Author Topic: Wireless charging in the car?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline yester64

Wireless charging in the car?
« on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 19:57:57 »
Hi, i wonder if you can wirelessly charge your cellphone in the car. It this possible? I like to get rid of the cables if i can..
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Wireless charging in the car?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 20:15:48 »
It's been done a few times.
There are a few issues though...

You need magnets to hold it in place, which mess with the GPS, or a dock, in which case you may as well just use the dock to charge it.
The other issue is that wireless charging is very inefficient, it will take much longer to charge and may not be enough to compensate for the screen being on or bluetooth running.

And worst of all, unless you build it in yourself or it was a factory option, most cases won't fit (I don't run one anyway), but also they use a tab that sticks out and plugs into the USB port. In terms of use, this is good for the USB as you aren't plugging and unplugging it constantly. However, remember I said you can't run a case, even if you can, you can't protect that nub going to the USB port. If your phone happens to fall on that, the best case scenario is smashing that connector. On the other had, the worst case, is that it slams into the phone, destroying not just the USB port, but the entire PCB.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yester64

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 21:04:52 »
So sad.. i really thought it would be great, in theory.
I have a motorola charger which works fine, but i always thought about the cable and wireless charging as a nicer option. Maybe in the future....

The thing is, here in california (there maybe other states too) you supposed to have the windshield holder on the left side off the windshield. Normally i have it in the middle so the cable is not really an issue. But if i want to use navigation i need to charge at the same time. So if its on the left side you have the cable all over.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 22:48:36 »
So sad.. i really thought it would be great, in theory.
I have a motorola charger which works fine, but i always thought about the cable and wireless charging as a nicer option. Maybe in the future....

The thing is, here in california (there maybe other states too) you supposed to have the windshield holder on the left side off the windshield. Normally i have it in the middle so the cable is not really an issue. But if i want to use navigation i need to charge at the same time. So if its on the left side you have the cable all over.
Hide a cable up under the dash over to the other side.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 00:55:33 »
What is your phone? I suggest getting either one or two backup batteries or an extended battery.
There are also portable chargers.
You can check em all out on Amazon.

:))
SmallFry! <3