Author Topic: 3D Printed Split 60% ISO  (Read 10233 times)

Offline Coumbaya

3D Printed Split 60% ISO
« on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 11:09:52 »
Hello !
For some years I've been lukring GeekHack, buying keyboards and keycaps, dreaming of designing & making my own.
It's now a dream come true with this split 60% ISO :)

I wanted another Pure Pro ISO for my workplace, but they were sold out, so I thought "f- that, I'm making one!"

I started by copying 90% of the layout of the pure pro on the online layout editor, copy-pasted it onto the Plate builder by swillkb, wich gave me a basic sketch of the plate to work on in SolidWorks. The layout can look somewhat ugly because it's asymmetric and I think 60% with arrows aren't quite popular, but it's functional.

I printed a prototype, corrected some stuff, bought a teensy 3.2, cried trying to compile kiibohd (sorry), bought a teensy++ instead and some Mx Clear and printed the final version.
I was afraid 3D printing the whole thing would turn out ugly and/or the plate would bend, but it's rather strudy and it doesn't look *too* plastic-y...
The next one I will do will be aluminum & wood tho.

At one point I got struck because I didn't know what to use to make the connection between both matrixes, I needed 5 wires for the rows and 8 for the collumns. Some friend suggested HDMI and that turned out to be exactly what I needed.

I almost started developing my own basic firmware for it (I'm a C embedded dev by trade), but I discovered QMK Firmware Builder and was amazed by how powerful it was and there is no point in re-inventing the wheel so...

All things considered, I could do this keyboard only because of all the great tools & tutorials you guys made all over the web, so thanks (esp. to Matt3o, Ruiqui Mao, Ian Prest, swill...) !

The 3d model, both .STL and solidworks files, are here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2402102

Now I need to 3D print some size 2 DSA spacebars...
Edit: I forgot to mention, I added neodymium magnets along the split, I'ts not really necessary but when "locked" I can move the whole keyboard by grabbing just one half.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 June 2017, 14:31:43 by Coumbaya »
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline sakai4eva

Re: 3D Printed Split 60% ISO
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 14:09:13 »
Impressive. What thickness did you use for the gap between the left side and the right side?

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 14:25:57 »
Impressive. What thickness did you use for the gap between the left side and the right side?
Thanks!
The gap is 0.5mm wide. I printed some really small squares and [ shaped pieces with different gaps to try. 1mm is too wide, 0.2 is too thick, 0.5 is jist perfect (for my printer anyway).
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 21:08:39 »
Abbolutely stunning! Great work. From another big fan of the pure version of the 60%s

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 13:08:38 »
Abbolutely stunning! Great work. From another big fan of the pure version of the 60%s

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
:D thanks ! I just love this layout, 60% with arrows keys are awesome.

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 13:50:41 »
:D thanks ! I just love this layout, 60% with arrows keys are awesome.

absolutely. yeah, i'm one that has to have the arrows as well. now, trying to use anything else just doesn't cut it. i picked up one of those magicforce 68 ones for kicks & giggles and even the arrows on that are too far away from the rest of the keys.

i have a plan for an old apple board, but having trouble finding a m0110 at a decent price. (really just need the shell & a couple caps though)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline decker

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 01:17:05 »
Looks really nice and its a treat for me as I also use Azerty (mon cher compatriote).
I bought a Whitefox and had azerty keys made from WASD.

I was wondering what layout are you using for the non alphanumeric keys ?
I suppose the labels are not the actual function for about half of them
(undo=bacsp, redo and save=shift, copy=fn, close=alt gr) ?

Things I notice :
- faint blue dye is a nice touch for Alt-Gr layer.
- nice move changing the step to 1/4 left for your 4th row.

I'd miss the easy access for the page up and down I have in a 65%.
Kepp it up !

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 05:14:30 »
Looks really nice and its a treat for me as I also use Azerty (mon cher compatriote).
I bought a Whitefox and had azerty keys made from WASD.

I was wondering what layout are you using for the non alphanumeric keys ?
I suppose the labels are not the actual function for about half of them
(undo=bacsp, redo and save=shift, copy=fn, close=alt gr) ?

Things I notice :
- faint blue dye is a nice touch for Alt-Gr layer.
- nice move changing the step to 1/4 left for your 4th row.

I'd miss the easy access for the page up and down I have in a 65%.
Kepp it up !

Cool d'avoir un retour francophone  ;)
Redo/save = Shift
Copy = Ctrl
Close = AltGr
Undo = Backspace
The left menu key is the function key for Layer 2.
I really need some 1x DSA modifier keys ;( ...
I've put PgUp/PgDown on the second layer because I use them less than the arrows keys, but I see what you mean, the layout of the whitefox is quite good for that but takes one more collumn.

Also I ended up creating an hollow "insert" ~7cm wide between the two sides (with magnets in it) because the keyboard is so light I kept moving one side relative to the other. It's much better now, but it's less aesthetic :-X.
Without the insert, the magnets are strong enough to move both sides of the keyboard while holding just one side.

Offline mcuadros

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 15:26:24 »
I found it at Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2402102) is amazing! Looks my dreamed keyboard too, the problem I see is the "board". I am willing to build one, but I don't want to deal with this crazy cable setup.

What about building a custom board? :p

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 09:02:58 »
I found it at Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2402102) is amazing! Looks my dreamed keyboard too, the problem I see is the "board". I am willing to build one, but I don't want to deal with this crazy cable setup.

What about building a custom board? :p
I'm afraid I know nothing about PCBs...
It's really just a classical matrix layout really  ;D , the only thingto do different is that you have to add 1 cable connecting each left/right row. The columns use the same number of cables.

Offline hariseldon

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 20:57:49 »
Whoa this is mad close to my endgame board. I'm going to make this asap ..... what's up with that handwiring? Would it be simpler to use the Amoeba? 

https://oshpark.com/profiles/mtl

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 04:47:19 »
Whoa this is mad close to my endgame board. I'm going to make this asap ..... what's up with that handwiring? Would it be simpler to use the Amoeba? 

https://oshpark.com/profiles/mtl

I'm not sure it would be easier, you would need 69 of those, and the same amount of soldering. In my (inexperienced) opinion, the hand-wiring is quite okay, I didn't experience any troubles il almost a year of use. But I'll be sure to use better wires (magnet wires I guess) next time. This time I could not wait so I salvaged some wires from a dead PC, the result is quite messy.