Author Topic: The Official iTunes sucks thread  (Read 18803 times)

Offline Zaskar

Re: The Official iTunes sucks thread
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:45:13 »
**** their new music app also

Oh man, their new mucis app update to IOS prettymuch broke car connectivity. Often doesnt display track names anymore, need to open up the phone and manually kill the music app and re open it.

Speaking of itunes does anyone have experience with moving your itunes library from one computer to another?

Show Image

1386 artists, 15136 songs

I need to re install my computer since forever but I'm so afraid to lose my ratings, playlists and all the other stuff.

Yeah, its pretty simple as long as you have something big enough to hold/transfer your library.

If you never changed the default location it will be the iTunes folder that's inside your accounts Music folder in windows (Check inside to be sure it contains your music/apps). Back it up and paste it back in that location after installing iTunes on your new machine.

If you want to place it in a different location then hold Shift when you open itunes and it will bring up a  small window that will give you the option of choosing a library file in a new location, just select the .itl file from your itunes library in whatever location you put it.

Mine currently resides on a Synology network drive and itunes seems to handle it great, even with the network storage sleep enabled. iTunes just waits for it to spin up instead of immediately erroring out that it cant find the library.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:26:07 »
Itunes sucks but Apple Music's recommendations are really good :(

Offline Zaskar

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:31:54 »
Itunes sucks but Apple Music's recommendations are really good :(

Everytime I contemplate ditching it entirely I remember how many songs I've found through recommendations when I was searching a similar song. If it wasnt for that Id probably stopped using it a long time ago.

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 08:24:31 »
iTunes actually drove me to using Android
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline kebby

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:44:16 »
I hate iTunes because sometimes songs are only available there and I can't buy them. Just because they force you to install a desktop app or own an Apple touchscreen device to download a file.

I also hate it for all those podcast links I can't follow again because I have no desire to install Apple's crappy app. Even if I had I could not because they don't support my platform. Lastly, I don't like the way making a legal purchase from it gives me a file that embeds my name in it for tracking.

Offline pyrolovesmoney

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:11:25 »
Stopped using itunes years ago. My only reason to use it was to hear ipods, which they sucked at delivering. ONce I found stitcher I never again used itunes.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:42:51 »
I am curious as I haven't really checked it in the desktop. Does playing songs in Apple Music increase the Play Count? Back in the old days, I depend on Play Counts to create Smart Playlist, for example Favourites playlist will have songs > 20 play counts in the last 3 months. Now that we have Apple Music, and theoretically is streaming songs and not keeping a local copy, does iTunes track Play Count?

Offline Zaskar

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:54:16 »
Itunes also sometimes for whatever reasond decides to re encode an album and rescan the album art. But they (probably for some dumb copyright reason) keep your purchase tied to the old version that was replaced. You can still download the tracks from purchase history but the "complete this album" option is now greyed out (but oddly enough, the link to view the album in itunes store still brings you to the new one).

I noticed this on a lot of my music that I purchased a few years ago. while the album art is the same the color is slightly different showing a new scan of a printing from a different batch.

Offline shibataken

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:50:33 »
Yea...and all my iphone playlists somehow disappeared or got re-arranged.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 06:53:15 »
So any user of Itunes have a clue on how to just disable albums rating ? It's fukin up my whole playlist I just want to remove this ****.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 06:54:36 »
So any user of Itunes have a clue on how to just disable albums rating ? It's fukin up my whole playlist I just want to remove this ****.

what do you mean? why is it affecting a playlist?

~iTunes since the last update has actually been alot better for me and alot more stable... also I've been able to sync stuff!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:00:58 »

Like this for a exemple, this is my "RATE ME" playlist, and some albums got random rating assigned, so it gives me those stupid grey stars, CBA to browse through all my albums to change it down to 0 stars.

(rating on the far right is album rating).
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:04:43 »
Show Image

Like this for a exemple, this is my "RATE ME" playlist, and some albums got random rating assigned, so it gives me those stupid grey stars, CBA to browse through all my albums to change it down to 0 stars.

(rating on the far right is album rating).

Ahhh ok I think I got it, there is a set of stars that's album rating (if you rated the album 3 stars it auto puts three grey stars for each track). The other set of stars is the rating that song has, I think... if you want to hide the album stars you can right click on the list of categories at the top and untick it?
The grey stars don't really mean anything though so you could just ignore them?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:08:31 »
What bothers me is I never rated albums and the grey stars seem to count just like regular star.
And they fuk up my sorting because if an album gets 2stars, all his tracks gets into my 2stars playlist

This is really not convenient because I still have a lot of sorting to do :
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:13:21 »
What bothers me is I never rated albums and the grey stars seem to count just like regular star.
And they fuk up my sorting because if an album gets 2stars, all his tracks gets into my 2stars playlist

This is really not convenient because I still have a lot of sorting to do :
Show Image

You have a super strange way of sorting your music out haha so wait, if you add a new album to itunes and rate one track in the album, what happens ?

for me it stars the album like that in grey, is this what your talking about?

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:15:23 by baldgye »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:20:34 »
Basicly my system is I had new songs to my itunes they get into the "new playlist" (smart playlist of new songs that haven't been played yet)
I rate the decent one 2-3stars, they get into the "RATE ME" playlist (smart playlist of the 2-3 stars)
(Both of those playlists are 1000 songs more btw)

When they go up to 4-5 stars they get into my regular playlists

And so those random album rating are fukin up my system.

This is what it gives me. If I put the rating down to 0stars it fixes my issue, but I never rated it nor want to browse each album to fix it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:22:49 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:21:50 »
Basicly my system is I had new songs to my itunes they get into the "new playlist" (smart playlist of new songs that haven't been played yet)
I rate the decent one 2-3stars, they get into the "RATE ME" playlist (smart playlist of the 2-3 stars)

can't you edit the smart playlists to only count song rating and not album rating? Is this a new issue? I'm pretty sure iTunes has worked like that for years :/ but idk I've never used a system like yours as I tend to only add one or two albums at a time and listen to them solo a few times before rating

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:26:09 »

can't you edit the smart playlists to only count song rating and not album rating? Is this a new issue? I'm pretty sure iTunes has worked like that for years :/ but idk I've never used a system like yours as I tend to only add one or two albums at a time and listen to them solo a few times before rating

The smart playlist is on rating, not on album rating.

Too much music, I need an industrial system :x

Latest addition of the summer that I have not finished going through yet.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:30:39 »

The smart playlist is on rating, not on album rating.

Too much music, I need an industrial system :x

Show Image

Latest addition of the summer that I have not finished going through yet.

hmm I used to be like this but life and work got in the way... I'm trying to think of a way you could keep your system... I don't think there is an easy fix... one option could be when you add an album to iTunes you change the album name to '*Let Go' and then when you like it '**Let Go' and then sort by album name and have it start with * or ** or something?

But I'm amazed your iTunes even works properly with that much music in it, I remember when my iTunes library was over 300gb and it was a NIGHTMARE it was so slow...

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:05:46 »
Just bumping this to remind everyone how AWFUL iTunes is. When did it become so difficult to add music to your phone? What happened to dragging and dropping stuff over???

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:42:37 »
Just bumping this to remind everyone how AWFUL iTunes is. When did it become so difficult to add music to your phone? What happened to dragging and dropping stuff over???

It all died with the iPod app on iOS. The decline of a good music player...that said even if we got pre-iOS 7 (or heck, even 8 I think) music back I wouldn't complain one bit; and might even switch back to iPhone!

iTunes has almost always been bad in some manner.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:44:32 »

It all died with the iPod app. The decline of a good music player...that said even if we got pre-iOS 7 (or heck, even 8 I think) music back I wouldn't complain one bit; and might even switch back to iPhone!

I haven't messed with itunes in forever, but now I'm forced to add some music to my phone since I'm going out of town and don't want to burn a ton of data streaming music. Holy crap it is so bad. I should just pay for Spotify and download everything offline instead of messing with this crap.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:56:00 »
download everything offline

bingo  ;)

have been doing this forever and the part of me that refuses to change will not be changing any time sooner!

automation is rarely "great", good at best, more likely than not disastrous when done wrong or in a mediocre manner.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:57:32 by jerue »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 22:28:35 »
Plenty of open source alternatives such as Amarok.  Good luck bringing your itunes playlists over though...
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 22:36:34 »
Anybody have any luck syncing everything to iCloud? I can only get about 25% of my library to sync.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 01:57:35 »
Anybody have any luck syncing everything to iCloud? I can only get about 25% of my library to sync.

never got it to work, all it tells me when i try is that there isn't enough space and then it spams me over and over every single day that i need to buy more space, the only way to stop the spam is to sign out of every icloud service which includes find my iphone. **** me i hate this garbage phone and os

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:43:56 »
iTunes evolved to the point that I had difficulty finding the music I had stored on my hard drive.  The main goal of Itunes is to sell stuff, not help you organize your music, that's what they design it for now.

Since I made the switch over to Linux, I've found a number of better organized music players.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 10:38:53 »
iTunes evolved to the point that I had difficulty finding the music I had stored on my hard drive.  The main goal of Itunes is to sell stuff, not help you organize your music, that's what they design it for now.

Since I made the switch over to Linux, I've found a number of better organized music players.

I'm not a crazy person so I won't be moving from Windows, but I'm going to take a serous look at foobar, I really need new HDD's though and spend a good few days sorting my music collection properly before I do anything too crazy.

That said iTunes Store has gotten a lot worse, it used to be far more tailored to your specific tastes and prior purchases, but they seem to have ditched all of that. Though I don't find it any harder to find my own music than I used too...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 14:43:12 »
I have always wondered how a UX-focused company like Apple can so severely and seriously mess up the UX of iTunes. And after every redesign that supposedly makes it better, it is even worse! And it is sooo sloow.

Though I was tempted by Apple Music, I tried it for like 2 hours and I was like "screw this UI. Back to Spotify."

Wondering whether my Mac would implode if I delete the iTunes binary..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline johnystare

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:26:23 »
If you want to listen to music on your Iphone, but all the music is on your PC, then I advise you to use this software - https://softorino.com/waltr/windows-guides/how-upload-music-your-iphone-using-waltr/ - there is nothing complicated, and if you can't figure it out, then there are many articles on how to do it.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 22:05:23 »
All my homies love winamp

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 02:45:07 »
MediaMonkey rules
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:00:25 »
If you want to listen to music on your Iphone, but all the music is on your PC, then I advise you to use this software - https://softorino.com/waltr/windows-guides/how-upload-music-your-iphone-using-waltr/ - there is nothing complicated, and if you can't figure it out, then there are many articles on how to do it.
But what if I want to rectally load my music through my Krause end-bulbs? Will this software help my music cross my blood brain barrier?