Author Topic: KeyKata caps progress  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Phosphero

• KeyKata
KeyKata caps progress
« on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 18:13:45 »
Hi folks! I've been lurking here for a bit, mostly talking to people on the mech keys discord as Lucien#8878.

I recently decided to try my hand at making sculpted keycaps, and figured this was as good a time as any to show people the progress that I've made.

Chronology is roughly left to right, top to bottom

200985-0

Columns 1 & 2 were the first sculpts I made, on top of normal keycaps.
3a is the first cast I tried to make of a weird rodent thing
3b is the successful version
4a & 4b were my first try at making a double shot. Up to this point, I hadn't managed to make a successful cast of the teeth
5a was my attempt at making a sort of mimic. After casting 5b and 6a, I realized that the detail I made on it simply didn't translate well to resin. The mold captures it perfectly, but it just doesn't look as good as in clay.
6b was my first blank - tried as a double shot.
7a and 7b are my latest sculpt, which I made at 1 in the morning after watching a cute baby octopus gif on reddit. They were made on TheGlyph's L2K centering platform, which I'm pretty happy with for the price ($8).
8a and 8b are my first try at topre blanks. They fit perfectly, even a little bit tighter than the original, so I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out
9a, 9b, and 10a were made today, my first try at marbling using a light purple and fluorescent green. I don't have a blacklight to see how they glow, but that should be fixed soon.

I'm happy enough with the octopus that I think I'll work on making some good colorways for it and do my first small sale with it.
200987-1

I've been posting pictures of my progress pretty frequently on my instagram and the casting channel on discord.

Forum posts by people such as Binge, Nightcaps, and Booper have been pretty instrumental in me getting as far as I have, so I'd like to sincerely thank them for making such useful information available to everyone.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 July 2018, 18:30:16 by Phosphero »