Author Topic: IBM Selectric Typewriter - The Grandaddy of the Model M  (Read 10005 times)

Offline itlnstln

IBM Selectric Typewriter - The Grandaddy of the Model M
« on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 13:39:45 »
No "Comic Sans" font. People had TASTE back then.

Other than having fond memories of typing on Selectrics, I have nothing more to add than I HATE Comic Sans.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 13:45:08 »
There's even a font called "I hate comic sans":

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=i+hate+comic+sans

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 13:45:58 »
Quote from: lowpoly;92962
There's even a font called "I hate comic sans":

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=i+hate+comic+sans

I don't like this font, either, but at least someone shares my sentiment.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 14:05:31 »
Everytime I see the Scrabble tombstone, I always focus on the bottom right where it says "POKER (INSIDE) HARD."  Is there something wrong with that?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 14:16:21 »
The hate for comic sans is understandable and warranted, but when people complain about Arial being a ripoff of Helvetica (because they saw the movie) it's just a gateway for further "font snobbery". Most fonts, barring ornamentals, are ripped-off from originals. Look up the origins of any popular font, Futura and Century Gothic for example, and you'll find they're both from a font called Twentieth Century aka. Tw Cen MT. In the end, it all comes down to subtle differences in a font that you need. "I want this font but without serifs" bam - you'll have it without having to edit or modify an existing font

But if you are into reading pretentious douchenozzles complain about fonts, feel free!

Sorry for the minor derail

Offline Manyak

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 14:17:14 »
Quote from: itlnstln;92969
Everytime I see the Scrabble tombstone, I always focus on the bottom right where it says "POKER (INSIDE) HARD."  Is there something wrong with that?

LOL I was just thinking that!
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline chimera15

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 15:09:25 »
There's a pretty cool reddish one for sale on ebay if the color bothers you. lol  You have to wonder who marketing at ibm thought that was for originally. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-IBM-Selectric-II-Typewriter-With-Lots-of-Extras_W0QQitemZ280350278232QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Typewriters_Word_Processors?hash=item41462dc258&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I wonder what the mechanism is and looks like for the electric function of the keypress.  I wonder if you could take it out and modify it to press alps keys or something. lol  Or maybe even rewire it so that the signal that tells the ball to move to a certain letter converts somehow to a normal at signal.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2009, 15:18:20 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 15:17:03 »
Yo, you dudes just cold.

I see nothing wrong with Comic Sans.

And that dude is DEAD, you hear.  He in higher ground. Y'all show some some respect.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2009, 15:20:20 by Stevie Wonder »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 15:18:45 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;92983
Yo, you dudes just cold.

And that dude is DEAD, you hear.  He in higher ground. Y'all show some some respect.

lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 15:19:50 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;92983

Well the prob....oh...

Offline chimera15

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 18:33:41 »
Are you able to take a picture of whatever the key mechanism is?  Do the keycaps come off?
Alps boards:

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 21:07:09 »
For some reason I keep thinking I need to get myself a Selectric Typewriter. I mostly want one because that is what I learned to type on when in JR High.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline wheel83

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 21:53:00 »
Man I want that red one! But I will not get it.  I want it though...
I <3 BS

Offline chimera15

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 May 2009, 22:32:06 »
Quote from: ripster;93050
I take my trusty key puller, pull, Pull, PULL!

Oh,
NO
OOO
OOOOO
OOOOOOOOO........

Show Image

Actually I don't think they come off and it's my dads so I'm not going to dissect this thing.

Some interesting things about the mechanism from the wikipedia entry - this has key buffering and binary transmissions.

I understood maybe a quarter of all that.  Wikipedia needs more pictures.

I think some of these IBM engineers were high when they thought of this stuff.

Wow that's really amazing. It's interesting that it sounds mostly mechanical electrical and there are no chips? It sounds like it might be one of the most complex mechanical devices made before chips and electronics came along and simplified everything. Almost sounds more complex than a car. lol  I bet a hacker could really make some interesting things from one if he really knew how it worked. lol

Is the "electric" part essentially just turning a cam with a motor?  Is that what the hum is?

It also looks a lot cooler without that 60's frumpy styled cover on it. lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2009, 22:48:55 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 00:50:52 »
I've always wanted to bend a hippie chick over a Selectric II, but it would have to be a correctable model since it would most certainly be an error if only in judgment ...

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 01:09:58 »
Man I want that red one!

Yeah the green one just ugly, but the red one isn't she lovely.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 03:13:13 »
Quote from: wheel83;93046
Man I want that red one! But I will not get it.  I want it though...

That seller also sells whoopee cushions. roflol
Alps boards:

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 03:14:56 »
Show Image
Why it didn't cost thousands is beyond me.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 04:09:34 »
at home we had a selectric II correcting model (probably same model as this one, but in brown/beige). I typed up most of my high school papers on it. I really miss it, tho there's no way i could return to typewriters anymore.  But it was an unbeatable typing experience and extremely addicting.

I know what you mean about the typing feel being 'light' on a selectric. But I'd still argue the M is an attempt to 'replicate' it. In this sense: I think what the M's click and feel do is not so much replicate the selectric's KEYS, but rather the selectrics "gestalt" if you will. Cuz the click on the BS switch is kind of an analogue to the "smash" of the wiffleball on paper (a very light version of that smash, but still).

This (link below) is a cool "history" on the immediate ancestors to the original IBM pc; in the pics here you can sort of see the selectric's keyboard sort of transform into the M (sort of). The early IBM word processors' keyboards look a *lot* like the selectric's. Of course no way to know for sure unless someone here has typed on some of these models.
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/pc/pc_1.html
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2009, 04:27:23 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 04:13:49 »
Quote from: o2dazone;92972
The hate for comic sans is understandable and warranted, but when people complain about Arial being a ripoff of Helvetica (because they saw the movie) it's just a gateway for further "font snobbery". Most fonts, barring ornamentals, are ripped-off from originals. Look up the origins of any popular font, Futura and Century Gothic for example, and you'll find they're both from a font called Twentieth Century aka. Tw Cen MT. In the end, it all comes down to subtle differences in a font that you need. "I want this font but without serifs" bam - you'll have it without having to edit or modify an existing font

But if you are into reading pretentious douchenozzles complain about fonts, feel free!

Sorry for the minor derail

I'm with  you, O2. I cant get so worked up about fonts and so I guess i dont 'get' the font bashing ;)  I understand it in an abstract way (having seen the movie, whcih I totally recommend by the way), and while I can see why helvetica was a big deal in its time,  I disagreed with the font elitists in the movie (especially the one german snob they talked to who couldnt bash MS enough, lol). Of course helvetica itself was a rip off of fonts that came before, which didnt seem to matter to any of them.

(That said, I'm in the process of trying to convert my mac's helvetica font into truetype so i can use it on my pc, lol). But *not* cuz i'm a font snob; i just like to have options. ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 05:01:36 »
Quote from: lowpoly;93072
Why it didn't cost thousands is beyond me.

Mass production ftw.

I guess there'll never be as much mechanical engineering expertise around any more as in the mid-20th century. They made some amazing stuff back then, like really cool dial mechanics for receivers. It's not like the knowledge would really have been lost... but it certainly is in the hands of fewer and more specialized people these days.
(Just like today's electrical engineers are usually more comfortable handling ICs than discrete transistors.)
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 07:03:28 »
Quote from: xsphat;93063
I've always wanted to bend a hippie chick over a Selectric II, but it would have to be a correctable model since it would most certainly be an error if only in judgment ...

Classic.

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 16:30:40 »
All this talk makes me want to power mine up and record how a Selectric II should *not* sound like. :D
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 01:50:15 »
Not even gonna touch it (eww!).

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 10:46:19 »
Yeah, the only electrical components in the Selectric are the power switch, the motor, and the power cord. With sufficient speed, one could hand-crank a Selectric and it wouldn't care.

And, the red Selectric mentioned earlier... it's not a color that photographs well. In reality, it's a pretty deep red, and with the black keyboard, looks great. Here's a pic that shows it OKish: http://blogorelli.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/selectric.jpg

My Selectric is a Correcting II, 13", in beige. It's got some issue where it occasionally types incorrect characters... but not in the same row or column as the intended character, which is the normal fault. I've gotta get it looked at.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 12:20:40 »
Hey Rip, thanks for pulling it out and sticking it in with your post!

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 12:27:36 »
Oh, and you can get the Helvetica font from a copy of Windows 3.0... it's called Helv. It's a raster font, so there'll only be a few font sizes that'll work, and ClearType won't work on it.

Anyway, that reminds me of a couple other issues with my Selectric. If it hasn't been run in a while, the motor doesn't want to start, and there is a ticking sound, which usually indicates a bad drive belt.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 15:44:43 »
See, that is the beauty of a manual. You walk up to it and start to write. You can stop anywhere you like and get right back into it. No start up, no warm up, no carriage return on power up and no outlet needed. Another thing I like about them as opposed to anything else I've written on is that you can have total control over how the page looks, moving ahead for tabs is easy enough even on the screenplay I'm currently writing, and when you're done, you have a printed copy to write notes on. I am going to kill the ribbon on my EP43 and then I'm switching exclusively to manual typewriters.

Which is funny because a month ago I couldn't see the day I'd want to bother with using a manual riter.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2009, 15:47:14 by xsphat »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 15:46:52 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;93408
Anyway, that reminds me of a couple other issues with my Selectric. If it hasn't been run in a while, the motor doesn't want to start, and there is a ticking sound, which usually indicates a bad drive belt.

Sounds similar to this.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 15:58:23 »
Ripster, thanks for that, but too bad my sig is the absolute truth.

And Hemingway is one of my favorite authors. Gotta love a guy who got up at 4 a.m. to write because the shakes didn't start til 10 a.m. and then he would quit writing and drink the rest of the day.

BTW, Hemingway is most known for his Royal poratble, but used a lot of typewriters in his career.

Another thing I like is everything you read on Hunter S. Thompson is he only wrote on a red Selectric. That is simply not true. I have a picture of him writing on an Olivetti Letter 22 and a Smith Corona Skyriter (which is a rebranded Hermes Baby) and I have seen documentaries that show him writing on a Wheel Writer and a few different colored Selectrics.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 19:04:42 »
There used to be a blue one in my house, I think it might have been a Selectric III. Unfortunately, my Mam has an obsession with dumping old things, and I was too young to appreciate it at the time. Oh well :p

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 19:34:42 »

my Mam has an obsession with dumping old things, and I was too young to appreciate it at the time.

yea, mom's will do that. they're evil that way.  I cant tell you how many collectible items (from toys to keyboards) our family has lost that way. When i was little, hearing that my mom had "cleaned my room" used to send me into a panic ;)  One of the great luxuries of growing up is that I can be a pack rat at will now.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 22:57:33 »
Quote from: ripster;93627
I was wondering why you keep the carcasses from you mods (your sig).

lol, yea, i'm going to hold on to them until I eventually have the time to try the mods again (with real tools and a real workspace and lots more time ;)
TP2's (with the 'real-simplified' switches) in particular are really hard to come by (since there was only one version of them that had real-simplified; the rest have regular fake alps).

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 20:23:53 »
Okay, I finally dragged that monster up from the basement - two flights of stairs, just for a quick photo shoot (nice and dark and blurry), and a sound recording. It's a black Selectric II (from what I can tell), although the badges are only "IBM" with no Selectric branding on them.

This isn't what you want it to sound like. Ideally it should be more like ripster's. There's a short pause at the beginning, and a longer pause at the end. When you hear the crunchy noise, that's when it's idle. I can't make it do anything other than sit idle, but that might be because I don't have a ribbon. Odd that I can't even do carriage return or space though. It needs some serious TLC.
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 23:09:18 »
It would only be a good idea to refurb it if he's going to use it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 June 2009, 23:10:03 »
or sell it.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 01:10:02 »
The issue is, shipping a Selectric is a PAIN. So, if you live near one of the places on eBay selling flat-rate Selectric service, absolutely go for it. If you don't, then find a typewriter shop near you. I might take my CS2 in, there's one near here, if/when I get a job, even though it's not anywhere near that bad.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 01:30:59 »
You really should try employment. Having money isn't at all a bad thing.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 06:44:04 »
Quote from: xsphat;93841
You really should try employment. Having money isn't at all a bad thing.

Except when you're gainfully employed and still don't have any money. :(

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 08:48:56 »
I can't stand having it in a non-usable condition, but as xs said, it's really only worth it if I plan to use it. I've never found myself using a typewriter much. Back when I needed something, I used the dot matrix printer instead of typing things out. I was fortunate to have a few different computers around as I grew up.

My dad still has a manual typewriter somewhere in the house. I loved the sound of the *clack*clack*clack* as he typed on it. My mom's electric is basically a powered manual typewriter. IIRC it still made that nice *clack*clack* sound because the basic mechanism was the same. It also had a nice hum to it when it was on.

Offline vils

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 12:50:31 »
I played the sound clip for my wife, she went all dewy-eyed.... and when I went out for a walk I found a second hand shop wich sold a IBM selectric. It was a newer model though, 679 I think. One key was missing, the spring hanging out. The price? Around 6 USD, wich I alas did not have.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 13:45:09 »
Check out garage sales. I bought my Royal Mercury manual in great condition and fully working with a ribbon for 25 cents.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 14:04:44 »
Selectrics are still widely in use.  They are they only thing you can really fill out non-electronic forms with, especially carbon-copy forms.  If you have software/templates to fill certain forms out with, you still have to rely on a dot-matrix printer for carbon copies.  My mom still has, and uses quite frequently, a Selectric in her office.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 14:46:07 »
There used to be typing paper which I guess was better on the platen (rubber roller part) but it's not made anymore so everyone just uses regular printer / copier paper.

And don't bother stocking up on ribbons, especially for a Selectric. My local OfficeMax has a decent sized typewriter ribbon selection. Even the old manuals from the 40s and 50s like I prefer use a standard ribbon (for the most part), so it's not hard to find what you need and it won't  be for some time.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:48:04 »
Well, the trick is, the Selectric used a proprietary ribbon design (and more importantly, Selectric 1s and some Selectric IIs were tied to specific ribbon types.)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 00:52:44 »
You can still get them.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 10:23:39 »
Oh, certainly, the point is, stocking up certainly isn't the worst of ideas, and AFAIK they don't go bad.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 06 June 2009, 10:55:45 »
I asked my mom if she still had her Selectric, and she said she thought she did, she didn't remember selling it, but we've been through a couple moves, so it might have been lost.  We spent a little while going through boxes and didn't find the Selectric, but found our old Smith Corona Mark XXV.  I used that typewriter all during my high school days in the late 80's.  It's pretty awesome for a typewriter, it's sort of the last of the typewriters, and was a bastardization of a typewriter and computer.  You use a little lcd panel to type first, you can type whole reports and store it in memory, then type it out with the typewriter automatically.  You can also interface it with a computer and use it as a printer which was a great selling point in the day when only dot matrix printers were common.

I set it up and turned it on, and it still after being in a box for like 20 years worked perfectly and I typed out, "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" a couple times.  Was a pretty bad keyboard unfortunately, pretty squishy keys, but brought back a lot of memories.  Still great like someone posted for filling out forms though. lol
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2009, 11:01:38 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 06 June 2009, 12:25:22 »
Quote from: ripster;94495
(admins, sorry).

They are admins today, but back then they were skirts.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 06 June 2009, 12:29:00 »
That Hermes Rocket came yesterday (sorry, no porn yet) and it is great. It blows my Royal out of the water for key feel, letter impression and function. The keys just snap and it takes a third of the force of the Royal. Since it showed up, I have only had my computer on for maybe an hour, so what does that tell you about how I feel about it?