Author Topic: Recovering old folders.dbx info?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline haunting41

Recovering old folders.dbx info?
« on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 13:39:36 »
I am running Outlook Express 5 under Win2k Pro.  My folders.dbx file became corrupt so I followed the Knowledge Base instructions on removing it (I made a back-up).  When Outlook restarted, all my files and directories were there, but the directory structure had disappeared, so they all appeared under "Local Folders" rather than in the complex directory and sub-directory structure I have created over the last 4 years.  I have over 2100 separate directories and so recreating the directory structure could take an extremely long time... on the order of several days that I don't have.

My goal is to either be able to read the old folders.dbx file so that I at least have a way to see where the folders belonged or, preferably, get the data back.

Any assistance in solving this problem will be _very_ much appreciated.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Re: Recovering old folders.dbx info?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 14:10:35 »
Is the data there but the folder structure is not? If so, then you know where all of your original data files are located? If that's the case you should be able to get the folder structure back by importing the original account/files instead of just copying them into the new account directory.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Re: Recovering old folders.dbx info?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 14:11:39 »
If you need to recover some dbx files you may have luck with PhotoRec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
SSKs for everyone!