Author Topic: Feed configuration and GMK questions  (Read 1380 times)

Offline GreenTeaPerry

Feed configuration and GMK questions
« on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 23:50:26 »
Hi, I got a small question (which I am a genuine dumb dumb for not figuring out) and a big question that I don't quite know where to post so I'm just gonna put it here. If anyone knows where I can post my big question, please help.

Small question: How do I arrange my subject feed from newest to oldest? (e.x the lastest subject comes first). I tried every option but it is always not what I am looking for.

(A bit background for the next question, SKIPPABLE) --- When I started building my first MK, I heard stories of people re-selling their MK with a specific set of keycaps for x2, x3 or even x4 the original GB price. Naturally, I am very much confused and intrigued at the same time. I did my own research for a while but need some real opinion on how people in the MK community put values on a set of keycaps.

Big question: Why are some (GMK) keycaps are much more expensive on the market than others? I am fully aware that factors like production time, material, shipping cost and so on but here I want to focus on the (GMK) keycaps themselves. Is it about the design or the (GMK's) keycaps creator that makes them stand out? Does rarity plays a huge part on its own or does it has to go in combination with the keycaps creator? What are some examples of a highly-priced set of keycaps? Who are some of the popular/highly regarded/reputable keycaps creators/artists/brands that you (personally) pay attention to? 

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate a community like this and Chúc một ngày tốt lành.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Feed configuration and GMK questions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 01:39:24 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

Are you looking for "show most recent posts at the top" in your profile?  If not you'll have to be clearer which page you're trying to re-order.

GMK keycaps can be made using standard colours and this is much cheaper than asking them to make a custom colour and sending samples until you're happy with it, also only using two colours is cheaper than using more.  You can also use standard legends (the text or icons on the keys) or again, pay more to make custom ones.  Most sets have some custom caps, sometimes they're in a separate kit so the base is cheaper but sometimes they are in the base.

As keycaps are made to order and you need to buy hundreds of sets to get a reasonable price there are people who really love an old set and pay lots for it, same goes for keyboards.  Don't be one of these people - there are so many sets of keycaps and boards being made today there is no need to.  That said, group buys are not safe (guidance thread) and with ever increasing timeframes you might want to look at extras from recently completed GBs from a vendor which are more expensive than group buy but less than 2x.

Personal related opinion - avoid anything by MiTo, there's a good reason that he's banned.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline GreenTeaPerry

Re: Feed configuration and GMK questions
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 20:28:10 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

Are you looking for "show most recent posts at the top" in your profile?  If not you'll have to be clearer which page you're trying to re-order.

GMK keycaps can be made using standard colours and this is much cheaper than asking them to make a custom colour and sending samples until you're happy with it, also only using two colours is cheaper than using more.  You can also use standard legends (the text or icons on the keys) or again, pay more to make custom ones.  Most sets have some custom caps, sometimes they're in a separate kit so the base is cheaper but sometimes they are in the base.

As keycaps are made to order and you need to buy hundreds of sets to get a reasonable price there are people who really love an old set and pay lots for it, same goes for keyboards.  Don't be one of these people - there are so many sets of keycaps and boards being made today there is no need to.  That said, group buys are not safe (guidance thread) and with ever increasing timeframes you might want to look at extras from recently completed GBs from a vendor which are more expensive than group buy but less than 2x.

Personal related opinion - avoid anything by MiTo, there's a good reason that he's banned.

Thanks mate, that helps a lot, I really appreciate that you warn me of this "MiTo" issue, I am now going down this rabbit hole to know more of what happened. Thank you and have a nice day.