Author Topic: Advice on getting right keycaps  (Read 3588 times)

Offline rsrogers4

Advice on getting right keycaps
« on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 12:03:02 »
I was fortunate enough to get a Frog TKL last night at the extras sale. This will be my first custom mechanical keyboard, and I need some help verifying that I'm getting the right keycaps. It is surprisingly complicated and I need a second set of eyes to make sure I get the right keycaps.

I got the Frog F12 TKL (silver) with the 86 Hotswap (North Facing) PCB.

On the advice from some kind folks on BlackSimon's discord, I plan to purchase the SA-P Snowcap Keyset. I'll need the Alphas and TKL Text Adder. As a newbie, getting the correct modifier kits is a bit tricky for me. I am guessing on the Units for the keys since they aren't labeled on the Frog PCB diagram. It looks like I'll need:
  • 60% Modifier Text Kit, for what appears to be R1 2U Backspace, R2 1.5U Tab, R2 1.5U "\", R3 2.25U Enter, and R4 2.75 Right Shift
  • Alternate Text Kit, for what appears to be R3 1.75U Stepped Caps, R4 2.25U Left Shift, R4 1.5U Ctrl and Alt, and R4 1U Winkey
  • 7 Unit Spacebar

Can someone smarter than me check on my analysis? It feels "off" to have to buy 5 different kits, but I see that the Geon hotswap 87 PCB appears to have a more "standard" TKL layout but the 87 hotswap PCB isn't available yet.
Geonworks Frog TKL w/62g Alpaca v2 (lubed, TX springs), SA-P Industrial PBT caps | Maker Alexa w/boba u4t stock, DCS 9009 caps

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Advice on getting right keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 12:16:31 »
This does look to be the case of needing 5 kits, kitting for this set is just not the best, but its something done with SP as almost any extra keys is extremely expensive and is best to have as much kits as possible.

Offline rsrogers4

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 12:43:14 »
Thanks so much for the review. I now understand better when BlackSimon talks about bad kitting decisions in his reviews. It is painful to have to buy so many kits! I guess on the plus side, if I reuse the keycaps for other keyboard layouts in the future, I'll have good coverage.
Geonworks Frog TKL w/62g Alpaca v2 (lubed, TX springs), SA-P Industrial PBT caps | Maker Alexa w/boba u4t stock, DCS 9009 caps

Offline rsrogers4

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 09:28:34 »
I have a follow on question. For the Frog TKL (which has been shipped!), I'm getting the 86_Hotswap PCB.

The layout shows a stepped caps lock. The keyset that I'm leaning toward (Signature Plastics DSS Tecla) doesn't appear to have a stepped caps lock available. Is this going to be a problem? I'd hate to blow $180 on keycaps only to find out that it is a problem.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 July 2021, 09:36:13 by rsrogers4 »

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 09:47:50 »
I have a follow on question. For the Frog TKL (which has been shipped!), I'm getting the 86_Hotswap PCB.

The layout shows a stepped caps lock. The keyset that I'm leaning toward (Signature Plastics DSS Tecla) doesn't appear to have a stepped caps lock available. Is this going to be a problem? I'd hate to blow $180 on keycaps only to find out that it is a problem.

Yes, this will be a problem. You'll have to find a set with a stepped caps lock since there will be no way to modify the pcb to change it standard.

Offline rsrogers4

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 10:01:07 »
Thank you!