Author Topic: Suggestions for Advantage keyboard  (Read 287514 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: Suggestions for Advantage keyboard
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 18:31:54 »
I think Kinesis has been bombarded with every possible request for free beta testing boards, I guess it comes with the territory.

Although I don't specifically know how Kinesis is administering the program, often beta testing involves different groups of people testing different aspects. It can be very specialized, as it should be. That's the idea behind test beds.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline kaltar

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 19:00:42 »
When are they updating the advantage? I am curious.

Still a work in process. Wish I had news for everyone but there were some delays and also other products we've been working on launching first. Beta testing should start within 1-3 months (some of you are on the list  :thumb:). Which likely pushes the release date to early 2015.

By the way, if anyone is interested, Kinesis is currently having a sale on refurbished Advantage keyboards for $215.  They come with the same 2 year warranty & 60-day money back guarantee. http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage-for-pc-mac-refurbished/

May I join the beta testing? My advantage I've been using for a year with my magic trackpad (clicky!) mount modification to prove my worthiness.  :)

I used dashgrip and cut a piece of plastic to hold the trackpad so I can still use the clicky feet of the trackpad. Purposefully place near to the left side so my left hand can reach it without stretching out too much. Changed thumb cluster top keys to flat keys to make more room for the trackpad.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

album: http://imgur.com/a/IL8ve

great job argcargv. I tried something similar time ago (I got the apple trackpad just for the mod), but I just didn't like it. I know the advantage of using both hands for moving the cursor, but just couldn't get used to it. I used a base of 2 metallic book stands to get a solid stand for it, and did not glue it to the keyboard.

I know, I know... It just looks so functional.
BTW, what size of keys did you use for the thumb cluster?

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:03:46 »
I think Kinesis has been bombarded with every possible request for free beta testing boards, I guess it comes with the territory.

Although I don't specifically know how Kinesis is administering the program, often beta testing involves different groups of people testing different aspects. It can be very specialized, as it should be. That's the idea behind test beds.

I didn't mean it to be free, I would gladly pay double the price for beta testing their new advantage  :thumb:

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:06:27 »
kaltar, the single tall thumb key are SA, the other keys DSA, the flat keys are also from signature plastic.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 22:11:02 »

I didn't mean it to be free, I would gladly pay double the price for beta testing their new advantage  :thumb:

Clarification:
My intent wasn't that YOU'RE banging to get a FREE BETA board, I meant that in GENERAL I'm pretty sure peeps either want a free/discounted test board, or access to the beta boards (who wouldn't?)….but I didn't mean to direct anything at you.

But I know it would bring about world peace if Kinesis gave out free Advantage keyboards to the typists of the world.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline lgleasain

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:27:14 »
How about a beta program where you pay the expected retail price for the final product,  with the agreement being that you have to return the beta item at the end for the final product when it comes out? 

I would love to be a beta tester for this.

My wish list is a metal case,  backlit keys,  no more rubber control keys and full media key support.

Lance

Offline vatin

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 03:38:45 »
Please kinesis. Contoured split design no more rubber keys full programmability and bluetooth. Other than this I would have a hard time parting with my money.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline kaltar

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:46:13 »
kaltar, the single tall thumb key are SA, the other keys DSA, the flat keys are also from signature plastic.

thanks. the top thumb keys look almost unreachable, but looks cool.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:03:51 »
I can't reach them with my thumb anyways, and I rarely if ever, use them.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #209 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 13:26:03 »
I've often wondered, more now than ever, if Kinesis is missing the boat by not having a different theory of an "upgraded model". Something much different than the Advantage Pro, which really is no different than an Advantage but looks great with an iMac due to the silver/black motif. What if they made an additional model, a limited run, super-upgraded version of the Contoured Advantage?

PBT or equal keycaps
Increased programmability (this is coming soon)
Backlighting (this is coming soon)
Addressing the rubber keys (tough solution)
Color styling options
Better foam wrist pads

REALLY DELUX THIS KEYBOARD!

Granted I did some of these mods and others have done the others, but I'm guessing if they made a highly upgraded model with a very modest price bump, it would be a sales tool to get even more attention and sales interest.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #210 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 13:27:53 »
Is Maltron getting extra sales thanks to the pink or gold edition?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #211 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 13:30:56 »
Is Maltron getting extra sales thanks to the pink or gold edition?

Good question.

But I'd think it would be a lot more than a color option. Function over form.

Offline autoturk

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 18:23:42 »

Still a work in process. Wish I had news for everyone but there were some delays and also other products we've been working on launching first. Beta testing should start within 1-3 months (some of you are on the list  :thumb:). Which likely pushes the release date to early 2015.

By the way, if anyone is interested, Kinesis is currently having a sale on refurbished Advantage keyboards for $215.  They come with the same 2 year warranty & 60-day money back guarantee. http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage-for-pc-mac-refurbished/

May I join the beta testing? My advantage I've been using for a year with my magic trackpad (clicky!) mount modification to prove my worthiness.  :)

I used dashgrip and cut a piece of plastic to hold the trackpad so I can still use the clicky feet of the trackpad. Purposefully place near to the left side so my left hand can reach it without stretching out too much. Changed thumb cluster top keys to flat keys to make more room for the trackpad.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Can you provide some deers about where you got that plastic bit to rest the trackpad on (or if you have an extra left over?)? That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for to mount my trackpad ( I hate tap to click ).

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 08:01:58 »
autoturk, I got my plastic from a keyboard roof that I am not using anymore
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,roofs&pid=rfek

I am sure you can find a cheaper piece of plastic that is strong enough to provide a solid foundation.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 11:59:53 »
I've often wondered, more now than ever, if Kinesis is missing the boat by not having a different theory of an "upgraded model". Something much different than the Advantage Pro, which really is no different than an Advantage but looks great with an iMac due to the silver/black motif. What if they made an additional model, a limited run, super-upgraded version of the Contoured Advantage?

PBT or equal keycaps
Color styling options
Better foam wrist pads

Granted I did some of these mods and others have done the others, but I'm guessing if they made a highly upgraded model with a very modest price bump, it would be a sales tool to get even more attention and sales interest.

This is something we'd like to do. Revamp the Advantage Pro so that it's not just an upgraded Advantage, but many of the things you stated.

BTW, Rubber function rows will be a thing of the past!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:31:23 »

PBT or equal keycaps
Color styling options
Better foam wrist pads

This is something we'd like to do. Revamp the Advantage Pro so that it's not just an upgraded Advantage, but many of the things you stated.

No more rubberzz?

Yea, I don't need no protection, that's how I roll :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:46:17 »
Nice to hear you are addressing #4 of my suggestions

Any comment on the rest, such as increased tenting angle and more keys?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline vvp

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:53:13 »
... and more keys?
+1
The new Kinesis Advantage needs at least 2 more easily accessible modifier keys: WindowsKey and LayerShift.
I miss them so much that I'm building my own keyboard which has them :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:41:30 »
I hope they heed MY #1 suggestion and paint dat ting BRIGHT RED!

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:18:21 »
Nice to hear you are addressing #4 of my suggestions

Any comment on the rest, such as increased tenting angle and more keys?

Only thing I can comment on is #6. That's a go.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:19:19 »

PBT or equal keycaps
Color styling options
Better foam wrist pads

No more rubberzz?

Yea, I don't need no protection, that's how I roll :)

Such a rebel!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:21:05 »
What's #6?

Offline vvp

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:26:07 »
LayerShift (or KeypadShift)

Offline vvp

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:29:35 »
ROFL, I like that!

Offline hoggy

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:41:36 »
Fantastic to hear that things are coming on!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kaltar

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:46:05 »
Just one more year until we see this new kinesis!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:46:34 »

ROFL, I like that!

I kne, right? I'm my sig, the Split Kinesis article (that's still borked, but I have links to pics thanks to CptBadAss) has a pic of a red board and a black board with red home keys (that's mine).

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:04:19 »

ROFL, I like that!

I kne, right? I'm my sig, the Split Kinesis article (that's still borked, but I have links to pics thanks to CptBadAss) has a pic of a red board and a black board with red home keys (that's mine).

Can you link the album for your split advantage? I really want to see it but have a hard time sorting through that thread to find the link

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:06:05 »
I think the link is at the top (first screen)

Offline k3strel

« Reply #229 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:54:53 »
Another vote for LayerShift and better function keys.

Add those two features and I will replace my current Advantage Pro in a heartbeat

Offline cruzin

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 00:09:29 »
Oh, man. After reading through this thread I'm excited to see the next gen! I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been posted.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline yirimyah

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 09:23:51 »
Yay, a real FN row! Other than that?

1. A trackball. Please, please, a trackball.
2. Other switch options. MX Clears?
3. PBT keycaps - at least as an option - maybe this could be one of the distinguishing factors between the new Advantage and the new Advantage Pro.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 12:35:41 »
Yay, a real FN row! Other than that?

1. A trackball. Please, please, a trackball.
2. Other switch options. MX Clears?
3. PBT keycaps - at least as an option - maybe this could be one of the distinguishing factors between the new Advantage and the new Advantage Pro.

Better than Cherry clears or anything Cherry makes:
Matias switches!

Offline vvp

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:04:52 »
Matias switches!

Heh, and almost no way to get replacement keycaps?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:23:14 »
Matias switches!

Heh, and almost no way to get replacement keycaps?

I didn't say it was easy! <joke> but it's totally worth it, the Matias Quiet tactile switches are awesome...tried them at Kiibohd 8 yesterday (as week as the Clicky tactile).

Actually Signature Plastics makes the keycaps we need.
I'm committed to removing the Cherry switches, filing the key wells slightly wider and inserting Matias Quiet Click.

At Kiibohd 8 yesterday I measured the openings of Haatas "cross-platform switch plate" that will hold Cherry AND Matias.... wait for it...wait for it...wait........(approx) 15.5mm x 13.9mm (approx) openings will hold either type switch.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 14:52:03 by Input Nirvana »

Offline synerr

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 12:28:16 »
I think we're more likely to see Perl 7 before we get a new Advantage.
Press any key to continue, any other key to quit.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 13:03:25 »
I think we're more likely to see Perl 7 before we get a new Advantage.

Doesn't really matter much at this point...so many advancement via GH are happening, that the resources needed to make almost anything is close to hitting the street. We're just about in "the now".

Offline goflo

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:02:08 »
@natas206
Any news regarding features and release date?
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline naz

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 18:45:46 »
here is a picture that i haven't see posted on this topic. Would love to see more pics.

source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1501919/kinesis-ergo-keyboards-post-yours

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 12:20:32 »
Here are a couple more:

Offline naz

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 13:37:16 »
It's a beauty! is it a prototype of the up comming new version??? (would buy it with in a heart beat)

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 14:55:48 »
It's a beauty! is it a prototype of the up comming new version??? (would buy it with in a heart beat)

No it's someone's personal mod, I think it originated from a Korean website.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 20:40:30 »
Yes, it's a Korean mod I re-posted in the article (which is still not fixed). He replaced the switches, controller, hand wired, and added the additional keys. I've named it "The Mothership" (because I can't read Korean)

Offline pnutster

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 22:10:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Recent user of Kinesis Advantage due to tendon problem caused by hunt and peck keyboarding for nearly 2 decades. Frantically feeding my mouse / trackball addiction to find the best one, but finding that trackpad for me is the fastest around (in combination with better touch tool). Really liking the above mod. May try that out very soon. Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 22:13:14 by pnutster »
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline VGamer360

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 17:56:37 »
natas206, I purchased the Kinesis Advantage Pro a few months ago. Do you think there will be any trade-in programs or discounted price of the new keyboard when it hits the market? I'm not expecting any deal like that, but at the price they cost, it would be a nice offer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 18:04:08 by VGamer360 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 18:44:17 »
My advantage I've been using for a year with my magic trackpad (clicky!) mount modification to prove my worthiness.  :)

(pics from argcargv; pulled out of the quotation so they render here)

I somehow didn’t notice this before. I like the use of the SA keycaps on a few keys. I’m curious about the flat low-profile keycaps though. Seems like those would be nearly impossible to press.

Offline pnutster

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 20:53:14 »
Working 2 months a year in Nova Scotia during summer-time (home-base is Ontario) and travelling with the Kinesis Advantage is a bit of a pain, can't really say it is "mobile friendly"  :eek: Decided to order one for our Nova Scotia summer address. And now I read this post and a bit reluctant to order just yet. Next trip is still half a year away... I can only hope the new Advantage is out before that time.

By no means a long term user of the Kinesis Advantage; ± 1.5 years now, however if there's 1 "complaint", it's the finicky rubber Function keys. Reading that those will be a thing of the past really makes me want to wait with buying now.

I know asking for an ETA is useless, but one can still hope  :p

Edit: Reading is such an art... Just read the entire post where there is a mention by Natas206 of possibly a release by early 2015. That would be perfect timing!!!
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 November 2014, 21:48:06 by pnutster »
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline k3y

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 14:02:54 »
Probably too late for consideration but here are some of my suggestions (not in particular order):

1. Make macros printable to a text doc so we can see what's stored where.

2. Powered USB ports that are accessible (not under the board like currently)

3. Flip feet on the user edge (palm-edge) of the board.

4. PBT keycap option.

5. Change the thumb clusters so the tilt is sloped higher at center of board to lower closer to main key-clusters.  keys/ \keys instead of the current \keys  keys/ slope. I hope that makes sense. They are uncomfortable to me how they currently are. It feels like I'm reaching over the keys to press instead of my thumb moving over to bump the keys which would be much more ergonomic in my opinion.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 December 2014, 14:08:04 by k3y »

Offline highend

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 22:04:36 »
Hi,

does any beta tester got a sample yet? I've just bought the current version of the advantage keyboard but I don't know if I should keep it. The function keys are (sorry) ridiculous and if it's really out in only a few months I'd send the current one back (not a problem with Amazon) and wait for the new version.

Offline pw

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:08:50 »
Any update on the likely release date for this? Id like to get a column-aligned keyboard, and I think the kinesis would be most suitable for me. Still, I don't want to invest in one and have a new improved model released the next day (or even month!).

Re improvements: maybe a lower profile, and some sound damping or stiffening to make it quieter.

I prefer a single-piece keyboard for convenience and a tidy desk, and that would keep costs down too I guess.