Author Topic: [IC] The AUNK, a 60% keyboard PCB for all people of the world  (Read 28796 times)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

As some of you may know, I'm the designer of the upcoming TK78-R & TK78-L keyboards. But, before those keyboards, I was designing yet another 60%. Why? Because I'm Brazilian and never saw a 60% that gives full support for our standard layout: ABNT2. It is, as a matter of fact, a mixing of the ISO standard (inverted L-shaped Enter, split left Shift) and the JIS standard (split right Shift).

So I decided months ago to design my own board.

This design have gone through more than 10 revisions, as I always had new ideas that I wanted to incorporate into my PCB. I wanted this board to be as flexible (in terms of layout possibilities) as possible. So I spent some time reading many other threads about custom 60% PCBs and added some ideas of mine and reached these specs for the board:

• Support for ANSI, ISO, JIS and ABNT2;
  • Split Backspace key;
  • Split Shift keys. The left one is split as on ISO standard, but the right one you can choose to split as on JIS (1×1 - 1×1.75) or as on HHKB (1×1.75 - 1×1);
  • Stepped and non-stepped Caps Lock support;

The bottom row
This was the part of the design that gave me more work. I wanted to give full support to JIS layout, even if no Japanese will ever use this board: I thought that this could still be useful, the extra keys can be configured as extra Fn keys.

That said, that are all bottom row configurations this PCB support:
  • ANSI 1.25 (standard)
  • ANSI 1.5 (full 1.5 mod, winkeyless or HHKB)
  • ANSI 1.5 variant, with an extra 1×1 key and using a 6× spacebar
  • JIS, with 3 extra keys.
As I wanted to make use of standard keycaps, there are 2 configurations for JIS bottom row:
  • An ANSI 1.5 variation, with 3 1×1.25 JIS keys and an extra 1×1 at the right side of the spacebar, which is 1×2.25;
  • An ANSI 1.25 variation, with all keys but the spacebar and a 1×1 key measuring 1×1.25. The spacebar is 1×2.75.
There are some layouts that I wanted to include but wasn't possible because of size limitations (like the Samwisekoi, present on the GH60).

How much will it cost?

That will depend if I find someone to proxy the PCBs on the US and/or Europe. My target to this initial batch is $30 - $50, but this will be higher if I have to ship them from Brazil. Reason: import taxes.

My idea is to produce an initial batch of 10 15 PCBs (can be more if there is interest), which will have assembled SMD components at the fab house. The microcontroller will be our good Atmel ATmega32u4, using TMK keyboard firmware. The PCB can be fitted on any Poker-style case.

UPDATE: I'm in talk with a fab house that, going everything right, will ship the PCB's directly to the buyer, avoiding the need for reshipping. Let's hope everything goes well.

UPDATE 2: I will finish the revision 5 of the board and set the group buy in some days. The goal will be 25 PCB's, which will bring them to an acceptable cost.

What the hell does means AUNK?

Aunk is a small hamlet in East Devon, England. But for us, AUNK means AWESOME United Nations Keyboard, as this board can be used by any person on this planet in their native keyboard layout. ;)

The project is adjourned. No estimate to when it'll be alive. I thank all the support I got around this project and I'm sad and sorry that it won't come to life as soon as I expected.
[/list]
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2015, 06:46:28 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: [IC] Enter the AUNK, yet another 60% keyboard PCB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 10:40:50 »
Very nice. I would love to grab one to build a JIS layout. I can help with distribution if you wish.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 10:52:53 »
I don't see any metion on the stepped caps lock, is it supported?

Look very interesting.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 10:59:39 »
I don't see any metion on the stepped caps lock, is it supported?

Look very interesting.
Nice reminder! Yes, it is supported. I'll edit the OP.

Offline TheMamaMafia

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 11:28:25 »
Very interesting Vinny! I'd definately be interested in a PCB like this. I know you probably don't need more help with distribution in Europe/North-Europe, otherwise I would also offered you help :)

Btw, will components like the processor, connector etc. already be soldered onto the PCB when you ship them out, or do we have to solder them to the board ourselves?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 11:32:35 by TheMamaMafia »

Offline superhostile

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 11:31:31 »
Interested! Especially if you can get it under $50 USD.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:25:53 »
Very nice. I'd be interested in seeing how the PCB looks like now that it supports all those layouts & switches :P
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:32:01 »
Very nice. I'd be interested in seeing how the PCB looks like now that it supports all those layouts & switches :P
Looks like swiss cheese. :D

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:34:06 »
I suspect you'll run afoul of the ALPS + multiple arrangements problems everyone else says happens. You can either support both switches, or multiple layouts, but both at once tends to step on each other and you can't keep discrete wires anymore.

Having said that, if after shipping and with controller it could be around $50 I bet I'd be in for one. Still waiting for samwioski to come back and make a run of his 60% MX+Alps board though. I'd probably only get one or the other; too many keyboards and not enough malamutes to type on them.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:40:21 »
I suspect you'll run afoul of the ALPS + multiple arrangements problems everyone else says happens. You can either support both switches, or multiple layouts, but both at once tends to step on each other and you can't keep discrete wires anymore.

Having said that, if after shipping and with controller it could be around $50 I bet I'd be in for one. Still waiting for samwioski to come back and make a run of his 60% MX+Alps board though. I'd probably only get one or the other; too many keyboards and not enough malamutes to type on them.
Thank you for the comment. And I understand your concern, that's why I said that ALPS is an upcoming feature: it isn't done yet and I may be forced to scrape it if I find the problems you said.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:41:29 »

Here is a picture of the VERY EARLY prototype i was very lucky to get my hands on.

Thanks Vinny, i really appericate this.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:42:10 »
That's awesome. Probably as close as one can get to my pseudo-ergo staggered layout.

Definitely interested in one for PCB-mounted MX-compatible switches, as long as it's around $50 or less.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:44:36 by davkol »

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:44:28 »
For the record, will PCB-mounted MX-compatible switches be supported?
Yes. :D

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:48:32 »
Show Image

Here is a picture of the VERY EARLY prototype i was very lucky to get my hands on.

Perfect for you to test your universial plates I guess ;)

Though, it looks like the bottom row is still missing some layout options.

I like the the silhouette of Rio de Janeiro. Nice touch! (but not the biggest fan of the smiley)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:49:18 »
Will the switches be mounted upside down on the final version?

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:49:38 »
That's awesome. Probably as close as one can get to my pseudo-ergo staggered layout.
Interesting! What does the "ISO" key do?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:51:10 »
Show Image

Perfect for you to test your universial plates I guess ;)

Though, it looks like the bottom row is still missing some layout options.

I like the the silhouette of Rio de Janeiro. Nice touch! (but not the biggest fan of the smiley)
I'll reduce the size of the smiley, it was indeed too big.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:55:52 »
Yes. That's something that the (now defunct?) task force of the rMK60 discussed about. Placing the switches this way seems to better align the LEDs with translucent legend keycaps. It also gives more space on some strategic places, like the neighborhood of the USB connector.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:58:53 »
It sends scan code 86. I've mapped it to dead keys for accents on my custom keymap; the Neo layout uses it as a modifier for an extra layer;…

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:59:16 »
EDIT: My guess was wrong.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:03:05 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:00:02 »
Yes. That's something that the (now defunct?) task force of the rMK60 discussed about. Placing the switches this way seems to better align the LEDs with translucent legend keycaps. It also gives more space on some strategic places, like the neighborhood of the USB connector.

I know this might sound crazy, but any chance that you can support "standard" and upside down switch placement? As far as I'm aware, a good majority of enthusiasts don't use backlit keycaps and prefer the "underglow" effect of having the LEDs mounted on the bottom.

... Though your PCB will probably look even more like Swiss cheese :p

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:02:08 »

I know this might sound crazy, but any chance that you can support "standard" and upside down switch placement? As far as I'm aware, a good majority of enthusiasts don't use backlit keycaps and prefer the "underglow" effect of having the LEDs mounted on the bottom.

Holy **** haha. The board will have more empty space from the holes than there is actual PCB!

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:08:19 »

I can try just to see if that is feasible. But...

Holy **** haha. The board will have more empty space from the holes than there is actual PCB!

... and fab houses hates that. It could even affect the integrity of the board.

I'll understand if some people dislike one or more features of the board. Unfortunately I can't please everyone. No PCB is perfect, and this one isn't an exception.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:17:13 »

I can try just to see if that is feasible. But...

... and fab houses hates that. It could even affect the integrity of the board.

I'll understand if some people dislike one or more features of the board. Unfortunately I can't please everyone. No PCB is perfect, and this one isn't an exception.
Maybe do what winkeyless does and you could offer a regular version and a R version as far as throughhole positioning goes

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:21:27 »
Maybe do what winkeyless does and you could offer a regular version and a R version as far as throughhole positioning goes
That's interesting. I think I could do that, but the possible GBs would be only one version at a time.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:27:23 »
I would be interested in a prototype. Looks quite interesting :)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:36:03 »
Btw, will components like the processor, connector etc. already be soldered onto the PCB when you ship them out, or do we have to solder them to the board ourselves?
You will have to solder just the switches.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 14:16:34 »
That will be hard to get caps for, but let me dream dammit!

Mod is for i3wm, and IME is for switching between Japanese and English, so at least one board could be used in as intended(even though I'd use romaji input).
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 14:31:31 »
the USB looks like surface mounted, pushing the usb-cable down might break it easily, is this the case?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 14:47:26 »
the USB looks like surface mounted, pushing the usb-cable down might break it easily, is this the case?
Yes, it is surface mounted. It's the same connector used on the GH60. I can change it for a through hole version.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 14:57:38 »
Yes, it is surface mounted. It's the same connector used on the GH60. I can change it for a through hole version.

Even from my limited experience, it would be much much much better, especially if the through-hole could be soldered too, it could become a new thing

Otherwise even a small tap to the cable could easily break/dislodge the connector, and they do, with this knowledge, I would never buy a keyboard/pcb with surface mounted usb-connectors second-hand ever again :)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 18:21:41 »
Even from my limited experience, it would be much much much better, especially if the through-hole could be soldered too, it could become a new thing

Otherwise even a small tap to the cable could easily break/dislodge the connector, and they do, with this knowledge, I would never buy a keyboard/pcb with surface mounted usb-connectors second-hand ever again :)
Changed the mini USB connector from SMD to through hole. I've found a connector that was almost an instant change: the physical profile is almost identical and just needed to make minor tracing corrections.

About the suggestion of making the switches flippable on the board: it can be done, but for that I have to drop LED support.

Offline norim_13

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 19:15:12 »
Will this project only cover 60% keyboards, or do you plan to extend it to other formats?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 20:22:43 »
Will this project only cover 60% keyboards, or do you plan to extend it to other formats?
Just 60% for now, as the Poker case is the de facto standard case. Other formats would need custom cases.

Offline Arvid

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:00:48 »
Seeing as some popular keycapsets (Retro, Granite) have included 3" Spacebars would it be possible for this pcb to have those?

This is my current dream layout that I was thinking of handwiring but with this pcb being so close I just had to ask:)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:12:43 »
Seeing as some popular keycapsets (Retro, Granite) have included 3" Spacebars would it be possible for this pcb to have those?

This is my current dream layout that I was thinking of handwiring but with this pcb being so close I just had to ask:)
Very unlikely at this moment, I'm sorry.  :-[

Offline Arvid

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:16:16 »

Very unlikely at this moment, I'm sorry.  :-[

Seems like you can order 2.75" 'Granite' space bars from signature plastics so I am still very interested in this:)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:40:49 »
Seems like you can order 2.75" 'Granite' space bars from signature plastics so I am still very interested in this:)
2.75u is the measure of the ANSI right Shift key, so it is easy to obtain. 3u isn't used on ANSI or ISO, so you have to custom order it. That's why I didn't included it on the layout, as my goal was to make any layout possible using only standard keycaps.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:52:12 »
Status update: the board will now use a through hole mini USB connector, as suggested by Captain Kirk KHAANNN, to increase mechanical stability. Also I've finished adding the switches' LEDs. Now I'm going to modify my component library to add ALPS switches compatibility. I think it won't be difficult to do that, but let's try first before.

Offline Arvid

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:32:25 »
2.75u is the measure of the ANSI right Shift key, so it is easy to obtain. 3u isn't used on ANSI or ISO, so you have to custom order it. That's why I didn't included it on the layout, as my goal was to make any layout possible using only standard keycaps.

Having that Shift Icon on the space would drive me crazy:p

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:37:46 »

Having that Shift Icon on the space would drive me crazy:p

It would drive me crazy too, but you can easily buy GDE blanks (buying SA/DSA blanks in general is easy)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:45:30 »
I don't know what you're talking about. Having a keyboard of blanks drives me up a wall but I don't care if the text on the key doesn't quite match what comes out on the screen.

My JD45's space bar is labelled 'caps lock' -- the tab, right next to it, says 'backspace.'

I suppose for comedic value I should swap them. The space is labelled backspace, hmm?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 14:05:05 »

I wanted to give full support to JIS layout

3u spacebar tho :p

If you really need it, I'm sitting on about 750 3u Cherry JIS spacebar stabilizer wires.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 14:16:42 »

I wanted to give full support to JIS layout

3u spacebar tho :p
Show Image

If you really need it, I'm sitting on about 750 3u Cherry JIS spacebar stabilizer wires.
And that's why I said the bottom row gave me so much work. If 3u spacebars were more common/easily obtained, I would gladly use it. But they are not. PMK doesn't sell blanks of this size on their site, for example.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:00:27 »
This is my 60% layout 4 lyfe by the way: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/34f7ca4a8f5eceeefe918ba056bcf5a2 (60% with arrows)

I'm guessing the right-bottom row is not supported, but I'm guessing it would be possible by drilling the PCB manually

It would still be nice if it was supported on default tho, I'm sure it's a layout a lot of people would like

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 19:37:30 »
I may be interested if this fits a poker case.   Is this going to be arduino based?
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 20:08:22 »
I may be interested if this fits a poker case.   Is this going to be arduino based?
It will fit a Poker case, that is a main requisite of this PCB. It will be based on the ATmega32u4, but not on Arduino: I'll use TMK firmware for it.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 21:27:41 »
I was waiting for LeandreN's plate to arrive, but it will take a while and I have another 4 PCBs anyway, so I built today the prototype AUNK:

105993-0

And it was good that this is only a prototype, as I've found a mistake on the PCB. It still works, but need a hack to fit Cherry PCB stabilizers on ANSI layout, and that's unacceptable on the final version.

I also found a mistake on the basic TMK firmware I originally wrote, corrected that in 5 minutes. Now I need to learn how to program layers, and the different kinds of Fn activation.

And that Esc key was asking to be used on this board.  :))

Offline TheMamaMafia

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 01:37:36 »
I was waiting for LeandreN's plate to arrive, but it will take a while and I have another 4 PCBs anyway, so I built today the prototype AUNK:

(Attachment Link)

And it was good that this is only a prototype, as I've found a mistake on the PCB. It still works, but need a hack to fit Cherry PCB stabilizers on ANSI layout, and that's unacceptable on the final version.

I also found a mistake on the basic TMK firmware I originally wrote, corrected that in 5 minutes. Now I need to learn how to program layers, and the different kinds of Fn activation.

And that Esc key was asking to be used on this board.  :))
Wow, looks *awesome* Hopefully I'll be using one in my custom build soon...

Offline zhihuichan

• Click,click,click
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 02:45:21 »
I'm interested ! Both split right shift and split left shift. I'll use the extra 1x keys as fn1 and fn2 key!  I think you should find a proxy in USA.