Author Topic: What do you guys think of the discord keyboard?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
What do you guys think of the discord keyboard?
« on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 12:51:09 »
If you haven't heard, discord has launched a charity campaign with a hotswap bluetooth mechanical keyboard (TKL), here are some pictures and specs:

It even comes with some novelties!

You can chose the following options:
  • Dark theme gateron browns
  • Dark theme gateron reds
  • Light theme gateron browns
  • Light theme gateron reds

Let me know what you guys think and if you're gonna buy it or not!  ;)

EDIT: Here's the link! https://discordmerch.com/collections/snowsgiving-2021/products/discord-tkl-mechanical-keyboard
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2021, 12:57:31 by wariomale »
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: What do you guys think of the discord keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 14:01:21 »
Not particularly the best looking or good value. Not something I would ever consider getting. Maybe some nonkeyboarders might but it’s like an ehh at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rafen

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 17:59:16 »
That boards $190? That's a hard pass from me.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 18:01:06 »
Does it come with unlimited lifetime Nitro or something?

That would somewhat make it worth it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 20:28:45 »
Designed by the same people who did the Arctic Fox (Kono) with Bluetooth, carrying case and Tai-Hao caps, maybe even possibly programmable (not sure on that)...
It's not nearly as poorly priced as some of you seem to think, still not a great value but not necessarily terrible either if well made (likely) and you happen to like it.

The problem I have is why?
Why does it need to be Discord or be for some random charity, just make a good/solid keyboard at a reasonable price. I've never understood why people buy themed peripherals, it's bad enough when it's movie themed or something but corporate themed? Would you purposely buy an AT&T themed keyboard, how about Comcast, Verizon or Walmart? None of these companies give two sh*ts about you, why purposely brand your desk with their merch? Don't latch yourself to corporate entities, they are not your friend.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline kahlilnc

• KNC Keys LLC
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 23:44:07 »
No mention of the mounting style... That's a hard pass for me. I am assuming it's an integrated or tray mount board.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 05:50:23 »
I'd like to think that the whole thing is a bit of a joke, but it's probably serious.

If it's serious, then aside from some cheesy novelties, it's just boringly generic. Yet another bluetooth connected TKL with a blue/white keycap theme.

Edit: Going to that link shows the 'Meta' logo. Had no idea that it was owned by Facebook... makes me feel dirty for very occasionally using it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 December 2021, 05:54:45 by jamster »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 07:45:50 »
Edit: Going to that link shows the 'Meta' logo. Had no idea that it was owned by Facebook... makes me feel dirty for very occasionally using it.
They're just hosting the website/cart.

I can't find any other connection between the two companies.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 03:46:23 »

Meta is a hosting company. I was also confused by that lol.

Don't have my hopes up for the keyboard since they even cheaped out on the website, they could have at least paid to get rid of the watermark.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2021, 03:51:10 by wariomale »
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 03:53:26 »
Does it come with unlimited lifetime Nitro or something?

That would somewhat make it worth it.

Nitro for a year only is 100 USD, so a lifetime nitro supply for 190 USD is a steal.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 04:27:14 »
Why does it need to be Discord or be for some random charity, just make a good/solid keyboard at a reasonable price. I've never understood why people buy themed peripherals, it's bad enough when it's movie themed or something but corporate themed? Would you purposely buy an AT&T themed keyboard, how about Comcast, Verizon or Walmart? None of these companies give two sh*ts about you, why purposely brand your desk with their merch? Don't latch yourself to corporate entities, they are not your friend.
i can see why peoples would style their setup after some company, if they like their design, color scheme etc, i would for example like an old HP themed with the dark cyan and pink legends of the HP-HIL keyboards, or the dark gray brushed alu and orange or the 8570W. And for charity well there is the showing you gave and awareness to it. (and although i still do like the newer HP designs, i hate the downgrades to repair-ability compared to the old). also for companies like AT&T, IBM, DEC, SGI etc. they are legends in the keyboards/computer industry so nostalgia may also have something to do in that.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline maybejari

• Honkertown Studio
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 15:50:41 »
It looks okay but I don't think it would be bang for the buck type of keyboard, at least it goes towards charity.