Author Topic: [IC] [GB Now LIVE] The Monarch: Alps Compatible 60%+LHTK  (Read 16523 times)

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
[IC] [GB Now LIVE] The Monarch: Alps Compatible 60%+LHTK
« on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 13:58:39 »
Group Buy Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75786.0

Hey guys, I recently completed my custom Monarch keyboard and it has since been received very positively! I have even gotten a few members of the community offering to buy my example and the extra few plate sets that I have for it. Since there seems to be some interest in this keyboard as a product I figured I’d see just exactly how many people would be interested in a groupbuy for their very own Monarch! The keyboard that would be offered would be a refined version of what I have initially built.

So, what is the Monarch?

• Alps Compatible
  • Uses Apple Extended Keyboard II keycaps (dye sub PBT) and stabilizers
  • 0.090” alumium for the top and bottom plates on the case (switch plate is recessed to allow the switches and stabilizer inserts to properly snap into place)
  • 0.375” Lexan for the center spacer
  • 60%+left-hand numberpad layout to allow for close mouse placement while still providing the convenience of the numberpad

Prototype Pictures:

Completed prototype:

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/98VRS

Plate recesses:

Full Build Log: http://imgur.com/a/AeGHW

[UPDATE]

Differences Between the Production Version and the Prototype Pictured above:

• Cerakoted finish on the aluminum plates. (Multiple color options are a possibilty)
  • Plates will be laser/water jet cut and then the recesses with be milled to allow for completely square corners on all switch and stabilizer holes (the prototype was cut completely by CNC milling)
  • PCB will be provided as part of the kit, so no hand wiring necessary! Designed my skullydazed.

The production process would be completed mostly by myself and my uncle (besides the laser cutting and Cerakoting) so I personally would be ensuring only the highest production standards.

Please let me know what your thoughts and wants are out of the Monarch!

Tentative GB Price: $275

The above price is for the case (top and bottom plates and center spacer) and the PCB. The buyer will be responsible for sourcing an AEKII to harvest keycaps and stabilizers from.

I am more than happy to answer any and all questions you might have!
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:29:41 by koalapear »
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [IC] The Monarch: Alps Compatible 60%+LHTK
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 15:50:03 »
Was reading your reddit post about this. Will this be programmable?

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 15:55:29 »

Yes! It will use TMK so it will be fully programmable.
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 16:01:04 »
How do you activate the function layer?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 17:01:58 »
Saw it on Reddit, found it here. Will be watching this from my chair at home.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 17:06:37 »
This is super snazzy and really interesting. But price will definitely come into play.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 17:56:16 »
Ooooh, very interesting.  I'm trying to stop buying things, so I'm unsure if I can commit to this, but I will be watching closely.  :)

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
Re: [IC] [UPDATE] The Monarch: Alps Compatible 60%+LHTK
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 20:44:32 »
UPDATE

Alright guys, a I've got a little update for you.

• I've been hard at work modifiying the case design to accomidate the PCB.
  • skullydazed has finalized the PCB design.
  • Lexan will be used for the center spacer in place of the acrylic originally planned.
  • A rough price estimate has been established! It will be around $275 for the case and PCB. The buyer is responsible for sourcing an AEK/AEKII for keycaps and stabilizers along with their choice of switches.
  • The case will most likely be finished using Cerakote which is commonly used on firearms. It is a very tough ceramic coating and is available in a myriad of colors! Multiple color options may be a possibility as well.
Here are some examples of a Cerakote finishes:

With multiple color options on the table I was thinking the above three options would all look very nice!

Here is the full catalog of available colors for Cerakote, let me know what colors would interest you!

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:07:57 by koalapear »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 20:56:40 »
Sign me up, yo.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 20:58:56 »
Great layout, but unsure if I can buy another board soon.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:05:13 »
This is an awesome project. Will you have feet at the bottom of the case to prop it up?

It would be difficult to type on if it was completely flat.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:07:58 »
This is very interesting. I look forward to following this. Not sure I can participate in the GB, but I know I want to.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:13:40 »
This is an awesome project. Will you have feet at the bottom of the case to prop it up?

On the prototype I'm using the big hemispherical rubber feet that came with my TEX case in the back and it feels perfect to me. I was planning on including a set of rubber feet like that with the kit. Unfortunately aluminum feet like GON's or TEX's might raise the price above my target. Keep in mind that the AEKII caps have a curved profile and get a bit taller the further up the board you go.

Here's my foot setup on the proto:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:40:48 »
When would the potential GB begin?

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:43:08 »
When would the potential GB begin?

Hopefully in the next month or two. Nothing set in stone yet.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:58:26 »
This looks awesome, but expensive.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 22:08:34 »

On the prototype I'm using the big hemispherical rubber feet that came with my TEX case in the back and it feels perfect to me. I was planning on including a set of rubber feet like that with the kit. Unfortunately aluminum feet like GON's or TEX's might raise the price above my target. Keep in mind that the AEKII caps have a curved profile and get a bit taller the further up the board you go.

Show Image

Ahh that's really too bad. I have two AEK2 that I type on and know that there are profiled caps but I still prefer the option of having more of a slant. Maybe we can have the holes cut at the bottom for screws, then have it as an optional thing? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting more of an angle. I've typed on many flat keyboards before and they really don't feel right to me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2015, 22:10:31 by Karura »

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 22:23:48 »

Show Image

Ahh that's really too bad. I have two AEK2 that I type on and know that there are profiled caps but I still prefer the option of having more of a slant. Maybe we can have the holes cut at the bottom for screws, then have it as an optional thing? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting more of an angle. I've typed on many flat keyboards before and they really don't feel right to me.

Mounting holes compatible with GON's feet are definitely doable! Just added them to the CAD file.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 22:31:05 »

Show Image

Mounting holes compatible with GON's feet are definitely doable! Just added them to the CAD file.

That would be super cool! Then people can just source their own feet, or if there's enough interest, you could just do a small GB to your place, then ship them out together! Hope this isn't too much extra work for ya, but I appreciate that you are considering my suggestions :)

Offline theginginator

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 17:34:44 »
The most obvious color choice would be bright purple  :p

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:25:38 »
Does it have to be ceracoated, over anodized? I'm worried that ceracoat would affect the feel of the surface.

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 00:40:14 »
God damn....Alps boards are getting so much attention lately I just don't have the money to get them all! haha. My only major concern is the number pad, does it have to be on the left? Or can it be on the right?

Offline FunkMasterJ

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 00:50:31 »
This needs to be made. Im surprised you haven't made a typing video of it yet.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:00:41 »
Does it have to be ceracoated, over anodized? I'm worried that ceracoat would affect the feel of the surface.

I'm going down to the Cerakote place tomorrow so I'll see how their stuff feels then and get back to you! From what I've heard its a fairly smooth finish.

God damn....Alps boards are getting so much attention lately I just don't have the money to get them all! haha. My only major concern is the number pad, does it have to be on the left? Or can it be on the right?

The TK on the right would mean redesigning every aspect of the board so it unfortunately isn't viable. I put the TK on the left to allow for mouse placement close to homerow but without sacrificing the functionality of the TK.

This needs to be made. Im surprised you haven't made a typing video of it yet.

Ask and you shall receive! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPqP7O24X8

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:22:34 »

The TK on the right would mean redesigning every aspect of the board so it unfortunately isn't viable. I put the TK on the left to allow for mouse placement close to homerow but without sacrificing the functionality of the TK.

That's understandable. I'm actually right handed myself so I normally use the mouse on my right, but recently I thought I should use my mouse with the left hand so I could build up some ambidextrous mouse skills :P

Also sidenote (sorry if this is not pertaining to the thread topic): do you still use the terrible abs spacebar? The one on mine is absolutely atrocious and don't really wanna harvest that onto something this beautiful haha

Also loving the typing video! Looks sexy in action! :D

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:36:25 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

My oh my are the first and third colours beautiful.

Offline FunkMasterJ

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 14:45:46 »

Oh wow lol ahead of the game. Side note do you game with that CST L-trac?

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 16:19:57 »

That's understandable. I'm actually right handed myself so I normally use the mouse on my right, but recently I thought I should use my mouse with the left hand so I could build up some ambidextrous mouse skills :P

Also sidenote (sorry if this is not pertaining to the thread topic): do you still use the terrible abs spacebar? The one on mine is absolutely atrocious and don't really wanna harvest that onto something this beautiful haha

Also loving the typing video! Looks sexy in action! :D

Yeah, I' m using the stock ABS spacebar. The AEKIIs I've bought I made sure that they had rubber dust covers on them which pretty much guarantees no yellowing and overall great condition.

Oh wow lol ahead of the game. Side note do you game with that CST L-trac?

I don't game much but depending on the game the CST works just fine (for stuff like Fallout). For more competitive stuff I still have a Zowie EC1 eVo.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

My oh my are the first and third colours beautiful.

It's looking like the first one (Satin Mag) is going to be one of the final colors!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 23:37:44 »
It's looking like the first one (Satin Mag) is going to be one of the final colors!

That will be awesome :D Can't wait to teardown my AEK2.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 00:25:36 »

So, I went down to the Cerakote place and am pleased to report that the finish feels very nice! It has a very fine smooth texture, hard to describe, but feels very high quality and looks great in my opinion.

Here's a crappy picture I took of some of their samples:

They look much better in real life.

Based on the samples I saw I think the color options that will be available in the GB will be Satin Mag, Burnt Bronze, and Cobalt.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 00:32:56 »

Cerakote is an amazing finish.  It is incredibly durable, much more so than anodizing, both hard and soft varieties.  Really the only difference between hard and soft anodizing is the length of time in one of the baths.  Plus, cerakote can actually be color matched, anodizing, not so much due to how the process works.  Though color matching a cerakote finish to an existing color of another part is difficult and fairly expensive due to the mixing required.  But the same color from two different shops should be identical colors.  With anodizing, you are lucky to get the same color from two different parts sent at different times.

I have made a custom LARGE mouse pad with cerakote finish on aluminum.  Been used for months now, still looks and feels like the day he received it.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 02:34:56 »
Can we get a pure black cerakote? I've always been a closet gun nut (love guns, never bought any cause not practical to own), so I'm aware of Cerakote.

I think a pure black option would be awesome haha.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 02:45:24 »
Btw Koalapear, you should have totally brought some aek keycaps so we could see how well the beige goes against the various colours... the shop might think you're insane though :p

Personally I think the grey or brass would complement the beige nicely but that's just my thoughts.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 10:37:42 »
This thing looks amazing. I am absolutely interested in one of these.

Were those plate recesses cut with a ball end mill?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:56:02 »
Can we get a pure black cerakote? I've always been a closet gun nut (love guns, never bought any cause not practical to own), so I'm aware of Cerakote.

I think a pure black option would be awesome haha.

I had considered it. However, when looking at the samples I found the Cobalt to be a much more interesting and beautiful finish compared to black, but that's just my opinion! Of course if the general consensus is that black would be preferable then that is absolutely possible!

Cerakote is an amazing finish.  It is incredibly durable, much more so than anodizing, both hard and soft varieties.  Really the only difference between hard and soft anodizing is the length of time in one of the baths.  Plus, cerakote can actually be color matched, anodizing, not so much due to how the process works.  Though color matching a cerakote finish to an existing color of another part is difficult and fairly expensive due to the mixing required.  But the same color from two different shops should be identical colors.  With anodizing, you are lucky to get the same color from two different parts sent at different times.

I have made a custom LARGE mouse pad with cerakote finish on aluminum.  Been used for months now, still looks and feels like the day he received it.

Thanks for your insight! Always love to hear about people's first hand experience.

Btw Koalapear, you should have totally brought some aek keycaps so we could see how well the beige goes against the various colours... the shop might think you're insane though :p

Personally I think the grey or brass would complement the beige nicely but that's just my thoughts.

I actually brought the Monarch prototype with me when I went (surprisingly enough the shop didn't seem too weirded out by it). Me being stupid I completely blanked on taking pictures of the samples with the the keycaps (although if I had the color balance would have been completely off). However, I did look at how well they went together and can assure you that all of the colors looked great with the keycaps, with my personal favorites being Cobalt and Burnt Bronze.

This thing looks amazing. I am absolutely interested in one of these.

Were those plate recesses cut with a ball end mill?

Thank you for the kind words! The recesses were milled with a regular end mill IIRC, albeit a very small one!

Offline nbowe

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 18:50:50 »
That is a thing of beauty.
Sign me up for 2. Maybe even 3.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:39:25 »
I assume that getting crazy colors for a single board isn't really viable here. I'm definitely interested, as I've always wanted a more lefty oriented board. (It's interesting, because I use my right hand to mouse, unless it's a touch pad, then I use my left. And I'm a lefty who can't use a left handed mouse, unless it's a trackball. Very weird, I know, but having the numpad on the left is what I've wanted for a while.) Anyway, if it isn't possible to get a crazy one-off color for this, how hard is it to get a part stripped and re-coated?

Also, just to confirm, I can use MX-compatible switches with the PCB, right?

Thanks! Definitely interested!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:49:54 »
I assume that getting crazy colors for a single board isn't really viable here. I'm definitely interested, as I've always wanted a more lefty oriented board. (It's interesting, because I use my right hand to mouse, unless it's a touch pad, then I use my left. And I'm a lefty who can't use a left handed mouse, unless it's a trackball. Very weird, I know, but having the numpad on the left is what I've wanted for a while.) Anyway, if it isn't possible to get a crazy one-off color for this, how hard is it to get a part stripped and re-coated?

The guy I talked to at the Cerakote place said that if a one-off color was desirable then he might be able to do it with a batch of stuff he's doing for said color. Not sure how easy that would really be to put together though.

Also, neither the plate nor PCB are MX compatible, ALPs only.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:54:59 »

The guy I talked to at the Cerakote place said that if a one-off color was desirable then he might be able to do it with a batch of stuff he's doing for said color. Not sure how easy that would really be to put together though.

Also, neither the plate nor PCB are MX compatible, ALPs only.
Darn. Well, I've never had an alps board, so I suppose that now is as good a time as any! Good to know about the colors, I'll take a closer look at them and find a few that catch my eye. Hopefully some other around here/other people will want their stuff in the same color!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 22:07:36 »
It would be good to include an option for Matias switches as part of the buy. A lot of buyers will need to pick some up, and they may be able to get a better price by pooling their orders.

My boards:
More

Offline Jersern

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 02:50:29 »
It sure would be amazing if there were a place to source good condition AEK spacebars......

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 03:49:32 »
It sure would be amazing if there were a place to source good condition AEK spacebars......

Weeellll, if my eyes and counting aren't wrong, the AEK spacebar is a 6.5 right? I just so happen to know of a sweet GB on ALPS keycaps going on right now! njbair's Alpine Winter set would look lovely on this build! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75515.0

(If this advertising is against your wishes koalapear feel free to delete this comment and I apologize in advance)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 04:23:04 »
Weeellll, if my eyes and counting aren't wrong, the AEK spacebar is a 6.5 right? I just so happen to know of a sweet GB on ALPS keycaps going on right now! njbair's Alpine Winter set would look lovely on this build! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75515.0

I already know about Alpine Winters but it's in DCS profile which I highly doubt will be a perfect match for the AEK profile. (Though if anyone has a comparison for the profiles of the spacebars that would be nice) Thanks anyway for the suggestion :) In the meantime I guess I can try retrobrite and other hacks to get it look and feel new.

Someone get onto making AEK2 PBT spacebars already please! :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 04:37:08 by Jersern »

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:02:28 »

I already know about Alpine Winters but it's in DCS profile which I highly doubt will be a perfect match for the AEK profile. (Though if anyone has a comparison for the profiles of the spacebars that would be nice) Thanks anyway for the suggestion :) In the meantime I guess I can try retrobrite and other hacks to get it look and feel new.

Someone get onto making AEK2 PBT spacebars already please! :D

Yeah no problem! c: And you never know, with the momentum Alps is getting we may have new "old" apple keycaps redone in all PBT :D!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 22:04:28 »
Yes definitely, with all the alps hype someone should make us some PBT spacebars riiiiiiiiight. Apple keycaps are already in pbt (minus spacebar) good on them.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
Re: [IC] [GB Now LIVE] The Monarch: Alps Compatible 60%+LHTK
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:30:47 »
I am pleased to announce that the group buy is now live!  :thumb:

Group Buy Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75786.0