Author Topic: Metal plate for G81-3000 handwire project (work in progress)  (Read 765 times)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Metal plate for G81-3000 handwire project (work in progress)
« on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 12:30:30 »
Started working on a CAD model for a metal plate which I will use for my G81-3000 handwire project.

I'm using OpenSCAD which is a programming first CAD modeling program, really simple and awesome so far. My first endeavor in CAD modeling.

The plate is otherwise a regular-ish 104-ANSI plate, but with a WKL-style bottom row, split Right Shift and split Backspace.

Still need to do measurements and so on, also mounting holes are missing and such.
Current: Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | G81-3000
Coming up: Pearl 40% | G81-3000 MX Silent Black Handwire
IC/GB: GMK Strogg

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Re: Metal plate for G81-3000 handwire project (work in progress)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 15:50:59 »
Some progress. Bought better measuring equipment and tried to read some values from TalkingTree's GH80-3000 PCB project. :)

There are some areas which I'm still a bit worried about, for instance, the LED corner. The case is soft-ish plastic so I can always carve holes here and there but getting things to line up is not that simple.

I'm looking for a local 3D printer where I could print a prototype for this, would rather not order a $100 metal prototype (local prices it seems are quite high) to just find silly mistakes or measuring errors all over the place. The difficult part is to find a printer that supports dimensions up to 45ish centimeters. :D

Though first up I need to use my company printer to print on some A3 paper with lines to cut out, as the first step in prototyping. I think out office printer supports A3 size.

Current: Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | G81-3000

Online TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 16:39:16 »
Some progress.
Looks good. Big thumbs up for the 7u spacebar.

tried to read some values from TalkingTree's GH80-3000 PCB project.
Feel free to ask anytime.

There are some areas which I'm still a bit worried about, for instance, the LED corner. The case is soft-ish plastic so I can always carve holes here and there but getting things to line up is not that simple.
Are you still going fully handwired? Because, in that case, you need something that holds your LEDs. That obviously can't be the plate itself because the LEDs would short. I guess you should be cutting three circles and later on glue some rubber or plastic support for the LEDs.
Otherwise, you just need an opening for the LEDs to go through. Again, circles would do just fine.
Keep in mind that cases have two big prongs in the top right corner to coil the cable around. Make sure your frame keeps clear of them.

I'm looking for a local 3D printer where I could print a prototype for this [...] The difficult part is to find a printer that supports dimensions up to 45ish centimeters.
You can split the plate into pieces with jigsaw joints and then glue them together, but I don't think a 3D printed plate could be any cheaper, unless you opt for a low resolution print which, at this point, won't be much of use. However you might want to ask someone with a better knowledge of 3D printing, Leslieann to name one.

Though first up I need to use my company printer to print on some A3 paper with lines to cut out, as the first step in prototyping. I think out office printer supports A3 size.
Or split the file into two and print it on A4 papers. Leave a couple of columns on both papers so you can easily overlap them.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:13:42 »
Some progress.
Looks good. Big thumbs up for the 7u spacebar.

tried to read some values from TalkingTree's GH80-3000 PCB project.
Feel free to ask anytime.

Are you still going fully handwired? Because, in that case, you need something that holds your LEDs. That obviously can't be the plate itself because the LEDs would short. I guess you should be cutting three circles and later on glue some rubber or plastic support for the LEDs.
Otherwise, you just need an opening for the LEDs to go through. Again, circles would do just fine.
Keep in mind that cases have two big prongs in the top right corner to coil the cable around. Make sure your frame keeps clear of them.

I'm looking for a local 3D printer where I could print a prototype for this [...] The difficult part is to find a printer that supports dimensions up to 45ish centimeters.
You can split the plate into pieces with jigsaw joints and then glue them together, but I don't think a 3D printed plate could be any cheaper, unless you opt for a low resolution print which, at this point, won't be much of use. However you might want to ask someone with a better knowledge of 3D printing, Leslieann to name one.

Or split the file into two and print it on A4 papers. Leave a couple of columns on both papers so you can easily overlap them.

I opened the EasyEDA editor for the GH80-3000 PCB but the measurements seemed a bit funky in places, might need to download and use something like KiCAD for better measurements on it. :)

The three holes in the upper right are mounting holes for LEDs which I plan to glue into place, yes. The upper right has more work to do anyhow as the case has loads of protruding elements in that area which are not required after the plate swap.

One big mystery I need to solve is where to cram a Teensy++ 2.0 which I plan to use for this build. :D

I was planning on doing a low resolution proto 3D print first, just to make sure the plate fits into the case and the switch holes are aligned properly in terms of fitting the top part of the case on them properly.

I will check those 3D printing and A4 printing techniques. Many thanks!

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 13:18:20 »
Would it be possible to somehow just jam this into an g81-3000 together with the pcb? If yes, then this is exactly what i have been searching for.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 06:57:28 »
Would it be possible to somehow just jam this into an g81-3000 together with the pcb? If yes, then this is exactly what i have been searching for.

I have been wondering about the same thing but so far all solutions require custom plate shape and case modding from what I've seen.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 15:16:05 »
Did a 2 x A4 paper print prototype today. From the looks of it, it could be pretty much done apart from a few holes here and there!

The switches line up pretty much perfectly, but the plate itself needs to be a bit higher (currently there are 2mm gaps at the top and bottom after "installation"). Not a big issue if the screwholes line up and hold the plate in place properly.

Also the numpad top edge padding needs to be a bit thicker, there is now a 1-2mm opening between the top case and the plate edge there which might be too much. I will add 1mm to that area to cover the hole better.