Author Topic: Modding a Huntsman V2 - your advice needed  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Fandom

Modding a Huntsman V2 - your advice needed
« on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 14:36:40 »
Hi folks.
I'm trying to improve a Razer Huntsman V2 which has two key flaws in my opinion:
- rattling stabilizers in all keys
- "rough" PBT keycaps (I prefer smooth to the touch)

I need your advice:
To fix the rattling stabs, I can either grease all the keys, or remove the stabilizers altogether. What do you recommend? And - is 205G0 or Permatex grease best for this job?

To fix the keycaps I was thinking of sanding them gently with a 1200-1600 grit sandpaper. Is that a good idea or will it cause any issues later e.g. with fingertip oils?

Thank you very much in advance!
Topre RealForce 88 UB. Previously: Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 (brown) + CM Storm Quickfire TK (brown)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: Modding a Huntsman V2 - your advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 15:25:35 »
I guess if you want to fix the sound of the stabs you can lube them with krytox, never heard of permatex before.
Don't sand the caps, just buy some cheap ones off of aliexpress, you can get some sets in the single digits, it's not worth the effort to sand them.
My best advice would be to tough it out and save up some cash to afford a good budget custom. You made a thread about it earlier.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline ciksie

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 00:43:36 »
I often use Foam to line mechanical keyboards like Sobrathane and Neoprene. If you use lubricant, you should use too much or you will have a keyboard disorder.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 16:10:04 »
I guess if you want to fix the sound of the stabs you can lube them with krytox, never heard of permatex before.
Don't sand the caps, just buy some cheap ones off of aliexpress, you can get some sets in the single digits, it's not worth the effort to sand them.
My best advice would be to tough it out and save up some cash to afford a good budget custom. You made a thread about it earlier.

By Permatex, I think they mean dielectric grease. Pretty common thing people use for stabilizers. They're actually one of the major manufacturers of all kinds of products from automotive gasket makers to windshield repair kits to anti-seize, so just saying Permatex doesn't really say much.

Don't care about rattly stabilizers myself, but it worked well for a squeaky spacebar stab wire on an F77 of mine, and having used it for other purposes in the past I could see why people would recommend it for stabilizers since it is cheap and available basically everywhere.

As much as I hate Razer as a company in general, the Huntsman V2's analogue optical switches actually make it a product that still fits a surprisingly small niche of extremely smooth contactless analogue switches. If I cared about getting the best possible modern linears, especially for games ... it would be on my short list.

I'm not sure why the emphasis is on replacing it outright for objectively inferior options in all regards besides maybe sound.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 12:35:37 »

By Permatex, I think they mean dielectric grease. Pretty common thing people use for stabilizers. They're actually one of the major manufacturers of all kinds of products from automotive gasket makers to windshield repair kits to anti-seize, so just saying Permatex doesn't really say much.

Don't care about rattly stabilizers myself, but it worked well for a squeaky spacebar stab wire on an F77 of mine, and having used it for other purposes in the past I could see why people would recommend it for stabilizers since it is cheap and available basically everywhere.

As much as I hate Razer as a company in general, the Huntsman V2's analogue optical switches actually make it a product that still fits a surprisingly small niche of extremely smooth contactless analogue switches. If I cared about getting the best possible modern linears, especially for games ... it would be on my short list.

I'm not sure why the emphasis is on replacing it outright for objectively inferior options in all regards besides maybe sound.
I've tried the huntsman in person. It ain't smoother than any MX board I own, that's cap.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 13:28:39 »
I've tried the huntsman in person. It ain't smoother than any MX board I own, that's cap.

I haven't, but I hadn't heard from anybody that didn't think they were very smooth. I should really drop by a Best Buy or something to try all of the contactless switches I can since gimmicky gamer boards seem to be almost the only ones bothering with novel contactless analogue mechanisms. No contactless switch really has any excuse for not being much smoother than MX, but this is also Razer I suppose.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 February 2023, 14:14:06 »

I haven't, but I hadn't heard from anybody that didn't think they were very smooth. I should really drop by a Best Buy or something to try all of the contactless switches I can since gimmicky gamer boards seem to be almost the only ones bothering with novel contactless analogue mechanisms. No contactless switch really has any excuse for not being much smoother than MX, but this is also Razer I suppose.
Better people than them have botched contactless designs.