Author Topic: [IC] GREEN SCREEN SA Keycaps == Your Computer in the 1980s  (Read 128083 times)

Offline BobCarltheThird

Re: [IC] GREEN SCREEN SA Keycaps == Your Computer in the 1980s
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 18:47:28 »
Vote for sculpt here. Please keep in mind that going with 112344 would result in less versatility of Arrows, they would no longer be possible to use in HHKB style or on WASD cluster for example. Also R4 1.75u Control would be added to Specialties to maintain Filco Minila coverage.

https://www.strawpoll.me/15285482/
Voted

Versatility matters a lot to me so the choice is easy, thanks for opening a poll to help end this argument.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #401 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 08:07:32 »
Not a fan of the base color for the mods. Would prefer if it was same color as alphas, but then the set would turn into SA terminal (which I have zero problems with, and would encourage).
Would like to see a different color for the mods nonetheless. Not sure what color, but maybe others can chime in.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Are you seriously encouraging him to copy others' works for your own benefits and convenience?

Are you seriously saying organising a set of keys gives you exclusive rights over keys in anything resembling the same colours?  :rolleyes:

Copying actual designs (e.g. artisan rip-offs) is one thing. Anyone who thinks they have a claim over a particular combination of colours needs to grow up.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #402 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 08:20:55 »
3. Novelties (boring ideas): 5.25 floppy disk, invader, pacman/ghost (unless copyright problems), command line (like SA RetroBlight).

Instead of a Win/Hyper/whatever key:

Also +1 for the 5 1/4" disk

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #403 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 17:22:25 »
2 weeks have passed, the result seems clear enough to me

Offline Norde

« Reply #404 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 04:34:14 »
Beautiful Nordeuk set. I love it.

Offline young_won

« Reply #405 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 00:33:21 »
I want to 1-1-2-3-4-3

Offline M

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 00:39:28 »
I'll definitely be in for the novelties when it eventually comes out, great set.

Offline valniro

« Reply #407 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 14:07:06 »
I love this concept, I do, I really do. And I also understand where the idea of this set comes from. I've been there in front of that monochromatic screen for my entire youth.
Still, I just can't see the modifiers color matching with the alphas and I totally agree with the suggestion of having green modifiers, they would fit a lot better (and honestly, who cares if it is similar to Terminal, it's not like there's copyright on colors combinations).
I would also love a full black version, with the modifiers of the same color of the alphas.
Please consider that, I would be definitely in in that case!
Keep up the good work!

IBM Model M

CM Novatouch
BKE REDUX
Heavy

CM Novatouch

Realforce R2
PFU Limited

GH60 ANSI

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #408 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 06:09:00 »
Set looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see this at the gb stage :thumb:

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #409 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 06:36:52 »
I should have some news on when this is happening soon :)

In the meantime, please check out the novelties engicoder created for the set! Please voice any feedback you have

Offline kyoumau

« Reply #410 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 13:14:12 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

In April of 2017 I first contacted Adam via E-Mail, where he expressed his wish to open-source this project and give anyone free reign to continue working on it. Not much has happened since as he appears to be busy with life, so a few weeks ago I spent some free time on re-working this set into a more modern form as the nature of SA GB's has evolved quite a bit since this project was last updated.

I created an array of kits that would suit a MD buy as OP intended to have, and I see good chances of it ending up there finally. I then sent those to Adam again on Sunday and we had a small exchange again today. He suggested he would take a backseat position and let me lead the pen from now on. He has now given me expressed permission to do that, thank you very much for trusting me with this project!

Show Image

I have made 2 significant changes to the original design:

- I changed the profile to 112343 as opposed to 112344. This is mainly due to the fact that Planck and 40% keyboards would have a R3 bottom row for ergonomic reasons in either case (barely any such keyboards have an angle that a R4 bottom row would compliment). A R3 bottom row makes things easier with expanded compatibility and versatility of the arrows from both the Alphas and the Arrows kit.
- Secondly, I chose to re-use SA Oblivion's ASM legends on Planck/40%/Ergodox as I felt they are very appropriate for this theme, and solve a lot of issues those kits usually have (no duplicate Ergodox kit, no plethora of extra kits to cover various legends on Planck/40% etc).

Please let me know how you feel about these changes, and tell me what else you'd like to see improved upon.

Lastly, I would like to gather ideas for the novelties kit. Currently it's rather bleak, lot's of room to improve here. t0mb3ry has offered to help create vector work for this part, so please let us hear your ideas!

Here is one he had for a return key.

Show Image

Without further ado, the before mentioned array of kits:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you for your time!

That's the best modifiers kit, for my needings, that I've seen in my 5 months old obsession with mechanical keyboards and SA profile.

Offline harlw

« Reply #411 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 11:32:11 »

I approve.

In the meantime, please check out the novelties engicoder created for the set! Please voice any feedback you have

Show Image

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline dsaf

« Reply #412 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 15:10:51 »

Show Image

It looks very good already! Just some minor observations maybe:

1) Some detailing might be too small for injection moulding? E.g. tiny dots on the floppy disk and thin lines and knobs on displays.

2) Might be better to spell "green scr" and "amber scr", otherwise it will look crammed. Also it would be interesting to have these as green / amber on gray - like a signature key.

3) It would be good to have more of floppy disk 1.25 novelties. It would be a challenge to find a place for an R3 1U novelties on a TKL. I would do each bottom R3 novelty in 1.25 as a most common size across all layouts, and keep existing 1u and 1.50u as is.

PS: it would be good to add just one little tiny ISO Enter in Green New Line novelty :).

PPS: what about styling community keys to the theme? E.g. current RMK key was drawn for Carbon SA if I am not mistaken.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #413 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:39:04 »

Show Image

It looks very good already! Just some minor observations maybe:

1) Some detailing might be too small for injection moulding? E.g. tiny dots on the floppy disk and thin lines and knobs on displays.

2) Might be better to spell "green scr" and "amber scr", otherwise it will look crammed. Also it would be interesting to have these as green / amber on gray - like a signature key.

3) It would be good to have more of floppy disk 1.25 novelties. It would be a challenge to find a place for an R3 1U novelties on a TKL. I would do each bottom R3 novelty in 1.25 as a most common size across all layouts, and keep existing 1u and 1.50u as is.

PS: it would be good to add just one little tiny ISO Enter in Green New Line novelty :).

PPS: what about styling community keys to the theme? E.g. current RMK key was drawn for Carbon SA if I am not mistaken.

1) Yup, engicoder reworked a few of them, check out the updated kit below!

2) Agreed, I went for SCRN, dropping just the vowels.

3) IMO the floppy wouldn't fit on the 1.25u as good since it's rather square. I think the current lineup of 2x 1u, 4x1.25u and 2x1.5u novelties is a good balance, as you mentioned 1.25u is the most common bottom row key.

4) Then I'd also need to add a beige ISO key, and they are rather expensive, adding 8$ or so to the kit. I think I'd rather make NEW LINE the default text on the return keys and not have it be a novelty.

5) Good point, I'll look into it.

On with the big news!

We will be launching the set on Massdrop come July, so about 2 weeks roughly.

New renders:

Changelog for kits:
- Dropped Extension kit, just one nice Modifiers kit now. SA Oblivion just came out and people are already running after leftover extension kits. I'd like to do things different and include all essential specialties in the regular mods.
- Updated Novelties kit
- Dropped accent keys from tenkeyless.asm kit, concerned about price as it wasn't really a smash hit in Oblivion (barely got to 75 units), this move should easily save 15$. I'd rather have it affordable, and I think having the keys in the same color suits the purpose best. You can use accent arrow keys and novelty R1 1u keys instead.
- Added Vim kit with permission of potatowire, thanks!

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:43:11 by Oblotzky »

Offline Starius

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:31:47 »
This is beautiful. A love letter to bygone days. 
I'll definitely be in.

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 12:16:41 »
I really like the alphas on this, but not a huge fan of the mods. Any chance of getting GQM or VAT colored mods?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #416 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 12:37:39 »
I really like the alphas on this, but not a huge fan of the mods. Any chance of getting GQM or VAT colored mods?

I'll leave that to TheKeyCompany should they want to pursue Terminal in SA profile.

Offline kyoumau

« Reply #417 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 12:56:29 »

I think the green on Troubled Minds is VAT too, so maybe the TKL kit can match with the green screen alphas.

Offline SingSong

« Reply #418 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:40:56 »
Loving the green alphas, but the mods go better with the amber than the green which makes me a sad panda.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #419 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 16:06:27 »
3) IMO the floppy wouldn't fit on the 1.25u as good since it's rather square. I think the current lineup of 2x 1u, 4x1.25u and 2x1.5u novelties is a good balance, as you mentioned 1.25u is the most common bottom row key.

1.25u novelties that just use the centre part are quite common (Carbon/Nuntucket/1965 etc.) so it would not look too crazy, though I do love when the whole surface is used - understand your perspective as well.

Would you be opposed to having 1u R3 floppy in green on black as well? I was thinking of putting it instead of the S[ave] alpha key, my Carbon has L[ambda] and G[raphene] keys as beige novelties :).

Also have you considered duplicating just the command line 1.25 key to make it possible to achieve symmetry for those people who like it?

Would it be possible to have an Amber NorDeUk stretch-goal kit added after kick-off in the unlikely scenario that the Green NorDeUk hits the target easily?

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 20:21:46 »
Changelog for kits:
- Dropped Extension kit, just one nice Modifiers kit now. SA Oblivion just came out and people are already running after leftover extension kits. I'd like to do things different and include all essential specialties in the regular mods.
- Updated Novelties kit
- Dropped accent keys from tenkeyless.asm kit, concerned about price as it wasn't really a smash hit in Oblivion (barely got to 75 units), this move should easily save 15$. I'd rather have it affordable, and I think having the keys in the same color suits the purpose best. You can use accent arrow keys and novelty R1 1u keys instead.
- Added Vim kit with permission of potatowire, thanks!

Definitely makes sense!
Spacebars kits seem little numerous now.  Maybe combine GTT+GQM, VAT (funny tax!) +YBP?

Offline jmg123

« Reply #421 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 01:22:38 »
How about changing the text on the iso return key to be new line instead of return? Would make it more interedting without having to have a novelty iso return key.

Offline bciamny

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 02:04:47 »
would it be possible to squeeze in two backspace keys in the green and amber colorways? that way you could have a number row of a uniform color. i think that plus a beige |\ key would be a cool look. :)

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 05:38:17 »
I'll buy the **** out of it.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 05:52:57 »
Would it be possible to have an Amber NorDeUk stretch-goal kit added after kick-off in the unlikely scenario that the Green NorDeUk hits the target easily?

I will add Amber Colevrak/Amber NorDeUK if: #1 Green versions reach MOQ quickly and #2 Amber Alphas total sales are in good proportion to Green Alphas. So if it takes Green NorDeUK 2 weeks to reach MOQ or Amber Alphas sales are only 25% of Green Alphas, then it doesn't make sense to add those kits.

Offline Max_P0

« Reply #425 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 07:24:37 »
Yahooooo! I discovered these in time... these look fantastic :)

Offline Data

« Reply #426 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 07:50:42 »

We will be launching the set on Massdrop come July, so about 2 weeks roughly.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 14:11:00 »
New RMK community logo, thanks again to engicoder

Offline Vizir

« Reply #428 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 10:56:32 »
any estimate on when the gb might launch?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #429 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:01:07 »

Early July, few days after XDA Canvas closed.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:19:03 »

I can't wait. I've been lurking on this one since it popped up on here.  :D

« Reply #431 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 12:41:51 »
I already commented on the reddit thread but I figured I'd chime in here. I am so exited for this, I have been hoping this set would come out since I joined this hobby! Also I am so psyched for the Oblivion style ortho mods, and the R3 bottom row! Can't wait for July
MAAASSSSDDDRROOOPPPPPP!!!!!

Online dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #432 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 20:23:38 »

The logos on modifiers (GTT keycaps) are TBN, right?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 23:07:21 by dvorcol »

Online dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #433 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 23:18:02 »
Nice that SA Green Screen will drop while the powder-coated CTRL board drop is still live.  IMHO, the colors go very well together.  :thumb:

if you cannot see it - i.imgur.com/TuaBVLF.png

if you cannot see it - i.imgur.com/Gi1Wo9s.png
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 21:24:37 by dvorcol »

Offline Vizir

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:45:04 »
what happened to all the images?

edit: nvm. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96340.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:48:59 by Vizir »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #435 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:49:28 »
what happened to all the images?

Imgur blocked Geekhack from Hotlinking images.

Render album here, with 2 more renders for HHKB and 40s/Planck added: https://imgur.com/a/rIrKoM1

Kit album: https://imgur.com/a/bVFPGsB

GB goes live on July 5th on Massdrop.com!
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:51:08 by Oblotzky »

Offline LastBrat

« Reply #436 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 06:14:35 »
Ah.. shoot :mad: I was so looking forward to this set, but now the ortho keycap legendss are replaced with something else, it seems I'll have to pass. Too bad.

« Reply #437 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 11:30:26 »
Ah.. shoot :mad: I was so looking forward to this set, but now the ortho keycap legendss are replaced with something else, it seems I'll have to pass. Too bad.

Why? What's wrong with the assembly legends? I think they are very on theme, plus there are many people who do not use default layouts on their ortho boards anyway so it sort of makes sense. In addition, the change from R4 bottom row to R3 bottom row for ortho trumps any legend difference in my opinion. I feel my keycaps much more than I look at them.
MAAASSSSDDDRROOOPPPPPP!!!!!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 12:02:25 »
When will this go live on MD? Thank you guys.

Offline LastBrat

« Reply #440 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:11:30 »
... I feel my keycaps much more than I look at them.
I'm sure most of the users here will agree with you. That's not true for me, though. That's why I'd rather have the legends say what the key does, not something random, which is fine for a few novelty caps.

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #441 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:20:09 »
Surprised to see this nice set revived. Not too sure about the green color but amber set looks great. SP doesn't have a green that matches phosphor green so I guess VAT is the closest to get the intensity right.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #442 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:25:04 »
Surprised to see this nice set revived. Not too sure about the green color but amber set looks great. SP doesn't have a green that matches phosphor green so I guess VAT is the closest to get the intensity right.

Looking at my VAT color chip in hand makes me confident that it'll look splendid nonetheless!

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #443 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:49:59 »
Looking at my VAT color chip in hand makes me confident that it'll look splendid nonetheless!

It looks like it matches the rest of the set very well. SP or GMK don't really have "phosphor green" as a stock color, so both this and GMK Terminal get as close as possible, which is reasonable. The amber color here looks dead-on, though. I was really hoping to save more money this year but I guess there is always next year for that.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #444 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 02:17:30 »

Hi, only a few days is left on the Green Screen group buy but nobody from staff is attending the comments section. Would it be possible to clarify whether NorDeUk kit and some other under-performing kits will get funded by Massdrop to reach MOQ or not? Otherwise it's hard to decide whether to pull out on Sunday or not...

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #445 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 02:18:50 »

Hi, only a few days is left on the Green Screen group buy but nobody from staff is attending the comments section. Would it be possible to clarify whether NorDeUk kit and some other under-performing kits will get funded by Massdrop to reach MOQ or not? Otherwise it's hard to decide whether to pull out on Sunday or not...

I will look into that today

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 03:31:35 »
Don't pull out because of kits not reaching MOQ. In my experience, you will be offered to cancel your entire order if Massdrop decides not to order a kit. Pulling out prematurely is counter-productive really.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #447 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 05:30:51 »
I will look into that today

Thank you - much appreciated regardless of outcome!

Don't pull out because of kits not reaching MOQ. In my experience, you will be offered to cancel your entire order if Massdrop decides not to order a kit. Pulling out prematurely is counter-productive really.

Thanks, still it would be good to have this confirmed. I know the best thing is to always jump in early and leave late (if necessary). However it would suck waiting a year just to sell it on mechmarket (though at a profit).

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #448 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 10:35:33 »
Hi all,

This group buy / drop has a dedicated discussion thread in the Group Buys and Preorders section: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96469.0

Please proceed to that thread to discuss the drop, as this section is only for Interest Checks on items that are not yet available for sale.  This thread is now being locked.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -