Author Topic: [IC] Photo quality graphics on switch plate  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
[IC] Photo quality graphics on switch plate
« on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:41:15 »
First a little background info.  The company my wife (Alexiss) works for, American Color Imaging, has the ability to print photos onto sheets of aluminum.  Though a couple cavets.  They have one supplier, and they can only get certain shapes and sizes, and only from this one supplier.  From what Alexiss tells me, the aluminum has a special coating and the image is dye subbed onto the substrate.

Well, Mark, the owner of ACI, is talking about buying a CNC machine to cut their own aluminum for this product.

Here in lies my question.  How many would even be interested in having photo lab quality graphics printed onto a switch plate. 

For the record, the wife and I already have two of their metal prints and the image quality in nothing short of amazing.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
Re: [IC] Photo quality graphics on switch plate
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:44:11 »
It would be nice on a Infinity :) sound interesting on me though. Could you get some sample pics?

Offline ika

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:49:51 »
What would the cost be? It sounds very interesting but how much better is it than a regular plate with a vinyl skin slapped on top?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:51:10 »
It would be nice on a Infinity :) sound interesting on me though. Could you get some sample pics?

They don't have the machines yet to cut their own material.  This thread was just to gauge interest in the idea.  Like I mentioned in the OP, they already have metal prints.  https://acilab.com/products/specialty/metal-prints/
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:53:22 »
What would the cost be? It sounds very interesting but how much better is it than a regular plate with a vinyl skin slapped on top?

Check the link in my previous post.  Compare image quality of a standard picture to vinyl skins. 

As far as cost, I can't speak for cost of getting plates cut as they don't have a machine yet, but the 16x20 that we have cost me $56

Offline jbondeson

[IC] Photo quality graphics on switch plate
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:20:33 »
I think Zorox is onto something. If we had access to a metal bender these would be some seriously first rate bent cases.

Edit: bender not better
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:24:54 by jbondeson »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:43:41 »
I think Zorox is onto something. If we had access to a metal bender these would be some seriously first rate bent cases.

I can pretty much guarantee that they will not be doing bent plates.  They are a photo lab that is possibly buying equipment to cut out a certain supplier.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 20:52:07 »
I think this sounds very cool. I have seen some photos printed on metal before and they are quite amazing looking.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 22:08:06 »

I can pretty much guarantee that they will not be doing bent plates.  They are a photo lab that is possibly buying equipment to cut out a certain supplier.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant a two-stage process. Print and cut the flat oversized plates, then do the bending after with someone who has access to one.

It'd definitely be pricey, but you'd definitely get the effect more than a 90% covered plate.

Offline Data

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 22:15:39 »
Keyboard plates are typically full of holes for switches and covered nearly completely by key caps unless you're working on them.  What would you print on one that would potentially make it worth the extra cost, only to be hidden beneath cases and caps?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 23:03:20 »
It seems like this would be interesting for the bottom plate on say a jd40 or similar style board.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 23:43:09 »
First a little background info.  The company my wife (Alexiss) works for, American Color Imaging, has the ability to print photos onto sheets of aluminum.  Though a couple cavets.  They have one supplier, and they can only get certain shapes and sizes, and only from this one supplier.  From what Alexiss tells me, the aluminum has a special coating and the image is dye subbed onto the substrate.

Well, Mark, the owner of ACI, is talking about buying a CNC machine to cut their own aluminum for this product.

Here in lies my question.  How many would even be interested in having photo lab quality graphics printed onto a switch plate. 

For the record, the wife and I already have two of their metal prints and the image quality in nothing short of amazing.

pictures or it didnt happen.  :P

its an interesting idea.  my only issue with the idea i that you never will see it and the switches take up so much room that the graphic would be pretty pointless.  i do think that if you created a sandwich case, putting a graphic on the bottom plate could be pretty cool.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 23:43:33 »
It seems like this would be interesting for the bottom plate on say a jd40 or similar style board.

apparently you and i had the same idea.  :P

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 01:00:53 »
Sounds cool, but I have no idea what to put on those plates.

Maybe someone can make a cool geekhack themed design?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 15:15:03 »
definitely interested

Offline tbc

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 17:45:47 »

so much this
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:43:44 »
Metal prints are definitely something to look at! A friend of mine has a family photo on aluminum mounted on their wall instead of using a standard photo. The aluminum printed photos look really, really good.

My main concern would be how much you would see with a switch plate. I don't think a picture would necessarily come through with the switches blocking most of it. In which case, I think some sort of cool pattern would look very, very good.

I think the bottom plate printing sounds awesome though, if that is a viable option.