Author Topic: [IC] Planck PCBs & Atomic Keyboard hand-wiring kits are now for sale!  (Read 157783 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: [IC] Planck Keyboard Interest Check (Google Form)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 23:41:55 »
[I actually built a 5x16 ortho-linear, and plan on doing a similar order for parts when the Planck gets rolling, if you're interested (keyset doesn't match it very well - lack of 1x2's):]

Speaking of which, I have plenty of unused 1x2s. Eventually I'll sort through them. They're from/ for POS boards, so most have odd legends. I'll probably sell the relegendable  and blank 1x2s and give away the legended 1x2s. In any case there is no real lack of 1x2s for any profile in the market; SP should be making tons of them for their commercial customers so just visit their inventory page from time to time.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 22:26:45 »
I want!

Offline Hazel

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 13:22:43 »
I replied to the 2nd interest check form, but I thought I'd respond in a bit more detail here.

On the subject of a trackpoint:  Its a cool idea and I certainly think you should continue working on it.  But I don't think its necessary and I'd hate to see this project stall due to R&D.  Trackpoint can wait until version 2 :)

On the subject of keycaps:  With a keyboard this small, every user is going to have their own idea of how to best utilize the space.  While it would be possible to do a single DSA set that covers most users, it would be a nightmare trying to please anyone with a profiled (DCS/WASD) set.   For profiled keys, I think a better approach would be to work with WASD to provide a compatible template so we can design our own sets.

Offline deci

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:45:13 »
DSA is definitely the way to go for keycaps on this one.

I think the idea is to have a color / font scheme that matches Granite which a lot of people already have.
That or people can always buy DSA blanks in whatever color they want.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 06:40:20 »
I didn't fill out the form yet because I don't know how to answer some of the questions. I didn't know there were 3 stabilizer types for instance not to mention which might be best. But I really like the concept.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:57:42 »
Want to buy two pcb with keycaps, plates(?maybe), switches = one classic + one split hand (all with trackpoints) But how trackpoint will be work? Where R M L mouse buttons are placed? Trackpoint modules from Sprintek? Will be possible add to order trackpoints without other stuff (I want to buy two additional trackpoints)?
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:34:45 by Vitaly »

Offline deci

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:56:37 »
So it doesn't seem to 'officially' be out on the site yet because I think the main kit is still being adjusted but the lunar keyset has a very sexy (and inexpensive if you don't need alphas) planck specific child deal.
Here is the currently 'hidden' link:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/lunar/

I already purchased it as well as a couple of other people but you might want to wait until it's finalized and appears on their main group buy page before you purchase.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 15:57:58 »
This looks really cool!
Have done both Interest Checks  :thumb:

Offline djpyle

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 16:31:49 »
I'm interested in one kit with blues at least, and maybe a second with browns. I just can't decide if I want to try soldering it/them myself or paying to have it done. I'm no pro for sure, but I think I could manage, and it would be neat to have a keyboard I'd partially built myself. The Matias switch option interests me too if enough people end up going for that. Especially now that Matias is working on providing extra keycaps. Submitted both forms.

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 19:57:23 »
Looks quite interesting and would be an interesting replacement to use with my transformer.  goodbye chiclet keyboard theoretically.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 14:17:34 »
Have you considered trying to run this through massdrop?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 18:10:44 »
I've built http://planckkeyboard.com for updates and as a place to put all the links. I'll try to keep the first post here up-to-date as well.

Have you considered trying to run this through massdrop?

I'm getting the plates made locally, and the PCBs made in China, so I don't really think it'd be worth the trouble to involve them.

I'm interested in one kit with blues at least, and maybe a second with browns. I just can't decide if I want to try soldering it/them myself or paying to have it done. I'm no pro for sure, but I think I could manage, and it would be neat to have a keyboard I'd partially built myself. The Matias switch option interests me too if enough people end up going for that. Especially now that Matias is working on providing extra keycaps. Submitted both forms.

There's about 20 people (out of 160) interested in a Matias version. If anything, it'll be a separate PCB and Plate option, but at this point, I'm not planning on making the PCB compatible with both.

Want to buy two pcb with keycaps, plates(?maybe), switches = one classic + one split hand (all with trackpoints) But how trackpoint will be work? Where R M L mouse buttons are placed? Trackpoint modules from Sprintek? Will be possible add to order trackpoints without other stuff (I want to buy two additional trackpoints)?

The Trackpoint will be in the center of the plate, right below home row. I'm testing some this weekend, so I'll have a better idea of what will work after that. Adding Trackpoints to the order will likely be possible.

I didn't fill out the form yet because I don't know how to answer some of the questions. I didn't know there were 3 stabilizer types for instance not to mention which might be best. But I really like the concept.

It doesn't really matter - if all goes as planned, it will support all three.

I replied to the 2nd interest check form, but I thought I'd respond in a bit more detail here.

On the subject of a trackpoint:  Its a cool idea and I certainly think you should continue working on it.  But I don't think its necessary and I'd hate to see this project stall due to R&D.  Trackpoint can wait until version 2 :)

On the subject of keycaps:  With a keyboard this small, every user is going to have their own idea of how to best utilize the space.  While it would be possible to do a single DSA set that covers most users, it would be a nightmare trying to please anyone with a profiled (DCS/WASD) set.   For profiled keys, I think a better approach would be to work with WASD to provide a compatible template so we can design our own sets.

The plan is to include Trackpoint support in the first run - there's really no reason to rush things. If you find yourself impatient, I have the miscut tops and bottoms for sale (with pics) on the website.

There's no plan to do a custom DSA before people are able to use them - I want to let everybody get used to using it before committing to an expensive keyset. WASD isn't interested in creating a custom set at this point, but creating a usable one from their ISO set is pretty easy. Profiled (OEM from WASD) sets aren't really that much of a pain since each set is custom.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:10:47 »
Thanks for all the work on this, Jack. 160 people responding to the IC is very promising.

The desire to have the perfect keycap set right way is often overwhelming but I agree with you. People who want to be early adopters of this board should just grab a set of blank DSA caps and experiment with the possibilities before locking themselves into a preset layout because of printed keys.

Offline deci

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:39:19 »
Thanks for all the work on this, Jack. 160 people responding to the IC is very promising.

The desire to have the perfect keycap set right way is often overwhelming but I agree with you. People who want to be early adopters of this board should just grab a set of blank DSA caps and experiment with the possibilities before locking themselves into a preset layout because of printed keys.

Yep, or you can just get in on this group buy that already supports planck layout:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 22:55:59 »

Yep, or you can just get in on this group buy that already supports planck layout:

Kinda. "Support" is there but only in the loosest possible way. Look at Jack's caps from WASD; they have the legends for each layer on them. The Lunar set is just the 1u mods and the blank 2u - they keys which are pretty much unchanged between all of the current layout ideas.

To me the main experimentation for Planck layouts will be from the 'upper' and 'lower' mods giving each key the ability to send at least 3 different scancodes. If you want Lunar mods and standard Alphas then go right ahead :) It's just hard to say that there is support for something that doesn't even have a standard layout yet (and only has two unique keys, upper/lower).

Offline deci

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 01:22:40 »

Kinda. "Support" is there but only in the loosest possible way. Look at Jack's caps from WASD; they have the legends for each layer on them. The Lunar set is just the 1u mods and the blank 2u - they keys which are pretty much unchanged between all of the current layout ideas.

To me the main experimentation for Planck layouts will be from the 'upper' and 'lower' mods giving each key the ability to send at least 3 different scancodes. If you want Lunar mods and standard Alphas then go right ahead :) It's just hard to say that there is support for something that doesn't even have a standard layout yet (and only has two unique keys, upper/lower).

I get what you are saying, but I think we have completely different definitions of what support means.

I mean, if you define 'support' as in there needs to be a legend for every single layer option, then yes you are right.
But personally I don't need a legend to tell me where my f-buttons or my punctuation is.

Other than the odd glance for something specific, I don't every look at my keyboard. I imagine most touch typists are in the same boat as me.
Legends are just for looks. And honestly, sticking 3 different layers of legends on 1 key looks very messy to me. Specially in a 40% keyboard.

So to each their own. But give me a minimalist styled keyset any day.
Thus I would argue that it fully "supports" my needs.

Btw, would you say that blank key sets don't support any typing?  :p

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 06:13:05 »
Is QWERTY layout images available? Just wondering how qwerty layout looks at this matrix(?) keyboard.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 08:53:26 »

I get what you are saying, but I think we have completely different definitions of what support means.

I mean, if you define 'support' as in there needs to be a legend for every single layer option, then yes you are right.
But personally I don't need a legend to tell me where my f-buttons or my punctuation is.

Other than the odd glance for something specific, I don't every look at my keyboard. I imagine most touch typists are in the same boat as me.
Legends are just for looks. And honestly, sticking 3 different layers of legends on 1 key looks very messy to me. Specially in a 40% keyboard.

I guess, aesthetically, blank keys support all typing  ;) Even though aesthetics is a very subjective topic I totally get the points you make.

My mean beef is with keys like ', <' '. >' '[ {' '] }' etc. I just feel it sucks to model a very programmable board around the 'standard' alpha functionality, just so the available keys match up. Ergodox supporting keycap sets offer blank keys for such a reason. If the Lunar (and/or future sets) came with ~6 blanks 1u keys in the alpha colour I would be a lot more happy with it. That is just my opinion :)

I'm primarily a programmer and I'm (slowly) working my own layout for this board. For example I have a keys this:
upperstandardlower
/|\
,.!
[TBC]
(TBC)
<TBC>

I think a set like Granite Mono Alphas would be a good match for both function and form. Really regret not going in on them now as I have almost all of the other keys covered with Granite Icon Pro Mods (damn you blank 2u key)!

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:16:14 »
My mean beef is with keys like ', <' '. >' '[ {' '] }' etc. I just feel it sucks to model a very programmable board around the 'standard' alpha functionality, just so the available keys match up. Ergodox supporting keycap sets offer blank keys for such a reason. If the Lunar (and/or future sets) came with ~6 blanks 1u keys in the alpha colour I would be a lot more happy with it. That is just my opinion :)

As much as I would love to redefine what people consider to be "standard," one of my main constraints in designing the Planck/other keyboards is keeping the muscle memory that most people have spent years developing. I'm a programmer as well, so I understand the want/need to have those keys ready-to-use, but I spend more time typing alpha characters than programming ones. I do still have "-=[]" and "_+}{" all mapped to my home row on my right hand with the raise and lower keys (my layout is on the website) - I feel that it is easier to type them this way than on a standard keyboard, but it does take some getting used to.

Concerning the keycaps, the only reason I want legends for my personal board is for "completeness" and to avoid answering the "but how do u kno which keys are what" question. Obviously there are varied opinions on the matter, so my goal is to try to accommodate as many of them as possible, without forcing any particular mindset on everyone.

As far as what will be available with the kits compared to later down the road (supplementally, in GBs through PMK, most likely)? Probably just blanks (~$25), and the custom WASD sets (~$50) that I've mentioned earlier. The assembled boards will be a bit different, as I see those people wanting a "standard Planck" layout (whatever that ends up being) more than a super-customised layout. With those, simple legends or full legends may be more appropriate. Full legends will definitely be less frustrating for someone that is trying to casually switch to/use it, compared to the blank sets and the people that will be using it full-time as soon as they get it (like me). I'd like to make the Planck and my future boards as noob-friendly as possible - keyboards make great gifts, and the holiday season is coming up ;)

Offline deci

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:23:56 »

I guess, aesthetically, blank keys support all typing  ;) Even though aesthetics is a very subjective topic I totally get the points you make.

I'm primarily a programmer and I'm (slowly) working my own layout for this board. For example I have a keys this:
upperstandardlower
/|\
,.!
[TBC]
(TBC)
<TBC>

I think a set like Granite Mono Alphas would be a good match for both function and form. Really regret not going in on them now as I have almost all of the other keys covered with Granite Icon Pro Mods (damn you blank 2u key)!

Oh I totally agree with you. There should be blanks to match that cream color.

BUT my plan is actually to use blanks or Granite alphas anyway.
Because if you notice the Lunar Planck option also gives you a black 2u spacebar that matches the other mod keys.
So basically you can use whatever color you want for the alphas as long as you don't mind a space bar that matches the mods instead of the alphas.
Thus for me this is a $13 set that allows me to use whatever DSA alphas I want :)

Yeah I 'm a programmer by trade as well.
I haven't decided what kind of punctuation layout I want yet either.
Honestly I have to use so much punctuation as well as numbers that I don't think I'll really be using a 40% for it.
Even my 60% feels annoying sometimes because I got used tomy TKL's where I have my entire numpad mapped to the 9 keys above the arrow cluster.
I mapped all the home, end, delete, print screen etc. stuff to function layers...
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:32:39 by deci »

Offline Vitaly

Re: [IC] Planck Keyboard Interest Checks 1 & 2, more info on website
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:38:05 »
When KB will be available?!

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 13:14:29 »
Very very interested in getting a couple PCBs to build with.
I love the compact size.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:50:46 »
How could have I ignored this thread for so long? 0_O

Filled the form #1, but not sure if correctly, because I probably thought both Cherry MX and Alps would be supported.

How much do the steel plates weigh? Do you plan to cut holes for opening switches without desoldering?
What does assembly consist of? SMD diodes, witches, connector and Teensy? Will PCB-mount switches be supported?

Personally, I'd appreciate something as simple as my ErgoDox, i.e. PCB-mounted switches and a simple PVC case—for more flexibility (i.e. modding switches or changing layouts easily) and to keep both price and weight down.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:53:19 »
Personally, I'd appreciate something as simple as my ErgoDox, i.e. PCB-mounted switches and a simple PVC case—for more flexibility (i.e. modding switches or changing layouts easily) and to keep both price and weight down.

Plates can be cut in a way that allows the switches to be opened and in my opinion the weight of the plate is really nice. It also makes the keystrokes feel better to a lot of people, myself included.

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:35:44 »
Well, yes. I'm asking, whether the plates will come with the holes already cut, or not, because I don't have access to equipment to do it by myself; if I did, I wouldn't care about the GB.

For me, plate mount is only necessary evil in case of Alps, slight increase in durability (umm, iPhone 6 #bendgate?) and a huge annoyance.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 14:51:09 »
Well I have ordered enough Nuclear Data stuff to cover a 122 and this thing not counting all the re-legendables I just ordered so I'm in. I actually don't have a keyboard to put those on yet so yeah.

Offline [esc]

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:05:57 »
This is really cool. I just came up with my own, very similar layout (here) before i found this! But the thing I can't understand is this: How on earth are you supposed to hit <space> comfortably? Is it ergonomic to have such a tiny spacebar placed so far away from the thumbs? I normally press <space> where the orange buttons on this keyboard are. Where can I read about some of the ideas/philosophy behind this layout? It is really special. Here is the layout I designed previously by the way:

78688-0

Alternative (I haven't thought through secondary/third layers yet, so I don't know how many function keys I need):
78690-1

I placed the modifier keys symmetrically, but I normally only use the left modifier keys when I type. Is it more correct to use both the left and right modifier keys, like using left-ctrl+C and right-ctrl+C?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:09:19 by [esc] »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:09:07 »
You're supposed to use the modifier opposite the finger you are hitting the modified key with. I can't do it. Right mods and I don't get along.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline [esc]

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:12:09 »
You're supposed to use the modifier opposite the finger you are hitting the modified key with. I can't do it. Right mods and I don't get along.

With my custom layout I want to teach myself to type correctly, but right now I only use the left ones too :P. The default Planck layout just re-enforces the bad habit by putting arrow keys there!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:13:00 »
Im a big fan of the caps lock + wasd = arrows on my poker, I would mirror that on the planck. It's so convenient.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline [esc]

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:18:14 »
Im a big fan of the caps lock + wasd = arrows on my poker, I would mirror that on the planck. It's so convenient.

Im considering that or ESDF or IJKL or HJKL :P

Offline RED-404

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:18:34 »
To be honest, most of the time I type only with my left hand and leave my right hand on the mouse unless I need to type something longer than a url or some IP addresses. If this thing is easily programmable I will move the arrow keys back to one of the layers preferably ASDF or WASD and bring back the right modifiers due to actually use them as unique keys in many games. I will also just ditch the media keys, I have only used them like twice in my life.

Edit: Spelling, that dyslexia thing in my sig isn't completely a joke...
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:21:25 by RED-404 »

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:22:04 »
You not alone, best place for arrows imho, caps+wasd - near zero time for hand movement, love it. Arrows in planck keyboard in VIM order but in wrong place  :)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:25:33 »
You not alone, best place for arrows imho, caps+wasd - near zero time for hand movement, love it. Arrows in planck keyboard in VIM order but in wrong place  :)

Exactly. No matter where your right hand is, the arrows are out of the way. If they are going to be on that side of the keyboard make them somewhere in the middle of the home row. I have no idea how to use any keyboard bigger than a 60% anymore. Fn layers are awesome.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline [esc]

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:37:39 »
Guys, what do you guys think about the weird spacebar on the planck?
But the thing I can't understand is this: How on earth are you supposed to hit <space> comfortably? Is it ergonomic to have such a tiny spacebar placed so far away from the thumbs? I normally press <space> where the orange buttons on this keyboard are.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:42:54 »
Guys, what do you guys think about the weird spacebar on the planck?

It's hard to tell. My left thumb rests dead center on a normal space bar so for gaming it wouldn't be an issues. However when I'm actually typing my right thumb is the one hitting the spacebar and it rests towards the right end of the spacebar. This may not be an issue tho since the keyboard is several columns thinner than an normal keyboard.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:54:32 »
I have small hands (and rather short fingers) and experience with using ErgoDox, TypeMatrix 2030 and a POS Access-IS keypad with 1x keys all over the place. The spots under V/B (or N/M respectively) are the most comfortable for me, the key under C (comma) is sort of okay and the outer rest is pressed by palms. This kind of keyboard absolutely requires split logical layout though, which makes the key in the middle a bit difficult to reach. Moreover, note that keycap profile makes a ton of difference. I've opted for MIT Mfn for that very reason, The Grid is my backup choise (perhaps even more suitable).

Good news the board is supposed to be programmable.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 18:59:49 »
I have a Japanese keyboard I use occasionally with 2.75 space so I don't think it would be too much different. Even though I tend to press space between CV I don't think it would be a huge nuisance for me to stretch over a key. In this case with such a small board I think it's better to have more keys than having a larger space target.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 19:17:40 »
Even though I tend to press space between CV I don't think it would be a huge nuisance for me to stretch over a key.
Reaching that far over along that row with your thumb forces you to tilt your hands to be more aligned with the grid of the keyboard, putting unnecessary uncomfortable strain on the wrists.

In a split design this wouldn’t be too much of a problem, but I suspect that a one-piece version of this layout as pictured at the top of this thread is going to lead discomfort or injury.

Has anyone even tested it for more than a few hours of typing? It’s IMO irresponsible to get people buying into a production run without at least a few weeks of full time testing by at least a couple of people.

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 20:49:34 »
How much do the steel plates weigh?

The MIT top plate weighs 4 oz / 114 g, and the bottom plate weighs 7.5 oz / 219 g.

Do you plan to cut holes for opening switches without desoldering?

I haven't had too much interest in this from comments, but I'll likely have this as an option - depending how many people are interested in it, it may cost a little more.

What does assembly consist of? SMD diodes, witches, connector and Teensy? Will PCB-mount switches be supported?

Interest Check #2 covered this, but all PCBs are SMD and assembled, meaning the diodes, USB, and IC (Teensy equiv.) are soldered on. PCB-mounted switches and stabilisers will be supported.

How on earth are you supposed to hit <space> comfortably? Is it ergonomic to have such a tiny spacebar placed so far away from the thumbs?

I use the "classic" layout (non-split), and I've found the spacebar to be quite comfortable. I'm not sure how your hands line-up on the keyboard, but my thumbs sit in-between the function keys and the spacebar.

Where can I read about some of the ideas/philosophy behind this layout?

The conception and evolution of the idea can be found on the reddit links on the site, but the general idea is just a completely programmable 12x4 grid with a 2x spacebar (with numerous variations, of course).

(Attachment Link)
Is it more correct to use both the left and right modifier keys, like using left-ctrl+C and right-ctrl+C?

I quite like this. The size of the backspace/other mod keys is the only thing I'd really change about the keyboard as I'm using it now (the one pictured on the site). I may be able to make the PCB compatible with the top 3/4 of your layout - I'm afraid the bottom may make things a little crowded. I would be a fan of something like this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/545b3e07edb4237f20c9cf9a050e1ab7 If you can decide on one, let me know, and I'll do what I can to support it.

This kind of keyboard absolutely requires split logical layout though, which makes the key in the middle a bit difficult to reach.

I've seen comments like this rather often, but I'm not convinced of this point - the Planck is basically the same as any other ortholinear keyboard with a smaller space and a crap-ton of modifiers. I find the keys in the center the easiest to reach, while the outside three (six total) are more difficult. I've designed my layout so those are rarely used, so it works for me. If I use the arrow keys, I drop my whole hand down to use them. After seeing the comments about the caps+wasd, I think I'm going to try something similar with my arst (colemak's asdf) and the FN1 key.

Good news the board is supposed to be programmable.

This is entirely accurate, and with some luck, it will be very easy to change layouts. My goal is to have some sort of online editor/sharing for layouts - like keyboard-layout-editor.com, but with a "download hex" (the thing that gets flashed to the board) option.

Has anyone even tested it for more than a few hours of typing? It’s IMO irresponsible to get people buying into a production run without at least a few weeks of full time testing by at least a couple of people.

I've been using this exclusively for a month (I'm a soft dev), and ptramo's been using it off and on for a week or so - I'm not sure of his exclusivity. I consider myself sensitive to RSIs, but have never had any problems since switching away from qwerty (dvorak for 5 years, colemak for 2 months) - if you use qwerty and are concerned about ergonomics/split-hand stuff, I'd switch your layout, or try something like the ergodox.

To be clear, I've found the Planck very comfortable to type on. The only real problems I've had have been with mod size (backspace, shift), and some odd key combos with symbols (zooming/tab switching) that I haven't rebound yet.

EDIT: I should note that I have fairly large hands with a 8.5" / 21.5 mm wingspan (pinky to thumb when stretched) and just under 8" / 20 mm from palm to finger tip.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 21:19:22 by jackhumbert »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 21:46:32 »
I've been using this exclusively for a month (I'm a soft dev), and ptramo's been using it off and on for a week or so - I'm not sure of his exclusivity. I consider myself sensitive to RSIs, but have never had any problems since switching away from qwerty (dvorak for 5 years, colemak for 2 months) - if you use qwerty and are concerned about ergonomics/split-hand stuff, I'd switch your layout, or try something like the ergodox.

To be clear, I've found the Planck very comfortable to type on. The only real problems I've had have been with mod size (backspace, shift), and some odd key combos with symbols (zooming/tab switching) that I haven't rebound yet.
Can you make a video of yourself typing on it? :-)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 09:15:07 »
I have a few questions about programming the board. Is it possible to have these combos?

1. 'Lower + tab' gives 'ctrl + tab'
2. Normal key press gives '[' and shifted key press gives ']'

My goal is to have some sort of online editor/sharing for layouts - like keyboard-layout-editor.com, but with a "download hex" (the thing that gets flashed to the board) option.

This would be great. I assume you have seen the MassDrop ergodox layout editor?
(www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 07:11:46 »
Thanks. Sooo… what's the minimal "order" to get a working keyboard? If I get just the PCB and supply my own PCB-mount Cherry MX switches (and keycaps), what do I have to get/do then (apart from soldering switches)?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:43:17 »
Thanks. Sooo… what's the minimal "order" to get a working keyboard? If I get just the PCB and supply my own PCB-mount Cherry MX switches (and keycaps), what do I have to get/do then (apart from soldering switches)?

I'm not sure what hardware will be presoldered for us, so we may need a USB port diodes and all that nonsense. You may also want plates and a case.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 02:19:40 »
Any more news about this IC? :)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 10:52:31 »

I'm not sure what hardware will be presoldered for us, so we may need a USB port diodes and all that nonsense. You may also want plates and a case.
See jacks answer above:

Interest Check #2 covered this, but all PCBs are SMD and assembled, meaning the diodes, USB, and IC (Teensy equiv.) are soldered on. PCB-mounted switches and stabilisers will be supported.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:21:20 »
Yeah, I mean, what's the "Just the soldering (~$50)" option then? Only soldering switches?

And if diodes come presoldered, what would I have to do, if I wanted to convert the PCB for example from The Grid to MIT?

Offline dante

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 11:24:47 »
I know I'm coming into this a little late - any hope for a Alps version?

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 06:34:33 »
What about dates? Want to get this board before new year or in first quarter of 2015!!! When you plan to start production and shipping?

Offline jackhumbert

• OLKB
    • OLKB.com
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 10:57:37 »
Can you make a video of yourself typing on it? :-)

Haha, I find this trend really weird, but I plan on making a little comedic promotion video eventually, that'll feature some key-pressing.

Is it possible to have these combos?
1. 'Lower + tab' gives 'ctrl + tab'
2. Normal key press gives '[' and shifted key press gives ']'

Yeap! Any key + a mod key can be programmed to a function key in TMK. I use the _+{} ones a lot, along with the 1-0 symbols - the 'ctrl + tab' would work the same way.

This would be great. I assume you have seen the MassDrop ergodox layout editor?
(www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox)

Yeap! It should work similar to that.

Just the PCB, some switches, and a USB cable - you'll want to have some separation between your desk and the PCB, though. I'm planning on pre-loading firmware with my layout so things will work as soon as you plug it in.

Yeah, I mean, what's the "Just the soldering (~$50)" option then? Only soldering switches?

And if diodes come presoldered, what would I have to do, if I wanted to convert the PCB for example from The Grid to MIT?

Nathan's right on here - "Just the soldering" means the switches are mounted on the plate (if you want one - keep in mind I don't have a source for PCB-mounted switches), and then soldered to the PCB. All PCBs will have components soldered on, and support all of the different layouts. There's no need to convert the PCB.

I know I'm coming into this a little late - any hope for a Alps version?

No Alps version initially - I don't have much experience with non-Cherry MX switches, so I'm holding off on designing that version. 2-3 months after the orders start, I'll be able to start messing around with ALPS stuff.

What about dates? Want to get this board before new year or in first quarter of 2015!!! When you plan to start production and shipping?

I'd like to start taking orders soon, but I wanna make sure the production is gonna be smooth. Talking to different manufacturers to make sure everything goes as planned.

Other updates:

Trackpoint has proven to be a little more difficult than I imagined. I may delay this to later versions, or just have instructions to do this manually.

After talking to the manufacturer, I may be able to lower the price on the metal plates quite a bit. This is pretty exciting - it opens up more doors for custom layouts. If you have one that you think makes a lot of sense that wasn't on the interest check, let me know and I may be able to support it.