Author Topic: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set - Up on Massdrop!  (Read 131813 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Still clarifying stuff with Melissa at SP, while I'm waiting for more conrcrete info I've rendered some new angles and here's one of them:

Show Image

How the ass do you get these renders?!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Stoked for this GB. Finally gonna pickup a set of SA. Great renders really help too :D

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Still clarifying stuff with Melissa at SP, while I'm waiting for more conrcrete info I've rendered some new angles and here's one of them:

Show Image

Looks awesome! But this might be the closest we'll ever get to a real SA Row 4 shift.

Well, we could 3D print our own :)

Show Image

It is my line of work, and those are just drafts, you can clearly see the noise. Cleaning it up will take a lot longer :)

Stoked for this GB. Finally gonna pickup a set of SA. Great renders really help too :D

I'm glad you guys like it, hopefully this becomes a reality.

Here's a render for the Eva kit:

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net

You can see more of his work in the Alpine Winter OP. Good stuff!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder

Show Image

Looks awesome! But this might be the closest we'll ever get to a real SA Row 4 shift.

Show Image

It is my line of work, and those are just drafts, you can clearly see the noise. Cleaning it up will take a lot longer :)

Show Image

Holy crap these renders have become amazing in the last month or so

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Soon it will become expected that all group buys include lifelike renders.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So far I've only seen the renders for SA profile sets - they don't exist in Cherry profile yet do they?

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 18:14:42 by swimmingbird »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So far I've only seen the renders for SA profile sets - they doesn't exist in Cherry profile yet do they?
Check out Alpine Winter in my sig. I've got some DCS renders that thesiscamper made for me.

BTW I think Danger Zone is actually a Photoshop composite, not a true 3D render.

My boards:
More

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
So far I've only seen the renders for SA profile sets - they doesn't exist in Cherry profile yet do they?

I have models for DSA, SA, OEM and just recently I made DCS for njbair. I believe Cherry is very close to the last two I mentioned, I've been rendering SA almost exclusively because that's the profile for this set. At the moment sphericals fascinate me because I haven't seen one in person, I've only ever seen cylindrical keys all my life.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

I have models for DSA, SA, OEM and just recently I made DCS for njbair. I believe Cherry is very close to the last two I mentioned, I've been rendering SA almost exclusively because that's the profile for this set. At the moment sphericals fascinate me because I haven't seen one in person, I've only ever seen cylindrical keys all my life.
I feel like if someone's seen your renders, they've seen spherical caps.

My boards:
More

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

Thanks for the compliment! By the way I'm intrigued by the Alps/Matias switches, maybe we can design another set for Alps one of these days :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

Thanks for the compliment! By the way I'm intrigued by the Alps/Matias switches, maybe we can design another set for Alps one of these days :)
Sounds like fun, but I think it will be a while before I'm ready to lead another GB.

Just curious, do your 3D models actually have switches and stems?

My boards:
More

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

Sounds like fun, but I think it will be a while before I'm ready to lead another GB.

Just curious, do your 3D models actually have switches and stems?

Not these ones, but the ones I did for Alpine Winter have switches and stabilizers, no stems though.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
Do you plan on releasing two sets of keycaps (1 Eva and 1 Joker) or do you plan on 1 big set?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Do you plan on releasing two sets of keycaps (1 Eva and 1 Joker) or do you plan on 1 big set?

Basekit with the basic colorway, and separate child deals for Joker and Eva so you can get both of them or only one of them. That's the current plan anyway.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans

Basekit with the basic colorway, and separate child deals for Joker and Eva so you can get both of them or only one of them. That's the current plan anyway.

Do you plan on making the keys have the same back-lit effect as the EVA Noctilucous PBT 104-Keyset?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

Do you plan on making the keys have the same back-lit effect as the EVA Noctilucous PBT 104-Keyset?
Nope it's doubleshot so no backlit legends.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist

Wallet is now waiting for this, so don't tease her for too long before she loses interest and chases another key-set elsewhere  8) .

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

Wallet is now waiting for this, so don't tease her for too long before she loses interest and chases another key-set elsewhere  8) .
I'm just waiting for Melissa's confirmation that the HaHa key is possible, that's the only thing holding this back right now :)

Offline just66in

Yeah, really hope that the Haha key is possible. Keeping for gers crossed! Btw, your renders are truly "next levelled".

Offline tofgerl

So this is 1-1-2-3-3-4? Or are the renders wrong...?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
1-1-2-3-4-4, I just based the models on Googled images and accuracy was not high on the list when I first did it. I'm constantly improving the model so if you have suggestions to make them better that would be great :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
1-1-2-3-4-4, I just based the models on Googled images and accuracy was not high on the list when I first did it. I'm constantly improving the model so if you have suggestions to make them better that would be great :)
Take a look at Hack'd by Geeks, which used a full-contour profile: 3-1-2-3-4-3.

My boards:
More

Offline tofgerl

Gorgeous set:

Offline nosage

I would also prefer 3-1-2-3-4-3, but will be picking up this set regardless!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
Gorgeous set:

Show Image

Can confirm. Am a geek.

My boards:
More

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Take a look at Hack'd by Geeks, which used a full-contour profile: 3-1-2-3-4-3.
I honestly have no idea how one would be better than the other and "used" 1-1-2-3-4-4 for this set because it made the most sense for a beginner like me, as in "this is how this profile was intended to be used".

I'd like to know the pros and cons of either layout.

Offline tofgerl

Having 4 at the bottom will hurt your thumbs.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

That is a very compelling argument :D

Offline tofgerl

Yes it is ☺

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
Pretty much. SA is a very steep profile. I don't know how it was designed to be used, but having flat keys on the bottom row instead of pointy ones is definitely more finger-friendly.

Row 3 on the function row is nice because you get more novelties in row 3, and that's usually the row where keyboard bling goes.

My boards:
More

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Pretty much. SA is a very steep profile. I don't know how it was designed to be used, but having flat keys on the bottom row instead of pointy ones is definitely more finger-friendly.

Row 3 on the function row is nice because you get more novelties in row 3, and that's usually the row where keyboard bling goes.

Unless someone else presents a convincing argument for other layout/s I guess it will be 3-1-2-3-4-3, thanks a lot!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder

As a Penumbra set user (1-2-3-3-3-4) who keeps their board very flat I can say that: No, it won't. The spacebar is Row 3 no matter what you choose for the other bottom row caps and symmetrical and is a lot nicer to use than DCS profile or even Cherry profile. In fact since I use my pinkies for Ctrl and Fn, I find I prefer Row 4 mods on the bottom row. However, I don't use Alt much, but I still find the angle of Row 4 subtle enough so my thumbs don't hit the edge.

jdcarpe, the designer of the Hack'd by Geeks set said that if he knew at the time that SP could do Row 4 bottom row mods, Hack'd would have had them.

Having the Fn row and number row with the same profile allows you to use the Esc on the number row for 60% boards, but it's just one extra cap if you choose to have them different. I don't really like how R3 Fn row looks if you have R1 number row, so I prefer to have them both R1 personally.

1-1-2-3-4-4 is a standard across all "normal" sculpted profiles (OEM, Cherry, DCS, etc), so I don't see why it shouldn't also be used for SA. IMHO, the only reason to use R3 on the top row is for novelties...

It's mostly personal preference, really. I think most would be happy with either 3-1-2-3-4-3 OR 1-1-2-3-4-4 OR 3-1-2-3-4-4... As long as the centre part is 1-2-3-4.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

As a Penumbra set user (1-2-3-3-3-4) who keeps their board very flat I can say that: No, it won't. The spacebar is Row 3 no matter what you choose for the other bottom row caps and symmetrical and is a lot nicer to use than DCS profile or even Cherry profile. In fact since I use my pinkies for Ctrl and Fn, I find I prefer Row 4 mods on the bottom row. However, I don't use Alt much, but I still find the angle of Row 4 subtle enough so my thumbs don't hit the edge.

jdcarpe, the designer of the Hack'd by Geeks set said that if he knew at the time that SP could do Row 4 bottom row mods, Hack'd would have had them.

Having the Fn row and number row with the same profile allows you to use the Esc on the number row for 60% boards, but it's just one extra cap if you choose to have them different. I don't really like how R3 Fn row looks if you have R1 number row, so I prefer to have them both R1 personally.

1-1-2-3-4-4 is a standard across all "normal" sculpted profiles (OEM, Cherry, DCS, etc), so I don't see why it shouldn't also be used for SA. IMHO, the only reason to use R3 on the top row is for novelties...

It's mostly personal preference, really. I think most would be happy with either 3-1-2-3-4-3 OR 1-1-2-3-4-4 OR 3-1-2-3-4-4... As long as the centre part is 1-2-3-4.

These are good points, too.

My boards:
More

Offline tofgerl

I've never understood why different row profiles couldn't be child deals. Perhaps because not enough people cares, so they wouldn't hit MOQ. Anyway, having a 1-1-2-3-4-3 standard kit and a R3 function row and a 7-key R4 mod-kit shouldn't be too hard?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
For reference:

All Row 3: Nuclear Data, 1976, Symbiosis, Danger Zone
1-2-3-3-3-4: Commando, Penumbra
1-1-2-3-4-3: Round 5 Sphericals (7bit's massive GB)
3-1-2-3-4-3: Round 4 Sphericals, PuLSE SA, Hack'd by Geeks, Modern Selectric
1-1-2-3-4-4: Jukebox, Retro SA, Carbon

I use Penumbra and Hack'd by Geeks on my "daily driver" boards.

As an example to compare to the image above of Hack'd, here's one of Retro so you can see how the R1 F keys look:

Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
For reference:

As an example to compare to the image above of Hack'd, here's one of Retro so you can see how the R1 F keys look:

Show Image

I love my Retro SA set, but yeah, I can't stand those huge 1 Esc/Fn row caps. They look really weird and awkward.

Offline Niomosy

Out of curiosity, how would a row 4 space bar work out for those like me that have a negative tilt on their keyboards?  I put a wrist wrest under the front of mine so it's raised in the front.  Row 4 space bars would seem to have a greater likelihood of problems there.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder

Out of curiosity, how would a row 4 space bar work out for those like me that have a negative tilt on their keyboards?  I put a wrist wrest under the front of mine so it's raised in the front.  Row 4 space bars would seem to have a greater likelihood of problems there.

SP doesn't make Row 4 spacebars for SA profile. I have a problem even with slight positive tilt and DCS Row 4 spacebars (I think these are the ones that led to the spaceflipping - flipping the spacebar upside down- phenomenon?), but Cherry profile is a bit shallower angle, similar to SA Row 4 and that's acceptable to me up to completely flat. I think you'll be fine with the standard Row 3 SA spacebar and negative tilt, although you may prefer Row 3 mods to Row 4.

Here's a better picture to see the profile angles:

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 13:23:17 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Niomosy

SP doesn't make Row 4 spacebars for SA profile. I have a problem even with slight positive tilt and DCS Row 4 spacebars, but Cherry profile is a bit shallower angle, similar to SA Row 4 and that's acceptable to me up to completely flat. I think you'll be fine with the standard Row 3 SA spacebar and negative tilt, although you may prefer Row 3 mods to Row 4.

Here's a better picture to see the profile angles:

Show Image

Great info and the picture does help.  I wasn't sure on how SP handled the spacebars so I figured I'd ask the generic question.  Good to know that it's row 3.  I was also suspecting that row 3 would be easier on a negative tilt keyboard than row 4 but thought I'd ask.

Offline Data

For reference:

Show Image

Nice.

I wonder how 1-2-2-3-3-4 would look/feel.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

Thank you for the very informative reply! Unfortunately I'm more confused which one to use now, I've been leaning towards 1-1-2-3-4-4 from the beginning until a few hours ago, then 3-1-2-3-4-3, but now I'm not sure again. It's a very subjective topic that I can't relate to because I have no experience with it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Thank you for the very informative reply! Unfortunately I'm more confused which one to use now, I've been leaning towards 1-1-2-3-4-4 from the beginning until a few hours ago, then 3-1-2-3-4-3, but now I'm not sure again. It's a very subjective topic that I can't relate to because I have no experience with it.

3-1-2-3-4-3 Seems like the "best" option, but all I have in SA profile is Retro SA.
Maybe do a poll?

Update:
Anyone have a HiPro? Their row layout seems similar to the above.

112547-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:38:38 by romevi »

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
FYI, Melissa is not at work, she said the answer to my query won't come until Monday.

Offline just66in

FYI, Melissa is not at work, she said the answer to my query won't come until Monday.

Thanks for the update. I can't share any opinion on other SA height profiles as similarly to you, have know tried 112344 and I can see how the spacebar row being height 3 wld actually avoid the cornered contoured height 4.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders

Thanks for the update. I can't share any opinion on other SA height profiles as similarly to you, have know tried 112344 and I can see how the spacebar row being height 3 wld actually avoid the cornered contoured height 4.

After Oobly chimed in I believe no thumbs would be hurt by R4 bottom rows, especially if you raise the rear feet or use a palm rest.  Most people would only ever use the thumb on the spacebar (R3 either way) and Alt keys. I haven't decided yet, but leaning toward the more traditional 1-1-2-3-4-4 again.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Gorgeous set:

Show Image

On a plain Filco it makes it look really unique and every stranger will stop to look at your NEW keyboard.

The essence of Geekhack, transforming everyone's keyboard into a Utopian Dream  ;) .

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Poll is up for row numbering, login required  :thumb:

http://goo.gl/forms/IP9ZGg9BkV

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] "Troubled Minds" - a Joker/Eva01 inspired set [Poll for row numbering]
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 02:35:12 »
Another option (although it could be controversial) is to use Row 3 Alt keys and Row 4 for the other bottom row mods, but that limits the 1.25x novelty cap usage a bit.

I think the poll is a good idea.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline just66in

Poll is up for row numbering, login required  :thumb:

http://goo.gl/forms/IP9ZGg9BkV

Thanks for another poll. I'm definitely leaning to 112344 as I don't face any existing issue with my SA in that height. On the other hand, I've never owned a 312343 haha. The theme basically, gosh, its too "sick" to miss. I'll have them in ANY profile order under the SA family  :D