Author Topic: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (GB IS LIVE)  (Read 1512597 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: [IC] GMK SKIDATA+ (Finalized Renders, Awaiting Pricing)
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:17:48 »
Stay tuned...

There has been a lot of behind the scenes work done to elevate this GB to legendary status. It is literally impossible to describe the amount of coordination it will take to make this happen, as this has never been offered before, but there's nothing stopping the team from realizing the SKIDATA+ dream. :thumb:

All will be revealed in good time. Projected GB start will be late Sept or early Oct, if everything goes smoothly.

Look forward to it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2015, 00:48:46 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:23:56 »
Projected GB start will be late Sept or early Oct, if everything goes smoothly.

Look forward to it.

How long do you intend on keeping the GB open?
Can't wait!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 23:29:15 »
Projected GB start will be late Sept or early Oct, if everything goes smoothly.

Look forward to it.

How long do you intend on keeping the GB open?
Can't wait!

4-5 weeks. Start saving money now ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 00:38:59 »
Keep tuned...

There has been a lot of behind the scenes work done to elevate this GB to legendary status. It is literally impossible to describe the amount of coordination it will take to make this happen, as this has never been offered before, but there's nothing stopping the team from realizing the SKIDATA+ dream. :thumb:

All will be revealed in good time. Projected GB start will be late Sept or early Oct, if everything goes smoothly.

Look forward to it.

Geez we have a 100% confirmed SKIDATA addict here, looking forward to seeing these babies unfurled here on GH Central  :thumb: .

Nothing better than buying into a true zealot's GMK key-set, which won't be your normal one by the sound of things thus far.

Always keep us informed of the latest additions and the hype might go light-speed especially here were all true key-cap addicts reside, worldwide.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 07:38:29 »
Stay tuned...

Look forward to it.

Thanks for the update Mr. 

Hype Level 1000!

I have a new orange-ish skull waiting :)

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 09:48:30 »
Stay tuned...

Look forward to it.

:eek:

Can't wait!

Offline Data

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 14:25:34 »
hype_intensifies.jpg

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 19:37:09 »
Little teaser from the planning crew...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #308 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 20:10:16 »

Show Image

Orange on dark grey always works BUT the blue ESC is a little off putting.

Please don't say you'll be mixing a blue colour with essentially a warm coloured colour-way?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #309 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 20:19:14 »

Show Image

Please don't say you'll be mixing a blue colour with essentially a warm coloured colour-way?
You may be forgetting about the origins of this colorway:

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 20:37:32 »
Looks good.  I like the approach you've taken on the function keys,I had forgotten the the original had ninja style legends.

Any thoughts on having orange text on the blue escape key to match the logo on the skidata case?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #311 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 21:48:48 »
Every day that goes by, I like this set more and more.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 22:22:41 »

Show Image

You may be forgetting about the origins of this colorway:

Show Image

The original SKIDATA case has a slightly darker blue shade, hence it pulls it off easily.  Plus if you've noticed the original key-set, HAS NO BLUE coloured keys (FACT).

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 12 September 2015, 22:47:25 »

The original SKIDATA case has a slightly darker blue shade, hence it pulls it off easily.  Plus if you've noticed the original key-set, HAS NO BLUE coloured keys (FACT).

You'll have to place your trust in me (and the crew) that it'll turn out amazing. Besides, they'll be extra additions that won't affect what's already here. (Read: Are you really against the idea of having EVEN MORE AWESOME OPTIONS?!) ;)

A vibrant blue would nicely complement the bright orange of the set.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 02:27:29 »
You'll have to place your trust in me (and the crew) that it'll turn out amazing. Besides, they'll be extra additions that won't affect what's already here. (Read: Are you really against the idea of having EVEN MORE AWESOME OPTIONS?!) ;)

Show Image

Trying to hold back my anticipation to these because the current GMK collection is already getting rather large at my place, whilst being here on Geekhack.

But please remember to try and stay somewhat authentic to the ORIGINAL SkiDATA only because that is what everyone ultimately wants.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 03:47:46 »

Show Image

Trying to hold back my anticipation to these because the current GMK collection is already getting rather large at my place, whilst being here on Geekhack.

But please remember to try and stay somewhat authentic to the ORIGINAL SkiDATA only because that is what everyone ultimately wants.
I know Karura is only playing with the idea of offering some unique additions that can turn the set from a modest one to an eye-popping(in a good way ;) ) alternative... If one were so inclined.
The original SkiData will be preserved but combined with other colors this set can be very versatile.

Edit:
I can't show you right now since I'm on my phone but look up the MammUt Eiger Extreme series of clothing. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2015, 03:52:43 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 03:56:46 »
I understand your concerns completely. Please do not worry, as these are competely optional additions to introduce a splash of colour for those that might appreciate it, and will not affect the authentic, original Skidata keyset that already exists, haha. Thank you for your concerns. :thumb:

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 09:37:55 »
Not sure if Im going to be able to resist this when orders open. I'm loving the colors and all the versatility being worked into the base set.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:09:38 »
I understand your concerns completely. Please do not worry, as these are competely optional additions to introduce a splash of colour for those that might appreciate it, and will not affect the authentic, original Skidata keyset that already exists, haha. Thank you for your concerns. :thumb:

That's the real genius of this set, that if you just buy the base set you have Skidata, but you can add the orange modifiers & other extras and you have Skidata+, so it's a win-win.

My boards:
More

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:16:03 »

That's the real genius of this set, that if you just buy the base set you have Skidata, but you can add the orange modifiers & other extras and you have Skidata+, so it's a win-win.

I couldn't have said it better myself, haha. You completely understand the etymology behind the "+" in SKIDATA+ :thumb:

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:25:39 »
Have you thought about a solution to avoid this problem?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73626.msg1863969#msg1863969

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #321 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:27:31 »

My boards:
More

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:29:56 »

Pay GMK by credit card.

Sure that would work, but Classic Beige shows that many people have problems NOT paying with Paypal.

And if you use Paypayl your funds might get frozen. It's a tricky situation.

Offline ika

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:31:14 »

Pay GMK by credit card.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury to pay GMK directly, or we would have explored that option already.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:31:25 »

Pay GMK by credit card.

Sure that would work, but Classic Beige shows that many people have problems NOT paying with Paypal.

And if you use Paypayl your funds might get frozen. It's a tricky situation.

I meant, collect funds via PayPal, but pay GMK for the whole order with a credit card, then pay yourself back when PayPal unfreezes the funds.

My boards:
More

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #325 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:33:52 »
That means you'd have to pay like 30k upfront out of your own pocket.

That's quite some money...

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #326 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:37:46 »
That means you'd have to pay like 30k upfront out of your own pocket.

That's quite some money...

Wow, somehow I didn't realize how much cash was changing hands for a full GMK set @ ~250 orders. That's a lot of money. Not really sure what I would do in that case, except to make pre-arrangements with PayPal somehow.

My boards:
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #327 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 15:46:09 »

Amazon Payments instead of Paypal is one.  Their fees are generally lower as well.  Or try Google Wallet

Move to Stripe or another credit card processor.

Run group buys on Kickstarter (****ty cap example here).

Set up our own group buy site and have multiple payment options like Stripe, WePay, Dwolla, etc.

It looks like one of the main issues here is that it was sold as a good not a service.  There's a post on DT about why that's an important distinction.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #328 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 16:04:53 »

Amazon Payments instead of Paypal is one.  Their fees are generally lower as well.  Or try Google Wallet

Set up our own group buy site and have multiple payment options like Stripe, WePay, Dwolla, etc.

It looks like one of the main issues here is that it was sold as a good not a service.  There's a post on DT about why that's an important distinction.
I know you are looking for options but all of those rely heavily on credit cards... which large parts of the world doesn't use.

That is some good info though. :)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #329 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 18:56:25 »
Ultimately it will come down to convenience because if this Group Buy suddenly gets 'complicated' for the purchaser and you try forcing them into a different payment scheme, then you'll lose the numbers necessary to make this tip (FACT).

I've been through numerous GBs here on Geekhack and it's always been Paypal first and everything last or taken off the table.  Needless to say those complicated GBs with a different payment system all eventually failed.

If you hate dealing with Paypal then MassDrop would be perfect for you, but since you have this ingrained hatred towards them, then all I can say is good luck on this bud.  Hope you can make it tip quickly.

In the end always apply logic to a problem in solving it rather than relying on your own personal feelings towards something or someone.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 19:18:18 »

I know you are looking for options but all of those rely heavily on credit cards... which large parts of the world doesn't use.

That is some good info though. :)

About half of the options I listed don't need credit cards, you can link a bank account to them and do bank transfers. 

Stripe also allows you to charge in Bitcoin, so you could have someone purchase Bitcoin in their country, pay with it (with a brokerage fee to cover conversion costs), then immediately sell the coins so that you don't lose any money due to market volatility.

I'm just putting options I know of out there.  It's better to suggest potential solutions instead of immediately stating that options won't work.  Point out which ones have potential and which ones are less likely to be helpful for international buyers.

I suppose one other option that hasn't been discussed is to have regional fund collectors who transfer the money to the group buy runner.  Have a trusted designated individual use a common collection method for a region (such as Alipay in parts of Asia), include fees to cover transfer costs, and do a bank transfer to the GB runner.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 19:21:00 »
Ultimately it will come down to convenience because if this Group Buy suddenly gets 'complicated' for the purchaser and you try forcing them into a different payment scheme, then you'll lose the numbers necessary to make this tip (FACT).

I've been through numerous GBs here on Geekhack and it's always been Paypal first and everything last or taken off the table.  Needless to say those complicated GBs with a different payment system all eventually failed.

If you hate dealing with Paypal then MassDrop would be perfect for you, but since you have this ingrained hatred towards them, then all I can say is good luck on this bud.  Hope you can make it tip quickly.

In the end always apply logic to a problem in solving it rather than relying on your own personal feelings towards something or someone.

I wasn't too sure about this GB, as Hack'd by Geeks was too low contrast for me (SA's are more shiny, so it doesn't apply too much to the same colorway in GMK, as GMK keycaps don't shine that much)

However, now I hear that Karura is a fellow MassDrop hater, I feel more compelled to join :)

It will most probably be [2]+[3] for me, more probably be [2]+[3]x3 - I really wonder what that [3] is going to be
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 21:43:12 »
However, now I hear that Karura is a fellow MassDrop hater, I feel more compelled to join :)

Exactly now you just need another 499+ MassDrop haters, willing to part their money on this venture  ;D .

Offline Data

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 22:05:32 »
Not a Massdrop hater but I'll be joining this GB for main set and orange mods (at minimum) if we can work around this new Paypal shenanigans.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #334 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 22:11:06 »
One great thing about Massdrop is that buys ran through them get a lot of orders. I do not have any preference when it comes to the group buy organizer, or which payment method you decide on though. As long as you figure out a way to make the buy run smoothly I am happy  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2015, 22:13:39 by nickheller »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 23:29:46 »
One great thing about Massdrop is that buys ran through them get a lot of orders. I do not have any preference when it comes to the group buy organizer, or which payment method you decide on though. As long as you figure out a way to make the buy run smoothly I am happy  :thumb:

Also don't forget if any Group Buy fails like not enough GMK buyers signed on you get 100% refunded of your payment in full.  That is why MassDrop is the ONLY one guaranteeing complete refunds if anything goes wrong.

You have to ask the OP here, will he offer that very same guarantee even if this Group Buy fails to reach that vital tipping point?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 06:21:28 »
MassDrop is like a deal with the devil, it seems great at first, but you are guaranteed to regret it

They are glorified re-shippers, yet they can't even package stuff, worst part is they repeat their mistakes over and over

Sometimes circumstances force you to make a deal with the devil and live with the consequences, the question is, is the situation this dire for the gb-runners?

Let's also not forget that before Massdrop, GMK's were the best, but after GMK TA, even a proven colorway like Classic Beige is failing, due to the perceived quality reduction they caused with the shipping issues they inflicted on potential buyers, so instead of moving GB's to Massdrop and support them, I would personally boycot Massdrop, and I'm personally boycotting them, generally getting screwed once is enough for me, I don't easily forgive
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #337 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 06:29:57 »
Let's also not forget that before Massdrop, GMK's were the best, but after GMK TA, even a proven colorway like Classic Beige is failing, due to the perceived quality reduction they caused with the shipping issues they inflicted on potential buyers, so instead of moving GB's to Massdrop and support them, I would personally boycot Massdrop, and I'm personally boycotting them, generally getting screwed once is enough for me, I don't easily forgive

Also remember that QC on Charred Orange was ****ty and that was a sherry set. And I'm guessing the timing on CB also kinda killed it, coming right after a string of GMK GBs
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:23:10 »
I can't say I fully understand everyone's hatred for massdrop.

I've had a few bad experiences with them, for example with my vortex pbt set they sent me the wrong replacement key twice, at which point I just gave up. Everything else has been, at worst, decently shpped and arrived within a reasonable time frame, once even over a month earlier than predicted.

And in there defense, the TA shipping disaster more than likely would have happened regardless of who shipped it because of the trays. I'm not saying they couldn't have done a better job but I don't feel like it wouldn't have gone that much better regardless.

And if they enable us to actually buy the caps we want then what's the problem? They take a small cut? They're a business, it's standard practice, just like some of the vendors on geekhack do when they contribute to a GB. Worried about them missing caps when shipping? Have GMK pre-sort them, no problem.

If there's something I'm missing please let me know, but while I wouldn't call them the ideal place to host GBs, it's good to have an alternative if needed.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #339 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:32:20 »
Going back a bit in the discussion, the main problem I have with the numpad "÷" and "x" legends is that the characters typed on-screen don't match those legends. When I type "/" on the numpad, a "/" is displayed on screen.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:35:27 »
I can't say I fully understand everyone's hatred for massdrop.

I've had a few bad experiences with them, for example with my vortex pbt set they sent me the wrong replacement key twice, at which point I just gave up. Everything else has been, at worst, decently shpped and arrived within a reasonable time frame, once even over a month earlier than predicted.

And in there defense, the TA shipping disaster more than likely would have happened regardless of who shipped it because of the trays. I'm not saying they couldn't have done a better job but I don't feel like it wouldn't have gone that much better regardless.

And if they enable us to actually buy the caps we want then what's the problem? They take a small cut? They're a business, it's standard practice, just like some of the vendors on geekhack do when they contribute to a GB. Worried about them missing caps when shipping? Have GMK pre-sort them, no problem.

If there's something I'm missing please let me know, but while I wouldn't call them the ideal place to host GBs, it's good to have an alternative if needed.

The general issues with MD are :

- they generally don't know what they are selling, at some point they were selling spring for cherry switches, the description was basicly : "korean kustom good, korean spring you buy", their descriptions of items clearly let you know they have no clue on what they are selling,
- doesn't work with community, more often the opposite, there has been few instances where MassDrop launched a buy on something that was discussed in the Interest Checks of GeekHack. Recent exemple are gateron buys (switches & keycaps) + now the 60% plates (btw their universal plates are missing a lot of things).

I do agree that they resend items easily if there's a problem, but there seems to always have problem on the items (50% of my MD buys had issues).

For those reasons **** MassDrop, first business I'm boycotting in my life. I prefer to deal with a member of the community and talk to a passionate individual.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:43:14 »
MassDrop also doesn't ship to Vietnam

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:44:36 »

- they generally don't know what they are selling, at some point they were selling spring for cherry switches, the description was basicly : "korean kustom good, korean spring you buy", their descriptions of items clearly let you know they have no clue on what they are selling,
- doesn't work with community, more often the opposite, there has been few instances where MassDrop launched a buy on something that was discussed in the Interest Checks of GeekHack. Recent exemple are gateron buys (switches & keycaps) + now the 60% plates (btw their universal plates are missing a lot of things).

I do agree that they resend items easily if there's a problem, but there seems to always have problem on the items (50% of my MD buys had issues).

For those reasons **** Massdrop, first business I'm boycotting in my life. I prefer to deal with a member of the community and talk to a passionate individual.
I agree with the points you've made, especially the overlapping of GBs, and of course I would also prefer to have any given GB run by a trusted member of this community, but if this community alone can't generate enough interest to reach MOQ it's good to have an alternative if need be.

Why's that?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #343 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:45:08 »

For those reasons **** Massdrop, first business I'm boycotting in my life. I prefer to deal with a member of the community and talk to a passionate individual.
I agree with the points you've made, especially the overlapping of GBs, and of course I would also prefer to have any given GB run by a trusted member of this community, but if this community alone can't generate enough interest to reach MOQ it's good to have an alternative if need be.

Why's that?
I have no idea, but I proxy for my Vietnamese friends

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 07:49:02 »
I have no idea, but I proxy for my Vietnamese friends
Well at least that service is provided, good of you to help :thumb:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:07:07 »
... (redacted)
Drop, first business I'm boycotting in my life. I prefer to deal with a member of the community and talk to a passionate individual.

+1, couldn't agree more

they are also extremely cheap, it doesn't apply to keycaps, but it applies to custom keyboards they produce like the infinity keyboard, instead of paying $1-2 for some decent costar parts, somehow they found a set of costar stab parts that likely costs 20c less but technically impossible to work - screwed a lot of infinity buyers over several drops (there are a lot more issues like these, but I won't dilute another GB thread further, suffice to say they s*** :) (+ they don't send replacements easily anymore, I tried to get a replacement for my mis-molded TA Backspace and failed, they just replied 2-3 weeks later and it seems they are just trying to delay things until I give up, and I probably will)

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #346 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:27:41 »
On the other hand, Massdrop can pretty much guarantee reaching MOQ or at least having the financial resources to cover the MOQ gap (see Sky Dolch). TA may have had quality and shipping issues, but the set design and options was expertly managed by Intelli and using Massdrop allowed him to bring the set to tons of people with very little risk on not reaching MOQ. Could another keyset designer not "use Massdrop" to guarantee their set gets made? Classic Beige was pretty much assumed to make MOQ and we see what's happening there. Is SkiData really a sure thing?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #347 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:35:40 »
MassDrop is like a deal with the devil, it seems great at first, but you are guaranteed to regret it

They are glorified re-shippers, yet they can't even package stuff, worst part is they repeat their mistakes over and over

Sometimes circumstances force you to make a deal with the devil and live with the consequences, the question is, is the situation this dire for the gb-runners?

So you're pissed off with their Shipping?

I've bought dozens of things from them and they always delivered everything to my place undamaged.  Hence I don't have a massive chip on my shoulder ONLY for their shipping, they have run all Group Buys honestly compared to some who've run their versions here on Geekhack.

Only CTRL/ALT and Ivan beats them on complete and honest disclosure during and after a GB finishes.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:41:20 »
I would not be shocked at all to see whatever stock Originative still has of Charred Orange to show up on Massdrop. The recent GMK Dolch, and the GMK RGB, and CMY kits were from originative, so Massdrop is obviously willing to work with them.

That does not really add anything to the discussion here, I was just throwing it out there. Massdrop may not even want to run this if they can just sell the Charred Orange. I have no idea how many sets of Charred Orange are left though, and this adds a lot to the colorway.

In the end I will be happy no matter who runs it, as long as I end up with these great caps on my keyboard!
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:43:14 by nickheller »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #349 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:45:25 »
On the other hand, Massdrop can pretty much guarantee reaching MOQ or at least having the financial resources to cover the MOQ gap (see Sky Dolch). TA may have had quality and shipping issues, but the set design and options was expertly managed by Intelli and using Massdrop allowed him to bring the set to tons of people with very little risk on not reaching MOQ.

Completely AGREE.

Most people around the world have never heard of GMK except us hard-core nutbags here on GH Central, so bringing complete noobs into the GMK fold is a major triumph of MassDrop.  Maybe I was extremely lucky in receiving perfectly formed TA key-caps that were packed expertly within my cardboard box but I wasn't the only one who received their packaged items undamaged.

Again thus far MassDrop has promoted the use of designed key-caps from GMK, SP and other lesser known manufacturers to a much wider audience than only promoting it to our little crowd here only within GH.  Far better for the key-cap movement and far better for the progression of the mechanical keyboard to be spread about the wider world, instead of us becoming another narrow minded Korean-like Forum only concerned about ourselves and our little world of control and exclusion.

MassDrop is the perfect key-cap enabler and you get the numbers far quicker than any other known method.  Please show where there is a better place than MassDrop to secure a certain GMK manufacture, so easily within 10 days or less?