geekhack Community > New Members

Greetings

(1/2) > >>

Xerobasix:
Hello everyone!

I was carried to Geek Hack on the rubber domes of a five-year-old Saitek Eclipse adorned in worn, grey keys bleeding light around the once crisp legends.  My job had introduced me to mild RSI and my search for “ergonomics” ended in intrigue.  Switches you say?

I found that my main problem was the mouse.  After eight hours a day of data-entry clicking my right arm couldn’t take gaming, browsing and homework (basically anything computer related after work).  The answer came to me in the form of a tenkeyless keyboard.

I, like most people, was told that the best TKL keyboard was/is/forever will be Filco.  So, I prepared my best case for why I needed a Filco TKL and announced to my girlfriend “I’m buying a $150 keyboard”.  Fortunately, she took it well enough, and I received her blessing as well as ultimatum for jewelry of the same price. 

I read for days trying to find the best switch type and decided that I wanted browns.   At the time the only stock of brown Filco TKL’s was with The Keyboard Company (Amazon was sold out).  So $150 quickly became over $180 and I reevaluated my choice.  Leopold!  I carted an Otaku Leo with browns, submitted my order, and like any pre-purchase research OCD sufferer entered post-purchase OCD research mode and found out about stabilizers…

The next morning a cancelation request was promptly sent to EK and while I’m sure that there’s nothing wrong with Leopold, paranoia coursed through my veins like crack through a twenty-dollar hooker.  After yet more research I ended up finding the CM Quickfire with browns (the same one I’m typing on now).

Little did I know when all this started that it wouldn’t end with the keyboard.  Oh, sure, I love every tactile bump of each character I create, but what would those characters feel like with blue switches?  What about red?  Wait I can get replacement key caps??? I suddenly feel like a five year old who just discovered Lego’s again (and if you ask my GF I act like one when it comes to keyboards).  I’ve got it bad.

The logo’s have left my Quickfire, thanks to some elbow grease and sanding, and the fresh paint will finally be “chip resistant” in a few days.  I even have a second Quickfire sanded and ready to be painted. 

My next thread will be pictures detailing the process along with plenty of credit to absyrd for putting up with my pm spamming about paint and his excellent thread here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=30620.0

TL;DR: RSI + Research + GH = keyboard addiction.

Let's see what's after the honeymoon phase...

alaricljs:
Welcome to the fold.

absyrd:
Been nice talking to you so far; by no means did you PM spam me or bother me one bit!

Can't wait to see your paint-jobs.

Xerobasix:
Ha!  Well, they're pretty boring as I'm only using the Krylon Fusion (for now), but the first one came out looking good.  It's been five days so far drying, so I'm getting close.  Just need to make a stencil and get some white paint and I'm set. :)

josh6135:
Welcome! I have a Leopold Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown and I love it. For times when I need a quiet keyboard I use a Realforce 87USW and that is amazing as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version