Author Topic: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set - Up on Massdrop!  (Read 131011 times)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Re: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 15:42:15 »
Show Image

Changes so far, there are two "Seele" keys as the original may be unfamiliar enough  that we can use it "as is".

Edit:
I don't think the joker face with all black color looks recognizable, the red grin is better. I'll have to find the perfect grin, I tried the cartoony ones with the teeth but the result was... not nice.

Ok. The Seele logo ones make me moist because it makes me think of Lilith on the cross in Central Dogma which is a major Eva visual for me, but I understand the black and red keys being the only ones like that is an issue.  Is there another way we can incorporate the angels in this? Perhaps a green on purple (for visibility) silhouette of Adam's embyro (Attachment Link) ?

Or one of the better known angels like Sachiel (Attachment Link) ?

And speaking of Sachiel, what do the kanji look like for the word "Berserk"? I know some other ones have been rejected, but was it due to SP limitations or did we just not feel it?

As suggested by simonyunhe it's "暴走" like what HolyOOPS uses. I don't know what to do with it, I can't style as it may change the meaning because I can't read it, and the japanese characters are so detailed... I tried looking for alternate fonts than the one that shipped with Windows but it was not a priority so I dropped it. HolyOOPS also has a Sachiel key I believe, that's why I didn't push the idea of the angels.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline TheMalacoda

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:32:01 »
Show Image

Changes so far, there are two "Seele" keys as the original may be unfamiliar enough  that we can use it "as is".

Edit:
I don't think the joker face with all black color looks recognizable, the red grin is better. I'll have to find the perfect grin, I tried the cartoony ones with the teeth but the result was... not nice.

Ok. The Seele logo ones make me moist because it makes me think of Lilith on the cross in Central Dogma which is a major Eva visual for me, but I understand the black and red keys being the only ones like that is an issue.  Is there another way we can incorporate the angels in this? Perhaps a green on purple (for visibility) silhouette of Adam's embyro (Attachment Link) ?

Or one of the better known angels like Sachiel (Attachment Link) ?

And speaking of Sachiel, what do the kanji look like for the word "Berserk"? I know some other ones have been rejected, but was it due to SP limitations or did we just not feel it?

As suggested by simonyunhe it's "暴走" like what HolyOOPS uses. I don't know what to do with it, I can't style as it may change the meaning because I can't read it, and the japanese characters are so detailed... I tried looking for alternate fonts than the one that shipped with Windows but it was not a priority so I dropped it. HolyOOPS also has a Sachiel key I believe, that's why I didn't push the idea of the angels.

Lol wow. For some reason my brain did not connect "out of control" with "berserk" but it's obvious now. Awkward.

Yes HolyOOPS does have a Sachiel keycap, but there's other angels that are equally as iconic: Adam, Lillith, that one that Unit 01 eats whose name escapes me, Kaworu/Tabris, Ramiel. I doubt it's feasible because of the line width restrictions, but something that calls back to the Sephirotic System would be awesome too.

Anyway I love how this is turning out and I am definitely down for at least one of everything.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 16:37:29 »
Lol wow. For some reason my brain did not connect "out of control" with "berserk" but it's obvious now. Awkward.

Yes HolyOOPS does have a Sachiel keycap, but there's other angels that are equally as iconic: Adam, Lillith, that one that Unit 01 eats whose name escapes me, Kaworu/Tabris, Ramiel. I doubt it's feasible because of the line width restrictions, but something that calls back to the Sephirotic System would be awesome too.

Anyway I love how this is turning out and I am definitely down for at least one of everything.

Thanks for the support, I'll see what I can do about the angels since at the moment the Joker kit has more novelties. Here's an update on where we are now for the Eva kit.

I'll have to ask the Eva fans, would you like the Unit 1 badge to be on an orange keycap or a green one for consistency?

edit:
I made the Magi icon a bit smaller, thoughts? Oops, that red esc key was accidentally uploaded I was playing with the colors.

edited edit:

Some reference images for the angels:

This one looks simple enough:

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2015, 17:02:12 by thesiscamper »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:16:19 »
I'm leaning toward the larger Magi icon.  The added volume just seems a bit more visually impressive.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:34:08 »
I'm leaning toward the larger Magi icon.  The added volume just seems a bit more visually impressive.

I felt it was sticking out too much and made the size closer to the other legends.

edit:
Joker kit update:

The "HAHA" key isn't final, if SP says it's not possible I'll revert to the old design.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:14:56 by thesiscamper »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:48:46 »

I felt it was sticking out too much and made the size closer to the other legends.

edit:
Joker kit update:

Show Image

The "HAHA" key isn't final, if SP says it's not possible I'll revert to the old design.

Damn, that's looking really nice.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline just66in

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 22:18:43 »

edit:
Joker kit update:

Show Image

I'll be praying day & night that the updated Joker kit can be achieved by SP.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 22:19:46 »

edit:
Joker kit update:

Show Image

Damn, that's looking really nice.

Totally concur.  The JOKER key-set alone is the WINNER here without any doubt.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 23:22:22 »

edit:
Joker kit update:

Show Image

Ahhh, I see your point.  From that perspective, I can see the positives of the smaller design.  Honestly, it's not that huge a difference that I'd probably notice on a day-to-day basis.  I think it's more that you asked specifically about it and I took specific notice of it.

That said, I'm digging the HaHa keys so much that they're my first choice so long as they get made :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 00:16:10 »

edit:
Joker kit update:

Show Image

Ahhh, I see your point.  From that perspective, I can see the positives of the smaller design.  Honestly, it's not that huge a difference that I'd probably notice on a day-to-day basis.  I think it's more that you asked specifically about it and I took specific notice of it.

That said, I'm digging the HaHa keys so much that they're my first choice so long as they get made :D

I love the new HAHA keys. Maybe embolden the other novelties so they seem more alike? Not taking up the whole front like the HAHA ones, of course, but maybe just a smidge.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 00:58:08 »

Sorry I should've said why I changed it. I hope the HAHA keys are possible too :)

I love the new HAHA keys. Maybe embolden the other novelties so they seem more alike? Not taking up the whole front like the HAHA ones, of course, but maybe just a smidge.

Yeah I think I changed the ones in the 2D mock-up but haven't updated the ones in the 3D, thanks!

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
Re: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set [updated mockups/novelties]
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 11:58:00 »
Looks really awesome! Really awesome that you've chosen to split up the ISO and international kit for the UK buyers, and also those who use planck! On that note; will you add a planck kit? :)

Offline TheMalacoda

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 13:38:37 »

Thanks for the support, I'll see what I can do about the angels since at the moment the Joker kit has more novelties. Here's an update on where we are now for the Eva kit.

Show Image

I'll have to ask the Eva fans, would you like the Unit 1 badge to be on an orange keycap or a green one for consistency?

edit:
I made the Magi icon a bit smaller, thoughts? Oops, that red esc key was accidentally uploaded I was playing with the colors.

Show Image

edited edit:

Some reference images for the angels:

Show Image

This one looks simple enough:

Show Image

I still really love Sachiel for this since he's the first angel we see. It's also the first time we see Unit 01 go berserk, the first time Shinji gets in the robot, and the first time we get a glimmer of what it really means physically and mentally to pilot an Eva. However, the long nosed version of him is probably a bit too close to HolyOOPS version and maybe a bit long anyway. Like if you shrunk it to fit it would get distorted? I think the very last one you posted, the simple mask might be enough? With the cracks visible too would be even sweeter but line width rears its ugly head again.

I'm also digging the slightly smaller Magi and the orange Unit 01 keys. I even like the red escape with the white Nerv/GH logo you posted by accident. I think I may like that more than red logo on white... But then I seem to be the only person with opinions right now lol.

Offline WhitePlate

• First Grader of Nobody
Re: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set [updated mockups/novelties]
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 13:42:11 »
The set looks great. "Troubled Minds" is clever too

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 13:44:42 »
I still really love Sachiel for this since he's the first angel we see. It's also the first time we see Unit 01 go berserk, the first time Shinji gets in the robot, and the first time we get a glimmer of what it really means physically and mentally to pilot an Eva. However, the long nosed version of him is probably a bit too close to HolyOOPS version and maybe a bit long anyway. Like if you shrunk it to fit it would get distorted? I think the very last one you posted, the simple mask might be enough? With the cracks visible too would be even sweeter but line width rears its ugly head again.

I'm also digging the slightly smaller Magi and the orange Unit 01 keys. I even like the red escape with the white Nerv/GH logo you posted by accident. I think I may like that more than red logo on white... But then I seem to be the only person with opinions right now lol.

And this is why I never watch anime.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 14:28:23 »
Looks really awesome! Really awesome that you've chosen to split up the ISO and international kit for the UK buyers, and also those who use planck! On that note; will you add a planck kit? :)

Yes, I'm planning to add planck but I decided it would be better to have a finalized design before working on it :)

That's great since I'm planning to use that last image with the shorter "beak". I wanted to kinda separate the Joker from the Eva kit that's why I decided to use a white keycap, we'll see if there's more feedback, thanks!

edit:
I got a page of the "file requirements when ordering custom legends", not sure if there's more. Apparently, spacing needs to be 0.02" to 0.035", but the lines can be as thin as 0.012". Also the legend area seems to need a margin of about 0.12", I'll do a mockup later of what the HAHA key looks like with this new info.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 September 2015, 14:37:12 by thesiscamper »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 14:38:18 »
Inches... Fantastic...

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 23:19:01 »
Glad to see things moving along.  With zslane on DT looking at a Dasher themed SA set (or two), I might have my hands full with keycaps next year.  Not that I'm complaining.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 06:22:00 »

This would bring the total number of novelties to 18, 9 for each kit/theme. Is that too much?

Offline just66in

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 07:04:53 »
Simple and beautiful! I think 9 novelties per kit is alright.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 07:38:08 »
Show Image

BACKGROUND
Hi guys! I'm new to mechanical keyboards, about a couple of months into it. After learning of custom kits I wanted to create my own. This theme, oddly enough, started because the only Ducky Shine 2 on stock at the shop was one with green LEDs. So I wondered what looks good with green? Violet of course, courtesy of the Joker! The colors match Eva 001's and after some initial feedback I figured, why not make it work for both? I hope you guys like it as much as I do!

Thanks a lot to Wilba for his template, and livingspeedbump for his awesome assistance!

LINK TO THE POLL: http://goo.gl/forms/16LPo8NZ5q

SET INFO
Although the renders are SA profile, there are no details that are set in stone yet! I know SP currently has a few SA sets in the works and that making this SA would have a shipping date quite far in the future (probably April/May?)

Set will be SA ABS, doubleshot using RDE for purple, VAT for green, OAS for orange, RN for red, and WFR/WA for white.
Show Image

I'm now trying to finalize the novelties.

PROGRESS & UPDATES
  • IC Started on 9/18/15
  • Updated novelties on 9/19/15
  • Poll started, updated novelties render on 9/21/15
  • Poll reset, SA profile and purple on green mods chosen on 9/22/15
  • Poll closed, set name is "Troubled Minds"and legend process is doubleshot on 9/23/15
  • Designed new novelties, adjusted colors on 9/24/15 and 9/25/15
  • Finalized novelty kits (almost), updated 2D mockups on 9/26/15

SET RENDERS & CHILD DEALS (None are final!)
Base Kit
Show Image

Numpad Kit
Show Image

Novelties (Joker & EVA themed)
Show Image

ISO kit
Show Image

International Kit
Show Image

Adapter Kit
Show Image

DVORAK/Colemak Kit
Show Image

Color Modifier Kit
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for looking! Please leave any input/advice you have in the thread! I'm open to working with what the community wants!  :thumb: [/q]

Your renders are top of the line.
The control replacement for the capslock should go along with the capslock replacement for the bottom left corner, so maybe you should include also the 1.5u version of it, as well.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Show Image

This would bring the total number of novelties to 18, 9 for each kit/theme. Is that too much?
Looking good!

Not sure how others feel, but maybe keep the Joker face cap white instead of green? Not sure how badly that clashed, but I figured white to go with his clown face.

Offline simonyunhe

Show Image

Looking good!

Not sure how others feel, but maybe keep the Joker face cap white instead of green? Not sure how badly that clashed, but I figured white to go with his clown face.
+1
I also think about the white Joker face.
The new legend looks beautiful and I don't mind add one more novelty.
By the way, these kits are becoming better and better. Really into this one.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:46:26 »
The control replacement for the capslock should go along with the capslock replacement for the bottom left corner, so maybe you should include also the 1.5u version of it, as well.

Thanks! Can you clarify which kit you mean? I'm not very familiar with the keyboard layouts yet.

Looking good!

+1

I agree but it's one of the things I'm not sure about. If I change it I'll have to change the legend color to probably black and maybe after that I'd feel the same way about the other keys and change the colors too like before. Another thing I'm thinking about is which novelties go in pairs? Currently I'm thinking the Joker and Eva face shouldn't be a pair, so if they have just one key each it's easier to change the keycap/legend color as they won't affect the mood of the whole set by much. That would bring the total number of novelty keys to 16.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 15:00:08 »

Thanks! Can you clarify which kit you mean? I'm not very familiar with the keyboard layouts yet.

Looking good!

+1

I agree but it's one of the things I'm not sure about. If I change it I'll have to change the legend color to probably black and maybe after that I'd feel the same way about the other keys and change the colors too like before. Another thing I'm thinking about is which novelties go in pairs? Currently I'm thinking the Joker and Eva face shouldn't be a pair, so if they have just one key each it's easier to change the keycap/legend color as they won't affect the mood of the whole set by much. That would bring the total number of novelty keys to 16.

As for the Joker face cap, I think the black-on-white looked best, even if it clashed a bit with the rest of the keys. But I think it standing out is a good thing, so long as the other caps remain purple and green (except, of course, the Esc, Backspace, and/or Enter). To me the render of the purple-on-green Joker face looked a bit odd, but maybe it'll be better in person.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:22:39 »
As for the Joker face cap, I think the black-on-white looked best, even if it clashed a bit with the rest of the keys. But I think it standing out is a good thing, so long as the other caps remain purple and green (except, of course, the Esc, Backspace, and/or Enter). To me the render of the purple-on-green Joker face looked a bit odd, but maybe it'll be better in person.

What I'm planning to do is just include one Joker face, black on white (and just one Eva head), like I said it shouldn't affect the overall look much and a white keycap is also more faithful to the character. That would also bring down the number of novelties to 8 each kit. I'll update the 2D mockups later, thanks!

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:41:55 »
I think the joker face looks best as black on white as well.

Really great job by the way.

Offline just66in

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:16:44 »
Yeah, keeping the Joker face white wld mean more sense to the title "Joker kit" however I personally think that green kinda seems more "in place" with the color scheme for the set. Whichever the conclusion, this is a sure get set for me

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 07:36:38 »
I'll render a 3D mockup when I have time, for now here's a 2D mockup:

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 08:11:02 »

Show Image

I need this in my life. Good job!!  :thumb:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 08:12:57 »

Show Image

I have no idea what's happening at the top, but I love the bottom.

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:52:30 »

Show Image

Dang!!!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:57:31 »
i want this for alps, cylindricals :D
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:06:38 »
i want this for alps, cylindricals :D

Alps SA profile - we can dream

Offline TheMalacoda

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 12:17:48 »

Show Image

It's so good I die!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 14:49:22 »
Here's an update guys, let me know what you think :)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 15:22:07 »

Oh my...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 15:25:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Offline admgc

Re: [IC] Joker/Eva inspired set
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 01:25:10 »
Seriously, these are the best renders I've seen. I thought it was a complete set when first I saw it.

Same here - fantastic renders. Good work!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:46:48 »

Show Image

My love will always be with the JOKER, grew up with him, appreciated his efforts to constantly foil the caped crusader.

You've done really good with this, taken this famous colour-way into a whole new experience for fans everywhere.  Major comic stores should be selling your key-caps, that is how good your design currently is.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:48:45 by Elrick »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:52:56 »

Show Image

My love will always be with the JOKER, grew up with him, appreciated his efforts to constantly foil the caped crusader.

You've done really good with this, taken this famous colour-way into a whole new experience for fans everywhere.  Major comic stores should be selling your key-caps, that is how good your design currently is.

I can tell that this is going to be a set that future geekhackers /keyboard enthusiasts are going to go crazy trying to find and will never stop begging for a round 2  :))

Offline just66in

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:39:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

:eek:
It's perfect!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 07:11:22 »
Thanks a lot guys for the awesome feedback, you helped a lot with the design too. Right now I'm just waiting for Melissa's reply, her first one was a somewhat generic "it's not possible because guidelines" but I showed her recent designs with legends that almost touch the edges like Sci-Fi, Carbon and Jukebox to name a few.

Offline cwils0n

• twiggletwaggle
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 07:18:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Honestly, one of the best sets I've seen.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Show Image

I can tell that this is going to be a set that future geekhackers /keyboard enthusiasts are going to go crazy trying to find and will never stop begging for a round 2  :))
This. I'm considering ordering TWO sets of everything!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder

Show Image

All the best sets deserve at least two orders

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist

Show Image

As a minimum, you always order TWO of EVERYTHING when you're here on Geekhack  8) .

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder

Show Image

As a minimum, you always order TWO of EVERYTHING when you're here on Geekhack  8) .

I wish I could order two of everything, I'm on that broke college budget right now. I'm still scheming everyday on how to spend my money on keyboards lol.  :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Still clarifying stuff with Melissa at SP, while I'm waiting for more conrcrete info I've rendered some new angles and here's one of them:

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Still clarifying stuff with Melissa at SP, while I'm waiting for more conrcrete info I've rendered some new angles and here's one of them:

Show Image

Looks awesome! But this might be the closest we'll ever get to a real SA Row 4 shift.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps