Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 381443 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1600 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 01:22:10 »
If there's a printout that I can toss the plates on to confirm layout, it won't be a problem to ID the plates and get them sorted appropriately.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1601 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 07:53:24 »
If there's a printout that I can toss the plates on to confirm layout, it won't be a problem to ID the plates and get them sorted appropriately.

Pretty sure the only difference between the plates is color.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1602 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 08:49:29 »
Color is no big deal then.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #1603 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 10:57:19 »
Anyway I can still get in on this?

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1604 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 12:35:35 »
hey, who is taking over this GB? nubbs or jd? Asking so I can have the shipping address for my order changed.

let me know when you can.

cheers. :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1605 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 13:19:11 »
I haven't been contacted by anyone about it.  My offer is still out there though.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #1606 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 11:58:55 »
paging mkawa.......

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1607 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 22:45:49 »
Alright, got an email from mkawa.  I'm trying to get the details so I can see if I can take it on without too much problem. 

Offline orevilo

« Reply #1608 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 10:39:06 »
he backed out.

Another Email from mkawa

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1609 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 18:00:08 »
he backed out.

Another Email from mkawa

?? Elaborate.

Offline orevilo

« Reply #1610 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 18:14:46 »
he backed out.

Another Email from mkawa

?? Elaborate.

That's it, that's all the email said. I assume it's in reference to nubinator. He said that he would take over the group buy but I guess he decided it was too much for him or something.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1611 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 19:55:52 »
he backed out.

Another Email from mkawa

?? Elaborate.

I delayed response because I've been swamped at work and trying to figure out how to respond to the e-mail since it seems like there's more to it than stated.  I have emailed him about it again though since I've finally had a little time to decompress from some very long and stressful work weeks.  In the e-mail it sounded like there was no one unified source for information of who gets what (there's "dumps of spreadsheets" from shopify and Google docs) and that not everyone would get everything they wanted.  I don't know if that latter is the design, colors, parts, or what.   

If it's going to be confirming orders, picking parts, shipping, and deflecting criticism back to the GB runner, I can do that and that's what I emailed him.  If it's new parts need to be made or just shipping what's there (even if it doesn't match their order) and telling people to deal with it, I'm passing.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1612 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 22:29:35 »
he backed out.

Another Email from mkawa

?? Elaborate.

I delayed response because I've been swamped at work and trying to figure out how to respond to the e-mail since it seems like there's more to it than stated.  I have emailed him about it again though since I've finally had a little time to decompress from some very long and stressful work weeks.  In the e-mail it sounded like there was no one unified source for information of who gets what (there's "dumps of spreadsheets" from shopify and Google docs) and that not everyone would get everything they wanted.  I don't know if that latter is the design, colors, parts, or what.   

If it's going to be confirming orders, picking parts, shipping, and deflecting criticism back to the GB runner, I can do that and that's what I emailed him.  If it's new parts need to be made or just shipping what's there (even if it doesn't match their order) and telling people to deal with it, I'm passing.
If you do take it on, I am down to help out.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1613 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 14:41:17 »
I can throw some effort or something in if anyone wants help.

I'm nearing the end of con season, meaning my free time is coming back.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1614 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 15:36:42 »
Did this go anywhere?

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #1615 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 15:46:04 »
Mkawa,  Nubbs I can help too during my breaks. Lmk what is needed
Hi :)

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1616 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 23:49:41 »
Guys mkawa hasn't been active on the site since June 9th... it's almost October. Real life probably got in the way, he realized he can't ship anything because of budget and/or time, and is just trying to forget the group buy and community exists. That's what I think anyway.
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #1617 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 00:00:57 »
Guys mkawa hasn't been active on the site since June 9th... it's almost October. Real life probably got in the way, he realized he can't ship anything because of budget and/or time, and is just trying to forget the group buy and community exists. That's what I think anyway.
mkawa is a little more trustable than you think.  He just needs some help.  He is swamped doing brainy things out East
Hi :)

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #1618 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 01:23:21 »
mkawa is a little more trustable than you think.  He just needs some help.  He is swamped doing brainy things out East

I think the truth is now somewhere in between. Yes, mkawa is swamped with work, health, and family issues. But also it's beginning to emerge that there are some seriously broken parts of this GB. Component parts aren't organized, stuff may, or may not be missing. It's certainly the case that colors that people requested are somewhere between pretty close and nothing at all like what you thought you asked for. Very few people will end up getting exactly what they ordered.

Granted, this is hearsay pieced together from bits of conversations, but while there's been legitimate reasons posted for delays, it might be telling that they weren't accompanied by status updates. I think that's because there isn't a clear path to make this GB right anymore. People who offered to proxy ship were instead told they needed to handle some tough customer service type communication with participants, and that's after sorting out the documentation.

All that said, I'm not angry (as a participant). I understand fully how big plans from talented young people can get out of control quickly. It doesn't take much to set things into a tail spin and it hurts to try and face the issues. If you think it's easy and the solution is to just "man up" then I would posit you haven't ever been in a position of responsibility for something that goes very wrong in a very public fashion.

I might or might not ever see something from this GB. It is very likely that if I do it won't be exactly what I ordered. My first wish is for Ming to be healthy and have success in future endeavors. If he's able to start tackling this again, he should know that there are many here willing to help provided things can be put in a way where we can help.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #1619 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 13:02:54 »
Sigh, also need to change my shipping address. Moving to a new office.

Still would rather sell my spot in the groupbuy but I'm uncomfortable taking anyone's money while this is still a mess.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline bboyer

« Reply #1620 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 17:17:57 »
I'm going to need to change my shipping address too

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1621 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 06:41:24 »
Geez
Tell Daddy.

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1622 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 16:10:56 »
Well, we're 4 months from Mwaka's last login, almost 5 - any thoughts on what can/ should be done here? I mean, at the end of the day the community has given him $11840 + add on money, and hasn't heard anything in months. Does the mods/ admins have any way of reaching out to him to see what if anything is being done to resolve this issue? I know he asked for patience but this is worse than kickstarter - at least they 'communicate' even if they are lying through their teeth.
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1623 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 16:25:14 »
Mkawa was supposed to get back to me power an email dated October 8.  I am still waiting for a response.

Edit:  Emailed him again for an update.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 October 2016, 22:39:40 by nubbinator »

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1624 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 08:24:48 »
Sigh...  waiting and still nothing from mkawa. :(

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1625 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:09:16 »
Yup, still no response here.  I was waiting for a handoff.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #1626 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 11:31:18 »
paging mkawa.......

paging ivan-*AHEM* i mean mkawa

:blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1627 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 21:22:31 »
So I have had some email communication with mkawa. He'd like to try and set up a "packing party". Is there anyone in the New England / New York area that would be interested in helping sort and pack everything up? He's in the Boston area. Obviously, we'd need to pick a date. Please reply if interested. Thanks.
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1628 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 00:55:49 »
Ok, finally heard back from mkawa from my last email.  I should, hopefully be getting everything sent to me.  It's going to suck and will likely take longer than I want to deal with, but this should finally be getting some movement once I get the stuff from him. 

Unfortunately, there's no date for the handoff yet.

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1629 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:24:22 »
You are a goddamn hero. Seriously. This keyboard was my wife's present to me for my masters graduation... I'm now been unemployed for a year, moved apartments, gotten a job, bought a house, had a dog pass away, gotten a new rescue dog... all in the time this group buy has taken.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1630 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 10:11:04 »
Its been quite some time since i participated. My interest in keyboards has faded. This gonna be the last board i will assemble probably...

Thanks nubbinator

Offline Lurch

« Reply #1631 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 05:21:23 »
Cheers nubbs, keep us posted. I'll help out where I can.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1632 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 20:26:41 »
Ok, finally heard back from mkawa from my last email.  I should, hopefully be getting everything sent to me.  It's going to suck and will likely take longer than I want to deal with, but this should finally be getting some movement once I get the stuff from him. 

Two-words, one is hypenated:  cross-country roadtrip (if my knowledge of everyone's geographic location is accurate).
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1633 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 07:33:51 »

Thank you for this.  I know what all is involved in this sort of thing, and it's not at all easy.  You will be overwhelmed, but take it one step and a time and we'll get there.   :-*

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1634 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 22:39:44 »

Thank you for this.  I know what all is involved in this sort of thing, and it's not at all easy.  You will be overwhelmed, but take it one step and a time and we'll get there.   :-*

It shouldn't be too bad, but he still is quiet.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1635 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 10:32:27 »
I just had a MiniVan arrive yesterday.  Still hoping to get this one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chronos

« Reply #1636 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 02:15:52 »
As one of the original participants in this buy I've checked back occasionally and been disappointed and troubled - this was started back in 2014 and its now 2017.  Still, it seems the whole project was started with honest intentions so it's best to look forward.

I'm not in a position to get involved with the physical shipping of the keyboards, but it's clear that people's addresses have changed and there may no longer be a clear record of who got what.

Given that the original order was for 11k, I estimate that there were something like 60 buyers.  With 10 'logistics' volunteers that makes 6 to a person - get in touch with them, figure out what they expect to get, confirm the latest shipping addresses, and act as point for people helping with shipment.  Sorting through the paperwork, handling communication and figuring out what needs to happen logistically could certainly contribute to the delay so alleviating just that piece seems worthwhile.

I am more than happy to sort through whatever records exist and get that information ready for anyone else who wants to help.

It sounds like original buyers may not get what they expected.  Clearly its time to ship whatever is ready and call it a day.  With a general sense of what is missing from the current inventory "breaking the bad news" can happen and we can all move forward to wrap this up.

Finally, with the various problems with the project along the way there may no longer be any funds remaining for the actual shipping.  I can only speak for myself here, but I'd be more than happy to kick in for priority shipping for my keyboard (I'm in the US) - just bubble wrap it, toss whatever is ready from my order (plates, board, or whatever) in the premade box, and ship.  Hopefully most participants are in the US and this is a valid option for many of us.  I realize this is a big ask for everyone but at least for those reading, consider the possibility that you have may to spend a bit more, and may get less - its better than nothing.

Thanks to others who have posted here.

For mkawa, I know you'll be happier than all of us combined to get this wrapped up.  Being able to ask for help is a skill so work on it now: get on your email, get back to people promptly. If some more funds for shipping and so on are needed just be direct about it.  Projects don't go perfectly, thats no reason to give up.  Hope we can all make something happen soon.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1637 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 05:22:42 »
Unfortunately, I'm not in US, in Asia instead. Anyway, i still want the board and lets sort things out. At least we have the PCB and the case (even not painted) which is enough to build a board?

Offline chronos

« Reply #1638 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 14:05:10 »
Sorry fatchoi - I figured there were international buyers, just *hoping* the majority are domestic (since it means pre-printed USPS boxes can be used - simplifies shipping logistics)

I went over the last 4 or 5 pages of posts on this group buy.  There have been plenty of offers to help from various people - add me to the list.

Mkawa, responding to emails and accepting the offers for help will help put this behind you and is very important.  Don't leave people who have offered to help waiting for a month without an email reply - just reply.

Everyone who participated, sounds like at the very least there are: plates and populated PCBs.  As others have said, there may be pieces missing, but going from there to a working keyboard will be under your control once you have what's there.

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1639 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 00:56:45 »
Anyone have any news? It's been over a month since the hand off should have happened and unless everything was shipped by turtles things should have arrived by now.

Offline johnconner

« Reply #1640 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 16:05:07 »
I'm also one of the original partisipants (I bought it over the old [CTRL]ALT store) and I think chronos is right.
Getting over with this thing would be the best option for everyone. Send whats done and I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping (even if it's just the plate or something).
What now would be importent is to give everyone some clear infos (how many parts are there, who has them, is there still money left for shipping, and so on).
After that we could all let it rest in peace.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1641 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 16:24:18 »
I'm also one of the original partisipants (I bought it over the old [CTRL]ALT store) and I think chronos is right.
Getting over with this thing would be the best option for everyone. Send whats done and I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping (even if it's just the plate or something).
What now would be importent is to give everyone some clear infos (how many parts are there, who has them, is there still money left for shipping, and so on).
After that we could all let it rest in peace.
I think you're confused this group buy wasn't through [CTRL]ALT

Offline johnconner

« Reply #1642 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 17:00:50 »
Ok that's strage. I bought the JD-40 kit over[CTRL]ALT in january 2015. when nothing happened I got in contact with them and they told me that there were some personal problems with the guy that builds them but that someone had orderd replacement parts to help get the keyboards out. This exchange was nearly a year ago, so everything lined up with the events of the groupbuy here so I thought that CTRL[ALT] was just an other option to participate.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1643 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 14:52:56 »
Ok that's strage. I bought the JD-40 kit over[CTRL]ALT in january 2015. when nothing happened I got in contact with them and they told me that there were some personal problems with the guy that builds them but that someone had orderd replacement parts to help get the keyboards out. This exchange was nearly a year ago, so everything lined up with the events of the groupbuy here so I thought that CTRL[ALT] was just an other option to participate.

JD-40 != SF-40 afaik. Sorry dude :(

Though i think they're using JD40 boards for these now.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1644 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:32:07 »

hey good sir, shoot me a pm with your order details and ill get you sorted out
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
[GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1645 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 20:24:24 »
This is getting crazy now. I've moved to a new house, lived in said house for years, and am now moving to a new house in the time since I bought in. I wish I had someone to send my new address to at least.

GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline chronos

« Reply #1646 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 01:47:35 »
y0 - I got nothing.  No messages in my inbox since my posts a few months ago and just the replies you see.

I've acclimated to the geologic timescales of this project and totally understand, but like I said to everyone, I'm ready to get in and help with logistics.

There is something tangible somewhere, probably in Ming Kawa's house (please if anyone can, confirm that this is mkawa's full name) that needs to be spread out to whoever bought in on this group buy.

Getting there isn't as hard as curing cancer but I get that there is a human involved here who has a lot of stuff on their plate.

I'm not a social networking person but if someone can confirm that Ming Kawa (or whatever they are named) is still alive, and knows what academic institution they are affiliated with please feel free to forward that information along.  I see that there is a person at risk in this situation and just want to help.  If you know social media accounts associated with this person I'd be happy to take a look and make sure they're still ok, just send those too.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1647 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 22:22:24 »
redacted
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 May 2017, 00:47:15 by Serendipity »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1648 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:31:09 »
y0 - I got nothing.  No messages in my inbox since my posts a few months ago and just the replies you see.

I've acclimated to the geologic timescales of this project and totally understand, but like I said to everyone, I'm ready to get in and help with logistics.

There is something tangible somewhere, probably in Ming Kawa's house (please if anyone can, confirm that this is mkawa's full name) that needs to be spread out to whoever bought in on this group buy.

Getting there isn't as hard as curing cancer but I get that there is a human involved here who has a lot of stuff on their plate.

I'm not a social networking person but if someone can confirm that Ming Kawa (or whatever they are named) is still alive, and knows what academic institution they are affiliated with please feel free to forward that information along.  I see that there is a person at risk in this situation and just want to help.  If you know social media accounts associated with this person I'd be happy to take a look and make sure they're still ok, just send those too.

He just got up and left and through the no witch hunting role or shaming he's able to get away with it. Running a group buy for over 1 year is already questionable yet so many people get away with it, after three years one really needs to question more.

There isn't even any mechanism for dealing w/ this **** other than "caveat emptor" but come on, this is the person who ran the geekhack store, how the **** doesn't at least ONE admin on this site know his contact info, and get involved to the extent of at least getting the plates from mkawa to whomever wants to finish distribution?

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1649 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:04:41 »
Well, I don't know if mkawa even runs this actively anymore but here's the contact info for geekhackers.org, where we originally purchased the stuff - https://www.geekhackers.org/pages/contact-us It's got a phone number, for whatever that is worth. I've left a message.