geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Mechanical version of Microsoft 4000/Ergonomic

(1/2) > >>

zptc:
I've used the Microsoft 4000 and its successor the Ergonomic (and the 4000's predecessor as well way back in the day) for over 12 years without issue. I've tried the Redox and the Kinesis split board, both of which resulted in wrist discomfort. I'm currently trying a Dygma Raise, which I suspect is going to end up abandoned as well. I have no idea what the issue is. It seems the MS board's combination of split angle, tent angle, negative tilt (I always use the add-on riser) and key position is just right for me.

How realistic would it be for me to commission someone to make a (probably 3D printed) keyboard which duplicates the MS layout?

Findecanor:
First, check out the Cloud Nine C989M. It is the closest I've seen to MS's "Natural" keyboard series.
Not much tent angle, and no negative tilt though.

Velocifire was supposed to come out with a keyboard with negative tilt, but I've yet to see it.

zptc:
I've seen the Cloud Nine. Aside from the fact that I'd be stuck with stock Cherries, I'm not really inclined to spend another couple hundred on a potential ergonomic paperweight. I'd rather spend that on a proper 4000 copy, assuming that's even possible.

Also, it'd be nice to have more than one left thumb key, which the Cloud Nine lacks.

Findecanor:
BTW, do you think you could adjust to liking the Dygma Raise if it was tented? (I'm interested in what people think of that particular keyboard in general)
Dygma has a tenting kit for preorder but it does not look like it would support negative tilt.

zptc:
I am tenting it with some laptop riser things off Amazon. I'm negative tilting it with an adjustable keyboard tray from Monoprice. I have lubed Tealios and lubed Durock switches. I think if the keyboard fits you it would be a solid choice. I have no idea why it's bothering me; I suspect it may be the key layout somehow. If you're interested I'd say it's worth looking into.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version