". This way the one doing the negging gets more out of the "deal".

Thankfully in this case the negging folks just do it to make themselves feel better; they don't get any of the goods in the end.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2017, 01:00:08 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #567 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 06:41:14 »
These people are acting like someone walking into a Ferrari dealership and setting up a stand trying to sell Hondas. They don't belong, but that doesn't mean it's worth the time engaging them. And yes, I'm a hypocrite. (wow, first time having to spell that in 35 years!)

Offline jessica

« Reply #568 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 02:42:01 »
Update: GMK are sending me colour samples, I will be getting them shortly, I hope.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #569 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 03:37:57 »
Update: GMK are sending me colour samples, I will be getting them shortly, I hope.

Awesome :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #570 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 17:53:28 »
Is MD handling the shipping end, and if so is GMK shipping to their warehouse first?

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #571 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 18:05:08 »
Is MD handling the shipping end, and if so is GMK shipping to their warehouse first?

Yes.

Offline jessica

« Reply #572 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 02:54:29 »

For the keysets: yes.
For the colour samples: no. GMK is sending them straight to me.

Offline bciamny

« Reply #573 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 07:34:50 »

For the keysets: yes.
For the colour samples: no. GMK is sending them straight to me.

congrats on 1k :)

Offline LogicLoop

« Reply #574 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 08:58:38 »
Well done on this Jessica. It's been great seeing this come along over months and then break the highers MOQ. Here's looking forward to June!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #575 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 23:59:35 »
Congrats on reaching 1k Brazzers!

I remember seeing something about novelties being offered if the GB get the 1k mark. When/where will these be offered?

« Reply #576 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 00:14:18 »

I remember seeing something about novelties being offered if the GB get the 1k mark. When/where will these be offered?
They updated the kit pictures to include them over on massdrop

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline jessica

« Reply #577 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 01:29:37 »

Thanks for doing this for me :P

Offline jessica

« Reply #578 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 01:29:52 »
Well done on this Jessica. It's been great seeing this come along over months and then break the highers MOQ. Here's looking forward to June!

You and me both, friendo

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #579 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 07:47:51 »

Oh, cool. Didn't realize that were just going to be added in!

Offline naps250

« Reply #580 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 11:41:47 »
Hey guys,

I am a long time on and off lurker and this group buy caught my attention. Before jumping in I would like to ask you more knowledgeable users a question that's bugging me for a while now. I figured I should write here since my question is sort of related to this buy and there should be more people looking at this thread atm.

First of all I would like to share that my perfect layout would be 75%? (Lightsaver) with an arrow cluster. Naturally at the moment this is only possible with 1.5u modifiers on the right side of the spacebar. As far as I could browse all GMK sets give no alternatives to these keys, except Ctrl and Alt. Does no one want to put the Fn modifier on the right and still have an arrow cluster? How do you solve this issue, if you have even thought about it?

The main question I am trying to ask is should I ever expect a set with an alternative R4 1.5u key (even blanks work), or should I give up and join this group buy seeing that it supports almost every layout out there? I saw that the ergodox kit has an R4, but I'm not sure it's 1.5u and buying the whole set for 1 key is too much of an overkill for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline jessica

« Reply #581 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 14:48:24 »
Hey guys,

I am a long time on and off lurker and this group buy caught my attention. Before jumping in I would like to ask you more knowledgeable users a question that's bugging me for a while now. I figured I should write here since my question is sort of related to this buy and there should be more people looking at this thread atm.

First of all I would like to share that my perfect layout would be 75%? (Lightsaver) with an arrow cluster. Naturally at the moment this is only possible with 1.5u modifiers on the right side of the spacebar. As far as I could browse all GMK sets give no alternatives to these keys, except Ctrl and Alt. Does no one want to put the Fn modifier on the right and still have an arrow cluster? How do you solve this issue, if you have even thought about it?

The main question I am trying to ask is should I ever expect a set with an alternative R4 1.5u key (even blanks work), or should I give up and join this group buy seeing that it supports almost every layout out there? I saw that the ergodox kit has an R4, but I'm not sure it's 1.5u and buying the whole set for 1 key is too much of an overkill for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hey, so I can give you some context:
Basically, for GMK buys you will pretty certainly not see 1.5u R4 Fn modifiers become main stream. It's just too much of a niche key for a niche layout to really be able to justify including.
So, if you can get past the one wrong legend on your board, then I'd suggest hopping on the GB :) If it's too much of a dealbreaker, I'm not gonna say I blame you. <3

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #582 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 21:56:16 »

Can't wait to see the samples if you're able to post pics (not sure if there's any rules around this or if it's something that's typically done). Either way, I'm so glad I hopped on this buy. Didn't love the set at first, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. It's gotten to the point that I hop on the drop page a few times a day just to gawk at the keycaps. They are astonishing.

So excited for these to come in, you've singlehandedly got me interested in almost exclusively GMK sets. Great work!

Offline owacle

« Reply #583 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 22:24:44 »
I hope this one stays on track. I'm feeling a little burned with Godspeed going so long overdue.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #584 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:07:42 »
I hope this one stays on track. I'm feeling a little burned with Godspeed going so long overdue.

While delays are sometimes unavoidable, there shouldn't be anything close to the cluster**** SA production queue which is causing delays with Godspeed and all of the other SA keysets.

I haven't been involved in a ton of GMK buys, but the three previous ones I entered all went very smoothly.

Offline owacle

« Reply #585 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:19:17 »
Oh yeah? Is there something up with all the SA sets?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #586 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:38:10 »
Oh yeah? Is there something up with all the SA sets?

Yeah. The GBs.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #587 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:51:38 »
its ok man, at least its not toxic.
anyway this aint SA so should be fine.

Offline Chaosti

• Plastic Enthusiast
« Reply #588 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 13:35:36 »
Is there a list of current SA buys in production? I feel like an idiot but I can't find it anywhere. I know there's a list of current on-going GB's but I'm just curious about SP's current and future production plans.

Offline jessica

« Reply #589 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:29:46 »
Hey dudes, gotchu an update:

Colour samples!!! The purple is going to be changed, it's too dark for what I envisioned. As for the yellow, I'm a big fan of it, but I also want to weigh my options. Gonna have GMK make a more yellow-y choice and then I'll be able to decide if I like the paler one or the more yellow one.

The red is just a standard GMK colour and can be seen here (bottom row, far left) to give an idea of what itll look like.

I'll letcha all know stuff as soon as I know stuff!

With love
Jessica

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #590 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:44:01 »
I like the yellow a lot, the purple does seem quite dark - I figure a more pale/pastel feel to it may fit the theme better which is what I assume you'll be going for with new samples.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #591 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:24:27 »
Well... I've planned to wait for some of samples before I join to the group buy.

But those samples are going to change and I don't know what should I do with my life.

And only 1 day left... can I trust you Brazzers?

Can you promise me that you will make this set look as your envisioned?

Offline jessica

« Reply #592 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:53:01 »
Well... I've planned to wait for some of samples before I join to the group buy.

But those samples are going to change and I don't know what should I do with my life.

And only 1 day left... can I trust you Brazzers?

Can you promise me that you will make this set look as your envisioned?

100%. I'm perfectionist as h*ck, and that isn't changing for this set.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #593 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:08:39 »

100%. I'm perfectionist as h*ck, and that isn't changing for this set.

Joined, and I glad to hear that.

Perfectionist people are the best for this work.

I trusted you bud!!

Offline nugglets

« Reply #594 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 18:24:57 »
I really like that alpha color, but agree that options are always great. Who knows, the next sample may be even better =)

The purple is obviously too dark, though. Not sure what pictures they were looking at when they picked that one out but hopefully they do better on the second attempt.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:48:14 by nugglets »

Offline jessica

« Reply #595 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:15:32 »
I really like that alpha color, but agree that options are always great. Who knows, the next sample may be even better =)

The purple is obviously too dark, though. Not sure what pictures they were looking at when they picked that one out but hopefully they do better on the second try attempt.

Well, they just based it off a hex code which has variance, of course, based on the monitor.

Next time will be better, I imagine

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #596 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 05:48:06 »
Hey dudes, gotchu an update:

Show Image

Colour samples!!! The purple is going to be changed, it's too dark for what I envisioned. As for the yellow, I'm a big fan of it, but I also want to weigh my options. Gonna have GMK make a more yellow-y choice and then I'll be able to decide if I like the paler one or the more yellow one.

The red is just a standard GMK colour and can be seen here
Show Image
(bottom row, far left) to give an idea of what itll look like.

I'll letcha all know stuff as soon as I know stuff!

With love
Jessica

After deliberating between Plum and Coniferous, I bought in on Plum (AND Coniferous).

The colours look nice here, though I would say the yellow is already firmly in the yellow end. Take a look at the alternatives, but if I could choose a paler yellow - by even just a touch - I would.

I hope that influences your judgment in some way   :p

Oh, and congratulations on the buy - 1230+ is no mean feat. Speaking of which, is there the chance of another price drop at 1250?  :-*

Offline Kirfloof

« Reply #597 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 08:59:29 »
I'm sure it'll be fine in the end.

It was the whole de-saturated colours that sold me on it though, more interesting than the greys and beiges out there, but still being somewhat sober and serious.

All the standard GMK yellows are too strong, the one in the colour sample looks a bit stronger than the renders to my eye (such as I can tell on this screen). I'd be happy with that, or just a touch more washed out.

As long as we don't end up with a honey-yellow abomination it's all good  :thumb:

Offline flyingpike

« Reply #598 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 11:07:51 »

It was the whole de-saturated colours that sold me on it though, more interesting than the greys and beiges out there, but still being somewhat sober and serious.

All the standard GMK yellows are too strong, the one in the colour sample looks a bit stronger than the renders to my eye (such as I can tell on this screen). I'd be happy with that, or just a touch more washed out.

As long as we don't end up with a honey-yellow abomination it's all good  :thumb:

I agree, always hard to tell from a single photo but the yellow as shown is about as saturated as I would want too. I am sure the production version will look amazing!

Offline Chaosti

• Plastic Enthusiast
« Reply #599 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 11:40:23 »

Totally agree! If the final color is a really pleasant sort of creamy yellow, I would be so happy.