geekhack Community > Ergonomics

touch typing asymmetry

(1/3) > >>

msiegel:
(note: see also this thread)

I'm beginning to learn to touch type, and have discovered that on a standard-layout keyboard, the regions of keys assigned to each hand are *nowhere near* symmetrical.

In fact, the left hand's fingers flex and extend almost exactly the "wrong" way, compared to the right hand.

I'm irritated and a little worried about how bizarrely unbalanced the standard design is.

Attached: a picture I drew to help calm me down :)

majestouch:
From the standpoint of memorization a symmetrical board makes some sense...yes, but I'm not sure the standard asymmetry of keyboards is mechanically disadvantageous.

How many symmetrical tools do we use? Or how often do we use tools with 2 hands operating the same motion? Can we play guitar or shoot billiards with the same skill both left and right handed?

The motor control of our left and right appendages, and in general our mind, are naturally asymmetrical. We have a dominant eye, hand, leg, etc. So making a tool that allows us to use the left and right sides of our bodies work well in concert and to the highest effect our brains can manage is probably the best balance we can achieve.

nanu:
One could then argue for having a second mouse on the other side. What?

Rajagra:

--- Quote from: majestouch;156707 ---From the standpoint of memorization a symmetrical board makes some sense...
--- End quote ---

Symmetry is good for learning, but I believe the traditional typing method is easier to teach, because it is dumbed down. Not much to explain here, it is a consistent slope with no exceptions (apart from the huge number of keys serviced by the right pinky):

And since the teachers dictate how learning is done rather than the pupils, we have ended up with an inferior standard.

platon:

--- Quote from: nanu;156710 ---One could then argue for having a second mouse on the other side. What?
--- End quote ---

Actually that is how my setup is right now, both at work and at home. I am right handed and the mouse is on the left side of the keyboard.

Try it out it is easier than it sounds. The brain adjusts in days and you feel a bit smarter for using the other side of the brain more.

Major benefit from having the mouse to the left is that the numeric keypad is no longer in the way and the home row keys can be centered to the screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version