Author Topic: Realforce R2 PFU Limited Edition  (Read 24038 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Realforce R2 PFU Limited Edition
« on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:42:40 »
The Realforce TKL R2 PFU Limited Edition black-on-black US ANSI layout keyboard with 45g Topre switches has all the bells and whistles, including actuation point control (APC), NKRO, silencing, and a host of functions accessed by Fn key combinations.

At first, I was perplexed, because the package-insert manual consisted of a single sheet of paper with all of the instructions in Japanese only. This left me with almost no idea of how to access the various functions.

However, I soon found that the RF website has a product support page with download links for a catalog/spec sheet in English, driver software (Windows only), and a PDF of the software manual in English.

Here are my initial impressions, Pro and Con:

PRO:

+ Compact form factor.
+ Attractive stealthy look.
+ Very quiet, but retaining the clip-clop on clay "thock" sound that is a hallmark of Topre switches.
+ Subtle Topre tactility. Excellent typing feel.

CON:

- Not completely programmable. Every modern keyboard ought to be completely programmable using non-proprietary software such as TMK or QMK.
- Attached cable. I prefer a detachable cable.
- Hardwired Fn key. I prefer no function key or one that can be remapped.
- Functions that I find useless or that I would prefer to assign myself.
- Case apparently snaps together rather than being held together with screws, although there appears to be a hidden screw underneath the label on the bottom of the case. I prefer a straightforward way of opening a keyboard case without worrying about damaging snap tabs or having to remove a seal that violates the warranty.
- The black-on-black legends might look sophisticated, but the printing is essentially invisible in low-light conditions. I would prefer blank keycaps or keycaps with visible legends, at least for the alphanumeric keys.
- Despite the excellent silencing, there is still some stabilizer rattle on the larger stabilized keys, such as Backspace, Enter/Return, Left and Right Shift, and the Spacebar. It also appears that the stabilizers cannot be lubricated without dismantling the keyboard.     

INDIFFERENT:

~ APC. I suppose this will appeal to some, but I would be okay with the default middle setting. However, as long as this feature exists, it is good that it can be accessed easily via Fn + Up-arrow.

~ Embedded NumPad. Somewhat good to know it is there, but I doubt that I would ever use it. Moreover, some of the embedded NumPad keys interfere with my HHKB-style of remapping.

~ Silencing mats. The box also contains two rubber mats in different thicknesses that can be installed on the plate by first removing the keycaps. This will provide even more silencing at the expense of some key travel. The keyboard is already one of the quietest I have used. I doubt I would have any use for the rubber mats.

OTHER:

When slowly pressing keys to test weight and tactility, the 45g switches initially felt too light and lacking in tactility. However, when actually typing, the weight and tactility feel just right. At first, I thought I would regret not opting for an all-55g model, but now that I am typing on it, I think 45g is the best choice. The variable-weight model would not work for me, as the 30g switches would be too light.

As soon as I can determine how to open the case without breaking it, I would like to install a panel-mount USB connector for a detachable cable and investigate the possibility of installing an internal Hasu USB-USB converter to make the keyboard completely programmable (except probably the hardwired Fn key).

However, the first change I have made is to replace the alphanumeric keycaps with caps that have visible legends. To me, black-on-black is not useful. The keys ought to be either blank or equipped with visible legends. However, I do like dark keyboard cases and dark modifier keys, which is why I bought the black version. I already had a set of Topre caps with visible legends ready to install (see picture).

211021-0

OVERALL:

The RF TKL R2 special PFU edition is solidly built, and the silenced all-45g Topre switches provide an excellent typing experience. Although I could install silencing rings myself, considering the cost of the rings and the time and effort spent in dismantling the keyboard in order to install them, the built-in silencing on the PFU special edition model is worth the extra $100 or so.

After setting up the RF R2 PFU TKL board with an external Hasu USB-USB converter and installing blue alphanumeric keycaps with visible legends, white HHKB keycaps to demarcate the cursor diamond, and some red keycaps on the top row, the keyboard is gaining favor in my eyes (see picture).

Before buying the RF, I had been typing on a Leading Edge DC-2014 with SKCM blue Alps switches. Now, after typing on the RF, the DC-2014 seems crude by comparison. I also have a Tokyo60 with Zilent switches that I had once said were Topre-like. The Zilents are perhaps even quieter than the silenced Topre switches in the RF, but the RF is definitely more elegant and refined. There is also something sure-footed about typing on the RF. I feel less prone to making typos than I do on Alps, Cherry, or Cherry clone boards, and the Topre switches in the RF are not subject to the twitchiness I have often encountered with Alps, such as missed keypresses or chattering.

Overall, I give the Realforce a solid 4 out of 5 stars. It would be 5 stars if it had a detachable cable, complete programmability, 60% form factor, and a wider selection of keycap styles, perhaps as boxed sets that could be purchased separately and installed by the customer.

Regarding the 60% form factor, I would urge Realforce and PFU to collaborate on a new version of the HHKB. This would be a 60% fully programmable model built like the RF, with Topre switches mounted in a steel plate instead of case-mounted switches as found in the HHKB. Moreover, they should consider reducing the size of all of the stabilized keys -- including the spacebar -- in order to eliminate the need for stabilizers, thus banishing all traces of stabilizer rattle once and for all.

Offline zslane

Re: Realforce R2 PFU Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 11:50:00 »
Yeah, it would be great if Topre released a 60% board, but they seem uninterested in that market segment. Oh well.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 12:57:10 »
Yeah, it would be great if Topre released a 60% board, but they seem uninterested in that market segment. Oh well.

Have you not heard of an hhkb?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:01:28 »

What is that?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:05:44 »

What is that?

Ahh I see what is going on here...

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 13:30:50 »
i don't like the new rectangular look for the R2.  did they finally scrap that god awful keypuller?
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 09:18:05 »
i don't like the new rectangular look for the R2.  did they finally scrap that god awful keypuller?
My understanding is that Realforce was responding to complaints about the retro look of their former design with the rounded corners and wide bezel on top, so they came out with sharp corners and a relatively thin bezel on all four sides. Oddly enough, the width of the R2 TKL is actually slightly larger (14.50") than it was in the previous model (14.41").

Yes, it appears that they might have scrapped the metal tongs that served more as an engraving tool than a keycap puller. My new RF shipped with a wire-type keycap puller.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 13:17:22 »

The keypullers Topres come with are actually really nice for removing MX style switches from hot-swap boards.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 13:48:24 »

The keypullers Topres come with are actually really nice for removing MX style switches from hot-swap boards.
Nice tip! Thanks.

Offline quad_h

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 10:28:02 »
Gooood !

Thanks

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 18:08:03 »

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 12:56:36 »
My understanding is that Realforce was responding to complaints about the retro look of their former design with the rounded corners and wide bezel on top, so they came out with sharp corners and a relatively thin bezel on all four sides. Oddly enough, the width of the R2 TKL is actually slightly larger (14.50") than it was in the previous model (14.41").

Yes, it appears that they might have scrapped the metal tongs that served more as an engraving tool than a keycap puller. My new RF shipped with a wire-type keycap puller.

Yeah, I think when I first got a RF, I didn't like the extended top Bezel...but you get used to it and now I quite like it...and I've always liked the rounded corners, I think it looks very nice that way.

The R2 is pretty boring look wise..it looks like every other keyboard which I suppose isn't a bad thing either...but I it looks older than the rounded corners which I think was a bit different...

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 06:51:30 »
Nice review, thanks for putting this together.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 09:54:08 »
Thanks! Glad to know that you appreciated the review.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:14:22 »

Yes, totally. I have a R2 55g silent keyboard on the way to me, and I can't wait, so this review was good timing for me.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 08:40:06 »

Yes, totally. I have a R2 55g silent keyboard on the way to me, and I can't wait, so this review was good timing for me.
Are you sure that the R2 55g model is silenced? I thought that this model did not have silenced switches. Please let us know when you receive it. Thanks.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 14:14:41 »

Are you sure that the R2 55g model is silenced? I thought that this model did not have silenced switches. Please let us know when you receive it. Thanks.

They do have one - Leopold I believe, but it doesn't have APC.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:18:57 »

They do have one - Leopold I believe, but it doesn't have APC.
Ah, yes, they are also selling Leopold versions of the R2. I am not as familiar with those. I hope that you are correct that they do indeed have a 55g model with silenced Topre switches.

To me, the silencing is much more important than the APC feature. Although mine has APC, I did not find this useful. I left it on the default setting, and I would not miss it at all if it were not included.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 06:56:27 »

I will let you know, should be in the next day or so.    :D

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:50:58 »

Well I got it today, and it's pretty sweet. I've always wanted to try 55g silenced, as 55g is my fav Topre switch weight and I need silenced for work. I have a 45g tenth anniversary model that's silenced, but I've always wondered what 55g silenced would be like. I'll take my new KB to work on Monday and really give it a workout and test.  Below are a few quick pics.

213999-0

214001-1

214003-2

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 08:29:50 »
@losing_ctrl,

Thanks for the news and pics of your new R2 55g!

I have an R1 55g and a HHKB that I modded with 55g domes. I enjoy the extra tactility, but after trying both 55g and 45g for several weeks, I've decided that I prefer 45g Topre most of the time. However, I keep both 45g and 55g Topre-switch boards in my rotations at home and work to provide a refreshing change of pace.

Offline mrpokemone

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 22:25:35 »
@losing_ctrl,

I have an R1 55g and a HHKB that I modded with 55g domes. I enjoy the extra tactility, but after trying both 55g and 45g for several weeks, I've decided that I prefer 45g Topre most of the time. However, I keep both 45g and 55g Topre-switch boards in my rotations at home and work to provide a refreshing change of pace.

Hey Hypersphere,

Have you noticed any mold marks on the larger stabilized keys? At certain angles I notice that there is a "O" mark in the middle of my right backspace, enter, and shift keys. I presume that they have something to do with the molding.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2019, 22:41:12 by mrpokemone »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 12:27:04 »
@losing_ctrl,

Hey Hypersphere,

Have you noticed any mold marks on the larger stabilized keys? At certain angles I notice that there is a "O" mark in the middle of my right backspace, enter, and shift keys. I presume that they have something to do with the molding.
No, I do not see any extraneous markings on any of the keycaps on my R2. At the moment, I am using my R2 PFU Edition. When I rotate to my R2 Leopold I will check it out as well.

My R2 is the black version, and I have kept the black modifiers. Are you using the white version? Perhaps the lighter modifiers would allow the stem post to show through the top of the cap. Or are you talking about the back rather than the top of the cap? It is not unusual to see sprue marks on the back of keycaps; however, I do not see any sprue marks on any of the caps on my R2 PFU Edition.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 13:28:05 »

capscratcher 9000

Offline mrpokemone

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 10:07:11 »
Mine is the Black PFU R2 as well -- and yeah I mean the top of the caps. I have ordered a replacement and will see if there any differences.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 12:55:31 »
Mine is the Black PFU R2 as well -- and yeah I mean the top of the caps. I have ordered a replacement and will see if there any differences.
If you are simply exhanging the black RF R2 PFU for the ivory one of the same model, there shouldn't be any significant functional differences.

Offline rf86u

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 June 2023, 20:25:45 »
- Hardwired Fn key. I prefer no function key or one that can be remapped.

Just checking if the R2 or R3 Mac version fn key is hardwired?