Author Topic: [IC] Pokemon Keyset 3 color options in 1 set!  (Read 6129 times)

Offline ManicMatt1125

[IC] Pokemon Keyset 3 color options in 1 set!
« on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:31:33 »
Hello,
       I wanted to Gauge interest for a Pokemon themed key set. My idea is that I will offer the base set, with the option to buy any of the 3 color, so theroetically you can have 3 different colored key sets, for hopefully a very reasonable price. I am going to do a pokeball, great ball and master ball. . If you are interested, feel free to throw out any ideas or recommendations. I have never posted an interest check so all I am bringing to this is an idea.

Prices are for Signature Plastic SA profile

Set price will include the black and white keys, as well as 3 sets of the colored keys, red, blue and purple. Seems pretty affordable if we can get enough interested.

25 sets                   $171.48 per set

50 sets                   $132.30 per set

75 sets                   $119.25 per set

100 sets                 $112.72 per set

150 sets                 $106.19 per set

200 sets                 $102.92 per set

250 sets                 $100.96 per set

Total keys are:

1 x 6.25
136 x 1
3 x 2
2 x 1.5
2 x 2.25
1 x 1.75
1 x 2.75
7 x 1.25

Rows are:

ROW 1 - Function keys
ROW 1 - Number row
ROW 2 - QWERTY row
ROW 3 - ASDFG row
ROW 4 - ZXCVB row (with the exception of SHIFT keys that are row 3)
ROW 4 - Modifier row

Mock Up - Getting there, Work in progress!

A few ideas. Please note that these are using GMK colors and will most likely be a spherical profile, Im assuming they can do custom lettering, someone correct me if I am wrong. This should be free from any IP copyright laws. What ya think?

112995-0112997-1112999-2
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:02:05 by ManicMatt1125 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [IC] Pokemon Keyset
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 15:06:53 »
GMK doesn't do custom legends, so if you want to do a Pokemon-themed keyset you only really have colors to work with. And GMK doesn't have a ton of colors, either. My first thought would be red, black, and white (pokeball colors). Something like this:

112678-0

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 17:44:20 »
Ok, assuming I go with signature plastics, is this something you guys would be interested in?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 18:56:57 »
Ok, assuming I go with signature plastics, is this something you guys would be interested in?
I think if you want people to see this and respond to it, you need to mock something up and post an image in the OP. Unfortunately people don't read, they just look at pictures.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Delirious

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 20:01:44 »
I play pokemon on and off since stally GSC on mIRC to battlenet to now pokemonshowdown/smogon so I am definitely interested in this. Just a suggestion instead of pokeball you can also try generation colors.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 21:25:51 »
Added a very rough mockup, using a pokeball AND generation colors.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:38:08 »
Have you seen this Pokemon keyboard?

My boards:
More

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 08:56:15 »
I think if you want people to see this and respond to it, you need to mock something up and post an image in the OP. Unfortunately people don't read, they just look at pictures.
And at the end of the day even if I like the "theme" of a set the colors are the deciding factor on if I buy it, so I agree mockups even at this stage are pretty important
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline just66in

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 09:44:08 »
Liking the idea however the picture in the OP isn't that appealing. The link provided by njbair looks like an expensive set as it's almost 90% novelties full!

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 09:49:17 »
Liking the idea however the picture in the OP isn't that appealing. The link provided by njbair looks like an expensive set as it's almost 90% novelties full!
Thanks, that's the feedback I'm looking for. I do like the idea of making each pokemon a specific key. Let me see what I can come up with.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 09:52:09 »
Surely this is an intellectual property minefield that SP will steer well clear of. Nintendo aren't exactly understanding about these kinds of things.

edit: njbair's mock up looks damn cool though. I suppose pokeball colours must be quite safe.

« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 09:57:50 by stoic-lemon »

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:31:41 »
Ok, with IP copyrights laws in mind, I feel I was able to capture not only colors but the general game feel. Please see OP again and let me know what you think!

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: [IC] Pokemon Keyset With Mock-ups
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 00:46:02 »
The new mockups are definitely a step in the right direction. However, I really don't like the Pokemon types on the keys and the themed text either. Others might, though. Perhaps as an add on set that people can opt into? Another idea could be an add on set with the type symbols.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 04:00:21 »
GMK doesn't do custom legends, so if you want to do a Pokemon-themed keyset you only really have colors to work with. And GMK doesn't have a ton of colors, either. My first thought would be red, black, and white (pokeball colors). Something like this:

(Attachment Link)

A set like this or with Master Ball colours would be awesome

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 04:04:51 »

(Attachment Link)

A set like this or with Master Ball colours would be awesome

Yeah I really think the colour combination speaks for itself. The red and blue versions look great. I'd be all over a blank set in DSA.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:12:55 »
I was just thinking of doing a set like this! Probably not GMK, though. I was debating either Unown fonts or the typeface used in their logo, whatever it is.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:23:10 »
What do you think of the mockup? I haven't played with font at all yet

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:25:33 »
What do you think of the mockup? I haven't played with font at all yet

The colors are good. The legends need some work, but I see where you're going! Maybe use standard letters instead of the full Pokemon type, and keep the colors so they're distinguished?

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:37:07 »
That's a great idea, I will rework it when I get home

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:13:30 »
It's actually a font called pokemon. I'm assuming that this will have to be an SP production since I will be using custom font?
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:12:21 by ManicMatt1125 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [IC] Pokemon Keyset 3 color options in 1 set!
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:38:55 »
It's actually a font called pokemon. I'm assuming that this will have to be an SP production since I will be using custom font?
Yes, but are you planning to use the typeface I think you're going to use? Or the one in the mockups?

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:42:55 »
Yes, but are you planning to use the typeface I think you're going to use? Or the one in the mockups?

I plan on using, http://www.dafont.com/pokemon.font I just havent had a chance to figure out how to incorporate the font into the mock up

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:51:20 »

I plan on using, http://www.dafont.com/pokemon.font I just havent had a chance to figure out how to incorporate the font into the mock up

This is going to cost a lot to get all those custom legends. Most designs that hit well are subtle yet bold. A Pokemon keycap design with Pokemon legends is a bit much and might not be able to woo too many people for the high cost of all the custom legends.

Personally I think this is a better execution at making a Pokemon inspired keyboard.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:53:41 »
I sound like a really negative Nancy, but this stuff needs to be said at the IC stage. I would not be interested if that were the font for the legends. If I am in the minority, then rock on.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:58:23 »
I sound like a really negative Nancy, but this stuff needs to be said at the IC stage. I would not be interested if that were the font for the legends. If I am in the minority, then rock on.

Right now, I am just sorta brain storming here. I came in with a half cocked idea and am VERY open to ideas/suggestions. If I don't get feedback, positive or negative then I will build a set no one but myself buys...

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:04:05 »

Right now, I am just sorta brain storming here. I came in with a half cocked idea and am VERY open to ideas/suggestions. If I don't get feedback, positive or negative then I will build a set no one but myself buys...

Good to hear. It's hard not to come off as a hater. I like the idea of a base set and the top colours being options.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:05:47 »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid you were using. It's a neat novelty typeface which works for the logos, but personally not something I'd put on my keyboard.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:07:58 »
I will work on getting the mockups to better reflect the idea in my head, font included

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:54:13 »
Update on pricing, see OP