Author Topic: Ergodox left hand not working  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Poom

Ergodox left hand not working
« on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 22:39:25 »
Hi, I built my Ergodox about 2 years ago and used it on a daily basis for about half a year, so its been in the box since then. Today, out of the blue I just wanted to use the Ergodox again so got it out and plugged in but then it's not working.

After trying this and that, i got the right hand working, but not the left. similar to these 2 threads

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70854.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55947.0

the difference is, mine was working without a problem before, so I dont think it's hardware issues or anything to do with how i assembled it.

A few things have changed since the first time I was using it. I upgraded my computer and now on Windows 10, previously Windows 7.

So, initially nothing was working, so I took apart the right hand to access the Teensy button, did all the firmwear and loaded a default layout from Massdrop configurator again. Then the right hand works, could type, change layer etc. also in Windows 10, under connected device, shows the computer recognized the keyboard as 'Ergodox Ergonomic Keyboard". but when plugging in the left hand, windows stops recognizing the device altogether. as if I unplugged the keyboard.

I also tried connect both hands together then plug in the usb like one of suggestion on the tread, but still both hands not working. unplug the left one, then the right one works.

Also there is this weird thing with the mouse, once i plug the ergodox usb in my mouse stops working, need to unplug and change to a different usb port.

I dont see others having the same problem on the internet so far.

But please, those who might know how to fix this, please enlighten me on this.

Thank you so much, also if more info is needed about the problem please let me know.

Poom

Offline plainbriny

Re: Ergodox left hand not working
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 22:45:40 »
I think the most likely cause might be the cable.
Try to replace the TRRS cable and see what will happen.

Offline Poom

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 23:09:33 »
I think the most likely cause might be the cable.
Try to replace the TRRS cable and see what will happen.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried with a different cable, still the same result.

But I found this, so if both hands are connected, computer wont recognized the keyboard at all, all LEDs are off, like there's no power.
When only the right one is connected, the led on the top is on, i dont remember if it's always on when it is plugged in, dont even know what the LEDs are for anyway or what they mean.

The interesting thing, if i connect the TRRS cable to the right hand, even without the other end plugged into the left hand, the keyboard goes off right away. like disconnected, no power, no led, not responsive.

Is this weird?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 18:07:09 »
Yes that's weird, the cable should just act as an extension of the socket if the other end is unplugged so nothing different should happen.

Unless you're plugging in the cable with it switched on?  If you do that it will short as the connector goes in which may well turn it off, so try plugging the TRRS cable in first then the USB - does that work?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline profet

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:24:22 »
Yes that's weird, the cable should just act as an extension of the socket if the other end is unplugged so nothing different should happen.

Unless you're plugging in the cable with it switched on?  If you do that it will short as the connector goes in which may well turn it off, so try plugging the TRRS cable in first then the USB - does that work?

This.

The cables on the ergdox are not "hot swappable" they must be connected (or disconnected) before you plug it in via USB.

The default functionality of the three Ergodox LEDs are CapsLock, NumLock and Scroll Lock. If you have a second keyboard connected its easier to test the functionality of these LEDs.
Bringing custom Ergodoxes to the masses.

My heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/102649

Offline Poom

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:07:53 »

This.

The cables on the ergdox are not "hot swappable" they must be connected (or disconnected) before you plug it in via USB.

The default functionality of the three Ergodox LEDs are CapsLock, NumLock and Scroll Lock. If you have a second keyboard connected its easier to test the functionality of these LEDs.

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for all the answers, I tried all the methods you guys mentioned but still, left hand is not working.

The symptoms are just weird.
1. When the TRRS are both plugged in, then usb, no response from the computer, nothing is working, no power.
2. As soon as I unplug the TRRS, either from the left or the right side (while the usb is still plugged in), the computer recognizes the keyboard immediately (only the right side is working of course)
2. when doing step 2, then plug the TRRS back in, the keyboard disconnects back to step 1.
3. when only the right side is plugged in the top LED is on, cant disable it, directly from the ergodox (have default layout loaded), or from the second keyboard.

So im starting to think it's a hardware issue now. short circuit? of some sort?

It's just weird that, it was working without a problem before, and just put it aside, didnt open the case, didnt move it anywhere far just around the room, what could possibly goes wrong. moister? perhaps? over the winter?

Offline profet

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:42:35 »

This.

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for all the answers, I tried all the methods you guys mentioned but still, left hand is not working.

The symptoms are just weird.
1. When the TRRS are both plugged in, then usb, no response from the computer, nothing is working, no power.
2. As soon as I unplug the TRRS, either from the left or the right side (while the usb is still plugged in), the computer recognizes the keyboard immediately (only the right side is working of course)
2. when doing step 2, then plug the TRRS back in, the keyboard disconnects back to step 1.
3. when only the right side is plugged in the top LED is on, cant disable it, directly from the ergodox (have default layout loaded), or from the second keyboard.

So im starting to think it's a hardware issue now. short circuit? of some sort?

It's just weird that, it was working without a problem before, and just put it aside, didnt open the case, didnt move it anywhere far just around the room, what could possibly goes wrong. moister? perhaps? over the winter?

Have you tried a different TRRS cable? That's the most likely thing to break.

Offline Poom

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 23:27:01 »
Yep, tried different TRRS cable and a different usb cable also, same problem.  :(

Offline profet

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 23:41:49 »
Yep, tried different TRRS cable and a different usb cable also, same problem.  :(

At this point... Pictures

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:36:29 »
I had to say, most TRRS cable out there are just too fragile.

I have tried several and they all failed.

Ultimately I ordered one, using cable for speaker, and it worked well. (the black one in attachment)

Recently I made one myself, because the custom made one is too short, and the one I built is also working like a charm. (the grey one in attachment)

119592-0

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 07:34:17 »
The fact that your mouse dies as well, at least to me, indicates that the USB controller shuts down for some reason. This happens to me on a regular basis. Usually from shorting something out =P The USB port shuts down when too much power is drawn, and I find something on my breadboard not connected correctly... The port usually jumps back on-line after a while or after a reboot. Good thing, those protection circuits =)

Connect the left hand, and make sure VCC and GND aren't shorted.

Offline Poom

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:12:55 »
The fact that your mouse dies as well, at least to me, indicates that the USB controller shuts down for some reason. This happens to me on a regular basis. Usually from shorting something out =P The USB port shuts down when too much power is drawn, and I find something on my breadboard not connected correctly... The port usually jumps back on-line after a while or after a reboot. Good thing, those protection circuits =)

Connect the left hand, and make sure VCC and GND aren't shorted.

Hey, thanks, it seems you are right about not having enough power.
After trying to plug in at different ports, the mouse disconnecting was a problem anymore.
Then, tried to plug into my macbook pro (it used to work on there), and I got this error " USB devices disabled: Unplug the device using too much power".
So this confirms something isnt right, some sort of short circuit i think, it worked on the macbook pro before. Unplug the left and right hands works.

What are VCC and GND? how do i know if they are shorted? and how to fix that?

I also tried different USB cables, same problem.

Thank you

Offline profet

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:37:23 »
VCC should be 5V (red wire) and GND should be the black wire on the usb cable that goes from the teensy to the pcb.

I would check to make sure that those wires are still insulated and not bare and touching(if they are... a little electrical tap should fix it).

The other thing you should check is that you don't have too much solder on the bottom of the USB mini port.

See image:

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2015, 12:03:32 by profet »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 12:01:47 »
VCC should be 5V (red wire) and GND should be the black wire on the usb cable that goes from the teensy to the pcb.

I would check to make sure that those wire are still insulated and not bare and touching(if they are... a little electrical tap should fix it).

The other thing you should check is that you don't have too much solder on the bottom of the USB micro port.

See image:

(Attachment Link)

If the right side works alone the USB socket is good, the problem is either the cable or the left side :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline profet

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 12:12:02 »

If the right side works alone the USB socket is good, the problem is either the cable or the left side :)

Good call.

Could you have jumped the wrong pair of through holes next to the TRRS ports?

Offline profet

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 12:12:33 »
And I say again... pictures... would really make this easier.

Offline Poom

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:48:23 »
hi everyone that has been helping so far. I think pictures would be good also, but im on a work project away from home for 2 months. So will only able to take the pictures again early or mid February. Will update again with pictures. Thank you guys. Merry christmas and happy new year!

Offline maximusjesse

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 03:49:08 »
hi everyone that has been helping so far. I think pictures would be good also, but im on a work project away from home for 2 months. So will only able to take the pictures again early or mid February. Will update again with pictures. Thank you guys. Merry christmas and happy new year!
Hi, have you had any luck with this problem? I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms with my own ergodox, to the dot.  Let me know if there was a resolution!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline profet

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 09:10:42 »
You have a short.

Pictures?

Offline maximusjesse

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 16:17:51 »
I'll post some pictures tonight.  What should I be looking for to indicate that I have a short?  I'll peruse this thread again in detail when I'm home, thanks for the response.

Offline maximusjesse

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 23:43:35 »

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 19:04:11 »
Can you take the boards out of the case, improve the lighting, and mail the focus? What I see there is a mix of fuzzy, reflections, and can't tell what's happening due to lighting.

In any case, you guys need to check your cables for shorts, and remember: never plug/unplug the TRRS cables while the keyboard has power.

You might also try a powered USB hub with the ergodox as the only thing plugged into it. Maybe there's another device using a bunch of the peer budget for the onboard hub?