Author Topic: White M13 $40 Shipped - buttons not working  (Read 1369 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
White M13 $40 Shipped - buttons not working
« on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 19:01:35 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Trackpoint-II-M13-Mechanical-Keyboard-PS-2-K91-/261855843978

Looks like it may need some internals and a new cable ($15) but for that price...

Free local pickup in Hayward CA wherever that is.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: White M13 $40 Shipped - buttons not working
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 00:15:14 »
I made an offer and the seller counter offered and I accepted it.  Good find!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 07:54:46 »
I suspect the hardware is fine and there's just a loose connector somewhere.  If I didn't already have a white M13 I would have picked it up myself.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 10:03:31 »
I suspect the hardware is fine and there's just a loose connector somewhere.  If I didn't already have a white M13 I would have picked it up myself.

Yeah.  I figure the same thing.  I did order a new cable for it.  I have the feeling once I clean up the thing, and replace the cable, it will work just fine.  It's really dirty.  Let's just hope it's just that.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:15:53 »

Yeah.  I figure the same thing.  I did order a new cable for it.  I have the feeling once I clean up the thing, and replace the cable, it will work just fine.  It's really dirty.  Let's just hope it's just that.

Nope.  Buttons do click, but no response.  It's sent to Phosphorglow to be done.  The keys feel flat on it too.  No life left in the springs I guess.  (Maybe that's why some folks don't like the M's!)  It was dreadful to type on.  Nothing like the other keyboards I have.

Edit:I did make it look pretty though!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33130.msg1725698#msg1725698

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:18:54 by Snowdog993 »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:23:29 »
If the trackpoint works and the buttons don't, that does point to a bad connection (I'd find it odd if the trackpoint controller failed for the buttons only).  The button wiring is separate from the trackpoint.

But the flat keypresses sound like a bolt mod candidate if it's all of them.  Only a few I'd have said it was a spring seating issue.

Maybe you can get the barrel plate painted a nice color...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 14:47:53 »
If the trackpoint works and the buttons don't, that does point to a bad connection (I'd find it odd if the trackpoint controller failed for the buttons only).  The button wiring is separate from the trackpoint.

But the flat keypresses sound like a bolt mod candidate if it's all of them.  Only a few I'd have said it was a spring seating issue.

Maybe you can get the barrel plate painted a nice color...

Yes and yes and yes.  The springs are probably shot.  This keyboard was heavily used.  The barrel may get a new underlay or it will be painted.  I like the idea of just a brilliant white underlay on it.  I don't believe he has the underlays in white, however.  It might just get painted for that.  I'm also thinking maybe a lime green underlay for it.