Author Topic: Ergodox - Firmware/Teensy Issue  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Cevvin7

Ergodox - Firmware/Teensy Issue
« on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:08:09 »
Quick Background. I have little experience with electronics. You could say I'm fairly computer savvy(Read: Build computers for a living and provide Tier 2 tech support for a University). And I'm very ambitious.. possibly overly so.

So I was perusing Massdrop one day and found this "Build your own Keyboard Kit" called an Ergodox(Honestly I was sold by name alone), I was instantly hooked on the idea and bought one for myself in June of 2014 with the intent of building one with a friend. Said friend forgets to approve his purchase on Paypal and by the time I got mine he had just found out his purchase never went through. Fast forward to February of 2015 and his Ergodox gets delivered. Next day we get started and after 4 hours we get half the Diodes on.

I get Soldering figured out and speed up the process once I'm finishing it myself. Teensy, IO Expanders, USB from the Teensy gave me some issues. However I ended up getting it all together and got all the switches soldered on.

I plug it in and follow the steps to get the firmware updated. And OSX(I'm on a Mac, but I have a windows 8.1 partition running too) pops up with the Keyboard Setup Assistant.(YES!) I restarted the device as per the final step of the Massdrop instructions and try it out.. only there is no output.

I have no idea what is going on. I tried re-flashing with a custom .hex from the Massdrop Configurator and still nothing. I have found a few posts here on Geekhack of similar issues(Albeit from 2013 or so and I'm not resurrecting that frankenstein) but they either don't get resolved in the post, or the resolution doesn't fix it for me.

Is there anything I can do to start troubleshooting this? Like I said, I'm not super informed when it comes to electronics, but I do have a multimeter and can start testing stuff if anyone has any idea where to start.

TL;DR I can't get the board to output anything in OSX or Windows 8.1.

Offline Cevvin7

Re: Ergodox - Firmware/Teensy Issue
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 17:23:35 »
As an update, I did some resoldering and tested the connection. The computer is still recognizing the teensy. It shows up as a HID-Compliant Vendor-Defined Device.

However it is STILL not outputting anything.

Offline smellz

Re: Ergodox - Firmware/Teensy Issue
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:35:33 »
This problem would happen if the diodes were installed in the wrong direction. But you probably already knew that.  :p

You should try plugging it in without the left hand plugged in (leave out the trss cables). This could help isolate the problem.

You've probably heard all the rest of the troubleshooting tips. Just triple check all those solder points.  :D