Author Topic: Alphagrip  (Read 3198 times)

Offline bbbbqq

Alphagrip
« on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 05:36:05 »
Seems to be very little info on this, and having the wrist pain I do, I'd like to know more:
- How does it feel in the hand compared to, say, an xbox controller ?
- Layout is somewhat different from a regular keyboard, how long are we talking to re-learn ? I've been typing QWERTY ever since i've had a computer
- How does one scroll with it ? I see a trackball, but no scroll functions
- I type on a normal keyboard at about 90wpm, what can I expect after some learning with the alphagrip ?
- How do the keys feel ?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Alphagrip
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 06:40:36 »
Quote from: bbbbqq;496677
Seems to be very little info on this, and having the wrist pain I do, I'd like to know more:
- How does it feel in the hand compared to, say, an xbox controller ?
- Layout is somewhat different from a regular keyboard, how long are we talking to re-learn ? I've been typing QWERTY ever since i've had a computer
- How does one scroll with it ? I see a trackball, but no scroll functions
- I type on a normal keyboard at about 90wpm, what can I expect after some learning with the alphagrip ?
- How do the keys feel ?

The learning curve I've seen with Alphagrip is dependent on the person. I took to it quickly, but two people I know are much more moderate. One only uses it at night surfing the web, and the other only uses it occasionally.

As far as the layout, I can't help you, I use a Kinesis Advantage keyboard and type with the Colemak layout. I'm not a good example for you to use :)

Scrolling: There are a few ways to scroll. Press green shift and C-up/L-down. There is page up/down and left/right with red shift  R and K. You use the red or the green shift keys.

I don't check my speed with anything, so I can't tell you other than to say Alphagrip is not a the fastest way to input key strokes. Several people on the forums have indicated they are around 60wpm.

It is said the  keys are about 55 grams, but they feel lighter. They are not clicky.

It is very solid, you can throw it, it's that tough.

I had gotten several of theses for the mods I was going to do. But I sold one, still have one for sale, and going to add programming and wireless all to one unit.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Alphagrip
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 07:23:45 »
Interesting, I hadn't heard about this device.  Maybe I should buy one just to play with it if nothing else.  I do also have a computer set up on my exercise bike that this might come in handy for.

Depending on your use model you might try voice recognition to help with your wrist pain. It works very well for me, and I'm on the Mac which has an inferior Dragon Dictate product compared to Windows.

EDIT: I don't know what kind of keys they use but the keys on an playstation type controller (Microsoft brand) I got for gaming on my kids computer are crappy. They feel high quality but one of them crapped out after a year and sticks now. I'd assume they're using the same key technology here so that is something to consider.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2012, 08:01:41 by Architect »
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Alphagrip
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 08:44:17 »
Quote from: input nirvana;496695
I had gotten several of theses for the mods I was going to do. But I sold one, still have one for sale, and going to add programming and wireless all to one unit.

How are you going to do the wireless?

Offline appie747

Alphagrip
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 11:56:18 »
Hi, I've got one for sale! There is a learning curve, I must say. I'm not using it anymore.
Kinesis Freestyle Incline (work), Compaq MX 11800 (browns), AlphaGrip AG-5 FOR SALE! (home)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Alphagrip
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 12:30:24 »
http://www.keyboardmods.com/search/label/kinesis

This is a link I have in the Split Kinesis Mod article. I need to reconnect with him and hopefully get the info. He has been working on a variety of projects (Kinesis, Alphagrip, Magic Trackpads, etc.). He uses wireless modules, synaptics touchpads/ttrackpoints, etc.

The quality of the unit is high, very good build. They only make them in limited runs. Mike, the owner/inventor is a detail/quality kind of guy. They are awesome units, but not for everybody and not for everything. They need a U-joint in the middle (sort of like a split keyboard) lol

Hi Appie! Haven't heard from you in a while!
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 January 2012, 12:33:48 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Alphagrip
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 17:12:42 »

That reminds me of a shipping quote...
;)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline bbbbqq

Alphagrip
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 03:44:41 »
The learning curve I've seen with Alphagrip is dependent on the person. I took to it quickly, but two people I know are much more moderate. One only uses it at night surfing the web, and the other only uses it occasionally.

As far as the layout, I can't help you, I use a Kinesis Advantage keyboard and type with the Colemak layout. I'm not a good example for you to use :)

Scrolling: There are a few ways to scroll. Press green shift and C-up/L-down. There is page up/down and left/right with red shift  R and K. You use the red or the green shift keys.

I don't check my speed with anything, so I can't tell you other than to say Alphagrip is not a the fastest way to input key strokes. Several people on the forums have indicated they are around 60wpm.

It is said the  keys are about 55 grams, but they feel lighter. They are not clicky.

It is very solid, you can throw it, it's that tough.

Hmm, interesting. What kind of action is the key, like a membrane feel ? Long length before actuating ?

Interested in selling one to me ? :D

Was your little blurb about it in the split kinesis project log that got me interested in fhe first place, even

Quote from: Architect;496703
Interesting, I hadn't heard about this device.  Maybe I should buy one just to play with it if nothing else.  I do also have a computer set up on my exercise bike that this might come in handy for.

Depending on your use model you might try voice recognition to help with your wrist pain. It works very well for me, and I'm on the Mac which has an inferior Dragon Dictate product compared to Windows.

EDIT: I don't know what kind of keys they use but the keys on an playstation type controller (Microsoft brand) I got for gaming on my kids computer are crappy. They feel high quality but one of them crapped out after a year and sticks now. I'd assume they're using the same key technology here so that is something to consider.

Hmm, I don't mind the Playstation or Xbox style of button, biggest thing for me will be adjusting to the trackball probably.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Alphagrip
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 January 2012, 16:06:29 »
I just received one of these - had to try it out regardless. Interesting device, I like how it forced you to very lightly hold it. I can't imagine using this for serious use but I like the trackball.

Best use might be a controller with custom mappings using ControllerMate or similar software.