Author Topic: Help w/ setup for severe hand arthritis  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Argo

Help w/ setup for severe hand arthritis
« on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 23:38:48 »
I have really bad arthritis in my hands, and typing is painful but I have to do it anyway to make a living. I would greatly appreciate it if I could get some suggestions on a better keyboard based on a few specifications.

The part that hurts the most is definitely bottoming out, by far.  I know I could bottom out less with heavier switches, but pressing down hurts too (just not as much as hitting the bottom), so I'd rather keep a light switch. Currently have cherry MX reds and am trying to learn how to type without reaching the bottom.

Sometimes, I'm going to bottom out just by mistake. For when this does happen, I'd like to make it more cushioned. I've looked at both o-rings and landing pads for this. I'm not concerned with noise at all; I just want to know which one of these (or a combination of them potentially) would make bottoming out feel softest/have the least resistance.

I'm worried if I get something too thick I'll just end up bottoming out even more often, so I'm hoping someone can suggest a middle ground that will feel cushioned without taking away too much of the "buffer" distance between the actuation point and reaching the bottom. Ideally I don't want to be hitting the cushion every time, only when I mess up (unless it really is so soft that it doesn't matter, but I find this hard to imagine considering even a light touch of a phone screen can be very painful for me sometimes).

Is there another type of switch I could switch to that has its actuation point higher in the keystroke without requiring more force? I was thinking that would make the area from actuation to bottom larger and therefore provide more room for error.

TLDR:
I want a switch that's light and has an actuation point very high in the keystroke
I want some type of modification to provide the softest cushion possible from accidentally bottoming out without causing me to do it too much more often

Any other, less conventional solutions are also welcome but I do want to have a good traditional style keyboard as a baseline. I'm honestly not that worried about key layout/wrist ergonomics etc., mostly just improving the keystrokes themselves.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2017, 00:34:06 by Argo »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Help w/ setup for severe hand arthritis
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 03:18:18 »
Soft-landing pads have hardness only 30A iirc, less then common o-rings (40-50A or more). They're a mushy mess on linear switches though imho.

That said, I prefer switches with a steeper force curve; specifically, I'm using (vintage) MX Black switches with 78g springs (more or less the same properties as stock MX Clear springs, only slightly lighter): there's less preload and the switch is easier to actuate, but harder to bottom out than stock MX Black.

Some people also prefer tactile or audible feedback ± at actuation, as it helps them avoid bottoming out. I don't particularly care, but had a great experience with the buzzer in Kinesis Advantage that beeped on actuation.

Another option is moving to rubber domes: 30g Topre or clones from Noppoo/PLUM, or I really liked Goldtouch Adjustable keyboard back when I still had it.

Finally, just _type_ less and use text expansion, dictation software or something else instead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 16:52:42 »
So.. yes, some things on the ergonomic side will surely help

especially high tenting split form factor of keyboards such as the ergodox..

But, Keep in mind, that the Latest information on Arthritis is that it is a combination of arteriosclerosis//autoimmune//gut-flora composition,  brought upon by high-animal-protein/fats  consumption.

Animal protein when consumed is not 100% digested.  Some of it makes it into your blood stream.

These proteins are considered foreign by our immune system, and thus trigger an auto-immune response.

Because animal protein is nearly identical to our own HUMAN protein,   If a person eats meat all the time, every meal, every day,   There is continuously heightened auto-immune response against our own body.

Our immune system is not equipped to thoroughly distinguish the foreign animal protein from our own.

-- This process is known as molecular mimicry --

Secondary to consumed protein, is the influence of omnivorous gut flora on Proteus mirabilis.

This bacteria contains a protein which closely mimics joint protein. In the same way, friendly fire by our systems damage our joint.s

These are the root causes of arthritis.

Now, You didn't hear about this from the arthritis foundation, because they're sponsored by big meat industries, akin to american heart and american cancer association.

In fact , all of these associations have Meat- recipe recommendations on their websites.

Despite the fact that  Higher-meat consumption is DIRECTLY correlated with significantly higher incidences of heart disease/ cancer/ and arthritis.

At some point, the correlation was not well understood, but TODAY, we actually have a fairly thorough comprehension of cause and effect..

And, INDEED,  high animal foods consumption DIRECTLY CAUSE these disease of affluence.. heart/cancer/diabetes/arthritis.

All of the big Associations are Cover Foundations to Spread misinformation to continue the cycle of Food and Pharmacon profits.

Sigh.......

The solution is to start eating 100% Veggies @ 10% vegetable fats (maximum).

Everything else you will ever try will fail.. and you will eventually be physically crippled..

If that happens BEFORE your retirement age,  you may become destitute and insolvent, mortgage pile up, you have to sell the house, your wife leaves you,  you can't pay your kid's tuition..

You take to drinking at first, but then fall into a bad crowd after having met Janine at a Dive bar. She has a drug habit and you found comfort in each others problems.  Together you spiral down that well trodden path towards sadness and oblivion..

In conclusion..

TO avoid catastrophe,  You must purchase an Ergodox,  AND eat 100% veggies @ 10% fats.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 19:26:22 »
Cherry MX Speed Silvers actuate at 1.2mm vs the normal 4mm, and they're pretty light.

Using o-rings would also help, maybe even using two per switch to really avoid bottoming out but it would give less freedom.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 18:48:33 »
First thing, please don't sue tp4tissue. Second, if landing pads and 1.2mm actuation don't work perhaps topre is worth a try.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 21:21:20 »
First thing, please don't sue tp4tissue. Second, if landing pads and 1.2mm actuation don't work perhaps topre is worth a try.

Sue me for what ? Telling people -The Truth- ?  The Truth that they may or may-not be able to handle ?

Hahahahahaha....

I think I described the most probable scenario to the second half of his life fairly well and completely.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 13:20:37 »
How about putting a few layers of shelf liner under the keyboard?  It might reduce the impact a little, but keep the travel unaffected.

I've got a kinesis advantage, it's got a mode where the key activation triggers a beep from the keyboard, before the key hits the end of it's travel.  It really helped me to learn to avoid bottoming out.   I'm not sure how that might help you though...

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Phenix

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 13:34:57 »
How about putting a few layers of shelf liner under the keyboard?  It might reduce the impact a little, but keep the travel unaffected.

I've got a kinesis advantage, it's got a mode where the key activation triggers a beep from the keyboard, before the key hits the end of it's travel.  It really helped me to learn to avoid bottoming out.   I'm not sure how that might help you though...
just wanted to point out: there is a GB to make the Kinesis advantage QMK compatible atm on reddit - im taking part as well..
search for kinesis stapelberg if its of interest,
 i cant link from my phone
Winter is coming.