Author Topic: Can someone explain Alps to me?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline portbaron

Can someone explain Alps to me?
« on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 23:46:11 »
In the context of the current switch environment, which has improved designs like BOXes and Zealios etc., what do Alps switches bring to the table? I've tried almost every switch out there of the MX or Topre varieties, and the chemistry analyzers at work have Model M's, so what am I missing out on? There seems to be a bit of a cult following for Alps.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Can someone explain Alps to me?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 23:54:19 »
Paging Captain Badass.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 00:30:56 »
There is really nothing in the MX world like either clicky or tactile Alps.  Generally speaking they are much more tactile, but without being super heavy like Box navies or unbalanced (big bump but light spring that makes you bottom out hard) like Box Jade or Royals.

I wish there was something in the MX world that couple compare but there just isn't...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 02:37:05 »
It's almost impossible to explain in words what makes Alps so special, but once you try them for yourself you'll probably get it. The best I can come up with is that they feel really nicely BALANCED... Also the sound is absolutely amazing.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline portbaron

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 03:47:01 »
So what is the way to get alps boards? They haven't been made in a while. A lot of the ones on ebay are like for old macs that probably wouldn't even work on a new PC? People seem to like orange and salmon alps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 03:51:09 by portbaron »
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline sexzual

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 05:23:37 »
you can build or buy a converter to use the old mac keyboards with current interfaces.  there are quite a few pc keyboards that use alps switches as well.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 08:09:25 »
I think that Alps tend to activate high up, or at least it seems that way, which is excellent for touch typists who don't need to bottom out.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 08:36:14 »
I like the salmon, orange and cream (dampened tactile). The cream feel like some better rubber domes, but that's it.
The others feel weird with too much resistance at the top.

They bind on off-centre key presses too much for my liking. Many Alps keyboards have stabilisers on 1.75u wide keys. Even 1.25u wide keys with Alps switches need stabilisers IMHO. Meanwhile, Cherry MX has stabilisers first on 2u wide keys.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 19:20:16 »
In the context of the current switch environment, which has improved designs like BOXes and Zealios etc., what do Alps switches bring to the table? I've tried almost every switch out there of the MX or Topre varieties, and the chemistry analyzers at work have Model M's, so what am I missing out on? There seems to be a bit of a cult following for Alps.

This is a great question that deserves to be addressed from multiple perspectives. It's a pretty complex topic because ALPS switches run the gamut from linear to tactile to full on clicky.  So depending on your preferences, you could find some ALPS that you hate and some you love. I've experienced a few variations and have been impressed. I have a couple of modern ALPS boards from Matias - one with their clicky switch and one with their quiet/tactile switch ("quiet clicks"). They are both enjoyable. Also some older KBs like the Ortek MCK-142 Pro and the CVT Avant Stellar. They are based on simplified ALPS, which ALPS aficionados usually say are good but not as good as the earlier, complicated ALPS like blue ALPS.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 19:31:54 »
I've only tried alps a handful of times. Blue alps definitely blew me away though. I just found them really enjoyable to type on (and listen to!). They definitely feel different than Cherry MX, and I doubt a switch based on the same principle as MX could properly mimic the feel of Alps, in the same way that it can't really mimic a buckling spring.

Like with all switches though, it really comes down to preference. Lots of people like Topre too, which I'm not as big a fan of. You may try some alps and find you love them, or you may try them out and find that you're rather ambivalent. This hobby has a lot of personal preference in it -- caps and cases have a huge aesthetic component, switch types undoubtedly feel different but there's no switch that's the uncontested best, even different layouts are better for different applications and workflows. At the end of the day, you're going to get a lot of different answers here about why people like alps, or don't like alps. But none of that can tell you for sure whether you'll like alps or not, or if you'll like some varieties and not others.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 08:01:20 »
They bind on off-centre key presses too much for my liking. Many Alps keyboards have stabilisers on 1.75u wide keys. Even 1.25u wide keys with Alps switches need stabilisers IMHO. Meanwhile, Cherry MX has stabilisers first on 2u wide keys.

clean alps should not bind on unstabilized keys up to 2.75u, that's my personal test for alps condition. dirty and worn out alps are awful.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 11:31:20 »

clean alps should not bind on unstabilized keys up to 2.75u, that's my personal test for alps condition. dirty and worn out alps are awful.
Agreed. If you find your Alps bind, they aren't in great condition.
Check my keyboard video reviews: