Author Topic: [updated - now with sound!] jailhouse switches  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Giorgio

[updated - now with sound!] jailhouse switches
« on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 17:56:31 »
I "jailhoused" with o-rings three white switches. I chose whites because I haven't already yet received the blues...
- do you think that the jailhouse is good only for blues, or also for green and whites? What are the differences? For what I've seen the black part (second picture) is different in the blues/green/whites.
- do you think that this mod is durable, or will it break very soon?

Result of the experiments, I mounted the switches on a plate, then I installed the keycaps whitout o-rings:
  • switch 1 doesn't make nearly any sound when bottomed or released (just a little upstroke sound), there is a little bump when pressing, like a clear switch
  • switch 2 clicks a little bit, no sound when bottoming, more noise in the upstroke compared to 1 and 2, experiment failed
  • switch 3 doesn't make nearly any sound when bottomed or released (upstroke more silent than 1), there is a very little  bump when pressing (less than a brown), it is nearly a linear switch, this is the best one

o-rings red
inside diameter 6.05mm
outside diameter 8.3mm
thickness 1mm

o-rings transparent
inside diameter 5.1
outside diameter 8.2
thickness 1.6mm

gap between fixed and mobile part 1.3mm

white stem - bigger rectangle 7.2mm x 5.6mm
white stem - under the rectangle, where the o-ring goes 5.4mm x 2.9mm, so the ideal o-ring should have a inside diameter smaller than (5.4*2+2.9*2)mm/3.14=16.6mm/3.14=5.28mm (maybe 3mm would be ideal????) and have a thickness smaller 1.7mm when extended

mobile part (black) 6.7mm x 5.4mm

-------------------------------------------------------------
Video

from top row to bottom row, left to right
1st (top row)  clear | clear with o-rings | brown | brown with o-rings
2nd row          grey with o-rings | blue mod3 | nothing | white with mod3
3rd row           black with o-rings | blue mod3 with o-rings | nothing | nothing
4th row           red with o-rings | blue mod1 | nothing | white mod1

https://vid.me/DCjB

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 07:56:12 by gianni »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: jailhouse switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:14:17 »
If I liked Cherry switches, I would be all over the jailhouse mod.

Jailhouse greens and lubed ergo clears would be the 2 types I could really get excited about.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:15:06 »
do they click consistently?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:28:22 »
do they click consistently?

I've just tried to make another switch number 3, and it is identical to the other that I made before.
There could be some problems, since the o-ring is twisted two times around the stem, but to solve this problem you just need to find a thicker o-ring, with a smaller diameter

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:31:25 »
You have sparked my interest sir.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 20:38:32 »
Is this the same method that berserkfan posted about?  It looks nothing like how I imagined it. 

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 04:58:25 »
Is this the same method that berserkfan posted about?  It looks nothing like how I imagined it. 

I don't know that method. There is a limited number of ways in which a rubber bend can be wrapped. Another one could be making a 8 figure around the two pins and the central stem. You need an o-ring that is thick, soft and durable.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 17:01:59 »
Thickness : 1.5mm vs 1.8mm vs 2.5mm
Hardness : Shore 40A (= soft)
Material : Silicone

I could send you a few ones if you wish.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 February 2015, 08:26:27 by Lpwl »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 17:06:38 »
Why is this method easier or better than the wires that most people use?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 18:49:51 »
If I liked Cherry switches, I would be all over the jailhouse mod.

Jailhouse greens and lubed ergo clears would be the 2 types I could really get excited about.

They just end up feeling like higher actuation point Browns.  It's not a bad thing, but the bump is still too small IMO.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 20:05:15 »
They just end up feeling like higher actuation point Browns.  It's not a bad thing, but the bump is still too small IMO.

This just convinced me that the mod isn't for me. Thanks for saving me time Nub.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Magna224

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 22:34:37 »

This just convinced me that the mod isn't for me. Thanks for saving me time Nub.

I know the goal here for me was a more tactile than brown switch.

If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 08:27:32 »

I know the goal here for me was a more tactile than brown switch.

Blue and white switches, with the transparent o-ring like in number 1, have a much bigger tactile bump than brown and sligthly bigger than clear. The switch behaves differently depending on the orientation between the black mobile part and the side where the o-rings are crossed, try them both and you will see that the bump is different (since the angle of the black part and the stem will be different).
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 February 2015, 09:13:51 by gianni »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 08:30:02 »
Why is this method easier or better than the wires that most people use?

I've tried the wires method, and I didn't understand the point of it. Surely the switches were more silent than usual, but with the o-rings, it is really better (upstroke and downstroke).

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 09:38:27 »
Thickness : 1.5mm vs 1.8mm vs 2.5mm
Hardness : Shore 40A (= soft)
Material : Silicone

Show Image

I could send you a few ones if you wish.

Thanks, I pm-ed you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [updated - now with sound!] jailhouse switches
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 09:51:56 »
Great work Gianni. I always like seeing people experiment with modding stuuff :). Do you enjoy the switches? I really didn't like the higher actuation points and smaller travel distance.

There's been some other threads on this topic in addition to Berserkfan's thread. Photoelectric posted this which includes LeslieAnn's original thread for this mod.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 07:52:55 »
Great work Gianni. I always like seeing people experiment with modding stuuff :). Do you enjoy the switches? I really didn't like the higher actuation points and smaller travel distance.

There's been some other threads on this topic in addition to Berserkfan's thread. Photoelectric posted this which includes LeslieAnn's original thread for this mod.

Thanks for linking that thread, I'll try to post there.

Yep, I like them very much, also the high actuation point, since I come from an apple aluminium keyboard. Right now I'm looking for a tkl or 60% keyboard with blue switches and a plate that allows the top of the switches to be removed. Do you think that it exists?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 07:55:47 »
Right now I'm looking for a tkl or 60% keyboard with blue switches and a plate that allows the top of the switches to be removed. Do you think that it exists?

There are no stock boards with cutouts that allow for switch tops to be removed. You'll need to buy a custom if you want that feature built in.

Thanks for linking that thread, I'll try to post there.

Oh my intention wasn't to force you to post in a certain place. Just thought I'd link some more information :). I rather like that your experiments are all contained here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 07:59:09 by CPTBadAss »