Author Topic: High quality TKL plastic keyboard  (Read 10817 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
High quality TKL plastic keyboard
« on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 14:32:22 »
I was wondering if there is any High quality TKL plastic keyboard, more like a kit, so it would have barebone, no switches or caps.
I know there is kbd8X PC version.
What else is there?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: High quality TKL plastic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 16:42:01 »
Monstargear XO v3 comes to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 02:41:42 »

I see, yeah, I now remember that one.

Let me explain why I'm even looking at plastic case keyboard.

I noticed lately that I find all those alu keyboards... heavy. For years I wanted aluminium cases and now when all are made of it and I have them, they are kinda heavy, too heavy...
Anyone else have that feeling? That some solid plastic case would be great?
After trying kbd67 lite and its fantastic typing feeling, I think that we may not need those heavy alu cases.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 03:09:34 »

I noticed lately that I find all those alu keyboards... heavy. For years I wanted aluminium cases and now when all are made of it and I have them, they are kinda heavy, too heavy...
After trying kbd67 lite and its fantastic typing feeling, I think that we may not need those heavy alu cases.

Depends on if you need to move it every day or not. If I travel I rather use my HHKB
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 07:18:35 »

Depends on if you need to move it every day or not. If I travel I rather use my HHKB

Yes, I've been caring my Frog TKL everyday to work and back. Uncomfortable.

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 10:22:23 »
Maybe not high quality, but good alternative - NCR-80 v2 GB is live, I think I should give it a go.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 20:36:18 »
Maybe not high quality, but good alternative - NCR-80 v2 GB is live, I think I should give it a go.

I have NCR-80 and it is good. In fact, typing on it RN.

What you are looking for [other than the NCR-80] is the MK870 with a polycarb plate. I can't remember - did you already order it.

I have the MK870 with polycarb plate and PCB-mount stabilizers. It is basically a KBD8X Lite, except for the gasket mount. [I guess you can make your own o-ring / gummy mount].

The MK870 comes in the same transparent charcoal colour as the KBD67 Lite. The aftermarket plate is a bit of an issue for Westerners, as you have to order it from TaoBao. It costs about $45 CAD to get it to Canada. You can then put Durock stabilizers in it or whatever.

I have such a keyboard, with Gateron CAP Golden Brown and Varmilo PBT keycaps. It is surprisingly thocky. Very light - ideal for moving around from place-to-place.

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 02:59:13 »

I have NCR-80 and it is good. In fact, typing on it RN.

What you are looking for [other than the NCR-80] is the MK870 with a polycarb plate. I can't remember - did you already order it.

I have the MK870 with polycarb plate and PCB-mount stabilizers. It is basically a KBD8X Lite, except for the gasket mount. [I guess you can make your own o-ring / gummy mount].

The MK870 comes in the same transparent charcoal colour as the KBD67 Lite. The aftermarket plate is a bit of an issue for Westerners, as you have to order it from TaoBao. It costs about $45 CAD to get it to Canada. You can then put Durock stabilizers in it or whatever.

I have such a keyboard, with Gateron CAP Golden Brown and Varmilo PBT keycaps. It is surprisingly thocky. Very light - ideal for moving around from place-to-place.

No, I haven't bought this one yet.

I had a go once buyiing different keeb but failed on trying to buy an extra plate, it was all in chinese and translating was a pain:)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 December 2021, 07:10:12 by phinix »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 12:31:40 »

No, I haven't bought this one yet.

I ordered the MK870 from AliExpress, so that part was in English. The NCR-80 is being sold here by YMDK:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115570.0;topicseen

and was also being sold by ZFrontier. So I would recommend those two sites for the NCR-80, you can talk to YMDK in the thread.

Offline oofers

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 09:45:39 »
NK87?

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 11:42:30 »
I have bought ikki68 Aurora and have to say its pretty good keyboard.
Its not full TKL, but has cursor cluster and 4 most important keys from navigation cluster, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 12:50:41 »
I have bought ikki68 Aurora and have to say its pretty good keyboard.
Its not full TKL, but has cursor cluster and 4 most important keys from navigation cluster, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm about to receive my Aurora. Had I known you had access to one, I would have recommended it.

The Aurora has what is likely a superior mounting system compared to other entry-level keyboards [Aurora is really a lower mid-tier].

The MK870 I mentioned earlier is a good, light TKL but it is tray-mount. That makes it a little less than a KBD67 Lite.

The NCR-80 is a great plateless-style mount, which is good for light-tactiles. But plateless is polarizing among enthusiasts.

Anyway, the point is that yeah, the Aurora is basically a cut-down TKL and is high-quality for the (retail) price.

With regard to the earlier conversation about the MK870, I should mention that there now seem to be polycarbonate and brass plates available from AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003486277936.html

You can mod MK870 into what a KBD8X Lite might be. Polycarb plate, PCB-mount stabilizers, you can rig up your own O-ring or gummy-mount system. Then it has similar parts and config to what the KBD67 Lite has.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 14:51:32 »

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 15:50:33 »
Yeah, I got email as well :)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 19:00:14 »
Well I guess the real KBD8X Lite is the NK87.

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 10:44:00 »
Well I guess the real KBD8X Lite is the NK87.
Yeah, I think I'll order NK87 Entry Edition.
Looks like a good plastic TKL, ticks all the boxes to be honest. maybe not gasket mount, but its hotswap, RGB, pcb stabs, VIA - all good.

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 16:04:04 »
Decided to sell my ikki68 Aurora and buy this NK87, TKL is what I really need:)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 14:56:14 »
Understandable. You can sell a NIB Aurora for a very good price.

I've decided to hold on to mine, for now. The mounting and dampening system of the Aurora is very good. In my case, Aurora is being used with silent switches, which work well with its setup. Not many keyboards work as well for this OOB.

But in terms of pure typing utility, the NK87 should have it beat. Please let me know how it's typing feel compares to KBD67 Lite / KBD8X, as those are common points of reference! Nothing beats the KBD8X MKII for me so far, with KBD67L coming in a close second. [Aurora can be made good for silent setups].

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 15:04:16 »
Good things come to those who wait, and it's true in the keyboard world to some extent.

If you assume that someone will make something close to what you want, chances are that someone eventually will.

You can buy something compromised / less-desirable because it happens to be available [and there is panic buying with the supply-chain shortages and GB system], but ultimately if you hold out for what you want, you might be able to get it.

[Hence the NK87 - there are a few manufacturers and stores trying to get something that approaches decency en-masse into people's hands.]

Offline vutid

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 23:07:03 »
ncr80, really solid kit
GMK Rave

Offline phinix

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 02:57:51 »
ncr80, really solid kit

Yep, was concidering it for a while.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:55:46 »
NCR80 is surprisingly good, but it shouldn't be a surprise since it's an OG Cherry design.

The typing angle is good, because it works at lower and higher angles, especially with the adjustable feet. It's also pretty straight and sturdy, on a sturdy desk. Less sensitive to wobble than the Aurora.

It's a typists' keyboard. It does seem fairly large and hollow, sound like wet cardboard. So I can see how the old-style Cherry design puts people off. But it's really light and really easy to move around, it's a practical keyboard. Mine has the "tape mod."

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 06:52:59 »
Last night decided to order one - NK87 Entry edition, atomic purple color.
I like that funky color, will be my hotswap spare keeb for my Frog.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 09:47:24 »
Please let us know how it goes. I'm very interested in the NK87 EE. I heard it can be dampened well, which is interesting to me. Not many TKLs good for silent switches.

It looks as if the real KBD8X Lite is finally coming:

https://kbdfans.com/products/kbdfans-tiger-lite-keyboard-kit

If it's any good, it will blow away the competition.

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 10:15:00 »
Please let us know how it goes. I'm very interested in the NK87 EE. I heard it can be dampened well, which is interesting to me. Not many TKLs good for silent switches.

Will do.

Yeah, saw that one, depends on price, as it can cost $300 or be really good and be $150.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 13:20:09 »
nk87 ee and the devastating TKL (non-alu version of course) are some pretty good options

Offline phinix

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 03:11:44 »

nk87 ee and the devastating TKL (non-alu version of course) are some pretty good options

Well, NK87 came in yesterday - but it was in really poor quality, so I emailed Novelkeys to see what they can do - case had 3 big plastic chipped off marks and was really squeaking plus top cover was kinda bent, deformed and was moving up and down.
Total crap to be honest, I can't believe how they released it from QC.
Color is nice, as expected, I wish it came in all ok, so I could build it straight away.
I hope they come up with some kind of replacement cause this is not acceptable.

284398-0

EDIT:
Novelkeys replied to me - apparently for them all these scuffs, cracks, squicking and deformed case are within their "Acceptable Quality Standards"...
W..T...F...
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2022, 09:42:28 by phinix »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 22:47:22 »
Wow...that really sucks.

I was considering the NK87 EE. Many people received it and thought it was good. Disconcerting if they think that defects are within acceptable quality standards.

The defects are visible from the video. My MK870 seems to be built better than that. This increases my interest in the KBD8X Lite.

Wish you luck in getting some kind of acceptable recompense for your NK87.

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 11:49:29 »
NCR80 is surprisingly good, but it shouldn't be a surprise since it's an OG Cherry design.

The typing angle is good, because it works at lower and higher angles, especially with the adjustable feet. It's also pretty straight and sturdy, on a sturdy desk. Less sensitive to wobble than the Aurora.

It's a typists' keyboard. It does seem fairly large and hollow, sound like wet cardboard. So I can see how the old-style Cherry design puts people off. But it's really light and really easy to move around, it's a practical keyboard. Mine has the "tape mod."

Guess what? I just ordered one NCR-80. Woop woop! :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 12:03:07 »

I like mine a lot.  It will take some work to make it sound super nice, but I honestly don't too caught up in sound.  I thought about ordering one of the new black models.  I prefer WKL though, and they only appear to have the black in WK configuration.

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 01 August 2023, 16:51:52 »

I like mine a lot.  It will take some work to make it sound super nice, but I honestly don't too caught up in sound.  I thought about ordering one of the new black models.  I prefer WKL though, and they only appear to have the black in WK configuration.

Cool. Please share what kind of mods did you do to it to make it sound better.
I got R2 version, WKL with carbon fibre plate. Also I just ordered Gateron Oil Kings for it.

Offline phinix

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 08:30:10 »
Keyboard and OilKings switches arrived today. Daim, those are the best smooth linear switches EVER! :D
I'll be building it this weekend, photos and review to follow :)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 14:06:24 »
Oil Kings get high praise ... and they don't need any work necessarily.

They are about $35 CAD for 35, though! I think during a sale it might have gone down to 31 or 27 or something, but that's still steep.

I have an NCR-80 R3 with no switches in it. Maybe Gateron Oil Kings would be a good choice!

Offline phinix

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 17:09:47 »

What did you do to make it sound nice?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 09:10:04 »
If I remember correctly I used shelf liner and filled all the space under the PCB.  It’s that tear off stuff that makes projects like this go quickly. 

Con-Tact Brand Zip-N-Fit Solid Grip Liner, 18" x 4', Taupe (04F-CZ6U59-06AZ) https://a.co/d/41QQ9mF

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 13:00:36 »
If I remember correctly I used shelf liner and filled all the space under the PCB.  It’s that tear off stuff that makes projects like this go quickly. 

Con-Tact Brand Zip-N-Fit Solid Grip Liner, 18" x 4', Taupe (04F-CZ6U59-06AZ) https://a.co/d/41QQ9mF

Cool, I'll do that too, plus tape mod.
I have plate and plate foam, but I think I'll take it out, all ncr80s I saw were built plateless.

Offline phinix

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 18:22:44 »
OK, there is a problem with PCB - Capslock, on hotswap, having both hotswap sockets, they partially cover the switch center stem hole. I cannot mount a switch there! :(
I had to cut the main switch stem in order to mount it.
Anyone had this problem?

301326-0

Its built, but what the hell?!

301328-1

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 19:39:27 »
Looks great with those caps!

Yes we discussed it a while back on Keebtalk.  Most of us desoldered one of the sockets.  I left the off-center one because I like the look of stepped capslock

Offline phinix

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 03:01:00 »
Looks great with those caps!

Yes we discussed it a while back on Keebtalk.  Most of us desoldered one of the sockets.  I left the off-center one because I like the look of stepped capslock

I see, so its not just my piece, good :)

Yep, looking good, and feels good, and sounds pretty good! So Thocky! I did tape mod and mounted Oil Kings on it. Yum yum :)
I did plateless and caps looks crooked as hell in some places, but I guess this is it when you do plateless and hotswap.

Offline phinix

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 08:50:22 »
Oh man, it sounds so gooood... :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 09:43:25 »
Glad it worked out to your liking.  I'm really thinking about getting a second one. But I've over-spent this month already :(

Offline phinix

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 10:31:05 »
Glad it worked out to your liking.  I'm really thinking about getting a second one. But I've over-spent this month already :(

Dont know if I should mount plate and foam?
It is a bit weird, how it hits hard the bottom. Linear switches may add to this feeling as well.
I used to use lots of gasket mount keyboards in last few years, so this one feels weird a bit.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 11:40:25 »

Dont know if I should mount plate and foam?
It is a bit weird, how it hits hard the bottom. Linear switches may add to this feeling as well.
I used to use lots of gasket mount keyboards in last few years, so this one feels weird a bit.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  This is the original experience though. That's what the keyboard was meant to feel like.  But of course, if you don't like it, you should definitely try to make it more to your liking.

Offline phinix

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 17:43:14 »
I might try and mount it to see how it feels, but to be honest, it sounds so amazing that I would really not want to change it.
I know it sounds like I'm indecisive:)
It sounds as good as kbd67Lite, so deep and thocky, but feels like typing on a brick wall :D
However, this is kind of sound I'm looking for in any MX keyboards.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 23:01:38 »
It's good to keep an NCR plateless if it already is. It's a relatively unique feel these days.

Also, if you are using Cherry or certain other types of switches, you can open them and work on them while they are still soldered into the PCB. This could be useful for changing springs, for example.

I wouldn't foam an NCR-80. Hasn't worked out very well for me, except for silent builds. For non-silent, stick with shelf liner or empty board.

NCR is lighter without plate, and therefore more handy. Best to honour Cherry's vision, and not fill it with crap.